Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] Swordsman's Battle Manual (All classes) - By Cathexis

hi there. i am an experience shinobi player from krToS. if you don’t mind allowing me to add some info for you.

• mijin is considered bug right now. not worth for a single point.
  • katon is specially for stealth 8 seconds max attribute. the attack damage is average. (i don’t use it to attack monster, but utilize the stealth ability to prevent enemies attacking me). lv1 is also far than enough, if you got extra skill points. then should consider raising a bit to use its attack power :slight_smile:
  • mokuton is also another skill you need to get max attribute making the mobs/enemies stalled at the position (still can hit you). lv1 is far than enough.
  • bunshin is clones for skills, lv5 is a must. it only replicates attack skill from shinobi’s kunai attack skill and swordman c1-c3 attack skills. the drawback is, very weak evasion and defense once summoned more than 2 clones. you can easily killed your own if not handling properly.
  • kunai is the best skills in attacking, lv5 no doubt. without bunshin, it still gives a good attack damage. it can attacks in range (around 5 steps from your origin position).
5 Likes

What do you think about:

Swordsman>Peltasta>Hoplite C3>Corsair>Dragoon?

• I’m mainly taking corsair for the costume here, and hook in case a sea server opens and can serve as a pvp tool once ping gets down. I like finestra on C3 too.

Or is:
Swordsman>Peltasta>Hoplite C2>Corsair C2>Dragoon better?

• If it is I don’t really mind altering my plans a bit.
1 Like

Good work Cathexis!
Still following your guide :heart_eyes:

1 Like

men this guide save my life, thank you so much. if you do a Q&A topic please let me know, i have a couple of question.

1 Like

My favorite swordsmen player/guide writer strikes again! Long time lurker of some of your big posts on the forums since icbt2 days. Much thanks to the insight and experience you bring to your guides! I plan on building separate Cataphract and Hoplite centric characters for iToS and what you’ve said here cements my faith in my builds. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Hi, I didn’t have the chance to play CBT so I have a few questions.

I like to do theorycrafting and read guides/info. For now, I plan to go Swordsman->Peltasta->Hoplite C3->Doppelsoeldner->Dragoon

I dunno if I should go 1h or 2h. I compared lvl 300 1h and 2h and saw a difference of 200-300atk, is that a lot of difference in late game? What do you recommend overall?

Can you crit with physical skills?

Is Synchro Thrusting’s animation considered slow? It looks quite decent for me in this video http://www.tosbase.com/content/video/skills/10304.mp4
I read from here: Swordie/Peltasta/Hoplite/Doppelsoeldner/Dragoon build that Synchro Trusting might be better than Pierce if you use 1h spear and shield. In theory, it does more dmg but I dunno if it’s still better in term of DPS if you cast 4 times Synchro vs Pierce with autoattacks (coz Pierce hit 4 times in ~1s) while Synchro takes like ~1s each hit.

For hoplite c3, I’m considering which skills to max between Pierce and Stabbing. First of all, I want to know about Spear Throw. Since it has 0s CD I assume it’s used as a skill filler (when skills are on CD) and a replacement for autoattack but the animation is kinda slow and you have to aim (spending 0.1~0.5s clicking on target which I know is kinda negligible) so I dunno if I should max it instead of spending the points on Pierce/Stabbing in term of DPS. Now about Pierce/Stabbing, in max lvl Stabbing deals 399dmg while Pierce deals 927dmg (ignoring attributes). From the videos I saw, I know Stabbing’s hits are slightly faster than autoattacks and Pierce does 4 hits in ~1s. I dunno how many hits you do with Stabbing and how long is the duration of the skill, so I dunno which is actually better if you consider Stabbing vs Pierce + autoattacks in term of DPS. After deciding which is better, which choice do more DPS between maxing one of them or balancing between both? Also, would you consider sacrificing points from Finestra for Stabbing/Pierce?

Why would you max Dragontooth instead of Dragon Sour? Doesn’t Dragon Sour deals more dmg? In lvl 5, Dragontooth deals 716 vs and Dragon Sour 834. Is it because Dragontooth can charge? It does more dmg if you charge it? Is the charge worth it in term of DPS though?

I also considered going Swordsman->Highlander C3->Hoplite C2->Dragoon mainly for Skyliner and Skull Swing. Would I miss a lot for those skills? How good is Bleeding + Skyliner? I know Bleeding does dmg over time but dunno what amount or %. I know Skyliner does extra dmg but I also dunno how much. I think Skyliner is better/same than Spear Throw coz even though Spear Throw does twice the dmg, it has a slow animation so Skyliner might does more DPS. What do you think?

