Tree of Savior Forum

General Scaling between class progression and stats

As I’ve been playing the game and enjoying it so far, I’ve come across a couple of worries that I don’t feel would even be able to tested within the confines of this beta. The first is that how skill damage is almost entirely based on what level the skill is and how strong your weapon is. Many things such as this or certain buffs seem to add a flat increase, and while that proves valuable early on, it weakens it’s overall effectiveness late game. This can even be seen in builds where strength or intelligence can largely be ignored in lieu of spirit or dexterity, allowing a person to have high critical rates and more sp for more skill spamming, while their damage is unaffected.

One of the great aspects of this game is the multitude of classes and how people can create their own unique build and identity, but this can be lost if 90% of the early classes abilities are useless later on. You should be able to take an aspect of each class as you grow, and combine them in the end to have your own build with its own strengths and weaknesses. If scaling proves to be a large issue, then you have a game with 80 classes where maybe only the last 10 or so define a character, and that I feel would be a huge mistake.

With a change that has already occurred, allowing more freedom in choosing classes with each advancement, it would be nice if scaling could be looked at. Make more skills based of a % of your attack and make it so that strength and intelligence are used for more than just your auto attack.

1 Like

INT and STR scale harder than other stats latter in the game, and they make a big difference there.

Some buffs already have scaling with status, elemental damage or such, but yeah, others are still too flat like gung-ho and steady-aim.

The stat concern is related to not wanting earlier classes to become obsolete. STR or INT should be able to support earlier skills so they can always be used, but skills in general seem to not be too reliant on them (with a few exceptions). So you end up with with things like the Fletcher, which has much higher skill damage then previous classes, so would that make all earlier damage based decisions useless? And there could even be another class later on that makes that obsolete. So that would kinda kill the diversity.

i wonder why they didnt go with the % of attack to begin with.strange. we’ll see what they do with all the information

Most classes don’t have super low CD skills, so you will use other skills in between. If they have, it is to make up for the new playstyle they need (Monk, Fencer) or simply giving a different purpose (comparing Oblique Shot with Critical Shot).

All damaging skills already have at least “100% scaling” of your attack, plus the Enchant attribute. So even those base “shitty” skills with low base damage (Thrust) can at least do twice the damage of you basic attacks (will actually do more than twice, since defense is flat calculation).

Could they make the game better in this regard? Probably.
But the current system it is not bad either.

your sp will be gone in 20 seconds if you do it that way. thres no scaling of physical attacks. they hit damage, but they dont scale. i dont see one skill that says % of attack.

Using the example of Fletcher, they have a handful of skills that have a 3 second cooldown. The point is more later skills from later classes can completely outclass earlier versions. If that happens, earlier classes turn to be entirely obsolete and in a game that could have insane variety, you end up with much, much less.

???

Do you think skill damage is only based on the base values it shows on the tooltip? Never once you wondered why you did more damage than what it said, or how it rose after changing weapons? (assuming you are playing on the beta)

You can buy potions, bonfires, wear cloth armor or raise SPR to help with your SP problems. The game offers plenty diversity, it just dones’t allows you to mindlessly do whatever you want (like focusing everything for damage and spamming skills endlessly?!)

yes i belive it is based on the tooltip. you know why? i hit a monster with one 1 damage. i use a skill, im hitting 200 damage, thats not a scale, thats just added damage. Never have i said i had sp problems. i said you will lose all of your sp in 20 seconds if you use your skills the way you was talking about. there is no scale period. just added damage. i dont need no hidden formulas to figure that out. if i hit a monster with all 1s, if i use a skill i sould still be hitting 1s maybe 3s. not 200s. i want to see what scale made me hit from 1s to 200s. are my skills at 20000% scale? no, just added damage.