Tree of Savior Forum

[Class] Official Magician Discussion (ask anything)

I donā€™t get the reasoning dropping linker for another pyro. Sure you have double the damage by yourself but link more than double the damage of everyone and that is very huge.

Plus herding mobs via hangman ensures you hit everyone with a fireball instead of trying to herd them one by one.

There is a reason linker is the most OP class.

While I know people always prefer solo (as do myself) there is no doubt that you will be needing a party (specially when raid comes out) and you may want the highest chance of people picking you over other party member. Everyone can dps, so you need to separate yourself with some utility buffs.

I am currently playing another character with another mage branch so I could have a deeper understand of the class as a whole.
Previous char level 200 Wiz>Pyro>Linker>Ele>Sorc>Nec
current level 110 Wiz>Cryo>Psy>Thau-----Chrono>Alch

Second circle of pyro is doubling damage of just Fireball. Flame ground is about 20% damage increase. With additional spell Fire Pillar with super long CD.

Linker on the other hand double damage of Fire ball, Flame ground, Summons, everything plus team mates. And all of your spell will be easier to land. Plus you have a mobs disabled for 5 sec which is enough time to cast spell safely without taking any damage.

Wow, you are going to try every single mage class!
How is the ice wall + PP combo? Would the ice wall break too easily and is it better to go Cryo2 than Thauma?

Well the ice wall combo sure looks good on paper and OP on videos running around but when I tried it, I quickly run into some serious problems:

-Ice wall CD is 1 min while PP is 30 sec so you only get to see the glory every 1 min
-With the recent neft to reflect shield, just getting one hit while doing PP will cancel it, it sucks so bad that you have to wait another minute to try again
-C1 Cyro, dont have enough tiles with wall to encase a boss and low hp of wall
-And my biggest gripe of all. The combo takes roughly half your damn SP bar, every time since its percentage based.
-Outside of that ridiculously hard to set up/maintain combo, you only have ice bolt (energy bolt v2) and ice pike (earthquake v2)

I dont think going cryo2 will solve most of the problem, specially that sp consumption

Thanks very much for your reply, I imagine Cryo -> Psy is going to be a ā€œPvPā€ oriented wizard and we cannot expect much in term of PvE then.

The only way to balance is to have single hit attacks have more Matk scaling than what currently is. Additive formula is really difficult to balance for this wide range of level. I hope they change skill formula to (XX% * Matk) + YY which is going to be more balanced from lvl 1 to 600.

come :slight_smile:

@tehmimichan:

Haha, I was thinking about the 2nd mage build as well. Itā€™s a support mage with burst damage potential. I figured Item Awakening is just soo good. Most of the equips my main Wiz ended up with are awakened items.

Yeah, Ice Wall + Psychic Pressure is actually quite tricky and not -that- rewarding. Plus, thereā€™s a one-minute cooldown time between combos (since IW lasts 15 sec and its CD is 75 sec).

I kind of wanted to try Cryo3 + Psychoā€¦and maybe add Sorceror as the last rank since iirc, one of its summons drains your SP over time? Or was it Necro? That goes well with Psychic Pressure: basically keep SP pool low, use gems/equips to increase SP recovery so that your SP bar fills up fast. With Cryo3, at least youā€™ll have Snow Rolling and Frozen Pillar when Ice Wall is on cooldown. Additionally, level 15 Ice Pike/Ice Bolt should be somewhat decent at dealing damage and freezing. I still feel Cryo is lacking in damage but we can probably compensate by having a summon to provide additional DPS. The only issue here is that Cryo is a -burst damage- class, so continually using the skills consumes quite a lot of SP (A LOT MORE than Pyro). I am not sure whether a slim SP pool can survive this.

Well, with all that said and done, I finished building my wizard char. In the next CBT or OBT Iā€™ll go with Wizard/Pyro/Linker/Ele 3. :smiley: I went Pyro 2 this beta but I really hate setting up Fireballs, and I donā€™t like it in general. I prefer having more Hail/Meteor/Freezing Sphere damage, and having a second ground skill (Frost Cloud) is just much more flexible than having 1 Flame Ground. Besides, Frost Cloud is bigger and stronger :smiley:

How do you like freezing sphere?

I have tested lvl 5 on a dragon in in mage tower and I actually did not expext the damage to be so low.

Im starting to think that its not worth maxing. Am I missiing something?

1 Like

seyren

Keep in mind that icewall combo does drains almost half your hp. If you want a sorc that would put a strain on your sp even more. If you really insist on a summoning class, go necro. Not only their summon doesnt consume SP, they dont time out so they stay there as long as they are not killed. If you think damage is a bit lacking, then throw one pyro in the mix. PP on fireball is good as well.

elfochka
Freezing sphere is a decent ice skill that behaves almost identical to ice bolt, itā€™s quick casting, double hit, decent AoE and three overheat charge and decent cooldown so itā€™s good at cleaning left over mobs and a skill to use in between your large cooldown skills.