P.S.: I’m trying to make the most optimal single target DPS swordy. Is there a build that has higher DPS?

Thanks in advance.

I just wonder is doppel c2 strong as rank 7 compare to dragoon?

Dragoon skills are limited to spear, so as far as I know, you must go doppel c2 instead of dragoon if you don’t use spear unless you want Shinobi or Templar or lower rank class.

First of all, why not both? You can have 1h weapon and off-hand(shield, dagger, etc.) set AND 2H weapon and swap between the two. You’ll be stuck on one handed for a while until you get out of hoplite circles at least and won’t be wielding 2H spear until Dragoon with the current build you’ve proposed. I do believe that 1H spear has lowest base weapon damage hence the difference you mentioned but the classes/skills themselves make up for it and you won’t be on 1H weapon/offhand forever, like I said earlier.

Yes, crits are only with physical attacks/skills. Magical doesn’t get to (though they’ll end up doing more damage than you anyways, assuming they built dps)

I don’t know if everyone would agree here but at some point you probably want to try using other offhands than just shield because you can still swashbuckle with other offhands while getting benefits of said offhand. I think Arde dagger is still a thing (it adds something like 135 fire damage to every single auto and hit in a multi hit skill, if I recall correctly and that’s universal across all classes to everyone who runs one hand/off hand setup.)

I’m of the mind that Stabbing>Pierce for skill level priority especially with the adjusted cool downs (I think stabbing used to be 40+ sec cd in icbt2). If you’ve seen some of the youtube videos showcasing Spear Throw you’d be a believer too (at least it did 180 on my opinion of it beforehand). Finestra will have 100% uptime by level10 but you’re interested in it primarily for crit chance so that your high STR build can mostly neglect dex and still crit well.

Ranking of Dragoon Skills by number of multi-hits:
Dragontooth>Serpentine>Dragon Soar>GaeBulg
The base damage number on skill builders show you damage of one hit just from the skill itself. I think GaeBulg is prioritized because of the obvious big base damage that serves well as burst in pve/pvp though I’ve heard some people making the case that since hop3 already has spear throw, GaeBulg doesn’t offer too much and that it’d be better for those who’ve taken Hop3 to max out all the multi-hit skills instead.

1 Like

Wow, thanks for taking your time to make this!! Lots of love.

2 Likes

I think it’s quite strong even with spear build beforehand but you get the most out of it with 2H sword (and there’s a bit of counter synergy with the fact that new C2 Doppel skills require 2H swords and you can only use finestra with spears.) I think Cathexis went over the differences pretty adequately.

1 Like

The one thing that kinda confused me was that you called rank 7 classes rank 8 a few times.
Other than that, it was really solid, Thanks for taking the time to do this

2 Likes

Alright, started my own section.

Since @Cathexis already included the build section in his guide, I created more like an addendum to his.

4 Likes

Hey, I was just wondering how much of a damage boost cleave (from barbarians) gets from hitting stunned monsters. Thanks again!

I didn’t see anything about hoplite 3 with throwing spear vs boss.
Also i don’t know how hp/sp regen of squire is I mean, how many point of hp/sp regen does it.

I was wondering about sword > peltasta > hop c3 > squire c2

With hop c3 to spamm throwing spear and squire to improve mana regen.

What do u think about it?

Squire C3 or nothing. C2 is useless, you will be outmaneuvered by others.

Sword - Pelta - Hop2 - Squire3

1 Like

Well. the c2 is more to improve mana regen than just maintenance, how many ticks of mana regen and hp regen does Refreshment Table ?

If someone can explain about squire maintenance and repair count and attribute, that’d be great.
Does it affect number of pAtk or mAtk? If not, so its useless to learn until Lv100, right?

Thank you. :sunglasses:

This is sample:

Increases attack equal to [Skill Level+1]x[Number of Weapon Stars]
Attack Count: ((skill base count + passive) + INT)

At lv1 is 2750 and lv 15 is 6250 while with lv100 passive it up to +2000.

This is why I’m wondering more about mana/hp regen stats xD

Skill Lv5 x 6 stars weapon = +30 pAtk/mAtk? So at level 15, you will get +90 pAtk/mAtk, right?

So what is skill base count? I just don’t understand how this skill and attributes work. Is attack count means attack limit?

Still confused. LOL. :smile: