Tree of Savior Forum

Don't use XIGNCODE as the anticheat

Apparently ToS is currently using XIGNCODE as its anticheat.

This is a very bad idea. XIGNCODE can autoban people with false positives and cause random crashes. It also isn’t a very effective anticheat. According to google, it uses a simple blacklist and simply renaming any hack executable will allow the hacker to bypass the anticheat. There are also several websites on the first page of results for “XIGNCODE3” that show how one can bypass it, proof of how it’s a horrible anticheat.

5 Likes
  • The autobans do sound a bit troubling.
  • There aren’t really any ‘effective anticheats’ for games, are there?
    Every public anticheat can be (and has been) bypassed. (over and over)
    The only question is how often they plan to update against known cheats.
  • What would you recommend?
2 Likes

Handle anticheat serverside, having monsters like the reaper kill botters both breaks up the monotony of grinding and stops botters in their tracks.

4 Likes

Between this and GameGuard’s rootkit, there aren’t many other viable options for an anticheat system. None of them really work in the end and they’re just there to make stupid people think twice.

This would be hilarious, but not sure how viable it would be. Might introduce a lot of lag if the user requires a sync with the server at all times. Path of Exile suffered with desync issues for the longest time due to this.

Any which way you look at it, there isn’t an easy and effective solution, because if it is easy it’s probably not effective in the first place.

Overall effectiveness of anti-cheat software aside, the best anti-cheat system is the one that acts in a way that you don’t even know it’s there.
Take Blizzard’s games, for example - Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft… Chances are, you never even heard the term “Warden” - yet, it’s the name of an anti-cheat system that is at least somewhat (read - at least you can’t bypass it by simple methods such as renaming the files) effective.

That said, software has never been fully effective against bots. You need dedicated game masters and the game has to be balanced in a way that does not allow a bot-controlled character to obtain significant amounts of valuable items/currency (think hard bosses with non-trivial tactics, party-only dungeons that require cooperation and the like).

1 Like

better than Gameguard lol

5 Likes

Those anticheats can be beaten by sufficiently dedicated hackers, though. Having as much be serverside as possible is by far the best way to guarantee that hackers/botters can’t do much (since they can’t beat those serverside checks unless they gain access to the servers), while disrupting the experience of legit players as little as possible.

1 Like

Xingcode gave me so much trouble when i was playing Echo of soul, if you have stuff like Steam or even sandboxie(or anything at all whit a virtual memory) it will kill your game client when you try to log in.

GameGuard plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1 Like

Oh I do not like it from the sound of it from when I just searched. It sounds really intrustive, checking ALL files accessed in a time period rather than just program-related files or those actively running. As well as apparently monitoring text typed?
It also can apparently causes the game to crash and hang up if you frequently open lots of files/ run multiple programs during a day since it actively checks every recently opened file since it’s last run… on top of having issues with multiple hard-disks.

Things like GameGuard might not be very affective but they only really scan surface programs that are running rather than going into important and private documents to scan for ‘hacks’.

Yes, Xingcode keeps a log of every program you ran in the last 48 hours and also records everything you type while the game is running.

To be honest, Xingcode causes more issues then actual malware.

On the plus side as far as i know no current version of Xingcode supports steam so whit a little luck they could have to use something else for the international servers.

1 Like

I *wonder if steam’s anti-cheat could be used for international release.

I personally do not like xigncode.

I do not have any programs running apart from: iTunes, 百度云管家, 搜狐影音, raidcall, f.lux, Chrome & Windows Explorer opened and whenever I run a game I used to play, 王者世界 or atlantica online if you will, and xigncode closes my game with a “third party program found” error message.

After closing all programs, once again…“third party program found”!! I do not know what is running or perhaps even my windows essentials are causing that? -___-

NO to xigncode!

VAC can and has been bypassed as well.

IMO, client-sided anticheat measures are usually lazy bandaid fixes for vulnerabilities that should have been patched serverside.

Yeah I remember the counter strike shenanigans… I just suggested it because I’ve not heard of people having problems with it before. I’m not sure if VAC is on the market either way…

Xigncode is goddamn trash. I sure hope they will change their mind about it.

The search function is really effective. Anyway, this is still relevant - hearing how Maplestory EMS now uses xingcode, i looked it up only to find circumventions right of the bat. And from the sound of those circumventions, xingcode only gives normal players problems while hackers flat out ignore it. Might aswell go with no protection, it saves diskspace that way. /sarcasm

well bad news, Nexon’s new game Aima also use xigncode so the chance of having another game guard system is next to zero

Oh god, NO, keep XIGNCODE. Anything but GameGuard. I still can’t play most of my favorite games because GameGuards nasty little rootkit selfdestructs and causes BSoDs for me.

You seriously claiming that blizz anti-cheat is effective? It’s not, its complete garbage. Lets take a quick tour of 3 blizz games:

Wow: Full of bots
Heroes of the Storm: Maphack been effective since day 1
Diablo3: Blizz was sued multiple times for their automatic ban system which banned a lot of innocent people. Due to the real money AH back then Blizz was sued by many (including people i know) and they were all paid to be silent.

So talking about blizzard and anticheat being efficant is like saying aeria games isnt p2w.