Tree of Savior Forum

Help with Sword/Hop/Dragoon/Lancer Build

Need help trying to build and spec out a Lancer class with Dragoon and Hoplite in it. I’m new into this game and after playing around with the skill simulator over at TOSguru, i came up with this. Although, I know its not the best build and it needs major optimization to make it better. Hoping the people of the official forums could help out.

Is this a pvp build?

If it’s a PvM/PvE build, I’d recommend something more along these lines:

https://tos.guru/itos/simulator?tinyurl=yah4xlyc

Reasons:

• Sharp Spear isn’t so good atm, as it only applies to your natural crit and not weapon crit
  • Synchro Thrust deals too low dmg in too little area, not worth it at all
  • Pierce deals good damage against bosses, it gets +1 hit if you wear dragoon helm too.
  • Spear throw deals reasonable AoE dmg, slow animation tho, you can take off some points from this skill to max Spear Lunge if you’d like. Spear Lunge is good because it ignores 50% of enemy pdef.
  • Dragon Soar is Dragoon’s strongest skill, you need to max it. It gets 50% def ignore when enemies have fear so you need Dragon Fear too.
  • Dethrone has good AoE but none AoE atk ratio. This means it’ll hardly ever hit all mobs it could of hit due to it’s AoE.
  • Dragon Tooth is good to max because of 50% def ignore too. Def ignore is the most important thing endgame.
  • Prevent not very useful in PvM, you can forget about it.
  • Unhorsing also pretty meh in PvM.
  • Rhongomiant always only hit 1 target, but it’s reasonably strong (good and fun against bosses).
  • Crush + Quintain are your bread and butter for Lancer, you don’t need to max Crush, but I like the -15% atk debuff it does.
  • Initiate further improves your def ignore by 10%, super good.

This is obviously a very bossing-oriented build, but it gets very high damage against bosses at endgame because of all def ignoring. The build suffers against many targets due to total lack of AoE atk ratio.

1 Like

The build is going to be a PVE build.

Btw, why is [Serpentine] not useful to put points into?

It deals okay damage because of guaranteed crit, but it doesn’t ignore defense, it has a long animation cast (even longer than Pierce!) and only one overheat for 20 sec cooldown. It also takes way too many skillpoints, if it were maxed at lvl 10 or 5, maybe you could consider it.

The thing about endgame content is this:

Imagine you deal 200k damage with a skill that doesn’t ignore defense against a mob with 0 defence.

Now you have another skill, that’s twice as weak, but ignores 50% defense, so it would deal 100k damage.

Endgame mobs tend to have 80%+ damage reduction through defense, so doing some simple math, the first skill would deal 40k dmg, while the second skill (let’s say it ignored 40% out of that 80% reduction), would deal 60k dmg still.

So even if you have a skill that’s twice as weak, if it ignores 50% pdef, it will still deal 50% more damage than a skill that doesn’t ignore pdef at all.

Of course those are just very veeery rough maths, but it’s just to give you an idea.

2 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 1 hour unless flagged)

This is what I used when trying this build: https://tos.guru/itos/simulator?tinyurl=ydeeessz
I’ve opted for Lancer/Goon/Cata in the end.

All that is just my personal preference and the skills I’m more comfortable using. Everyone can tinker the build the way they prefer. I’ll just list here some info based on my choices.

• Joust and Rhongomiant (1) - I use mostly as gap closer and getaway. Rhongomiant is very boss oriented and Joust can be good against mobs but it doesn’t have any overheat. I preferred to spend the points on Unhorsing, deals additional damage on Beast enemies and lots of bosses are Beast, also 3 overheat.

• Gae Bulg (1) - At least one point there to benefit from the debuff the skill gives. It increases melee physical attack dealt to the affected enemies.

• Dethrone (1) - Like Gae Bulg, I put one point just to benefit from the [Trap] debuff it provides. Reduces aspd and mspd from bosses, making it easier to get around and land your combos.

• Dragon Fear, Dragon Soar and Dragon Fall - There is a combo involving those skills, feared enemies have their defenses ignored by 50% from Soar, and Soar applies [Shock] debuff that increase the number of hits from Dragon Fall from 1 to 2. Dragon Fear also provides +3 AoE Attack Ratio, which is nice.

