Tree of Savior Forum

How good is Rune Caster now in Rank8?

Hi there,

I was wondering how good Rune Caster is in the new content, there is not to much on the forums about it. It is supposed to be a ‘secret’ rank and the cooldowns are extremely long and so are the casting times (still 3s a spell even with wiz3). I’m considering going Wiz3>link1>sorc1>rc1 then wl 1+2 or wl1+sage1

So my question is does Rune Caster do well in lvl 315 content is the damage still really high but on the extreme cooldown?
Or am I better off taking sorc rank 2?

Short note: not planning to take the ice rune also not planning on taking cryo ever.

Kind regards

No real change as far as I can tell. RC lives or dies based on whether R9-10 has a new ice damage class it can buff.

I should add it to the main post, I do not want to use it for any Ice spells!

That’s what it will be used for, though. That’s sortof like not wanting to use Linker for Joint Penalty.

1 Like

I’m personally not planning to use the ice damage boost, I’m more interested in the two nukes and one supportive ability.

I’m planning to take Rune of Justice and Destruction for the damage it provides.
I just want to know if it’s really the highest nuke available in the game as the cooldown and the casting time suggests.

If for example the damage from spells from Warlock2 is equal or higher I would not take it, this I would like to know!

From a DPS standpoint, Warlock and Featherfoot will both do way more damage than Runecaster over time because of the long cooldowns and single burst rotation Runecaster has. In 3 seconds, Runecaster does more damage, sure. But then you do nothing for a long time. Also, Rune of Ice + Ice Wall does more damage than Runecaster’s actual spells by a lot.

I am a rune caster, i can tell you rune of destruction damage is really nice, since it has a bouce mechanic and the more mob, the more damage you do. Like 40k initial hit and 25k per bounce and i think you create 1 bounce per monster hit.

Rune of justice on the other side is worse than 2 Magic missiles and it’s harder to hit, I never use it myself.

for Utility i like rune of giants for map exploration and rushing dungeons.

Rune of Ice an the ice boost is indeed a strong skill, managing to get 140k snow rollings, 10M damage ice wall railguns (with monk), 40k per ice pike…

As for a build advice, since you are going linker, maybe you could go Necro, or linker 2 for r6.

As for Wiz3Cryo3RC1 in rank8 maps. Well you have rouble with some mobs, indeed. high MDEF are a pain in the ass, others can be somewhat dealt with.

i mean if you are only casting rune of boom, then really it’s basically the same a lot of other mages are hurting in terms of damage cause they need to stack so much power to get past the 1-3k mdef. RC is really untouched in that regard cause of really high scaling. If you don’t plan to pick up anything ice related though i’d recommend going for heavy support options with wiz3 (as any damage options with out cryo3 will be subpar), and even then cryo3 is pretty decent support. and r8 being w/e you want

rune of justice is still really bad though and if i were to make a new rc one day i wouldn’t even bother with it

Hmm so rune of justice is totallly not worth it according to u both, that’s a bummer.

What about protection?

rune of protection is not very good either. I find spending points into it to not be very worth it becauee you take time to cast it. Use 100 silver to cure status ailment vs 500 silver of 1 rune to cast rune of protection and 3s cast time vs instant cast.

wiz 3>linker 2>cryo 1>kino 1>rune caster here

also. I dont know if linker 1 is relly enough in your build. Try wiz3>linker 2>rune caster> WL 2
wiz 3>linker 2>sorc 1> WL 2

I do not think rune caster and warlock have good synergy because other alternatives with these classes individually bring more to the table

Well that’s to bad if just Justice or Protection was a good spell I would take it, since I have no use for the Ice spell and there is already a better spell for protection that everyone can take and justice does no good damage.

Rune of Destruction will be pretty nice as AoE, especially cause you have Linker in your build.

For single targets though (bosses) it’s not that good cause you don’t get the bounce damage. Rune of Justice is decent in these situations, it doesn’t have insane damage, but hits 5 times and has better CD. Personally, I don’t find it that hard to aim as well.