Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] Swordsman's Battle Manual (All classes) - By Cathexis

I wanna ask why you will take Cataphract C1. Every skill of Doppel make you unmount.
If you’re going to Hoplite C2 and Doppel, Hop C3 may be a better option than Cata C1.

Of course there is another option, Hoplite C3 > Cata C1 > Dragoon.

dunno, just thought on taking something else to mix up, i am sick of hop so far and am on 2nd circle.

Oh, make sense now.
You can try to go Hop C2 > Cata C1 > Hop C3 > Dragoon
Or Hopc C2 > Cata C2 > Dragoon.

Some people says that Cataphract C1 and C2 is a waste of time, I agree with them in some degree. But why not, with C2 you get a decent Trot lvl and speed, and two AoE skills, Earth Wave and Doom Spike.

[quote=“Cathexis, post:2, topic:153860”]
Umbo Thrust (Level 1): This skill has a chance to apply Armor Break (reduce defense to 0) to the target. Level 1 is more than enough to keep it’s utility through the rest of your build.

Langort (Level 1): A damage skill that has a chance to block attacks while using it. The scaling is terrible, so level 1 is more than enough.
[/quote]Umbo Thrust is 100% chance of armor breaking, according to tosbase feedback. Duration is 15s (25s CD). Dunno if it scales with levels, but I assume not.

Langort’s attribute silences the opponent for 3s, also. Pretty decent utility vs bosses at a 15s CD.
EDIT: nvm, misread. Langort’s attribute only silences if it successfully blocks an enemy. Still potential utility to note though.

I was wondering of making a swordsman for fun and item hunting.
Regardless the skills, was trying to get this build:
Sword>Pelt>R3>R4>Cors>Dopple>R7

I’m not in rush for R7, so that can wait.
But regarding R3 & R4 which is better?
Hoplite C2 or Barbarian C2? Whats the cons, pros or synergy with the other classes.

This could happen if you went Barb2:

If it does indeed happen then you’ll be all set and ready to go. Imagine Cyclone with that debuff. Then you can choose to go Barb3 or Dopp2 for more slash damage and beef up your Cyclone.

If you go Hop2 then you should also take Corsair 2 for Hexen Dropper synergy with Spear Lunge.

1 Like

helm chopper, cleave, cyclone. not many stunnable mobs will live through that lol.

also, i have this bad feeling that the first cookie cutter build to be viable will be highlander/barb3/doppel2 :sweat:

Hi fellow Swordie enthusiasts and hi @Cathexis, thanks for making this comprehensive guide. I love having a good discussions. I am currently on the process leveling another soon-to-be-Fencer (Sw>Pelt>BarbC3>FencerC2) in another server in IndonesiaTOS since most of my friend played on that server instead of my previous.

i was at 94 Sw>Pelt>BarbC2 there. With all equips stripped:
STR 104 (59 points invested)
DEX 37 (26)
CON 36 (22)

Pretty much i love my character and planning to make the exact same build.

Now i want to ask why we need more DEX instead of STR since i experienced my builds there is quite devastating in damage-wise altho lack of crits rate but i was dodging quite a lot since im on leather set + leather mastery (which i see u are also opposing). From what i see Fencer skill does +evasion in percentage and thats it. i see that as a bonus and only happens in very short period either.

My logic is that in every rank we get +10%STR so that investing in STR gives more thus compensate the needs of DEX. So DEX (crits&evasion) can be pumped in equipment. The higher rank per point in STR will be higher than those at lower rank also.

Now that you said Plate is better what i can see that my builds switching from leather > plate could snatch some point in COX to be invested in other stats.

tl;dr:

1. What i dont understand is why Fencer needs more DEX compared to other builds? Could you kindly elaborate?
  2. Does Fencer also better left to invest in plate armor set also instead of leather since many people believe Fencer is the leather-type armor that needs more crits&evasion, you could say perfect bled of tank & off-tank.

Thanks!

what should I choice guys?
Swordman C1 > Peltasta C1 > Hoplite C2 > Cataphract C1 > Cosair C1 > Dragoon C1?
or
Swordman C1 > Peltasta C1 > Hoplite C3 > Cosair C1 > Dragoon C1

maybe another build, I’m a newbie for this game

fencer has built in evasion mechanic that makes evasion stacking better than usual later in the game, which is why dex scales well defensively. it is about spamming skills which usually at a certain amount of base damage tends to scale more with crit than with str, reason for dex offensively.

leather: more evasion
plate: 15% damage taken reduction for physical and hp increase. this is big especially when you cant evade everything. keep in mind late game monsters won’t be constantly evaded for one reason or another, and magic cant be evaded so hp scales much better. say you go up vs a boss, and you have leather on, but he still hits you 3 times and without a healer you die. with plate, he may have hit you 5 times but you live (hp from mastery and more hp from a couple pieces of gear).

even iirc most archers should go 4 plate or 3 plate + leather gloves late game, and they get much more out of dex offensively depending on their build.

