Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] Swordsman's Battle Manual (All classes) - By Cathexis

@xechidna thanks for the answer m8 just one more question i need the 2H sword for the cross guard skill right?, btw im really loving this community everyone helps everyone its so cool x)

1 Like

Yeh you need it for CrossGuard, especially on a Fencer to nab that +30% extra dmg after a cross guard block.
Also I forgot to mention this in the other post, But I recommend that you stick with either Barb or Highlander, you get more out of them when you max just one of them instead of half maxing bothā€¦

And Im always happy to help ^-^

2 Likes

See? Wasnā€™t that hard :grin::grin::grin: good job mate!

Iā€™m planning on going with a Sword>Pelt>High 3>Doppel 2

While I was reading what you said about highlander skills, you said that Crown is a good skill to have if you plan on going Doppel C2, which iā€™m assuming is because Zucken deals more damage to enemies afflicted with shock, but Zornhau also applies shock, and has a lower cooldown than Zucken (according to the tosbase skill simulator) so you wouldnā€™t you just be able to use Zornhau and Zucken and not bother getting Crown?

Is shock just that good of a debuff to have, or is it cause Crown has a lower SP cost, or is there some obvious reason that I donā€™t see cause iā€™m bad?

@Cathexis Can you help me rate my PVE build?
Iā€™m focus on Spear Lunge & Attaque Coquille for make bonus damage to pierce type like Kunai including use Lunge for Double Slash. Thank you.

@Cathexis Thank you for the Guides, very helpful. <3

29th is coming, and i still cant choose what to play.:sweat:

Iā€™m trying to plan a basic attack 2h sword build
with as little skills as possible :triumph:

build options that i consider atm:

option 1
2h sword build (pve) barbarian c3 (rank 1-6: 5-6 skills, 8 buffs [13-14 skils]

option 2:
2h sword build (pve) (rank 1-6: 5-6 skills, 7 buffs [13 skills]

Q: what is better for my basic attack build?
sm3 buffs + hlā€™s 2h sword Mastery attribute
or
barb 3 for frenzy, warcry, seism

really not sure about barb3 because of frenzy losing stacks, i want
to focus on multiple targets using swashbuckling. (Frenzy: Maintain Stacks attribute)

Q: if i go with option 2, take restrain 10 - concentrate 3
or restrain 0 - concentrate 12 ?

also,
Q: do stat bonus from weapons remain active when switched out?

We donā€™t really know.

I am more inclined to say that ā€œnoā€, it isnā€™t worth it to separate your Templar as a ā€œuselessā€ characters.

What happens if/when they introduce an structured GvG system that requires the Templar to be in combat? Or if they introduce Circle 2 / Circle 3 with important skills that have a big impact on a GvG war?

I believe that making a combat Templar is more ā€œfutureproofā€ than making a non-combat Templar.

Besides a build like @xechidna provided you, I would also recommend a Cataphract C3 build for Templar. Especially with the limited amount of space guilds have, which makes it so that every single one counts when it comes to battle.

But if you want to go with the build you added on your edit, then the only thing"s I would change are:

• Removing 3 points from Thrust, adding 2 to Bash and one to Pain Barrier.
  • Remove 5 points from Embowel and add them to Helm Chopper.
  • Remove 4 points from Armor Maintenance and add them to Refreshment Table and Base Camp / Arrest.

If that is the case, then I would consider taking Peltasta to make dungeons more efficient with your character. Otherwise you can do Highlander C3, Barbarian C3 or Highlander C2+Barbarian C2 like you originally did. All of them are viable and they depend on what skills / classes are more appealing to you.

The only things that I would change on your build is:

• Consider placing 3 points on Bash to get the knockdown effect.

Hello,

Sure, there is no problem with that. I thank you for asking me first, I have seen some websites just take my guides without permission.

Just be aware that the guide might go through constant change once the game is released and content balance changes are made to it.

But yeah, go ahead. Thanks.

Just to add to what xechidna already said.

Both paths for Corsair are good, but generally Hoplite is better for a Corsair looking for DPS, while Barbarian is better to go into a build that focuses on short fights. So I would say that:

Hoplite->Corsair: 70% PvE, 30% PvP
Barbarian->Corsaiar: 60% PvP, 40% PvE

One is more inclined towards PvP than PvE, so that might be something to consider. Although both can do well in both regards, it all depends on your skill as a player. The percentages only indicate the tools the builds give you to use, and it is up to you how well you use them.

While Zornhau does apply Shock, it also has a longer animation delay from when you use the skill to when it applies the hit. Making it a good option for targets that are not moving.

However, Crown takes less time to cast and apply the hit, which makes it a better option to use on settings where your target is likely to move out of your range fast (PvP). Additionally, Crown also has an attribute that further decreases the SPR/INT of the target it was used on (10% more).

That is why I think it is viable to have both options on your kit rather than just one.

