Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] Swordsman's Battle Manual (All classes) - By Cathexis

Hey @Cathexis, im leveling a Templar to found our guild, actually im following this build: http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/xjvx2e4cys/.
I had the idea of do it FULL CON, but im leveling solo most of the time, and is very slow withour STR, so i put some points in that STAT.
Actually im lvl 38 base 12 class (rank 2) and i have: 50 CON 23 STR… can you give your opinion or advice about what is the better way to distribute the stat with this build?
The final idea is to use the SQUIRE for support, repair and arrest on GvG, and take the advantage of the extra movement speed bonus from Cata circle 1 for run and use the recall option.

I would really appreciatte your help!

Destinado.

just an experiment, not seen in action rod3 :slight_smile:

the basic idea of a comprehensive def abolished and pressure, if necessary prompt nuuk’s

at this moment I have -> https://tos.neet.tv/skill-planner#1133aa.354555.1a263a4163.11213a4a527383

I am experiencing a major problem with mag.zaschitoy and lack of offensive skills. issue rod3/drag or something different, but with last crkl drag.

Hi Cathexis

Thanks for you guides it helped me a great deal.
But now I am unsure how to advance my Character.
I am at the moment level 183 Swords > Pelta > Hop 3 > Doppel with the goal to dragoon. My weapon at the moment is +4 Zega Spear and I have 376 STR/ 44 CON/ 10 DEX.

What weapon should I use next ? What stats should I go in the future ?

We have lots of differences allready, starting with Ranger, Highlander and Linker nerfs and finishing with GvG system.

So I won’t be surprised if those buffs are kToS only.

the problem is…
That there cannot and should not be a discrepancy between KTOS and ITOS class balancing.
Not sure I’m too keen about the two versions possibly having differences like that especially recently with some skills in the Mage circles having their entire functionality changed in kTOS making them work differently in the 2 versions.

As well as iTOS having the base dmg of Highlander’s Skyliner in its post-nerf form, and then having the skill nerfed AGAIN to 3 charges.
Essentially giving iTOS 2 nerfs on Skyliner while it remains untouched in kTOS.

Question regarding squire. When you set up shop (Repair, Weapon Maintenance), does it stay when you log out?

IMC said themselves that there WILL be discrepancy between iToS and kToS.

They can’t nerf high or ranger or linker on kToS because majority of players are playing them, and they’d be disappointed by nerfs.

Not sure what damage nerf to skyliner are you talking about though, I’ve seen only 0 cd removal

It does, so you need to stock up on materials beforehand.

That’s the stupidest this I’ve ever seen…
Nerf them because people don’t play them?
What kind of ■■■■■■ up way is that to run a game?..

And you can’t honestly tell me that you are ok with our versions being so radically different…
We are sitting here on double and triple nerfed skills

Meanwhile in kTOS:

But we are expected to do the same content in our while being nerfed to the ground and with a possibility of not being balanced the same?

It would make no sense whatsoever to “balance” the games differently because people don’t play a particular class, so let’s nerf unpopular classes so they stay ■■■■-tire and let’s leave the population ones alone because OBVIOUSLY NO ONE IN EITHER VERSION is having problems with it right?

If it was “balanced” then it obviously needed a buff or a nerf, so wouldn’t it stand to reason that regardless of version or popularity.
That “balanced” needs to be implemented in both versions for the sake of being “balanced” in the first place?..

Maybe I’m just stupid, but it seems to me that making the 2 versions drastically different, defeats the purpose of balancing it in the first place

Highlander is fine, but I wouldn’t take Hoplite for a build with it.

Sure, you will deal some extra Pierce damage, but it is not very significant on the long run and you get so many more benefits from picking Peltasta, especially for playing in a party which is a considerable portion of the game in PvE.

Right now it is not possible to go into Doppel C3 because there is no Rank 8 out yet, so that is not an option either.

But if you still want to pursue that path, it is not going to make your character unplayable or anything. Taking Hoplite still works to a degree since you can use Pierce and Stabbing with 2H Swords, but you have to evaluate if that is more important than the utility Peltasta brings to your build.

I would still get at least level 1 of Moulinet, as you will still be using it plenty in your rotation of skills and it is still a multi-hit skill.

I don’t think you would gain much from using Leather without any points in DEX, at that point it is better to focus on damage reduction and block, so I would say that Plate is still a better option in that case, or maybe even Cloth in certain scenarios.

There is not much to pick besides Peltasta, which will increase your maximum HP by +25% when you use Swash Buckling, your block by +25% when using a shield and your Evasion by +18% with Guardian (if you decide to add more DEX into your build).

Other than Peltasta, nothing else really adds anything relevant for it, so it would still end up in a standard Fencer build:

Swordsman->Peltasta->Barbarian C3->Fencer->Fencer C2 or Doppelsoeldner

Hello.