Yeah,if you want cryo 3 youā€™ll really want some good sp recovery + always carrying potions, the mana cost is like 100+ for ice pike. before i invested in some SPR i had around 1k mana pool and ice pike is taking 10% of it each cast. Using other filler (wizard) spells was not too taxing for me though. ( donā€™t mind the icewall, the buttonā€™s broken)

http://imgur.com/Di8c2xF

http://imgur.com/nL029YX

cryo 3 is fun, especially once you get to mage tower, i didnā€™t pick psychokino and went chronomancer instead since i preferred stabbing walls with the arde dagger vs the psychic setup. boss fights / constant fights put a heavy strain on your mana pool though.

I am biased towards Bolt-type skills, so I like Freezing Sphere. Itā€™s fast casting, has 3 attacks before it overheats, has a cool animation and is stronger than level 15 Ice Bolt at level 5. FYI I still use Energy Bolt level 5 at rank 5 (with some silver invested into its attributes), so yeah, Iā€™m biased towards Bolt skills.

Yeah, I suppose that SP drain would be too much if we combine Psycho and Sorceror.

Cryo 3 looks fun, but unless they reduce Ice Wallā€™s cooldown time by 15 seconds or more, or give Cryo a more damaging skill/enchant frost to increase damage, I will probably stick with Elementalist 3.

EDIT: I imagine if I were to create a Cryo 3 and give him the equips my main Wiz is currently using (all the awakened equips with elemental damage), heā€™ll still deal decent damage, but ā€¦

EDIT 2: The advantage of keeping your SP pool low for Psycho and/or Sorceror is that high level SP pots will heal more of your SP in terms of the % recovered, which makes it easier to come back and reuse the skill that drains SP. Since SP pots have significant cooldown time, this is quite an important consideration. Also, I would bring other SP healing items like Dilgele if your SP pool is small, as it may help to recover your SP faster. It also has a much lower cooldown time (10 seconds) so you can spam it more.

Iā€™ve got a mechanic question. If you get hit while casting(animation started) a spell, will it really go into cool down without actually casting it? note that this is casting and not charging.

Another is with Snow Rolling, if you get knocked back while on top of the snow ball will it really be canceled?

Thanks!

Can anyone try Pyro C3 gives reviews about hell breath? Is it worth or just level up fire pillar and fireball?

@falenasfrey
as i notice it different on case to case basis sometimes when I got cc when im just about to unleash the attack, I would be frozen in place but the skill will be released after cc. I think itā€™s for some skill that you can force cast early (not cast full bar like meteor) that gets the cd even if you didnt cast as opposed to other skill that requires you to have full bar to be able to cast it (hail)

And yes, I tested this insensibly earlier in pvp, you can cancel snow rolling with gust, just make sure you aim at the position where he started channeling the snow ball (so hit box is actually at the ice ball not the player above)

kmin
I tested it, decent damage, roots you in place but you can change direction, and does a good knock back with attributes on. The only problem is that mp consumption. For me, kinda not worth it, rather max fireball/flame ground

Is wiz>pyro>linker>pyro>linker>linker> warlock. is it good? fireballs lurking around the map.

For boss hunting? JP donā€™t work on some boss because you donā€™t have anything to link to.

i plan to build summons army by sorcerer-necroā€¦but since the last update on krOBT, few of important skill (at least important for me) have removed to advance rank, ex: hold (sorc c2) and skel summons (necro c2)ā€¦
this make everything i had plan changedā€¦if the AI of boss summon still dumb like on the cbt, then hold skill on sorc c2 wil be a must have skill, but i cant take skel summonsā€¦if i want to have skel summons than i dont have hold skill to control my boss summon :weary: do you have any idea what path i should take based on this situation?
and featherfoot seems a good class to be more survived as summons master, but i think taking this class will be out of question right now for summons master

@krince
Are you gonna be always in an active party? Else I donā€™t think linker 3 is viable, might as well get pyro3 or swap 2 linker for ele2

@mirara
You can link the traps with the boss, or those bosses that summons minions? Then again how much percent of your playing time would you be fighting bosses vs grinding mobs.

@naru
I have the same sentiment, Iā€™d get necro2 solely because of the skel summon, I mean as a sorc, even with hold, AI is dumb enough anyway so might as well go with the more aggressive skeletons

Featherfoot seems to be only good if you took thau somewhere for transpose, else im leaning on warlock, as a summoner, we shouldnt get hit a lot anyway and its better to have powerful skills to clear elite mobs while our summon takes care of trash ones

yes, the ideal play of necro is we dont get hit, but in case we do get a hit, featherfoots skills are very helpful to be more survive :smiley:

I was thinking of a Mage Tanker build

Which route do you think is better?

1. Wiz1>Cryo3>Thau2>Featherfoot
  2. Wiz1>Cryo2>Thau3>Featherfoot