Tree of Savior Forum

Differences Between Dev Blog And Now

After the Closed Beta test ended I decided to go through the Development Log again and see what all has changed from conception to the (sort of) finished product, I thought it would be interesting to look at the original ideas Vs. what we are actually getting as well as seeing if some of the questions people have been asking over and over are already answered. Here’s what I found.

Starting from the beginning -

Q3) Does player’s gender link with character’s gender?
A3) No. character’s gender can be chosen freely.

This is still the case. I’m glad that we didn’t have to send in a DNA sample to prove our gender.

One of the original screen layout images, I actually kind of like this one better than the one we have now.

“When we had our prototype version, it was possible to run by pressing the cursor keys fast enough, but after some tests, we had concluded that it’s aching to press the cursor keys repeatedly so we changed that the basic movement will be running (instead of walking), but when stamina gets fully depleted, character will start to walk. Dash feature which enables players to avoid attacks instantaneously will be available on certain classes.”

So ORIGINALLY it was intended for everyone to be able to do the swordsman dash, but instead they made running the default, made stamina and gave swordsman the dash thing as an ability. I thought this was worth mentioning because of how many times I heard people asking about the running/stamina/dash system and whatnot.

“Q10) How does character customization work?
A10) Since there are some limits on the characters’ style, it is hard to freely customize the characters. You can choose class, gender and hair style. We are thinking about changing eye colors of the characters possible.”

So it seems like the customization we have now is about the limit of what we will get.

“Certain quests and certain upper level classes are only possible to do and acquire when your accumulated Achievement points are higher than certain level.”

Too bad everyone was focused on grinding instead of exploring, they might have found some cool quests and stuff.

“There is also a feature in the game which GM can submit items to be listed on auction at the fixed times and it will have all the same features that are available in the real auctions.”

I wonder if that feature made it in or not. We didn’t experience it.

“All classes will be able to craft some items in the game. However, in order to craft an item, you have to first acquire a manual to craft a particular item. A manual will be automatically recorded on Adventure Journal once the manual gets used and after that the item can be crafted any time.”

It seems they changed this, because when I was crafting things I had to HAVE the manual to use as an ingredient for the recipe.

“Furthermore, “R○○narok” is not related to TOS in any way”

He said this over a year ago and people are STILL complaining that TOS isn’t Ragnarok.

This is apparently the original wizard design. I think I have a new waifu.

“However, we have some skills which can be collaborated with different classes of characters in the game.”

I didn’t personally see any collaboration skills, did you guys?

Just because.

“Monk is equipped with weapons on both hands”

I don’t think this works any more. Isn’t Corsair the only class that can dual wield now?

" At the moment, Cook or Fisherman classes are not in the game, but since we will have Cooking feature in the game, we may have Fisherman class or Cook class in the future."

So it looks like we were originally supposed to get a cooking skill. Maybe this ended up being the squire base camp thing?

"Q) Are there any other classes that can use summon skills other than Necromancer?

A) There are a few other classes that can use summon skills besides Necromancer. Such as Sorcerer… However, the methods of controlling summonees are little different."

So from that it seems in addition to Necromancer and Sorcerer there may be other classes we don’t know about yet that summon things.

Original swordsman design

I know EXACTLY where that is and there was no treasure chest there! They have deceived us!

"Q) I saw Chronomancer’s skill which restores the past time. Then is it possible to revive the friends who are dead? What about the items that we acquired before we restore the time? How about the monsters which are dead? Do they resurrect?

A) First of all, this skill can’t be used often since some time needs to be passed in order to use this skill again. However, if there were dead friends or monsters, they will resurrect."

Can anyone confirm/deny this? I know Chronomancers have a skill that resurrects monsters but can they revive/heal players as well?

This is supposed to be what Klaipeda soldiers look like, but all the soldiers I saw were male. ):

“It varies from one class to the other. The class which possesses the least number of skills has five skills.”

I know of at least one class with only 4, so this doesn’t seem to be true any longer.

"Q) Is it possible to lengthen the life of a fire place by adding some fuels or firewood into it?

