Tree of Savior Forum

Critical Damage Formula doesn't make sense

With the current critical damage formula, critical attack is pretty much useless. I will show how critical attack only accounts for only 10-20% of total critical damage.

The formula for crit damage is:

Critical damage = (1.5 x patk + catk) x factor.

Where patk = physical attack; and catk = critical attack.

The fact is, patk is usually a lot bigger than catk, especially with transcendent weapon. Add to that the 1.5x factor in the formula, and almost all the damage from critical comes from patk.

Giving an example. Let’s say you have full DEX build with lots of gems and got yourself 2500 of critical attack. And you have top weapon that gives you 5000 patk.

In that situation, patk will give (1.5 x 5000) x factor = (7500 x factor) damage. While catk will give only (2500 x factor) damage. In total, critical damage will be (10000 x factor), so your critical attack will only account for 25% of total critical damage! And that’s with a build totally focused on critical attack.

It’s even worst in fact, as patk also influences the “factor” in the formula. At average, most times patk actually accounts for 80%-90% of critical damage. So why invest on catk at all?

My suggestion is to change the formula decreasing influence of patk and increasing influence of catk. For example, make it like this:

Critical damage = (patk + 3 x catk) x factor.

That would make a lot more sense.

full str you got around 1000 patk
full dex got around 2000 cri atk

so if even 1.5 x patk + criatk

but not in the case / the case was critical attack was easier to obtain from equipment.
(like compare Yellow gem and red Gem)

i know cri rate was pretty low with this patch, that why we can’t go full Patk build or just Full cri rate with no Patk at all.

I think the big problem is that you would think critical attack would reward you more for critting, but in the end it doesn’t.

Even if you can get more of it easier, that would be expected because it’s also harder to crit so it’s gated behind your crit rate, which is now a firmer gate than before.

Yellow Gem Lv5 - 270 Crit Attack
Red Gem Lv5 - 180 Max Attack (/2 = +90 Attack)

The problem is that you get the red gem damage every single time. You need a 66%~ crit rate for that yellow gem’s damage to come equal to the red gem’s.
That’s unlikely to be the case unless you are a class that has one of the few skills that severely boost crit. The odd thing is that even fi you ARE, crit attack isn’t worth it unless you have that 66%+ crit rate and are sure that your next weapon/accessories in the future will maintain that rate and not give you for example a lot of PAtk but less crit rate making them still more efficient overall, but not in utilizing your Crit Attack if you have any.

Rogue C3 can do this by itself, Hoplite since it’s flat Crit Rate it seems (It says Crit Chance but it’s a flat number so I’m not 100% sure here on Finestra), is one of the few that can guarantee that regardless of gear you will be above that 66% making Crit Attack a safe investment for a bit of a boost.

Even assuming crit rate is a max of 95% and you hit it, you’d be gaining 166 PAtk per Yellow Lv5 Gem. This is an extremely narrow subset of people who can utilize one of the 4 core gems properly, and the gains aren’t ‘insane’.

Assuming Lv10 gems that’s a gain of 536 per gem, which can be a bit crazy on a 3slot weapon, and also would have to consider that they can use that Crit Attack on Secondary as well since they’re not gimped by ‘Max Attack’ really being *0.5 gains on the main weapon they gain out over non-crit types. You’ll see less gains on the subweapon side though.

Lvl 1 Subweapon Yellow vs Red is a 91.75 damage gain per gem.

Overall assuming 2 gems in each you would be gaining 1,255 damage, but this would be with a 95% crit rate, which is probably not fully unrealistic as it stands right now, but I don’t have a full crit rogue, so I couldn’t say for sure, I’m also not sure what the cap is.