Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] Swordsman's Battle Manual (All classes) - By Cathexis

I think they should atleast make magic def worth a damn…
Because as it stands, magic def is CRAAAAAAAAP!

2 Likes

I don’t think its that magic def is bad. Buffs like the one from pardoner are VERY noticeable. I think its a more of a issue of mdef buffs and gear are scarce or low in value.

Is taking 5 points into DWA worth it if I’m going C2 Corsair into Shinobi? I’d need to drop 5 points from Keel Hauling for DWA, and I’m wondering if it would be worth losing that extra burst in PvP to have DWA so I can do something when my skills are on cooldown in PvE.

Would it be a legitimate build to attempt C3 Cata w/Fencer, since you can use all Fencer skills while mounted?

I have a question. I wanted to run a Fencer but I wasn’t sure how much damage they deal comparatively to the other classes (obviously taking into consideration that different situations will cause different advantages). Additionally, how is their AoE? Furthermore, how necessary is Swashbuckling for endgame? I was thinking about going a PvE build of Swordsman -> Highlander 3 -> Corsair 2 -> Fencer, but would it be better to drop Highlander 3 for Peltasta instead? Also, is Corsair actually worth it if I’m not taking it into PvP situations? I’m curious about this because I feel like Iron Hook and Keel Hauling won’t be particularly effective in PvE situations, and doesn’t Double Weapon Assault become more ineffective due to Flanconnade or Attaque Composee? I know Hexen Dropper is very strong, and Jolly Roger is pretty convenient for money purposes, but it feels like I’m delving into two Circles for just these two abilities. Is this worth it or am I missing something? Would it be more worth it to delve into other classes? I feel like I might not be getting the full gain from going into those circles as I should, or perhaps I’m just not thinking about it properly.

Thanks!

@Cathexis I’m thinking of going Swordsman > Peltasta > Hoplite C2 > Cataphract C2 > Templar.

What do you think?

What do you think of these fencer builds? (mainly for PVE)

Is it okay to leave flanconnade at 1? or can I spam it with sp pots no down time at level 5 or more?

Hi @Cathexis, can you help me on fencer full guide? and their stat distribution? thanks :slight_smile:

Is there a big difference in damage between full CON and STR DEX CON build?

It is usually about trying to bait out the Ice Pike / Ice Wall before going in. I would have liked to see Gae Bulg or Throwing Spear to test out things too. But other than that, there were just a few small windows to use Impale or another CC on the mage, hope that they landed and then try to capitlize on them. But outside of that, there isn’t much else that could have been done.

Overall that is the state of Swordsman and PvP in general. Until there is actual balance to classes and mechanics, it isn’t going to change much.
And the only way to go against most things in PvP right now is with a Plague Doctor in your party.

It is a nice filler for in between cooldowns, but not a mandatory skill.

If you would rather focus on PvP and use those extra points elsewhere, I don’t think it would be too inconvenient and would see a fair reasoning for doing so.

It is the other way around, you can’t use Fencer skills while mounted.

It really depends against what type of enemy and fight it is (short, long, boss). Overall, their damage isn’t too far behind other popular damage builds like Dragoon and Doppelsoeldner, but there is still a difference between them.

Depends on whether you took Barbarian before it or not, so it could go between decent and good.

It helps a lot in party play, but it isn’t mandatory if you would rather pursue a different path with your character.

For PvE it is mostly about Jolly Roger to acquire more silver through it, while Hexen Dropper fills the damage need in your build for taking Corsair and it goes well with Attaque Coquille.

Double Weapon Assault becomes a tool available for when you are running low on mana and waiting for your SP potion cool-down to come up (Very long fights, like some world bosses).

Hexen Dropper is a pretty great burst skill, but it isn’t game changing by itself. The main factor would be Jolly Roger which among other benefits, would give you a considerable amount of money over time as the amount of silver is quite significant considering the number of dungeon runs and other instances with high amounts of mobs you will be doing through your journey.

Only you can say if it is worth it.

You have many things to choose. From Corsair’s utility and burst, to Barbarian’s CC and mobbing, to Doppelsoeldner’s raw damage, to Fencer C2 Attaque Composee to even Peltasta’s AoE taunt.

