Tree of Savior Forum

Help me decide between two rainbow builds

So, I’m getting pretty burnt out on trying to revolve my build around Murmillo’s Cassis attribute and Dopple 3’s crazy repeated hits damage scaling, so I’m working on making two new rainbow builds.

Currently, I can’t decide on which one I should go with.

The first one is: Sword -> High 3 -> Barb 3 -> Lancer

This build is focused around stacking debuffs for Vertical Slash and I believe I can get up to 7 of them between Armor Break (Skull Swing), Bleed (Crosscut/Thrust), Crown, Slash debuff (Cleave), Crush, Joust, and Initiate and finishing with a 7x buffed Vertical Swing. Most of the skills work while mounted, although I won’t be mounted until r8 anyways.

The second build is: Sword 2 -->Hop 3–>Cata–>Dragoon 2

This build is a full dex Spear Throw build, that revolves around throwing the spear while mounted and following up with a critical Steed Charge. Since Spear Throw is a true multihit, it will apply Restrain/Bind pretty much 100% of the time, allowing for easy slows for criting with Steed Charge. Dragoon 2 is just to round the build off and give it some decent attack skills for bossing/later game content.

Vertical Slash doesn’t work while mounted…

I’ve been trying to fit in Highlander in my Lancer build (as I mentioned in other topic), but it all depends on the viability of other bleeding skills (can’t use cross cut while mounted).

You also can’t use most Barbarian skills while mounted. Only Warcry, Frenzy, Helm Chopper and Pouncing. You won’t be able to use Cleave to boost Skyliner or other slash skills.

Spear Throw is a fun skill but it has way too long animation… You can’t use it as a reliable dmg source. Steed Charge is way too weak atm to even be considered (even worse at Cata C1). DEX builds need quick skills with nice multi-hits and Spear Throw really isn’t one of them…

Also if you’re building DEX you really want Swordman 3 for Concentrate, that’s where most of your damage will come from. Remember Concentrate is applied after skill %, tho (similarly to Blessing).

The vertical slash part wouldn’t be a big deal since it would be the final hit in the combo anyways.

…but long story short, you don’t think either one of these would work?

Dismounting and mounting in mid combat is awful. It’s even more frustrating than weapon swapping, in my opinion.

Picking Cata 1 in the second build doesn’t help you at all. Being mounted gives you just a little more speed but less than actual dashing unmounted. Trot helps with that, but having only Cata C1 means your Trot sucks.

Finestra + Double Slash from Sword3 also guarantees almost always a critical hit (i’d say chance is very, very high, like 90% or more to crit?). I have no idea how Sw3->Hop3->Dg2 would perform with DEX. Finestra kills all of your evasion and that’s one of the big benefits of a DEX build, but also gives some crits which DEX benefits from due to crit atk. Dragoon skills also have a reasonable quantity of multi-hits (except Dethrone and Gae Bulg) that can be doubled with Gae Bulg’s debuff.

DEX builds seem to be more popular among Fencer3 and Corsair3 builds, coupled with Sw3 and/or Highlander/Shinobi.

EDIT:
First build probably wouldn’t work, second build could work but I’m not entirely sure. I’d pick Sw3 instead of Cata1 though.

I’m really reluctant about going Fencer again, made one and absolutely hated it. I know they can get strong in their own right, but none of their skills felt good to use for me. It was extremely linear and spammy and bleh.

I think the second build could work, but I wanted the convenience of going fast on cata. :thinking:

Well if you hate fencers then don’t make another :worried:

Cata is usually only decent at C3, but know that you’re trading off damage for move speed cause other classes can actually give you better dps.

It’s not about making something with #1 DPS, because everyone is well aware of the 2 (maybe 3) options for swordsmen for top DPS.

It’s about making something fun to use and actually effective.

Oh I know, I’m just saying that the Cata C1 in your build isn’t really fitting well.

The High3 -> Barb3 -> Lancer build seems too contradictory, too many skills can’t be used while mounted so you’re unecessarily gimping yourself with that build.

If you want Cata 3 then go for it, movement speed is still really nice to have (and Rush/Doom Spike are decent too).

I know you said you wanted to avoid Murmillo’s cassis attribute reliance for damage, but have you thought of changing lancer in your first build out for Murmillo? You won’t have to dump millions and millions of silver into the cassis attributes that way. You could also maybe try sw3/high3/shinobi/murm. Definitely not meta, but possibly still effective.

Most murms are shinobi–>murm, anything following that path is out of the question.

1 Like

You don’t need to be Shinobi just to be Murmillo. It’s just that way since most of the skills boosted by Cassis Crista attribute can be copied by clones. If you’re gonna go Lancer or Dragoon you need at least Hoplite C2 for Spear Lunge to boost your higher rank pierce skills.

Sword -> High 3 -> Barb 3 have better synergy with Murmillio than Lancer. Most of the skills with High3 and Barb3 can’t be used while mounted, while not impossible to do (I have a Wugu3->Rouge->Hackapell so I have experience w/ mount/dismount problem) it’s really a hassle and can take a while to get used to. Remounting can be a problem if your pet gets attacked and fainted so can’t be mounted for a while resulting in a drop on your DPS.

As for the 2nd build, don’t build a character around Spear Throw. It has a 5 Overheat 10 Seconds CD now so you can’t spam it and it has a relatively low multiplier considering it has a long animation. But overall your build is okay since you need spear lunge for your Dragoon2 skills coupled w/ Level 15 Finestra, You can take Cata1 as your filler rank for the Block Penetration Attribute but if you’re counting on your Cata skills to do damage then you’ll be very disappointed.

I just made a cannoneer instead. It does what I want it to do: one-shot mobs in huge AoEs.