I think that it would be more valuable to go into the Cataphract C3 build for Templar since it is much better for combat if you plan to go into something like PvP / GvG and it also helps a lot more on PvE.

But either way, you should save your CON for later levels and focus on DEX/STR for now to help you level up more easily.

I would probably go into full DEX for now, until you reach 120 points or so, then I would add more STR until you reach 100 (or 50, if you don’t want to have that much STR), then focus the rest of your levels on DEX/CON.

You are not going to have as many problems once you get to Cataphract because you will be able to use 2H Spears, so it is better to get your Critical Rate up so you can land critical hits more often with your skills.

The problem is that the -Defense part of Shield Push is very insignificant unless you spend a lot of points into that skill, at which point you pretty much ruin the rest of your Rodelero kit because you will have so few points left. And in the end it is not even worth it.

The best class to complement a Peltasta/Rodelero build is Fencer, but since you want to pick Dragoon at the end then it is not good.

I would probably say that you go into Doppelsoeldner->Dragoon, as there is nothing much that you could pick at Rank 6 to cover your need for more offensive skills (besides Fencer).

You could also do Corsair->Dragoon for more utility from Iron Hook and Jolly Roger.

You should aim to get a Brandish at this point.

If you are planning to use a 2H Spear, then Catacombs Pike is your next ideal weapon. Although Brandish still works pretty fine all the way to max level.

For stats, I think you might want to add more DEX now. Maybe get it to 20~50, depending on how comfortable you feel with your Critical Rate and the amount of it you want to reach.

If you are planning to do PvP / GvG then you will need a higher amount of DEX, somewhere around 80~100 (total). Same for CON.

I don’t say it’s ok for me, lol. What I mean, the kToS and iToS ARE already quite different.

On our server Barbarians are already much more popular than highlanders (at least I’ve seen like 5 or 6 highlanders while playing and 30 or 40 barbarians). So I really doubt already popular class will get buffs.

On kToS majority of the swordsmen are highlanders, so they can’t easily nerf it to not lose already low audience. That’s why they buff unpopular classes instead.

I think iToS should also get some buffs to unpopular classes, but iToS meta is not formed yet. That’s why I don’t expect any changes soon.

But I would be glad to see ANY balance changes, as some classes are very poorly balanced, swordies are quite well balanced among themselves in comparsion to those classes. Example of OP class is PD. Example of weak classes (IMO) are Falconer2, Scout3, Pyro, Sadhu and others. Among swordsmen weakest are rodelero, peltasta3 and corsair3. They need the most urgent changes.

Regarding the vid, I’m not sery familiar with swordsmen on higher level but soloing bosses never was a problem for me, and level 200 dungeon is pretty easy for 250+ characters, especially DEX based.

Balance is pretty much derermined by class popularity. Let’s look at LoL(If you played it). There were such champions as AP Yi and AP Tryndamere. Their AP ratios were unchanged since bets, but people started to play them only at season 2. They become super popular because their hidden power was uncovered and soon they got nerfed.

The same goes to ToS, but Korean players and International players use different strategies, so different classes are stronger in those environments.

Thank you, really appreciate it!

Thought I would ask this question on this thread:

My current build path is Swordsman -> Peltasta -> Barbarian. I was thinking, instead of going for Barb3, I would switch over to Cataphract3, then Dragoon. Would that still be decent, even after going Barbarian? I don’t really enjoy the play-style as much as I thought and the concept of riding on a mount with a two handed spear sounds much more exciting.

Swordsman > Peltasta > Hoplite > Rodelero C2 > Fencer > Fencer C2 or Dragoon

Why hoplite? D: i can replace hoplite with swordman?

(my focus is pvp)

That’s kind of dumb if that’s how they balance their game. which can also mean that we are most likely not going to see rework on Stone skins, since there are a lot of priest using it.

It’s dumb for iToS, that’s why we got some linker/highlander nerfs. For kTOS they can’t risk losing players, so they try to not touch popular classes too much, I assume.

Hi there, and awsome guide! Well, I came up with this build for a Fencer who’s going to tank and take care of high priority targets in dungeons. I have written a post about it but it hasn’t got much attention. Could you guys take a look, if you don’t mind?

The idea is that I get the protection and taunt from Peltasta, plus the dodge and burst from Fencer and the crowd control from Highlander.
I could use Crown to cripple magic damagers and Sept Étoiles to burst them (I think it is important because I am not taking Rodelero for its protection to magic attacks granted by Slithering). Then I got other skills trying to get reliable and diverse damage sources, with slash, pierce and strike.

