Tree of Savior Forum

Help on Rune Caster + Sage build

Hi all! I’m currently a

Wiz2 - Pyro 2 - Psycho 2 - RC - Sage

And I can’t help but feel I screwed up smth.

Is the pyro class nerfed badly that I should change to Smth else? Like Cyro or smth? Or drop out Wiz2 to a Wiz1?

I’m trying to aim to be abit more damagey (with AOE) and some boss dps skill. Any advice? Thanks all!

If you want Runecaster + Sage, and still keep Pyro and Kino, you could try Wiz1>Pyro2>Kino3>RC>Sage2. Psychokino should be C3 for the focus attributes, that allows you to cast Psychic Pressure and Gravity Pole without being cancelled.

You can drop Wiz2 since none of the classes have cast-times. Kino would qualify, but the class innately has cast-interrupt protection (from attributes) so you can safely go Kino without Wiz2.

Unless you find Hell Breath essential, you can do without it. Like Kino though Hell Breath has cast-protection (built into the skill, this time).

Edit: I forgot you wanted to go RC. :no_mouth:

Hm. In that case there would be an argument to go Wizard 2 but it is not completely necessary since RC on its own has Rune of Protection. One way to get around the problem of casting the damaging Rune spells would be to stand inside the circle of Raise and then cast from inside it. This way you can avoid the melee units attacking you. Ranged enemies are another thing entirely, though.

1 Like

Thank you all for your replies!! Thn if I May ask, is the path of pyromancer reccomended? Will it make the build sub-optimal?:slight_smile:

There are definitely better damaging ranks tham pyro such as elementalist. Another build would be Wiz3>Ele3>RC>Sage2. Pyro kino variant has less damage to me but more CC whereas elementalist is pure damage. PyroKino has magnetic force+heavy gravity+raise+fire pillar+gravity pole for CC.

It depends on what you prefer. Purely damage wise I think elementalist is good, but because it is good it is also very common so some people want to try uncommon builds. PyroKino offers more variety in rotation of skills and have nice synergy combos

1 Like

Wiz 3 kino 3 rune caster sage 2.
Its a mahou shoujo build.

Pyromancer–specifically the Pyro3Kino3Sage2–is actually a popular choice. But between Pyro 3 and Pyro 2, the only real difference is whether you want to take Hell Breath. Hell Breath on its own is pretty good but unnecessary so you’ll have to weigh it between getting 3-4 other skills from RC.

RC gives you two damage skills (RoD and RoJ), and a spell which gives both Interrupt- and KnockDown- immunity so it tends to be important for content that needs it, like Velcoffer, if that is your goal. The good thing about Rune of Protection is that it’s shareable but you’ll need Linker to do that. That, and aside from Hallucination it’s the only source of KD immunity on the Wizard tree if you don’t count Gazing Golem cards. The damage spells, on the other hand are fine. Even on my Shadowmancer, I still use Rune of Destruction as one of my main sources of DPS.

As for Pyromancer, I wouldn’t say that the class is ‘gimped’ but given its rank level it does what is expected of it. However, it will be better if you see it as a peripheral if useful source of damage. There is a lot of synergy between Pyro, Kino and Sage although to be fair it would typically be bested in damage by dedicated DPS builds such as EleWarlock. For what it does–CC + reliable and consistent damage–the build does it well.

Inevitably, though, since you’re still at R8 (I believe?) you should expect your damage to be somewhat subpar. The ultimate test of whether a Wizard would perform properly would be whether you are well-geared or no and that usually comes about after you’ve spent some time at max level chasing optimal gear (and I’ve certainly been there).

1 Like

Wow thank you for your detailed response! I see… yeah you pretty much answered my questions. So to reconfirm what you meant, the PyroKinectSage build IS popular in that sense cause of the synergy; but damage isn’t there. If I’m aiming for more DPS n stuff, I should go ele or warlock?

In the case cause now we have that rank reset (yes I’m rank 8), should I respec to

Wiz1, ele 3, kino 3, RC1, Sage1?

Or

Is Cyromancer smth I should consider.

Or keeping to

Wiz1, pyro2, Kino 3. RC1, Sage 1 is also viable? (I do hope gettin shadow in the future lol)

Thanks for your reply! I see what u meant by CC or DPS. I Guess now I have the rank reset, I wanna consider my choices fully before I respec… so I’m not sure if I should just drop pyro and go ele. Or even cyro.

Wiz1>Pyro2>Kino3>RC>Sage2 is ok. Wiz1>Pyro3>Kino3>Sage2 is actually a pretty popular build for people who want Pyro. As Sablecoat has said, you would give up hell breath + higher level fire skills for Runecaster’s toolkit. Both works fine. However, if you decide to go with Sage1, do not go Shadow1 after. Go for Sage all the way. It is not worth to get C1 of multiple classes in this case because they don’t really have synergy.

Wiz1>Ele3>Kino3>RC>Sage2 is impossible because Kino is a rank3 class and Ele is a rank4 class. If you want a Ele3 version, drop Pyro and get Wiz3>Ele3>RC>Sage2. This is because Ele3 have a lot of casting skills and Wiz3 gives you Quick Cast in order to cast the skills fast enough, and Surespell in case you ever get interrupted. This is also a pretty popular variant for people who want Ele3 but do not want Warlock3 or FF3.

If your main concern is damage dealing, Cryo is out of the question.

In short,

If you want to go for the original plan of RC+Sage2, you can choose between

• Wiz1>Pyro2>Kino3>RC>Sage2
  • Wiz3>Ele3>RC>Sage2
  • Wiz1>Cryo3/Pyro3>Sorc2>RC>Sage2

I added in a Sorc2 variant in case you want to expand your option in getting a summoner variant for RC+Sage2. If you want to go Shadow, then drop Sage entirely.

If you want to go for the popular warlock, it would be

• Wiz3>Ele3>Warlock3
1 Like

Ah, beaten to the punch! :sweat_smile:

The above combination is not possible actually. Kino is a rank 3 class and Ele is a Rank 4 class. You will be hard-pressed to fit them in a single build. It would be wiser, instead, to stick to your original build but with a few tweaks: Wiz 1Pyro2Kino3RCSage2. It’s good as it is. It may honestly simply be a question of better equips.

I’m not sure if you’re aware, but I’ll present the suggestion anyway: you can use the tosbase builder to help you decide. There used to be another more organized builder (tos.neet.tv) but it’s no longer being updated. As far as the recent update this one below is pretty good to use.

1 Like

Hi guys!! Thank you for your input! With ur suggestions, I went with Wiz3Ele3RC1Sage1. I realized they also removed the so cold Frost cloud which was OP :frowning: I Guess these tweaks are annoying to follow existing guides.

Meanwhile, what equipments would you all reccomend? Should I go staff or rod with dagger? Thanks again :x

Staff would be best. Not only does it receive a higher boost to M.Atk from enhancements but it also allows you to equip 5 main-hand Blue Gems (+M.Atk) whereas Rod+Dagger can only let you have 3 main-hand Blues and 3off-hand Blues (+Block). Other gems are out of the question so they are not presented.

For armor, Plate is best since it is the most ubiquitous damage type in PvE. Better still, have an alternate set of Cloth ready for the sort of content that needs it. Carrying both does not weigh enough to be a problem but at least you’ll always be prepared.