Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] Swordsman's Battle Manual (All classes) - By Cathexis

You completely misunderstood my point :cry: Didnā€™t try to attack any of you, just calm you guys down :yum:

I totally agree with getting them off the high skyliner horse. If only because it will leave a large part of swordsmen playerbase disenchanted when the actual game hits.

And I totally agree he is not in the right saying that highlanders can go toe to toe with barbarians in terms of damage. Thatā€™s some delusions there alright.

All I mean is, both of you got really explosive really fast and as much as I enjoyed it because it was very informative and through it people can see what both classes give to a playstyle and can further decide easier as to which one to choose - I think both of you are getting a bit too invested into it.

For me, it is a moot point. We donā€™t have foresight as to what will change in the future, but Iā€™m all for theorycrafting about it. You know my thoughts first hand as you were the biggest receiver of my spam after all :grin: and I laugh at a lot of those people saying This is the best That is the best. It just looked to me as both of you were slowly becoming more and more hostile and thereā€™s no point to it mate. Thatā€™s the moot point.

And I grew up watching friends, donā€™t you dare hate on the show that was such a big influence on me xD

@Cathexis how does kunai comape with hexen dropper without clones? thinking if i should take shinobi or corsair c2 in my fencer build. Also which of the two builds would you personally go for?
Also how does composee compare to the skills mentioned above?

sw > peltesta > hl 2 > cors > fencer > cors
sw > peltesta > hl 2 > cors > fencer > shinobi

Asking about all Warrior class skills thats donā€™t have AOE ratio description on Tosbase.

With Warrior basic AOE ratio : 4
are those skills that donā€™t have AOE ratio description basically have 4 AOE ratio ? ( i.e Pierce, Dust devil, Hexen Dropper )
or
We need skills that have AOE ratio description to be an AOE skill ?
i.e Crown has 0 AOE ratio.

I see. Thanks for clarifying that.

@NasiBubur
Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s the latter.

among 4 types of classes. 80% swordman classes considers most outdate classes (need some lifts or buffs) where were stopped being upgraded after lv200. if you really notice patch notes since last iCBT2 to latest krToS, only a few swordman classes are reworked / buffed like cataphract, dragoon while many others are still having issues. i am not saying they are entirely bad after lv200. but they are just not the best if REALLY REALLY REALLY compare to cleric/wizard/archer which had a lot upgrades between iCBT2 and today krToS.

1 Like

Hello @Cathexis and everyone!

First of all, thanks for spending your time doing this guide, amazing stuff hereā€¦Iā€™ve been following your guides to create my first Hoplite in iCBT and we have a pretty solid information here.

Now, with the EA opening very soon i have some question to build my ā€œlastā€ version of my hoplite, a better one in that case. I made a build with the basic ranks that we will see in every Dragoon (SW1>Pelt1>Hop3>Dopp1>DR1)

Here the tree : http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/tsu4328do2/

A second version made with some help : http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/pd2bjpkldi/
Both are pure oriented DPS.
PS: I inverted the skill points of Stabbing and Pierce, but you can analyse in that way too if you want

Explanation :

• Bash : Only have a use for CC, and we already have that in Peltasta + Doppel (Umbo + Mordel)

• Synchro : I donā€™t like this skill, i heard that got some changes, but still lacks something (only for me and me)

• Long Stride : Itā€™s a moving skill, i tested it in iCBT and something felt strange about this skill, but iā€™m gonna give it another shot

• Spear Throw : iā€™m unsure about this one, i do know that changed since our beta in kTOS (0 cd and other stuff), but itā€™s better to leave it at Lv1 or 5?. If itā€™s better to have just for utility (Lv.1), iā€™ll just put the rest on Stabbing (if itā€™s the case) PS: Inverted here : Piercing > Stabbing

• Gae Bulg (Fate itensifies) x Dragon Soar : Dragon Soar is even good? i put 1 point for additional damage skill + shock att. Gae Bulg itā€™s a one hit truck damage but itā€™s useful? (talking about the Lv.5 att)
    EDIT: Dragon Soar itā€™s a multi hit skill that can hit 1k per line, soā€¦stuck in the choice about this section

For the status in the iCBT i used 4:1 (STR:CON), but iā€™ll change it for the Pure STR build that you said, i think it will work better 9:1 (STR:DEX)
Edit: Iā€™m gonna change it for a better STR:CON based and build my critical rate based on gemā€™s

Sorry for the long post LOL. If you guys have something to say or add in my build, please, feel free to argument about it and sorry for any mistake on my english

Thanks again for the guide!

