Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] Hoplite - By Cathexis

So, in comparison w other classes, how is this one after lv200? Also, whats the best equipment to look up to for hop 3 doppel dragoon?

The best equipment for almost every class right now is earth tower equipment. If you mean early game equipment I would suggest checking head of this topic.

Hoplite scales pretty good in late game, it has some multihit skills, Finestra and Spear Lunge as well as spammable spear throw.

is it possible to use finestra with spear, then equip a 2h sword and still benefit from crit?

no, once you unequip the spear you will lose the buff.
its however possible to switch between 1h and 2h spears and not lose it.
but the buff itself only works while a spear is equipped

1 Like

There are some people who say that multihit skills are pretty good in the late game. I am really curious why. Wouldn’t a single hard hitting skill that goes through the defense calculations only once be better? Take snipe for example. It doesn’t need to hit more than once and it deals massive amount of damage.

example:

5000 + 1000 x 1 = 6000
or
500 + 1000 x 7 = 10500

skill dmg + atk x number of hits

1 Like

Right, it may seem like armor will comewhat counter multihit skills, and yeah, skills with x00% damage like snipe will deal more damage then x multihit skill. But snipe is only 400%, while multihits can deal up to 1600% damage.
For example if enemy has 1000 armor and you have 2000 atk, then skill with 400% damage and 4000 skill damage will deal 11000multipliers, while multihit with 8 hits and 500 skill damage will deal 12000multipliers. So skill base damage has to be really high to outdamage multihits. Or enemy armor has to be even higher for multihits to deal less damage.

And there are tons of armor reducing skills (like highlander skull swing that reduces enemy armor to 0).

1 Like

About the stat distribution for hoplites, and thinking that on the iOBT reset scroll will be harder to get (I usually avoid using cash items in mmos), what would be better for a fast early game (lvl 1 till 60-80(?)) do a 2:1 or 4:1:2, or just focus in only one stat?

I was thinking in putting DEX till 50-60 pts (around lvl 35-45 without statues and equips), then equally STR with DEX and stop with DEX around 100-120 pts. And just keep going with a 2:1 STR:CON. I’m planning to do a c2 hoplite, probably going for a c2 squire to a Dragoon. My objective is a Centurion, the formations system seems to be really good :smile:

This is a planning with the thinking of a low cost build, since I can’t even imagine how will be the cost of high level equips and enhacments.

Centurion is not confirmed yet. Because the formation system simply looks too good)

Also I don’t think you should care about cost too much, because as you level up you start gaining gradually more money.

Question regarding Hoplite/Corsair builds ( trying to decide between Hoplite C3 or Corsair C3 )

How important is the Hoplite skill - Stabbing?

1. Is Stabbing affected by a Chronomancer’s Quicken? I assume no.
  2. If not, would AA’ing with Corsair’s DWA under the effects of Quicken, be more powerful?

Question regarding Pierce,

1. Level 10 Hexen Dropper vs Level 15 Pierce, against a Large type enemy. Which is better? They’re both Pierce type so they combo with Lunge, but Hexen Dropper is an Overheat type skill with a 2 second shorter CD than Pierce.

No skills are affected with attack speed.

About AA’ing vs stabbing it depends. I’d suggest going High 3 if you want to play corsair, or you will suffer vs armored enemies.

Stabbing has decent base damage and attribute so it will naturally deal more damage, taking into account defense. But with high 3 they are probably comparable (2 attacks with higher speed vs 2x attribute+base damage).

Without High 3 armor will cut your autoattack damage hard.

I assume Hexen Dropper is better, though I’m not sure how much hits it has. If you want spear corsair build to use with chrono I’d suggest High 3+Corsair2+Dragoon and just swap between 2H spear and spear+dagger depending on skills you are going to use. Corsair 3 is kind of underpowered, and most of his skills are already powerful at level 5-10.

