Tree of Savior Forum

Clerics to use Prayer Beads as off-hand & Monk weapon

#Clerics to use Prayer Beads as off-hand & Monk weapon

Hey IMC

By all honesty, aside from Paladin, Clerics classes wielding shields does seem to look visually right. Since clerics are religious based classes why not make the better option to have clerics benefit more with items such as prayer beads.

In tradition to Granado Espada, the support characters primary weapon is the different types of Rosary. http://ge.jupath.me/GranadoEspadaUSA-Items-Rosario.html

In ToS case it can be generalized as Prayer Beads since almost all religious culture has a form of it.

But whatever the case make player rather opted to equip Prayer Beads if they are building support type and shield if they are building a Tank type for the off hand equipments. Since there is a weapon swap they can switch around the two.

#As for the Monk class

I believe many would agree that Monks should be armed with Gauntlets instead of Maces and Hammers. The Swordsman class already has 4 types of weapons(1h sword/2h sword/1h spear/2h spear) to choose from, like wise the Archers aswell(bow/crossbow/pistol/rifle), surely you can add another type of weapon for the Monks and future Martial Arts themed classes.

edit:
And make Guantlets as 2hand weapons

1 Like

I remember there’s a sub-weapon trailer showing various sub-weapons beside shield and dagger (Steparu even had a watering can :sweat_smile:). So I bet there gonna be prayer beads or rosary ingame as well.

I’m thinking it should be the primary off hand weapon as a religious based classes.

You can hold a wand in one hand and a rosary in the other. Seems good enough to me :grin:

I never seen a Monk use weapon in any game. Really.
They always use Bare Hand or Gauntlet.
Oh wait, Shaolin monk use staff sometimes. nvm.

precisely…IMC should implement Gauntlets as main weapons for future martial arts classes. Especially for the Monk class.

Like you said, this would be good for future martial arts classes. But only if that were the case. Also, something like claws would be more universal, in the off chance we have an assassin class, and for a FF-like Puppeteer scenario.

Additionally, I feel like a healer offhand is superfluous. If you want healer stats on an offhand, get a healer shield. Additionally, they could make claws or whatever fist weapon be a 2h, which would make the most sense anyway.

That’s probably because the media/pop culture interpretation of what the term “Monk” generally tends toward its definition/role in Asiatic cultures.

That is, when someone says “monk”, the first thing that comes to the average person’s mind is a bald, robe-wearing kung-fu master that lives on a mountaintop monastery somewhere in China (as you said, a “Shaolin monk”).

In western cultures, the militant members of various types of monastic orders were often monks - the most prominent example of this would be the Christian Templar and Hospitaller Knights, both of whom were known to wield myriad weapons (swords, daggers, spears, bows, etc).

However, there’s really nothing that distinguishes such a “monk” from the “knight” archetype common in video games; a “Shaolin monk” type is much more “original” and “exotic”.

1 Like

ToS Monk looks definitely Asian reference

Agree, that is just pop-culture of both western and eastern media influences. Monk has a variety of weapons, including blade weapons as well.

Shaolin monks practice in the use of variety of weapons, as well as weapons introduce to them from other culture. You can see demonstration of monk using weapons such as hook sword, pierce weapon such as Emei Piercers, and whip weapon such as the Whip Chain, on the show Deadliest Warrior.

Media just like portraying them as pacifist that do not like to severe people body, resulting in death. If you study their history, it is fill with a lot of blood-shed.

I like the idea, but what would be your secondary attack with the Rosary? Secondary weapons can also be books, flowers, orbs, etc. There are already some “unique” secondary weapons such as the bubble thingy or the wind weapon. We should expect more secondary weapons in the future.

The “Gauntlets” idea seems logic, but there can be conflicts with other class skills such as Smite for Paladin.

just as with all the classes espcially archers (bow/crossbow/pistol/rifle) and swordsmen(1h sword/2h sword/1h spear/2h spear) have 4 types of weapons which skills will not work on each other. Which is why IMC implemented a weapon swaping system so that players can easily switch between weapons for their skill cycles.

A Guantlet is simply a 2 Hand Weapon to be more inline with the popular notion of monks in mmorpgs.

I think fists will eventually come to ToS. I also expect Whips and Musical instruments :smile:

I’d be happy with pretty much anything for the current mace and shield combo. It doesn’t really make any sense since every skill is fist and body based. Hopefully, the current weapon setup is placeholder to simplify animations.