There is not a single build that has it all and the different classes suit different playing styles and goals people have in mind for their builds.

In the end it comes down to what you want out of your build.

I think it would be better if you went with Cataphract C3 instead, as maximum level Trot is one of the reasons for choosing Cataphract (and Rush is a nice plus).

Both builds are pretty solid, just make sure to get level 1 of Rim Blow to have an extra CC skill on your kit, just in case.

Other than that, I think both builds are viable, just as long as you fully understand the reasons for which you are picking Corsair on both of them.

What? You gotta be way more specific and show me that you have at least read this guide and started making your own build around the information it contains.

Depends on the classes of the build, but it goes from a significant difference to a really big difference.

Thanks, do you think it’s better to max flanconnade over other skills? I’m not sure if SP potions could handle it if it’s maxed or at a higher level

Regardless of whether it is level 1 or level 5, assuming that you spam it non-stop, not even SP potions would be able to cover your SP consumption (you would run out of SP fairly quickly).

But with moderate use and appropriate control of your resources, you can use it quite frequently even as level 5.

###Guide update:

I was trying to update the Highlander section with the new changes, but the forums are very slow right now so I think I will do it at another time.

Just for those of you who haven’t read it yet: Sky Liner confirmed to have 15 seconds cooldown and 3 Overheat.

Thanks Cathexis <3

In regards to the AoE point, I was also wondering about the combination of those two classes–I heard that Barbarian falls off for damage unless you go Strength, but for Fencer isn’t Dex preferable? Wouldn’t this cause problems?

I think my primary struggling point at the moment is between Doppelsoeldner and Fencer. As an individual I really like classes that are elegant and quick, like Fencers (and I love their outfits), but in games I somehow always end up playing classes that are more about hitting really big numbers and are somewhat brutish like Doppelsoeldners.

I know that this is just a personal issue and you might not care for it too much but it’s really been eating me up inside, which probably just sounds stupid haha.

I know I will enjoy Peltasta because I like being able to help out the party with taunts; seeing as how there isn’t another effective taunt in the game, it just sounds useful. Otherwise, I know that I don’t typically enjoy spear classes–I much prefer swords.

From there, I really like Hexen Dropper and Roger, as well as DWA now, but I don’t think I like the other abilities as much, namely Iron Hook and Keel Haul because they don’t sound useful at all for PvE. I still might consider it if the abilities are really just that good, but at the moment, because of that, this leads me to thinking about either Highlander or Barbarian Fencer/ Highlander or Barbarian Doppel.

To me, Highlander Fencer sounds like it’d be very strong single-target, but I want to be somewhat useful for AoE purposes and deal enough AoE damage to maintain aggro but I wasn’t certain if it would be enough.

Barbarian Fencer sounds like it’d balance out quite nicely in this department but as aforementioned I’m a bit confused about the stats?

Highlander Doppel sounds really nice because though they get their powerful AoE abilities later, they have Highlander which I think would help with bossing and decent enough AoE from Doppel’s sheer output.

Barbarian Doppel sounds like it’s just monstrous in terms of AoE capacity.

(Correct me if I’m wrong about any of the above since I didn’t get to play ToS OBT or kToS)

I guess more than anything, I don’t know what I’m looking for. I don’t want to be full defensive, but I don’t want to do a boatload of damage yet be so squishy that I’ll just die (obviously). I want to do enough AoE damage to maintain aggro and kill things as well as be useful and relevant when fighting bosses. I typically like graceful characters but I think it’s also always been a fantasy of mine to just be able to deal loads of damage. I don’t plan on PvPing with this character, either, so at least that’s just out of the way. Am I simply asking too much?

Do you have an idea for what might match my fancy?

For Swordsman>Peltasta>Hoplite>Cataphract C3>Templar build. Around what percentage is the difference of damage between full con and all around stat build? How is it compared to survivability that full con build have? I’ll be focusing on party play.

For one thing they could allow two different types of arenas - with regularized gear and your personal gear.

That regularized gear’s mdef is most likely super subpar to what you could get yourself. I really do hope it gets added, it’s not like it would be a lot of work. People are farming the gear for a reason.