But it certainly isnā€™t the only way to build a Doppelsoeldner C2 and it isnā€™t required to have Crown either. Just a matter of personal preference.

If those are the classes you want to play, then your build looks good. However, Swordsman C3 isnā€™t particularly good for PvE, so I would suggest taking another class instead, like Peltasta or Highlander.

But your skill point allocation is solid on your build.

I guess that is one way you could play with your character if that is the playing style you want to have. But be advises that using normal attacks will only work at lower levels, since high level mobs will require A LOT of normal attacks to die and I am sure that they will kill you before you kill them. So you will have to use skills whether you want to or not.

From both of your builds, I think the first one is better for PvE. But I would consider getting Cleave.

Frenzy, War Cry and Seism are better.

You keep your stacks on multiple targets if you use the attribute, but you can only gain up to half of them.

Concentrate for better early game, or Restrain for better late game.

No.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

High2barb2 variant is kind of jack of all trades and the master of none, especially after skyliner rework.

High3 is great vs bosses, Barb3 is great for mobbing. IMO.

1 Like

If you donā€™t go Barbarian C3 you lose access to the two attributes that buff Warcry and Frenzy. Warcry getting 5 more targets and Frenzy not losing stacks.

• Skyliner with 0 cooldown trumps Barbarian.
  • Skyliner with 15 cooldown doesnā€™t.

If you want Skyliner, going Highlander C2 is enough.

Skull Swing reduces monster DEF to 0 as far as we know. Highlander C3 required.

However even level 285 monsters have about 300~400 armor, even bosses. What that means is that only after level 300 or 400 will Skull Swing out number Warcry and Frenzy in terms of giving more damage. However remember that Warcry and Frenzy give you Physical Attack that can crit and is applied to your base damage.

Skullswing is supposedly the same but itā€™s not so simple.

With Skullswing
Say a monster has 500 defense. You have 1000 physical attack.
You crit.
Itā€™s now 1000-500 = 500 * 1.5 (or 2 if 2H sword) = 750.
With skullswing it would be 1000 * 1.5 = 1500.
With skullswing normal hits would do 1000.

With Frenzy and Warcry
Say same scenario but Frenzy + Warcry, monster has 500 defense.
Iā€™m counting level 10 Frenzy with only 10 stacks (200 attack).
Iā€™m also ignoring the -30 defense from Warcry.
You crit.
Itā€™s now 1000+530 - 500 = 1030 * 1.5 (or 2 if 2H sword) = 1545.
Normal hits would do 1030.

Most monsters in the current patch of the game donā€™t even have 500 defense. This is purely an example. Most have less than 400 right now.

I understand how Skullswing can outweigh these 2 buffs at levels of 500++, but by then I think we will have ranks that will make us forget about these early circles, but is more futureproof? Perhaps. Just not by a huge margin.

It also means that skullswing will only trump them maybe a year into the game?

Thing to understand is Skullswing is a debuff. Bosses sometimes resist or erase buffs. Also it means for mobbing skullswing isnā€™t that great.

Also the thing is, what if thereā€™s someone in your party that applies Skull Swing for you? Then you gain the best of both worlds.

Also itā€™s my personal opinion, but mobbing is far more dangerous that dungeon bosses late game unless you count World Bosses that are meant to be killed by 30 players. Those wipe everyone anyway.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Thanks for having an organized, clean cut source of information on this class @Cathexis :). This guide helped give me a better grasp on how the class building works in this game. And showed me that even if not everyone thinks your build is the best current meta build, you can always make something that makes sense and works best for what you enjoy :). And the class breakdown was very informative.

2 Likes

Is umbo thrustā€™s armor break ability any good? Iā€™ve noticed that when people talk about armor break, itā€™s always the Highlanderā€™s SS and like no mention of UT. Was wondering if UT just isnā€™t as good as SS because UT is the only reason Iā€™m considering going past Pelt1

Is warcry 300 damage, or what? I mean, you added 530, 200 from frenzy and 300 from supposedly warcry?

Honestly I donā€™t know much about barbarian, so Iā€™m really interested in it.

Warcry level 10 is 30 per target, 10 targets = 300 + (30 from attribute) = 330

Honestly the wording in the attribute makes it seem like it gives 60 per target, it should honestly, so it should be 600 for 10 targets, but others are saying itā€™s only 300+30. No one right now can confirm or deny this with actual evidence.

Frenzy is 200 at 10 stacks = 200
Frenzy is 400 at 20 stacks = 400

Going to have to disagree on thatā€¦
since with Cross Cut it still out damages Barb on bosses. and is on a MUCH shorter CD then anything Barb has to offer.

Donā€™t forget that you have to build up to that dmg with Frenzy
and its not sustainable as long as the Skull Swing debuff, on paper and theory crafting it sounds like its stronger and it technically is!
But in a long fight, its drastically weakerā€¦

Also your DMG calc is a tad bit offā€¦

Try more like lvl 300ā€¦ so in a month or 2ā€¦

But donā€™t get me wrong here, im not trying to advocate Highlander superiority.
Both are good and very powerful it just depends on where you want to end up, true i think Skull Swing will get better and better as the game progresses.
but you also have to take into account the frequency and viability of each class and their up times for their skills.