@pepubinhmuc95 if pve build. go pelt/hop2/corsair2 if you like dual weild (weapon swap to 2h lance for anything but corsair damage skills but this puts your swaps at lance/dagger and 2h lance, not a shield), otherwise go pelt/hop3/cata or hop2/cata2 or even hop1/cata3 for overall more damage as dragoon prefers 2h lance.

1 Like

Hello hello, newbie here! I have a few question about builds, more importantly, Corsair builds. Corsair is pretty much the class I’m most interested in and excited to play and I’d totally go corsair c3 if it wasn’t for the fact that C3 is (as I keep hearing) absolutely awful.

I’m looking to make a multipurpose tank, I really don’t like spears so hoplite/cata is a no no from me, and I don’t like ninjas so I don’t wanna play shinobi.

My first character is a level 63 Barbarian 1 currently, and I’ve been building him with a high DEX (pve) stat distribution as I was at first aiming for this build
http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/lpwbdobd5z/ while slowly upgrading my leather mastery (it’s currently 17).

And it was going well so far until I saw that I really didn’t have much in the aoe department, and the fact that fencer was an expensive class (though that should be offset by jolly roger lv10) and that it looked to be a way to upgrade my single target dps and my evasion with all those fancy skills.

Now I know I shouldn’t be too influenced, but I keep hearing that later on, people prefer hp tanks to eva ones, and I’m very interested in the cyclone skill from doppel.

I want to ask, how’s the synergy between doppel and corsair compared to fencer and corsair? I’ve also heard that one handed swords weren’t that great compared to other weapons and that sort of worries me.

I’m not worried about my stat points since I’m so early in the game, I can still go back to an high str build the moment I reach 126 basically. Plate armor attribute is just money so that shouldn’t be a problem.

If I had time, I’d make two characters with those two different builds.
(heck i’d want to make a corsair 3 third char if I could lol)

This is the exact class choices I’m running on my swordie. lvl 201 Corsair 2 atm. cors/doppel synergy is higher than corsair/fencer because 0cd skills arent synergetic with DWA but thats not a big deal since the 0cd make DWA an alternative for sp management. doppel is far stronger though. I’m going 2:1 str/dex doppel is good aoe with cyclone, but with roxona plate gloves and eventually gladiator bands (unless i go sissel bracelets) will allow hexen, dust devil, and barb skills to hit tons of targets in their hit boxes. weapon choices are fine, plus you can weapon swap anyways. rapiers are a problem though, with their low durability you have to carry 2.

keep in mind swordies still lack in damage department compared to other classes, but this is one of the builds that offer good damage potential for the swordie tree, and it only gets better when kToS barb buffs hit here. as for tanking role, at my lvl I can tank some lvls above me in sialau mission without swapping to shield thanks to okay dex roxona gear and jolly roger attribute.

1 Like

Corsair2>Shinobi here. That’s a solid looking build. The only thing I would change is to take points from DWA to max Dust Devil. If you plan on PVP then leave DWA at 1 and put rest in Iron Hook. When you reach rank 7 you won’t have time to use DWA all that much so lv1 is more than enough.

Swords have more drawbacks compared to Spears yes but Corsairs help in that department with Hexen and DWA when targets are not wearing cloth. You can also auto attack with dagger as well for pierce damage so don’t stick with Arde for too long.

If you go Doppel you’re better off going high STR. Wearing 4 plates with high defense and Aspersion buff can reduce most physical attacks to single and double digits. So in that case, don’t invest too much in leather mastery unless you’re rich. I switched to plate when I got Cor2 and maxed the attribute right away.

If you prefer Fencer than high DEX will work out better. You’ll have more damage going the other route though so depends what you’re after.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear from someone that’s already far ahead from me! Are you going 2:1 STR:DEX all the way until 280 or will you stop putting points in DEX at some point?

I don’t really mind lacking in damage department as DPS isn’t my highest priority, I’ve read everywhere that even the highest dps a swordie could pull would be no match against archers/wizards :P.

