Tree of Savior Forum

Client freezes constantly

This never happened to me before, but since two or three weeks ago, whenever I participate in a dungeon or Saalus run with a character, at some point the client “freezes” (it stays responsive, as you can clearly move your character around, but cannot interact with your environment – this is really annoying, as you do not immediately detect the problem and could waste your run), often after 80-90% of map completion. The only way for me to fix the situation is to kill the ToS process in the taskbar and relaunch the game.

Note: this happens ALMOST EVERY TIME.

On a side note, the same problem happens randomly when switching maps. The little character that digs on the loading screen sometimes stops digging at roughly 70% and the client stays frozen. Then killing the process and restarting the client is the only way to fix that.

Have you verified the game cache? It may be missing files since last patch.

1 Like

same is happening to me, like, everytime, especially inside instances like et and saalus.

1 Like

@olivier-benard @manolopassini so, seems the probably you both are getting related to connection.

Are you by chance playing over wi-fi? Could you try staying somewhere near the router or use a cable just to see if it stops happening?

From there you could maybe think on better wi-if settings for your range or replace the router if that’s the case.

But it also could be your ISP route and connection problems outside your reach. That’d be only solved by either contacting your ISP and trying to get it fixed/changed or using PVN.

As a side note: Is it a common factor to have a Falconer in the party when you crash? It could be a related issue to Aiming+Cirlcing and 0 AoE Defense Ratio issues.

It’s not a crash (at least the one OP is talking about).
I have the issue regularly too, and it’s basically just a desync. Your game simply stops responding (TOS on strike). You can move your character, but nothing else moves anymore and you cannot use your skills or anything. The only way to quit is to forcefully close TOS.
Since you still get the rewards if you’re in an event/instance I guess it means you aren’t disconnected from the game, so I don’t think it’s a connection issue ?
Sometimes it also happens when I’m all alone in town simply moving from one point to another, so I also don’t think the lag or skills are the ones causing it, or at least the only/main culprits. Funnily enough, I never get VGA errors or crash because of Falconers, Cleave, or whatever (even during the whale event) but I have this weird freezing bug.
This problem is such a mystery~
I know that for me it started months ago, like back in April/May/June or something, and since then it’s been happening regularly. Although it doesn’t happen as often as it does to OP.
But really, sometimes I can play for hours without any problem, some other times after only 5-10 minutes it does that @_@

2 Likes

You can stay online after a desync up to 5 minutes so if the instance/challenge finishes during that time you get everything even though you lost connection. The rewards are server-side o:

this happens to me sometimes eversince i started playing 2 years ago.

i believe it’s a connection issue (if you say it’s constantly happening) that’s triggered by a sudden spike of stuff to be loaded that leads to desynching from the game

you can still talk to other players even though everything else is not updating. but other players will see you moving normally

i usually just wait until it disconnects me if im fighting bosses on dungeons runs. or just close the game if stuck on loading screens (though i’d like to add that being stuck on loading screens has a higher chance of getting back into the game)

I believe so too.
Not a true disconnection, but just suddenly it feels like the game wants to load a lot of things but your connection fails to do it on time I guess, and it ends up like that.

@LunarRabbit
I see~
But yeah, I don’t think it’s a complete loss of connection since we can still chat normally ?
I’ve been disconnected before because of my net (sudden spike of downloads/loadings by a third person or just a reboot), and it usually kicks me off from the game in a few seconds. Here sometimes I’ve waited for minutes, and it doesn’t seem to ever kick me (or start working again).
Although I’m not a pro about this kind of things, so it might truly just be a disconnection like you said, but a slower/weirder.

2 Likes

I got many too times as well in uphill as now people are doing it for the coins. It used to happen before the coins patch but after it the number increased. I suppose it is due some bug in the client and server sync , probably due the high number of enemies and damages and effects (buff and debuffs). Does some one have the list of imc people to mark here so they could read the thread please

Seems to be much better since Monday. Didn’t experience any freeze, although I still got numerous big drops in FPS when there are Bokors/Necromancers around. It’s probably the summons/minions.

