Tree of Savior Forum

Error 16: have 3 characters stuck in lodge

UPDATE : I have given up on this game and indeed any MMOs in general for that matter. 4 days of continuous effort in this and nada and no official reply on this. Special thanks to @Seiran for offering much help in this matter. Just that, if anyone else comes across this issue and you’re reading this, just give up now and save some time. ^_^. That’s all. thank you.

Date and Time(Please, specify the timezone) : 17/07/2018 - 7:00 am IST

Server Name: [SEA] Telsiai, [NA] Klaipeda, [EU] Fedimian.

Team Name: SEA server and NA server - Erstwyle, EU server - Meritocracy

Character Name: NA server - Atticus, SEA server - Novokane, EU server - SiegTemplar

Bug Description : Was doing main storyline quests for each of these characters when I encountered these bugs. In each case, I reached the map entrance, walked into it and then game kicks me out to the server selection page. I tried re-logging in to those characters from the lodge, but game freezes a bit, throws a split second error screen and then kicks me back to server selection page. This has been happening for 2 days now. Two locations in particular - Bokor Master’s Home in the main city and Srautas Gorge. I tried screencapping many times to get a look at the error and finally got one of it. It says Error 16: Cannot connect to the server even though I can create and play alternate characters with no probs.

I can create and play new characters with no issues UNTIL I reach one of the aforementioned locations hence the 3 characters stuck. Just moving them back to main cities won’t work since I have to enter these locations anyway.

Things I have tried -
a) Changing channels in lodge.
b) Verifying game cache via Steam.
c) EDIT: Tried re-installing the game as well.

None of these work. Please do provide a proper solution to this problem rather than simply transferring my chars back to main city.

Steps to reproduce the issue :

1. Do main quests.
  2. Reach either Bokor Master’s Home or Srautas Gorge.
  3. Just as you try to enter the entrance portal,game kicks you to server selection.
  4. Tries to log back in to the character.
  5. Game kicks you back to server selection again after showing a split second Error 16 notification.
  6. Character now unplayable.

Screenshots / Video :
(attach screenshots or videos regarding the bug)

Game Control Mode (Keyboard/Joypad/Mouse) : Keyboard.

System

• CPU : Intel Core i7-7700k
  • RAM : 16 GB
  • Graphics Card : Nvidia Geforce GTX 970
  • Mainboard : Gigabyte Z270-HD3P
  • Storage : 2 TB with 250 GB SSD added (free space left- 620 GB)
  • Internet Connection : 20 mb/s
  • Country, Region : India

After 12 hours and even after the patch just now, my chars are still stuck. Any helpful hints would be appreciated…:worried:

Edit: Really, not even a single reply…for a game breaking bug this huge, you guys have apparently zero motivation to get it fixed.

I can enter it normally in Klaipeda - NA Ch1 or Ch2.

Can you try this?

• Go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features, and remove Tree of Savior.
  • Remove the Tree of Savior installation folder from the location where it was saved.
  • Reinstall Tree of Savior from Steam: [Tree of Savior (English Ver.)]

From here: https://treeofsavior.com/page/guide/view.php?n=36

I know you already tried reinstalling the game but please make sure to go to Steam directory and remove the files manually:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\TreeOfSavior

It worked here:

And could be caused by a similar reason.

After trying this (please do), answer here in the thread if it worked or not. I might be able to help a little further.

Also, I’d highly recommend sending a ticket to support as they may have a solution, if not at least you get to help them document this.

If anything it doesn’t seem to be a server-side issue since it works for me, so it’d really help if you give it a try to uninstall and remove all ToS files before trying other things.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I did try the method listed above and completely removed all folders, did a registry clean up and then re-installed the game. But the error in these areas still remain.

The stuck characters remain stuck. I made a new char to rush to Bokor Master’s house in the main city to check if the error persists on a new character. It does and now I have a level 3 character stuck as well xD

I do not know what’s so special about these two areas…they are not crowded and from what I seen of screenshots, they’re not really graphics intensive either >_>

EDIT : Also verifying files thru Steam still gives me the message that ‘4 files failed to validate and will be reacquired’ every time I run the game and then verifying the game file integrity. It’s always 4 files and I don’t know which ones get changed.

Before anything are you a new player? (This info will help assuming like “did you ever found other maps having the same issue?” -> “no, I was doing quests and got stuck on these, so I can’t say” etc.)

I don’t think the problem are the areas per se but the servers you connect to. There are some servers which holds a group of channels.

So for some reason your game which has the same files as mine, so let’s exclude the game.

Now we have these options:

A) The server itself, but it works for me on NA - Klaipeda…

B) The route to the server IPs.
For some reason your route to the servers holding the channels on those two maps could be broken.

But then the same issue happens on more than one server. Did you check on SA - Silute by any chance?

This seems highly unlikely because it happens on the other servers as well, so it’s not specific to one IP.

C) The route between your computer and your router.
Are you on wi-fi? If yes can try connecting via cable?

Highly unlikely since the error is consistent.

