Tree of Savior Forum

Hoplite improvement ideas

Some buffs that would be great to see for Hoplite.

1. Stabbing: Honestly a great skill as it currently is. The one thing I would request is that the Evasion attribute be changed to either Stability (cannot be knocked down/stunned), or perhaps a frontal block while channeling. Evasion is kind of pointless since you already decrease your evasion by 450 with lvl 15 Finestra in the first place.
  2. Pierce: This skill falls off extremely early, and none of the attributes really help it that much.
  • Redesign idea: Pierce deals damage and places a debuff on the enemy. The damage is about ~450% x 3 at max level. Deals an additional 2 hits if the enemy is already affected by the [Pierce] debuff.
  • Pierce Debuff: Increases damage the enemy takes from Piercing attacks. Lasts 5 + (1 * skill_level) seconds
  • All attributes removed except for Enhancement.
  1. Finestra: A great buff, which tries to not be OP by decreasing evasion significantly while increasing crit chance and block chance. It could use some QOL improvements.
  • Duration is now flat 300 seconds
  • Attri: Finestra - Physical Damage, replaced with Finestra - Just The Tip. While [Finestra] is active, all Hoplite damage skills have a 10% chance to [Bleed] the target for 6 seconds.
  1. Synchro Thrusting: Honestly this is just a really bad skill outside of the bandaids offered to Murmillo (and the synergy with Bunshin on Shinobi). So I have another rework idea for it;
  • Redesign Idea: Synchro Thrusting is now a cooldown buff.
  • Cooldown of 60 seconds, lasts for 5 + (1 * skill level) seconds.
  • Increases your critical attack damage and blocking chance by 300.
  • Attribute: Synchro Thrusting - Advantage: Hoplite skills have a 20% reduced cooldown when striking bleeding targets.
  1. Long Stride: This is the skill that originally brought me to Hoplite once upon a time. It had a crazy range bug that made it super fun to use. This was unfortunately “fixed” at some point, and the skill has been relatively not fun ever since.
  • Attack range is increased significantly. When you begin activating the skill, your window zooms out, showing you a large area that you can stride to.
  • Animation time reduced by 50%.
  • Attribute added to remove the Knockback/knockdown effect from Long Stride
  1. Spear Lunge: Functionality of this skill has been absorbed into Pierce, therefore I’m proposing a redesign for it.
  • Redesign Idea: Spear Lunge is now a channeled damage/push skill.
  • The Hoplite begins advancing forward, spear out - damaging enemies for ~250% every half second and pushing them back. If wearing a shield, projectile attacks are blocked. 1 + (0.5 * skill level) targets (max 11 targets).
  1. Spear Throw: A decent skill in its current state. Arguably its not used for a few reasons (bug related as well), so I will address that with some changes.
  • The targeting crosshair for this skill can no longer exceed the actual range of the skill. (this is a bug in the current form that I’m suggesting gets fixed).
  • Animation time reduced by 50%.
  • Damage increased to ~900% x 1 hits at max level.
  • Attribute: Spear Throw - Precision: Critical strike chance increased by 7% * attribute level (max level 5)

So what do I think I’ve accomplished with these changes?

1. I’ve made some underused skills more meaningful, especially to people that invest more than 1 circle into the class.
  2. I’ve taken some of the fall-off skills, such as Pierce, and made them more future-proof by having stronger effects.
  3. I’ve added some QOL for Hoplite via the buff to Finestra
  4. I’ve added some synergy for the class with the Bleeding attribute on Finestra
  5. I’ve made two skills significantly cooler then they currently are, specifically the lackluster Long Stride, and the not-quite-on-the-mark Spear Throw.
  6. I’ve made Synchro Thrusting something that actually fits with the class theme, while also allowing more skills in the kit to be applicable to people that don’t want to focus on Hoplite only.

Anyways, just thought I would throw ideas out since although the class is functional for builds, its lacking in -oompfh- that would make it very desirable.

Thanks!

Additionally, having finestra, synchro & long stride to be not weapon locked or auto-weapon-swap would make hoplite a lot more attractive apart from the usual dragoon, fencer, reita and lancer combinations.

Heck, it could even bring some weird hop-doppel builds which might be fun.

1 Like

Pierce is really strong on bosses and doesn’t fall off at all.

There’s also already a hop doppels build that’s rising. Sword pelt.hop3 doppel3 ret2

I like the ideas.

Agreed on Stabbing increasing evasion being kinda counter intuitive.

Pierce doesn’t fall that much actually, it deals ok damage.

Faster animation for Long Strid and Spear Throw YES PLZ

Yeah I’ll admit I was probably harsher then I needed to be on Pierce. I think the dependence on [Shock] to bring it to 6 hits on bosses, and the very slow casting animation coupled with being locked in place while using it is making me biased against it. I know Shock is relatively simple to get in the Swordsman tree (at least, Dragoon, Doppel and Lancer have easy access to it) - but it feels very underwhelming to me.

If I could present a second idea to how Pierce can be improved, it would be doing one of two things;

1. Leave the skill as it is, slow & locky - but give it a +AAR of like 10 //making it more useful for things that aren’t bossing
  2. Remove the slow & locky animation, and increase the attributes chance to Bleed significantly //making it more useful in a general sense, but still mostly just strong for bossing

Most of the Hoplite’s animation are really clunky tho, they could really use some speeding up.

Also i like the idea to make Hoplite around bleeding debuff, if only bleeding actually dealt any damage tho …

1 Like

spear throw decent???
wtf lol, you could cast 3 skyliners in the time it takes to for that stupid thing to land at point blank range, dont think 50% animation speed will do much, they already have its big brother Dethrone to copy from lol

long stride yea it would be alright if they get rid of its stupid knock back and sped it up, cooldown on it is too long though, considering how little damage it does and its almost non existent utility.

Old long stride had a 50 second cooldown and 0 overheats. Current version had a 30s cooldown and 3 overheats. I would argue that the cooldown is just fine.

Hop 3 is fine even if its overrated.
Other cls like Barbarian/Corsair/Cata need more attention know.

I wonder are any Murm around that would drop Pelt3 or Rode3 for hop1?

1 Like

That i won’t argue with, but it doesn’t mean nothing should change in Hop too tho.

Let’s hope that Imc’s balance patch for lower ranks fixes some problems

Is this lower-rank patch a known situation? I’ve never heard about it.

Check this topic, it said somewhere that they wanted to some swordman work at the end of the year and new patch says Hunter and Scout could be reworked too

wut?

that doesn’t justify how weak it is, compare its CD relative to anything remotely useful, if they are gonna keep the 30s cooldown they better give it huge damage to compensate.

im pretty sure they reworked the skill already. but just shoved it into reti and now we have Dagger finish.

You weren’t even talking about the damage of long stride, and you were complaining about the cooldown. That is why I responded to you entirely about the cooldown.

I think you must not have read my response though. I’m telling you that it had 3 overheats, and a 30s cooldown. That is not a long cooldown to have for a mostly-utility skill that has 3 overheats. Yeah the damage is crap, but thats not why this skill exists. Arguably it was only a good skill back when it was bugged to have insane range - which is why I proposed giving back a lot more range in the original post.

its a long cooldown to have period.
giving it more range isnt gonna do anything but make it a gimmick