I have some questions about it:
1) Would you change Highlander C3 for something else? I’m not certain to take Vertical Slash and Skull Swing might be redundant if a Cleric in my party uses Deprotected Zone in the boss.
2) Should I take 3 points of Crown and 5 points of Vertical Slash to maximize Cartar Stroke and make it a more reliable strike damage source?
3) Are there too many problems if I leave Cross Guard at level 1? Does the vulnerability to pierce it offers scale with its level?
4) Is 50/50 STR/DEX with some CON a good call?
5) Plate, right?
6) What would you change, and why?

Thanks a lot!

Cathexis? In one of your guides. You mentioned con shouldnt be needed. Even as a tank(as a swordie youre already a tank). Up to lvl 200 youce done dungeons without con and it does work apparently.
What would be your suggestion?
As a “tank” with str and dex
I’m currently
Swords1>pelasta3>corsair or Squire
What would be your suggestion?
Corsair or squire?
And yes i love your guide ! :3

Oh and im a lvl 108 Pel3.
With 104str, 20con, 78dex

Its really up to you, Highlander and how you want to build your character.
Highlander’s usefulness is severely lacking in out version of the game.

If your going for Tank build i would probably take Barb over highlander.
As i feel Highlander is more for a DPS oriented Fencer but the probem with that is Cross Guard is pretty much the only way to somewhat reliably increase your damage, but it will only be if and when you can block an attack, which isn’t always the case even while stacking STR I noticed that i still dodged attacks quit often.
Not to mention that Highlander is limited by stagger only lasting 8s with atributes.

Dont take Vertical slash at all its BAAAAAAAD…
AMAZING ON PAPAER, But trash in practice.

And I personally think that Crown is a very underrated skill, at lvl 140 on my current highlander with a lvl 8(?) crown (story quest) Magic DMG Bosses deal 1 dmg to me.
No lie, and its incredibly funny~

No the debuff it gives does not increase but the chance of block does which is what maters to even get the debuff.

Ive been doing 1:1 STR/DEX on my newest Fencer and its working well for me.
But I couldent tell you how wll it performs at the late game, however generally for a Fencer you want 1 STR/ 2 DEX and us the revelation points for CON if you wish.

Absolutely!

I would probably go with Barb c3 over highlander for a tank build.
Only because Ive leveled a Highlander c3/Fencer in both versions and in iTOS Highlander has an amazing start but its VERY Underwhelming when you start to get to lvl 150…

However in kTOS Highlander remained really powerfull IMO.

NP, I help @Cathexis when im not feeling lazy, more so on Fencer, Corsair, Doppel questions.
Because those are the only Swordie classes that Ive lvled.

I would still go 5-10 levels in it honestly, its petty useful and theres not much else to shove points into…

The point of the vid was to show the 45 Skyliners used in 40 sec…

Meanwhile we only get 3 and then a 15 sec CD

Idk they almost NEVER Touch my Mains Riven and Vayne…

And come on… Ashe needs some buffs unpopular and bad but she got a buff then a HUGE nerf… :confused:
she HAD 100% crit… now she gets a 30% chance to double slow… wtf?..

1 Like

Thanks for the reply man! We want to use Squire for support, repair and arrest on GvG. Don’t focus so much on damage, because the principal function will be recall, arrest, and repair and buff the other members.
I was continued lvling until you answer and right now im lvl 67/10 rank 3 with 76 CON and 25 STR. Can you tell me the pourpose of the DEX in this build? Because i have 5 points on Finestra that help me with my critical rate. Is not better a CON/STR build for this?
Finally i would like to ask you the finall stats proportion, for example 3 CON/1 STR/ 1 DEX.

Thanks again for your help, and im keeping my stats point until your answer for not do a wrong build.

Destinado.

Thank you very much for your answer! Alright, now I think that Barbarian adds more burst potential to kill particular, high priority magic attackers, by having Frenzy to strengthen Sept Étoiles, and by having incredibly strong slash skills, like Seism, buffed by Lunge.

As I understand it, by moving from Highlander C3 to Barbarian C3, the only crucial skills I would lose are Crown and maybe Skull Swing. I can see that a Barbarian Fencer can burst two or three “normal” monsters more easily with Frenzy, Warcry and Sept Étoiles, as well as incapacitating them with stunning skills, like Helm Chopper and Seism. That could substitute the use of Crown in normal monsters, but what about Bosses? How well does a Barbarian Fencer deal with magic Bosses?

And, if I keep Highlander, what do you think about having Cartar Stroke as a main strike damage source? And, having in mind I don’t want to put more than 1 point in Flanconade (I think the other Fencer’s skills are more valuable in my build), is it advisable to put points in Moulinet?

Please, correct me if I’m wrong in my statements.

I’m sorry to bother you with that many questions, and thank you once again! :slight_smile: