Tree of Savior Forum

Exploring a decision I thought was a bad one - W3/Ele2/Necro2

My main char is using a build that is irregular; not normal. An Ele that didn’t go 3 or WL.

I had originally intended to go with the elememe build with the char after noting its popularity, but I pulled a U-turn when I reached rank 5.

Back in CBT, I LOVED my Necro – as broken as it was mechanically. I loved having skeleton minions and slow-as-hell damage sponge. Back then, Rank 6 classes had access to their c2 abilities as c1. A little overwhelming and odd seeing such a disparity in abilities; the kind that make you scream, “This is an obvious upgrade of this ability” See: Gather Corpse and Disinter.

I didn’t play with the Necro long, as it was the final week of CBT and I was tired of the grind. I was content just reaching Rank 6 with the very limited ways of getting exp at the time but I knew I was going to play Necro again come release.

Why did I make such a strange build? I did, in fact, do some critical thinking with my choice: I liked having more attack spells and aoes, and summons - like a real dps mage. And after looking at the abilities I would have, I found it working in a PvE setting.

Surprise, surprise, I was like…70% right. With spells like Prominence and Hail, I was able to have a constant stream of damage numbers on a boss outside of Flesh Cannon. However, Electrocute at C2 falls off quickly and is only effective with Cyros and/or water based enemies. Did this combo put me at the top of damage contribution numbers against better geared players or even Fletchers? Not always. I usually had to throw a spell out the moment it’s off cd just to make it in the ranks on such high grounds. It’s tough but doable.

Now, the weight of not going Linker is affecting me and have recently rolled a new Wiz just for different Rank 4/5 class and am currently waiting for a leveling boost to level.

I don’t remember if going Linker 2 was always the meta for Necros, but besides Sorc 1, what was the Rank 4/5 choice before Rank 8/Necro C3 was revealed? I’m curious.

And to conclude, has anyone found an irregular build they were able to make it work well in a specific scenario? How often?

Tl;dr: I played hipster and am feeling the burn. Console me.

For Necro it’s pretty much Linker2, Linker1-Sorc1 or Kino2 (pvp).

My irregular builds:

Pelt1 - Hop1 - Rod3 - Shinobi -> was irregular but turned out to look ok when some changes were made to Murmillo

Cryo1 - Kino3 - Sorc2 -> really fun to play but I can see how it’s not the most effective thing out there

Cryo3 - Kino1 - Linker1 (R6) -> this is my favourite right now. Grinds and dungeons are easy; I just take pillar and link around until we get to the boss. Then I use Icewall-PP on the boss. Also pretty decent for PvP. Lots of people question the Linker part (like why not Kino3?) but I think it offers great support.