Also could you tell me some good level 40 plate gear that would last me a while? I ended up getting good leather gear (vubbe fighter gauntlets, farmed the recipe and mats myself so even if I don’t use it I can keep it for an alt/sell on market later) but now I really wanna switch and go all the way to doppel. I’ve thought about it for over an hour while doing something else and I really don’t think fencer will suit me.

Thanks for the feedback as well, never thought DWA would only need 1 point but now that I think about it since you’d only buff up to fill in during CDs it makes sense.

Should I leave spare points if I max Dust Devil, for a possible corsair 3 revamp?

I see, that’s great to hear (about the sword/corsair synergy).

Alright I’ll switch to plate then. Do you have any equipment recommendation at level 40 that would last me a while (or should I just keep leather while leveling plate mastery?)

I’ve thought about it a lot but fencer doesn’t actually looks like something I’d like in the end, doppel looks much more attractive.

Not a bad idea at all to leave spare points if you don’t plan on PVP at all. In that case you can also leave IH and KH at 0 for even more spares.

As for plate there’s no need to go crazy now, you just don’t need to up the attribute anymore if tight on cash. Leather is still good with your Vubbe and Rokas so there’s no need to make the switch immediately since stuff won’t hit hard til later on. Good time to make the switch is around 170 when the good stuff becomes available like Roxona, Superior Infantry, and Knight armour. Those will last a while whereas anything before that will be quickly disposed of because of how fast you level at that stage.

1 Like

I’d love to pvp, but unfortunately the performance issues really put me off. Is IH completely useless for PvE? If it works on boss it’d be a really strong CC and I wouldn’t mind putting points into it.

Oh that’s good to hear! I already got those vubbe gloves, so I guess I can get the rokas leather top with the quest and roll with those until 170 right? It’s not like I have much of a choice though lol, since I have to wait a week before I’m able to trade or even use the marketplace, and I have no recipes :(.

Guess I’ll also hold on my 2H sword until I reach corsair to get a good sword+dagger.

IH works for PVE but not on bosses. It’s not really needed though because you want to fight packs so CC on 1 won’t do much. Against 1 monster I find it just takes time away from my damage skills.

Vubbe and Rokas will be perfectly fine up to 170. I did just fine with them. Some people actually use them well past 200 with no issues.

1 Like

going until i cap lvl, as im still at like 93 dex including gear due to my small investment into con and spr (just enough to do full rotation or 2 before needing to pot, and slightly more magic defense) so i won’t hit crit cap vs 0 resist monsters even with full party buffs on crit values.

also, I’m fully aware that this build may need rerolled in the future as we climb to r10, but I’m assuming the vast majority will be the same way. once we get buffs to swordies, this will be a viable build as it stands atm since we are close in damage to the top performing swordie builds comparitively.

I was using lvl 75 gear mostly until i hit 170 and had 2 roxona and knights armor ready to go. now full roxona which should last until lolopanther if you even get them lol.

When I made this build myself, I said I wanted Doppel 1 or 2 or shinobi and I wanted corsair 2. Barb 2 was the lead in after pelt as I don’t like highlander or spears personally. Shinobi I decided against because its honestly too reliant on doppel for its overall damage, plus I went swordie2 on my corsair in iCBT and never again so no swordie3 build shinobi for me. If I make a shinobi it will be pelt/barb3/doppel/shinobi.

The funny thing is, so many forum posts I read during the iCBT I played were complaints about how op barbs were during lvling. Keep in mind I think this was on tosbase.com forums and this was after heavy nerf reworks to both barb and corsair which imo should have never took place, with savagery and the old corsair mechanic of stacking attack speed and evasion swordies may have been in a halfway decent dps spot.

1 Like

[quote=“Naivety, post:1660, topic:153860”]@HeianTaiga what do you want exactly? PvM, PvP, farming, dungeoning? Cataphract’s focused on mobility w/ better defense stats (Dragoon there’s just added dmg), Corsair is burst dmg/Jolly Roger/viable in pvp depending on build.

Do note that even Corsair won’t suddenly make your swordie good in PvP, CC exists, QS3 exists etc, and pvp isn’t meant to be taken seriously atm anyway, but at least you’ll be viable.[/quote]

To be honest, I don’t even know where should I specifically fall into because I’m still exploring the reason why Hoplites exist on this game (anti-boss or large targets?) but I guess I’m going to go with Corsair since I’m more inclined on the PvE side of the game.

I barely give attention to the PvP since it’s really not good at the moment though :confused:

1 Like