So yeah that’s a desync, not a connection problem. My explanation as an online multiplayer roguelike RPG maintainer myself (it’s a small game, but doesn’t have this kind of problem :wink:) is twofold:

1. Server sends a big update to client, bit of it is lost, client doesn’t acknowledge received packet properly and goes bonky. Fix: client should gracefully fail if the received data is incomplete, this should at best miss a screen update and at worst miss an input command

2. Server sends a “keepalive” packet, client doesn’t respond, server thinks client is disconnected and stops sending data, leaving the client in endless waiting. Fix: client should ALWAYS send a keepalive packet, server should disconnect client as soon as no keepalive packet is received after a while.

Devteam should at least ensure those two are properly implemented…

Bah just happened again (dun 270), and I can confirm there was a Bokor and a Sorc/Necro in the party. I’m sure it’s something with these pets…

Just providing some info.

This has happened to me but with two different cases.

1. I desync, my teammates notice I stopped moving, can’t chat, get dced some mins later.
  2. I desync, my teammates notice that I keep moving and cast skills, can chat, I don’t get dced and actually can blindly provide assistance the whole run is CM.

I can see how the first case is just a hard desync and the server doesn’t try to recover to keep me there at all, can happen randomly but mostly in town if too many people, doesn’t happen often.

The second case is weirder because it only has happened in CM sometimes but at least you’ll be able to complete the CM following some teammates directions.

Oh, sorry. I didn’t see this.

About the connection. It’s something like this: ToS have 3 connections. You can lose 1 of them and if it isn’t the main one you can either play with chat broken (chat server) but skills/etc “works” (combat/movement updates) or with chat working and skills/etc not working.

When it’s skill/attacks (let’s call it “channel server”) related though, you get disconnected after 5 minutes. There’s probably some “heartbeat” packet and 5 minutes is most likely the timeout.

If you actually lose the main connection or maybe all of them (not sure here), you most likely won’t notify the servers “hey, I closed my game” nor “hey, player, I’m disconnecting you” - it’s something like, the same as removing your network cable then connecting it again or restarting your router.

Update on this: as of now, this has become completely unbearable. Every Saalus mission, every uphill defense, every dungeon run and at least one desynch happens, if not more. Even when questing ALONE on maps… I’ve been playing for a year now, and I have never experience this before the last few weeks. This must have been introduced in a recent update, but I cannot guess which. My Internet connection didn’t change a bit, bandwidth/ping is still the same, but now I barely can play this game anymore…

Any graphic settings I could change to avoid this? Or better… any chance to fix this issue?

Are you playing on Fedimian? Does it only happen in the evening, like during peak time? Does the name of your ISP start with “F”?

Fedimian yes. Happens at anytime, not just during peak. And no, I’m not using Free :slight_smile:

hi all, so i been getting into this game, (on steam) and im at a part were i have to search for vubber fighter then a boss pops out, every time i go attack it game gos unresponsive? WHY? HELP PLS!!

Sadly we can’t help you, we are all suffering because of the same problem.
I just got dc’ed while doing 270 under the effect of a multiplyer token.

My rewards and entries for today are lost, but i am happy because i know soon i’m gonna quit this sh!t.
I also don’t understand why is there no Known Issues announcement about this on the news page. :confused: This is a pretty crucial problem, and the last KI was on Feb 7.

EDIT: Looking at it again, i did recieved my rewards, i guess so, because i don’t know how many cubes i had before, but still.

How are your entries lost if you only consume entries by successfully completing the dungeon and receiving rewards?

I’ve confirmed this multiple times.

If your entry was consumed. You did receive the exp and silver from those dungeon runs.

Including Multiplier token effects are applied as well, unless you left the dungeon and re-entered without setting the multiplier count.

Another question.

Do you have any connection problem to other websites? How’s your ping? Are you playing too far from the server? Are you using wi-fi connection or cable connection?

Desyncs usually occur due to connection issues and/or poor computer performance. I have not had this happen to me for months, and when it did, it was like once.

You should check these things on your end and give details.

1 Like