1 Like

@Cathexis Based on your experience with end game dungeons in kToS how much crit is needed for a Hop3 build to land say around 70% crit consistently? I tried looking up the crit res on level 270+ mobs on Tosbase, but their crit res fluctuated greatly from 10-90. Bosses seemed to have around 70-120. I was planning on building around maybe 70 dex on my Hop3 build and letting Finestra take care of the rest, but Iā€™m unsure of how well 220 base crit (70+150 from Finestra) stacks up against end game mobs and bosses. Also Iā€™ve seen from the majority of Korean vids on youtube, most of them build their swordsmen to have around 20k hp. Would you say that is a suitable amount for end game dungeons such as Earth Tower?

@Kaworo
From what Iā€™ve seen in a few vids of Spear Throw, level 5 seems to do a considerable amount of damage for a 0cd skill. I think the person was hitting for 6-7k crits with Spear Throw as opposed to hitting 2-3k crits with their auto attacks. As for Gae Bulg versus Dragon Soar, Iā€™m also debating which is better. Gae Bulg only hits once at a set distance away and doesnā€™t hit that hard but does provide an AOE buff/debuff for 5.5-7.5 seconds. Dragon Soar is actually pretty good DPS since it hits 5 times so its scales well with a high strength build. What Iā€™m debating is whether itā€™s better to have maxed Gae Bulg for party play with the added 2% buff/debuff from attributes and the 2 extra seconds of AOE, or the added damage of having another strong multi-hit skill with a low 15sec cooldown

Hi @Relish, thanks for helping.

Isnā€™t Serpentine the multi-hit skill besides Dragontooth? I Thought that Dragon Soar only gaves a strikes that launches the enemy. If Dragon Soar has multi-hitsā€¦iā€™m more unsure than never haha

@Kaworo
I am fairly certain that Dragon Soar is a multi hit skill. All of Dragoons skills are multi hit except for Gae Bulg. Let me see if I can dig up a video with Dragon Soar in it.

Here we go, at 0:37 he uses Dragon Soar and you can see that it does multiple hits:

@Relish Thanks a lot for the video, with 3 multi-hits Dragon Soar can overpower the Gae Bulg (?dunno). If itā€™s the case iā€™m gonna edit the post to have a better fixed answer later. And if it does, better swap levels with Gae Bulg or something.

Personally I will be taking gae bulg. Iā€™d like all 3 multihits but I want the +15% damage ( weakened state ) and +10% from the circle aswell. I think it will do wonders on world bosses.

But gae bulg is definitely more of a support skill, even though it has nice damage. Iā€™m looking forward to guild wars so Iā€™ll take it in case it comes useful there.

At the same time it seems like dragon soar is stronger then dragontooth. More base damage, better per level damage, better attributes and a hidden attribute that should do CC aswell but for now apparently doesnā€™t work. I guess itā€™s the worst of the three in there just in case someone would want to have all 3 multihits?

I would defiantly take Gae Bulg to 5 if the attribute does indeed add 10% to the debuff, but currently Tosbase lists it as maxed as level 1 for the attributes so Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s just a typo or if it actually only has 1 rank available to it.

Also Gae Bulg is a bit annoying on a non-mounted build since you have to be a certain distance away to throw it as the skill is a set throw range rather than adjustable. Then you have to go through the trouble of picking it up again.

Yeah, nice pointā€¦i forgot about that +15% damage stuff. In anyway you can explain how the +15% damage works? i mean how to trigger it, since i canā€™t find the patch note (actually i saw but i forgotā€¦i think k) or videos about it

When you use Gae Bulg a big glowing square circle shows up where you threw it indicating the buff/debuff zone. It automatically applies I think.

Oh right, itā€™s not +10% Iā€™m dumb. It said lvl 5 gae bulg required, not that it has 5 levels xD

I think it might be a placeholder for it and values might still change, I doubt +2% would be something they would promote xDD

@Kaworo you hit something with gae bulg, they get a debuff I guess and then other sources hitting it deal 15% more damage? I only played until 200 level donā€™t take my word for it ^^

I meanā€™t about the weakened state stuff(15% + 10% from the att, if i got it right), or itā€™s just the same thing? If yes, you can just nevermind

No no I am wrong. +15% is weakened state apparently, +10% I assumed was from the attribute but its 2% apparently.

Hereā€™s a vid of a Dragoon with maxed Gae Bulg + attributes. I donā€™t think the square AOE shows up unless you have the attributes from the other vids Iā€™ve seen. I think the regular debuff just applies to whatever is initially hit in Gae Bulgā€™s hitbox.

The damage isnā€™t too shabby maxed. It hit for 7k w/o crit while his normal autos were critting for 2k.

@lajkonikes ooh, i see. Thanks, in that case the struggle still goes on? xD
In the video that dragoon got 2k+ per line what makes better in pure DPS scenario. But Gae Bulg have a better utility for the party if you have the attribute.

If the attribute was only Gae Lv.1 requiredā€¦In anycase iā€™ll wait for a full review so i can change here and there.

Thanks again!

@Cathexis has a maxed Dragoon on kToS. Maybe he can confirm whether the Gae Bulg attribute is maxed at 1 or 5?