Tree of Savior Forum

Death penalty as Gems, is it really a good idea?

So, I were watching a few gameplays of Tree of Savior, while watching a few players
failing during boss fights, and then came up to the mind the following question,
is Death Penalty as Gems really a good idea?

Why I came up with the question, well, Gems are used to be socketed into
weapons and armors, meaning that players will obviously make use of it.

But where the topic enters? Well, wonder on a world boss fight,
a player dies during the fight, someone will resurrect him?
No, why? Well, due to the death penalty, the gems the player were
carrying all dropped on the floor, meaning that peoples will
most likelly preffer to leave the player rotting on the floor
while waiting for the gems to unbound the player, than
resurrect him to resume the combat.

This kind of thing can turn team work play into a bad joke in the game.
I believe Death Penalty should be reviewed.

Gems are not that hard to get and most people put them in storage. Seems like a none issue.

1 Like

As if, you will not stop your grinding to go to the town use the storage
because you just looted a gem.

Also, that can make the game comunity have another downside, if players
experience world boss fight or some party play.

A false conclusion based on half-knowledge.

1. You cannot pick up gems that dropped from another player - they will disappear before you can pick them up.
  2. You can obtain gems only on dungeon type maps (with some exceptions like boss rewards and some monsters in fields that can drop them)
  3. You are subjected to gem penalty only in dungeon type maps and elevated difficulty maps. So you either have to get out of dungeon safely to keep the gems you got there or you should store them before venturing in elevated difficulty maps.
  4. In case you got a monster gem you probably want to play it safe and use that warp scroll/stone to store it.
2 Likes

So players cannot loot the gems dropped from other player’s death?

Did they changed that? As far as i remember i got lots of gems (red, blue, and even gem monsters) from normal monsters in the field and open world(?) dungeons like Roxona.

its been dungeon maps since icbt1/2 as far as i remember.

you’ve answered it yourself. They are dungeon-type maps. Monster gems are not subjected to that limitation - but that should be obvious enough i think.

Used to dungeon = instanced dungeons lol.

But yeah.

losing gems is better than losing EXP which is a luxury at very high levels in most games.

and of course better than perma death in other games.

You can get gems other players drop when they die if they in the same map long enough, like if they get stuck in the air after killing a boss the gems will become available for others to pick up after sometime. I lost plenty of gems this way.

You only drop gems that aren’t socketed into equipment. Only on one occasion my monster gem dropped from my weapon and I assume it was because I lay dead far too long waiting for a revive and the gem made a weird sound not like when you drop unsocketed gems.

So maybe you can drop socketed gems but under specific conditions or it could’ve been a bug since it never happened again for any of my socketed gems or monsters gems.

You can get normal gems from monsters that drop them in field or dungeon not from any monster because only specific monsters drop them, besides the ones you get from bosses.

You are mistaking boss/monster drops here and death penalty. Players can pick up other players’ monster drops including gems given enough time. Gems dropped by player as death penalty cannot be picked up.

Edit:added image related - i call it “Death of a fool” (not me)

Couldn’t pick up =(

I can pick them up sometimes. I did pick them a few days ago.

So what do you suggest for the death penalty? gems lost is much better than exp penalty with the low rate right now

I personally prefer gem penalty rather than exp penalty.
Exp penalty can make you cry and frustrated compared to gem penalty.

I think I see a troll face on the purple gem on the top of the flame ground aoe.

Well…

1. Exp Penalty, 5% would be fine, but would be painfull at higher levels, at least players will try more to not die.
  2. Wounded Debuff, you gain a debuff where most of your status are reduced by 20~40% for a minute to five, Wounded debuff is not acquired when resurrected by Revive skills.
  3. You would have to wait a few moments before you can revive again, time increases based on your level, or max life (I believe level will be better, since swordsmans would be screwed up if were by max life).

Those are some of the ideas.

back on icbt2 i got a few gems dropped by a dead guy.
I’ve lost some gems too bcz a bug… lost a lvl5 gem which i couldint get back bcz it turned gray forever…

But yeah losing gems isnt too bad. You can get a lot of them… you have almost infinity suply at vubber mines - if they didnt change it.

Sorry, but this whole topic seems like a made up issue.

1. Some penalty is needed and an exp penalty or stat/gear restrictions are boring stuff while the gem-drop system gives you the chance to save most of your stuff in storage.
  2. When finding a gem you have the option to go to town right away. If you care enough about the gem, you will do it. It’s simple as that, if you loose one and didn’t bother spending a minute of your grinding time for a trip to the storage, you have no reason to complain.
1 Like

Well, I did not know this and lost 5 gems in one shot, so mad at myself for not placing them in my storage! So sad!

Monster gems do dropped to when you died, my friend lost one because of that.