D) Your computer.
Which seems likely.
Why? For some reason you could have a complicated firewall or anti-virus blocking more than X different IPs connected for Client_tos.exe

You could try disabling these protection software temporarily and trying again. But please, remember to enable them again, if it works use the info gathered to add exception rules for Tree of Savior.

E) Your account and/or character.
Which also seems likely.

Let’s say something happened lately that only affects new characters created after X date.

You could need a Staff help here even if it is about moving your characters outside the region and see if reentering works. Let’s say you triggered an event already, this could give them more info on why this happened + make your characters playable again.

This is also likely because there are cutscenes on these regions depending on what part of the quest chain you are.

I think these are all the possible options.

After talking with a friend we really think it could be the “E” option, so I’ll tag @STAFF_Yuri @STAFF_Letitia @STAFF_Amy @STAFF_Ines @STAFF_Bob for you.

I also recommend sending a ticket if you didn’t do this yet.

They should be able to help if option “D” doesn’t fix it.

2 Likes

Once again, thanks so much for taking time out to help :slight_smile:

Yes, I am a new player and was doing story quests…the Master Bokor’s House issue came up when I tried to enter the house to turn in the Mysterious Tablet quest. As for your suggestions -

B) I never tried out SA-Silute but when I tried to create and play a character in it, It throws up the same Error 16 and kicks me back to server selection screen. In other servers, namely NA, EU and SEA…I was able to at least level the characters and proceed with story quests till the Master Bokor’s House or Srutuas Gorge. Not in SA server for some reason O_o

C) I play on a PC so I use Ethernet cable exclusively.

D) I did turn the Firewalls and Anti Virus off the first time (because it flagged ToS.exe as a risk), I installed the game without the them and all subsequent tries (reinstalling and verifying files) were without them, also made Exclusion paths for the game just in case.

E) It seems more and more to me that this error is purely on my side, but got zero clue on how to fix it. So, a corrupt cutscene file or map file is enough for this error to happen? Maybe these files are what Steam downloads when I verify the game files. I followed the following steps -

1. Verify game files via steam.
  2. Steam has to reacquire 4 files (its always 4, no matter the number of characters stuck right now)
  3. Verifies again to check if all files are properly placed.
  4. Starts the game and the error is still there.
  5. Step 1-4 repeats.

Conclusion - I’m quite at the end of my wits now -_-…so this error affects two beginner areas in the all servers except for SA-Silute server,where its even worse since I can’t even start the game there, just creating a char and selecting it is enough to for the error to happen…WHAT IS THIS WIZARDRY?!

UPDATE : ok, so. something weird is happening. I was able to re-login to my characters stuck in the Master Bokor’s House (in NA and EU servers, not my poor lvl 44 cleric stuck in SEA T_T). I was able to talk to the NPC (mama Marie? yeah?) and all. So I exited and entered again, only to be facing the same error again. Back to not being able to login to those chars (meh they were are all lvl 6-ish test chars anyway) but still, all of this is just weird. How does this persistent error relax its grip on one area and then decides against it like a second after?? ‘meh screw it, no bokor house for you again’ ? is that it? Are Errors finally self aware now??? O_o

Not really cutscene but more like how your game would respond to server packets or fail to connect to it for some reason.

This is common and kind of always happens because Steam files are synced less times than the game actual files from the patcher. Also it seems that Steam files has a different patcher that updates itself (like, in case your game patcher broke or something).

This number is also affected depending on the number of addons you have installed.

Yeah, this feels really strange. Any chance you could try another account or connecting from another IP (such as from a VPN)?

I’m know this isn’t a good suggestion but if another account works: the issue needs Staff to review your account.

If another IP works: it can be related to your network routes.

If nor another account works nor another IP: could be your computer. So it’d be also a nice test if you can get to try with something like a relative’s laptop just to see if the same problem happens.

To be honest that kind of gives me a hint that it’s related to your connection somehow… like a ISP having a really bad route or something actively blocking connections (such as security applications or even viruses).

I really can’t conclude something at this point since you managed to make it work once, so it’s not a general issue (nor seems to be account related).

Need more testing to exclude options (another IP, VPN, another computer, another account).

If you want my opinion, definitely looks like a problem on your end but I can’t say for sure. But never saw someone having this very same case. >_<

Did you try sending a ticket already as well? I recommend doing so since other players have limited options on how to help you.

The company itself may also be kind of limited on what they can ask you to do if that can incur undocumented/risky stuff (like maybe trying another account, VPN since most are paid and other reasons, etc), so it’d help if you answer here as well.

Thanks again, but I tried using a VPN, same result. And I really don’t have anyone near me who’d be willing to help me out with their laptop or system otherwise. Figures I should really start making friends huehuehue.

Anyways, I have officially given up. If its this bad in the first 4 areas of the game, I don’t want to spend time and effort to let this happen down the line as well, seeing as how the official members are mute in this regard. Really appreciate all your help in this matter ^_^. But I have spent all the time I am ever going to on this game.

Good luck and happy levelling!

i got the same error, but to me it happens when i try to enter east siauliai woods, got 3 characters stuck

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.