I can confirm that its 30 per target, Ive tested it on a fencer.
Fencer has no dmg variance unless you crit because rapiers have no min dmg.

Actually its supposed to be a 2 hit (just like it walways was) with 3 overheat charges.
And I still personally think that Highlander is better then Barb with or without 0 CD skyliner depending on th class you want to play.

War Cry is only 330 dmg on 10 targets, +60 on bosses who dont have adds.

its indeed a +330 buff on 10 targes, and the wording of the skill in no way has made me to believe it was 60 per target, idk where you got that.[quote=ā€œSpaghetti, post:315, topic:153860, full:trueā€]
Is umbo thrustā€™s armor break ability any good? Iā€™ve noticed that when people talk about armor break, itā€™s always the Highlanderā€™s SS and like no mention of UT. Was wondering if UT just isnā€™t as good as SS because UT is the only reason Iā€™m considering going past Pelt1
[/quote]
Its mostly because getting more then 1 circle in Paltasta is a horrible idea.
But in essence its exactly the same skill but on a shorter cooldown and no knockback effect.

2 Likes

If youā€™re going to disagree, show at least some numbers. Cross Cut has very small flat damage and even with 15 second cooldown it hardly does much at all and the bleed is very little damage at all. Most even leave it at level 1 and those are Skyliner spammers.

Takes like 10 seconds to build up 10 stacks and it lasts 50 seconds.

Again would like to see your reasoning how it out damages any of the Barbarian skills. Iā€™m open for discussion, but youā€™re just stating it out damages other skills withno argument. Let me hear your reasoning, not your opinion. I happen to think Hoplite is the best boss killer out of all the classes, not Highlander or Barbarian.

Level 100 boss https://tos.neet.tv/npcs/57305 = 141 def
Level 200 boss https://tos.neet.tv/npcs/57291 = 277 def
Level 280 boss https://tos.neet.tv/npcs/58161 = 449 def
Level 400 boss ??? = ~600 def
Level 500 boss ??? = ~800 def

Like I said, it has better scalability in the far, far future. Who knows what kind of balances we will go through but the fact is you already have Warcry and Frezy performing well at just rank 5, while you get to wait to be on par till rank 10~12 etc. and by that time Iā€™m sure those ranks will replace our early circles in terms of damage.

Highlander is a debuffer, not a hard hitter. Highlander does not come close to Barbarian in terms of damage of Skyliner becomes a 15 second cooldown ability, even if it has 3 overcharges.

Cross Cut + Skyliner is great versus bosses but who thinks bosses in this game are hard? Especially ones in dungeon drop dead before you even get one rotation out even at levels 260. Bosses are a bit of a joke unless itā€™s World Bosses.

I am completely open for proofs. Iā€™ve yet so see someone prove it on video or screenshots. I donā€™t doubt itā€™s 300+30, however the attribute states:

Since Warcry reduces defense by 30 and adds it to your Physical Attack it would make sense that an attribute that highlights specifically that ā€œThis attribute only applies after the enemyā€™s defense is decreased.ā€ that an additional 30 attack per stack is applied to the instances making it 60 per monster. It can be understood both ways but if youā€™re just going to see it one way then fine.

Why else add in such a specific line? I mean if it is bad translation, it still wouldnā€™t make sense since I doubt the translators just add in random lines. It makes no sense to clarify that part.

No one is telling you to think otherwise either. I think Highlander is simply put a debuffer who amplifies the damage of the entire party and not a class that should excel in solo damage. Your Skull Swing is great for parties and knowing how many Skyliner spammer wannabies there will be Iā€™ll happily party with them knowing their Skull Swing will boost my damage even further.

Read above the description, and then read the description of Warcry.

Specifically the bit that says:

Bolstering your attack proportionally.

Then read the attribute

This attribute only applies 30 damage after the enemyā€™s defense is decreased.

Then read Warcry again

Bolstering your attack proportionally.

I blame bad fan translations rather than anything else.

I summon @jinfin to talk about Barbarian.

Thatā€™s exactly what she means. Bleed + 3 skyliners outdamage Barbarianā€™s combo when fighting vs bosses, because warcry is only 60 damage and Frenzy is 200, while Skull swing is 450 for 50 seconds. And it will only scale better into late game. I assume that bosses will get +~150-200 defense every rank. So around 600-700 defense at level 400, itā€™s true.

Cross cut+skyliner combo will always remain efficient becayuse itā€™s 3x2 damages with 200% base damage each. So assuming armor ignoring itā€™s 1200% of patk damage in ~2 seconds which is really a lot.

While barbarian falls off already at level 280. Itā€™s still better at mobbing, but not on bosses.

1 Like

what is this?

/20 chara