A) Yes. It is possible to lengthen the life of a fire place by adding firewood into it."

I…What? Is it? I thought you just had to make a new one when it burned out.

"Q) What do you mean when you said Peltasta’s thrown shield may disappear? Is it going to really disappear from Equipment UI?

A) If you don’t pick it up within a limited time, then it will disappear from Equipment UI. I think this much risk was needed when we allowed Peltasta, which is a melee class, to engage in long range attacks."

So no, they aren’t going to remove the shield disappearing risk because it is in there to balance the class.

“Alchemist doesn’t open a shop, but when it crafts an item, it may take several hours so it is possible for Alchemist to stay in the game after log-out when it is engaged in crafting.”

Good to know. So I can just tell something to craft then log out and watch a movie.

"Q) Can an item be also damaged while being enhanced?

A) An item’s Potential will be depleted by 1 whenever it succeeds its enhancement. Don’t try to enhance your item when its Potential falls to 1. You may lose your item."

I didn’t mess with enhancement that much. Can anyone verify whether this is still true or has been changed?

“Highlander is a Swordsman-type class and it uses swords on both hands.It has stronger attack stats than Peltasta which is in the same rank. It also possesses numerous long range attack skills”

I don’t remember seeing any Highlanders using ranged attacks. Do you?

“Normally, you can only see your party members, but Scout can select a spot on the map to find out which players or enemies are there and share this info with party members.”

So apparently originally this whole game was supposed to be instanced with us only seeing our own party? That doesn’t seem like it would have been very fun.

“However, if you use vuvuzela which is a sub-weapon, you can make vu- vu- sounds.”

Vu-Vu Sounds. Lol.

There appear to have been some changes between the original and current world map as well, but I won’t post that image as it is very large.

“Of course, the bosses that you will encounter at the beginning are not that hard.”

There you go. They openly said the bosses you encounter in the beginning aren’t hard, so you can stop complaining that they are easy now, you were warned about it last year.

Apparently in earlier versions the Vubbe village was supposed to be between the West Woods where you start and Klaipeda.

This Crystal Mines boss looked a lot different…

“boss monsters telegraphed the locations where they will attack in advance, but this function will gradually disappear as players progress in the game and only Oracle”

So those red circles bosses broadcast their attacks with DO go away as you continue the game.

“There are a few classes in TOS that are able to change their stances by wearing a mask. Plague Doctor is one of them.”

I wonder what the other classes are. I didn’t notice any masked classes in the beta, so probably unrevealed ones.

“Right now, there are only two Companions that are purchasable at Klaipeda. We will add more Companions in the future that will be distinct in each village.”

This should make some of the people who were worried about the companions in Klaipeda being ugly feel better.

"Q) Please give us options to change characters’ eye colors or hair colors.

A) We already have a feature to change eye colors or hair colors of characters in the game. But instead of making them possible when selecting a character, we want players to obtain them in the game. We hope for your understanding for this since we believe that players will be more affectionate to their characters when they become unique and distinct from other players’ characters after a long period of playtime instead of just allowing diverse customization options from the beginning."

So… Nope. Sounds like we’re never going to get much customization, and any we do will have to be earned through playing the game.

Apparently there are going to be human companions? So we can all get our own pet lolis.

There is also an early post saying they were originally planning on having the masters spread out across the world, but they changed their minds and are moving them to the towns. However, there are still some masters out in the wilderness so I don’t know if they changed their mind about changing their mind or what.

2 Likes

This was an interesting read,thank you for posting it!

I like the original set-up of the screen too actually.Would be cool if we could move around parts of it to where we like,though.

Very interested in Plague Doctor still.My build is towards Alchemist,and it seems like that could be a branch class from it.

Yeah, you’re supposed to be able to extend the length of a campfire by tossing wood in, but I didn’t get to test that out. Also, the campfire lasts for a LONG time on its own so I dunno how long you’d need to keep the fire going for in practice.

Why should Squire get all the crafting abilities? I want to cook and fish on my Corsair. :U Open my own pirate eatery.