I think that you shouldn’t worry too much if what suits the build you are looking for is Barbarian->Fencer.

Barbarian doesn’t necessarily fall off, you are just going to replace your main damage source with the Fencer skills, while maintaining previous skills as either utility or to improve your performance during certain scenarios.

It is true that with Barbarian->Fencer you might not kill as fast as other builds that are focused on pure DPS at higher levels (Doppelsoeldner, like you said), but with Fencer you will still have a pretty decent killing speed and it shouldn’t be something to worry about.

As for stat points, like I said, you will replace your source of damage with the Fencer skills as soon as you turn into one, so the DEX build will take more advantage of said kit if you have been following one. So there is no real conflict in there, plus Barbarian skills are better early on with DEX rather than STR.

If I follow your points:

• Not be full defensive (it depends on your stat build).
  • Be so squishy that will die (it depends on your stat build).
  • AoE to maintain aggro (comes from Peltasta).
  • Kill things (comes from both Fencer or Doppelsoeldner).
  • Relevant when fighting bosses (both are).
  • Graceful (I think generally Fencer is the one considered graceful, although I see Doppelsoeldner being graceful in it’s own way).
  • Be able to deals loads of damage (Both do, although Doppelsoeldner could hit for a higher number while Fencer could hit faster).

And it applies to other builds too, like Dragoon. So it really comes down to your preference that could be because of the skills, weapon or even costume you want to use.

There is not one build that can do everything at a 10/10, but you can build a character that fits most if not all of your needs at an adequate level.

They have the same survivability.

About damage, it could easily go around 50%.

I plan on using these two builds and have some questions regarding them, feedback would also be appreciated.
First, is this stat allocation fine?
Fencer: Dex 2-Str1-Con extra points from quests etc.
Doppelsöldner: 2Str-Dex1- Con same as Fencer
As Fencer I’m inlined to take peltasta for the swash buckling but I’m not sure, how well do the higher skilled buffs and especially refrain work later in the game? Swash Buckler should be useful at any level.
Also, I couldn’t find out, but is it enough to have used Double Pay Earn and have a party member kill an enemy you’ve already hit before to trigger the buff?

How do they have same survivability? I think full con build will have better survivability because magic damage can’t be dodged so the only way to sustain it is by having large HP. CON also increases block rate so it compensates the lack of evasion.
So how does All around stat build have same survivability with full con build?

@Cathexis please check my guide http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/bmueihh4t8/

I am unsure about whether you are aiming for PvE or PvP, but for the first build:

• I would move 4 points from Wagon Wheel to Cartar Stroke
  • I would get at least 1 point on Redel, as you most likely will need that extra skill on your rotation.

For the second build:

• I am not sure why you are mixing Swordsman with Barbarian and Fencer, since they are no auto-attacking classes, so it doesn’t have too much synergy.

Restrain isn’t really of much use in PvE, and in PvP it is for some builds that go into Swordsman C3 to get the most out of that skill (the chance is reduced in PvP).

So I would take Peltasta instead.

For now (at least in kTOS) it works if you activate it and have someone from your party kill the enemy. However, we are unsure if it is a bug or if it will be fixed, and also if it is something possible in our version. So until someone confirms it does, then I wouldn’t count on it.

Because you only need x amount of HP to tank everything in the game and every Swordsman build can get it by just adding a few points into CON.

Once you are past that point it is just more efficient to kill faster rather than try to tank the damage.

The only place where people are really using Full CON is on Earth Tower and even if you are Full CON you are going to die in there if you try to tank the mobs after taunting them. So it makes no real difference, you will have to walk around with the aggro on mobs while your party kills them, and the extra amount of HP you have doesn’t really do anything for you.

Looks good, I would do a few minor changes:

• Add 1 point to Wagon Wheel to have an extra CC skill.
  • In my opinion Dust Devil doesn’t need that many points, since it is mostly a CC skill and it’s damage doesn’t scale too well.
    I would rather keep it at level 1 and use those points into Jolly Roger, Iron Hook and Keel Hauling.

Other than that, everything else is good.