Tree of Savior Forum

Corsair-highlander question

I’m working on a farming corsair, using the classic Sword1 > Highlander 3 > Corsair 3 > Doppel build. The one thing I’m not sure about though is whether or not I should possibly dip into Peltasta for Swash Buckling in order to get more efficient mobbing.I’d be replacing one rank in Highlander.

Obviously I’ll lose out on the 3rd tier of Highlander skills, but since this is my first Swordsman character I’m not sure how valuable they’ll ultimately end up being.

Any advice from more experienced Swordsman players would be appreciated.

that too good rank, just jump attack on them

Sorry, that post wasn’t very clear. Are you saying it’s not worth losing out on rank 3 of Highlander? What do you mean by ‘just jump attack on them’?

I would urge you to take shinobi in your corsair build for use in saalus. I’m not a big fan of DPE which is the main reason for taking a circle of doppel on a farming build. I’ve had way too many instances of it just not working as advertised. For one thing, dpe counts every hit of a multihit skill against it’s hit count. For another, with as buggy as this game can be, I’ve worked way too hard to get a silver/gold mob isolated and then whittled down it’s health low enough to be absolutely certain that I can kill it within the dpe hit count only to have the mob drop absolutely nothing. Shinobi clone burst makes saalus bosses a lot easier/faster to kill.

You aren’t really taking Doppel for DPE IMO. You are taking it for Cyclone (and basically only Cyclone as the other skills are alright but nothing amazing). DPE, DOV and the attacks in Doppel other than Cyclone are ok. Why Cyclone is fun on Corsair 3 is that it hits a whole lot and you spin in big groups and see “Steal, Steal, Steal, Steal”. Corsair 3 just kind of gets boned so the choices are like Swordsman C2, Peltasta C1, Doppel, Fencer, Shinobi. There are other options but those are really the 4 you’d consider (maybe Barbarian if you want).

On principle I can not encourage the picking of Shinobi as Pirates and Ninjas are mortal enemies, this is known. Fencer is rapiers and meh. Peltasta is Guardian and Swashbuckling and meh. Doppel is Cyclone and meh. SwordsmanC2 is longer pain barrier and meh. Barbarian is CLeave and meh. Shinobi is probably the best choice but its also the one I disagree with most lol. So I’d take doppel and cyclone stuff for farming. Outside of PvP corsair feels lackluster besides the obvious fun of stealing.

I plan on getting 5 levels in DPE to offset that problem since this is purely a silver farming build and I probably won’t be taking it to Saalus anyway… I can think about getting Shinobi instead of Doppel later, but that’s not the question I’m asking here. What I really want to know is if I should stick with Highlander 3 or get Highlander 2, Peltasta 1 for the taunt.

I don’t have any room for shinobi in this build. I’m 100% getting 3rd circle corsair and Doppel. If I get Shinobi I’ll have to lose out on doppel or one circle of Corsair. Yes I know Shinobi has better combat effectiveness but it doesn’t go with the spirit of this build. All I need to know about is if I’ll have to care about highlander 3 or not.

Get Peltasta 1. I regret not getting Pelt 1 on HL3/Corsair and I dont feel over enthused about getting HL3 as a trade off that it felt worth. The one thing I will say is Vertical Slash and Skull Swing did make it easier to use DPE but I dont think using DPE should be a concern: its a small perk to getting Cyclone and if you can use it without much trouble its worth it, but dont fret if you can’t.

Peltasta makes a noticeable difference on farming large groups with Cyclone. HL3 gives you some more damage. The utility in Peltasta feels immense compared to the few extra ranks in HL skills.

I regretted not taking Peltasta so much that I remade to get Peltasta. That said I also ran into another Corsair while leveling and he recommended trying S3/Pelt1/Corsair3/Doppel. S3 gives you some concentrate damage and longer duration pain barrier (which nothing is more annoying than getting knocked out of Cyclone). So Im running S3/P1/Corsair/Doppel atm.

Thanks, that’s the kind of opinion I was looking for. Too late for me to get S3 though unfortunately, but I can see how that’d be a good idea. Highlander 2 should be ok for securing kills with lv 10 Carter stroke, which hits a maximum of 5 times anyway, or a combination of lv 5 Crown and Wagon Wheel.

Edit: On further thought, Highlander doesn’t really add anything to this build other than a few fun attack skills that will get outclassed later by corsair and doppel skills. I probably should reroll while I’m still lowish level. Getting back to 80 is quick and relatively fast and high level pain barrier + cyclone seems like a great combo. I can always use Bash or Thrust for getting DPE to proc right?

I wouldn’t concern yourself with DPE. Like I said its a small perk and the main reason you’d take doppel is for cyclone. Like use it and get some bonus loot on some mobs maybe but it’s not really a thing Id worry about having a tool to break it with. I didnt take bash or Thrust. But you could if you decide you’d rather use Guardian than Gungho. I have 10 gungho, 15 concentrate and 15 pain barrier with 5 in double slash. Reason for concentrate over Gungho is that sometimes I use Guardian over it if the hit to kill difference is negligible (I.e. if using Gungho wont decrease time to kill). But pain barrier certainly isn’t necessary its just nice and Hl2 should still be fine.

Ultimately DPE shouldn’t be something you worry about, use it if you can and don’t feel to bad if you can’t. Cyclone is just so good for that group farming that even if I just got Cyclone for investing into doppel I’d be satisfied. Anything else you get from it is a bonus. But again this is a byproduct of the fact that nothing at R8 really feels “great” for Corsair. You are going to get “something” for R8. If you want to farm I’d go with doppel. If you want to get a bit more damage Shinonbi is the option (but if you want more damage Id just go Corsair 1 in some other actually better build for damage).

If you are going all in on silver farming: Doppel no question. Hl2 and S3 are pretty much up to you, but peltasta is probably a must for silver farming cyclone.

Klaipeda: Amiione