Tree of Savior Forum

Dyable Costumes and creating an Identity in TOS

Part of what breathes a sense of community into an MMO is character customization. While TOS boast gorgeous maps and breathtaking artwork, the game’s is rather hard to immerse into while running into a Player Character that looks exactly like I do every few minuets.

We have a taste of customization with the Hair Dye system, but even that feels more like a trophy display than a legitimate customization option.

I’ve read that TOS devs are seeking an optimized way to apply a Dying mechanic, and while I’d be in full support of a total dye system with several colorable parts, It feels unrealistic given the colorful and multi-layered outfits available in the game.

So my suggestion is: Color Palettes.
A single, equip-able item that changes the overall coloring of your currently worn outfit. Ultimately, NOT restricted by class or outfit. Just an item that can be bought, crafted, achieved or farmed, that alters the entire scheme. Maybe even give them out at events?

With this, we get that extra bit of customization without being limited to the lazy color splotch effect we get in many other games, or the single dyable part we get in others. I don’t have photoshop or artistic skill in altering digital images, so I can’t supply a visual example.

But, examples would be something, like, a palette that makes metal parts that bright fantasy gold while making the cloth/colory bits a fine blue, with black leather parts and white trimmings, if present. (Which is usually my color palette in MMOS)

Another one could be a Valentines day color palette that makes metal parts white, cloth/colored bits pink while making trimmings / leather parts red.

It would really be sad if TOS was given a weak costume coloring system that hurt the detail given by the adorable costumes. The Idea I’m suggesting is similar to the feature present in Destiny, if anyone has played it. This would also make the implementation of textures like plaid or whatever on outfits possible, and that doesn’t sound like a bad thing.

Pros:

-Some color palettes would probably be hard to get, meaning certain ones would be worn as trophies ( but some people like that, though! )

-Bazillions of possible palettes, even though I assume most people will just wear Black / Red or monochrome

-Possibility of applying textures to outfits

-More things to collect, craft and achieve

-Possibility to hold contests and take community-suggested color palettes

Cons:

-Sorta kinda limited

-Some color palettes would be hard to get

-More things to grind

-Someone has to color all the classes with the color palettes (This could be a pro, too. I’m sure some people would do this for free )

And that’s it. Oh. And please make Costumes transferable between characters or make it so we can get the other outfits for our class. I’m probably not the only person who’s tempted to take a class just to get the outfit at the cost of hurting our build.

+1 I agree we could really use some cosmetic to make ourselves a unique character.