• Dragontooth/Serpentine - I haven’t tried out Serpentine that much during the class change event, but it should combo with Dragon Fear, since it 100% crit enemies affected by slow and immobility. Dragontooth on the other hand ignores 50% of enemies defense and has 10% increased crit damage. Serpentine has quite a long animation while Dragontooth requires you to charge the skill. Your choice.

• Spear Throw - I had it maxed out just to test damage, it works better with Retiarius net debuffs. The good thing about the skill now is that it knockdown enemies and applies [Shock], so you can Dragon Fall right afterwards. Can be left at 1 point.

• Synchro and Sharp Spear - I can’t say much about Synchro because I never liked the skill, Lancer uses 2-hand spear, although now you can equip a shield in the swap slot and let auto-swap do its job, it still doesn’t attracts me. Sharp Spear has negligible buffs as it is, may be useful in the future if they change.

• Pierce - Boss oriented, mostly. You don’t get much pleasure from it when using on mobs. Combo with Dragoon Helmet for an extra hit on bosses. It also got increased overheats so you can spam when there’s nothing else left, just don’t forget to debuff boss with Spear Lunge/Gae Bulg.

3 Likes

With the skill out of the way, any idea of how to spec the stats allocation of the 52 stats on top?

Full STR? or High STR(STR 3: DEX 1)?

Guys, this class combo synergizes well? Like, skills won’t unmount you?

@sandynicole320 You can see in the simulator, if there’s a blue paw icon under the skill’s icon when you hover it, it means it can be used while mounted (if you’re mobile you’ll have to check one by one though). All skills in this build can, so don’t worry.

@Dragoonity For me, I’d go either full CON or full STR with my build, I don’t get a lot of crits to benefit from DEX, you may also wanna check in game if any of the skills will benefit from having higher ASPD. Because with Hoplite’s Finestra and your gear if you do land good amount of crit you might consider DEX. But it’s just 52 points, something you can get from gear as well so don’t worry too much about it.

1 Like

That’s great news, hehe.

Seems Hoplite Cataphract and Lancer is another popular combo in KToS?

Yes, it’s another variation for Lancer build. You just have to pick what suits you better in Re:Build. hehe

I just wish they would let you use Barbarian’s Cleave and Seism mounted as well, I tried Lancer-Dragoon-Barbarian and the buffs are just too good. It would be another possible choice for mounted builds. If you don’t mind having less skills (better sp management and less piano playing) you can try Barb in your picks, can use Frenzy/Warcry/Pouncing while mounted.

Also would be nice if Hakka didn’t have sword restriction. I would like to try that as well. At least now we can auto-swap, but at the moment I cannot invest in another main weapon for this.

1 Like

I’m fine with either Hoplite Dragoon Lancer or Hoplite Cataphract Lancer. :open_mouth: I’ve always wanted to try Cataphract, haha.

I was Hoplite Dragoon Lancer prior to ReBuild!

1 Like

I picked Hop/Dragoon/Lancer cuz it goes well with the theme of the class.

1 Like

I play CataLancerBarb and i am thinking about dropping 2hand spear builds. Cata is still in the shape of “good while being bad” , only vague traces of the swordsman rebalance remains, Acrobatic Mount only boosts 30% while increases sp comp by 25% and can be 100% uptime. My lancers sp depletes quicker than my SRs. Earthwave and DoomSpike is okayish :confused:, could have been way better. Steed Charge is still the 1 point worthy skill, Impaler is heavily pvp oriented skill, Trot is - 5 movespeed now, but atleast still 100% uptime (in the skill description it says 10 sec duration, but its actually 30), Rush is garbage :nauseated_face:

My only complain about lancer is Crush no OH and Initiate 10% defense ignore effect only 10 sec duration.

Tried HopliteLancerCata, but too many skills for me like that and i was a hoplite-user for 2 years, now i find it boring, but i agree its good.

2 Likes

The good old Crush Quintain combo for Lancer still strong? lol

yeah I am beginning to question that Combo. Without the 50% defence shred of Crush, can Lancer actually deal significant damage to high defence boss?

Oh, it was nerfed? :pensive:

Hi, are you still using Lancer>Goon>Cata? If so, can you share your Build?

https://tos.guru/itos/simulator?tinyurl=yybwrsak

Remaining 6 points of Lancer I’ve allocated to Crush, it’s up to you if you wanna pick something else.