I feel Corsair just isn’t that great of a class for specialization, and to go High 3 then Corsair 2 is not really making High 3 much better.
That’s why I chose the Hoplite route because Finestra and DWA seems to have good synergy. Same with Spear Lunge and Hexen Dropper.

As for armored targets, I’d just have to rely on another party member to debuff the armor for now. Also doesn’t Critical Attacks interact fairly OK against armored targets? I know it doesn’t really ‘ignore’ defense but it helps right?

Lastly, I am considering instead of Hop3 or Corsair3 to go for Dragoon at Rank 7 but how does that affect stuff like Jolly Roger (which demands party leader to be Corsair), and more importantly(lol) how does it affect my looks (Would prefer to keep Corsairs look)?

Edit: Yeah, never played the game before so it’s all theory crafting for me so I just assumed there will be a good variety of hi-mid-low def monsters. Plus the fact since this build is kinda built around having a decent synergy with a Linker1/Thauma1/Chrono3, I figured if there’s a mix of high def and low def monsters in an area, link them and just hit the low def monster and let the damage carry over.

I saw 1 damage crits (meaning damage can be negative). So no, crits are actually countered with armor.

You can choose any look you want from your previous classes.

Jolly rank 10 is good, but if you want a party leader one, I’d better focus on sword+pistol with high3corsair3 (especially if you have lots of physical damage in your party). High3 has lots of utility with Skull Swing and Crown.

Lol @ 1 dmg crit. Wuhhh, on paper it didn’t look possible to get that. Since part of Critical Attack Damage formula is a raw number from the Crit Atk stat on character sheet. I thought that would be the floor, or minimum damage. What’s the actual formula for crit attack anyway?

I read on another thread that offhand pistol is messes up AA because pistol has a hard delay after every hit, so it’d slow down attack speed. Also the skill Pistol Shot does crap damage. Is this true?

I already changed this corsair build too many times so I don’t really want to change to Highlander. I mean I like Highlander, but I’d like it to go with Dopple instead of Corsair. I feel it’s a better fit, regardless of how it would help a Corsair’s lack of utility.

Yeah, I’ve heard people are very disappointed about it.

Not sure about pistol animation with DWA though. But dagger is also good.

About crit formula, if defense is higher then damage you will get negative number that will be multiplied by 1.5 and substracted from crit attack.

That’s why highlander will be good for corsair, since it has low base damage with DWA and it can by harshly decreased by arnor. And Skull Swing NULLIFIES enemy armor(or substracts very big ammount from it). So Corsair will deal much more damage, at least on bosses.

Though Hoplite is also a good choice. I advice peltasta 1 on rank 2 then.

1 Like

Yes, my build so far is Sword1 Pelt1 Hop2 Cors2 with last rank still undecided between Hop3Cor3 and Dragoon.

For Peltasta is Guardian worth maxing? I’m throwing 1 point in it for now but I really don’t see how it helps even at lvl 5, especially when the Corsair will be Gung Ho’ing most of the time.

As for the defense, do you happen to know if Cleric’s attribute Deprotected Zone: Sword Attack which applies Weakened Defense upon sword attack, will serve similar function as Skull Swing?

Dragoon is the best class you can get as spear user.

Guardian doesn’t need to be maxed, it’s mostly for evasion.

No, it only decreases defense by small amount, I doubt you can nullify defense even with full stacks.
Skull swing is by far the best armor decreasing skill in the game.

Crit damage= 1.5x normal atk+crit atk.
1.5x normal atk still affected by def.

Actually with 100 atk 100 cratk and 150 def it will be:

1.5*(100-150)+100=25.

So crit attack is also somewhat affected by def)

Question here. Char is planned for party as a firstlane, i go pelt-hop3, and take 15 Finestra, 5 spear throw (broken spam), what should i go for other skilss?

1. i love how Pierce scales onto Boss monsters, but it’s cd is high and it has no overheat.
  2. or spear lunge 10, stabbing 15 (it’s good late game i heard) no pierce
  3. or maybe some 5\5 lunge\synchro ?