Tree of Savior Forum

Change damage formula, suggest your damage formula here

The current damage formule is super terrible, so wizard don’t need INT and go full CON, 200 magic def and 500 magic def don’t make much different in late game.
1 damage - 1 resis always suck, I think we need to change this

My suggestion, example with magic atk and magic defense:
Damage reduction = 1 - (M.atk + INT) / (M.atk * 0.8 + INT * 0.6 + Enemy M.def * 2)
For a full CON wizard: 800 M.atk and 20 INT attack enemy have 300 M.def
Damage reduction = 1 - (800 + 20) / (800 * 0.8 + 20 * 0.6 + 300 * 2) = 0.345
Mean all magic damage deal to that enemy will be reduced by 34.5%, regardless of skill base damage.
For a normal wizard: 1100 M.atk and 320 INT attack enemy have 300 M.def
Damage reduction = 1 - (1100 + 320) / (1100 * 0.8 + 320 * 0.6 + 300 * 2) = 0.15
Only reduced by 15%, that make a huge different and make INT and Magic attack more important.
It also make magic defense more reliable.
If they have 1100 M.atk and 320 INT, you have 350 M.def, damage reduction = 19.86%
With 400 M.def, damage reduction = 24.14%

What do you think, with a diffenrent formula, Magic attack and INT will worth to invest even the skill base damage is super huge and have awful scaling. I think it better if we change damage scaling formula too.

1 Like

formula looks good to me

Where’s T1,T2,T3? Where’s attribute getting calculated? Where’s additional damage getting calculated? Where are bonuses calculated?

This formula is missing half of what’s needed. You should really start with the existing tos formula then rework that to scale so all the modifiers are included. It’s much more complicated to make a working scaling formula because there are a lot of different modifiers and multipliers that have to take effect.

I think most of the people who bitch about the damage formula don’t actually know how it works. On one hand they say defense is worthless and reducing damage by 200 does nothing so you might as well just use Cafrisun set forever, and then on the other they rage about being oneshot by blue spion archers.

This is just damage calculation for defense, damage calculation for attacker can be the same
I don’t remember all those stuff like T1 T2 T3 but it just
(base damage + your damage + bonus damage - defense) * multiplier
right?
My suggest formule is damage recude by defense should be calculation at the end of damage calculation, your damage should get reduce with percentage than fixed amount, it will always better.
Example: your attack deal 10000 damage after calculation with base damage, bonus multiplier, T1 T2 T3 etc then that damage will be recude by x % by enemy defense
Just need to remove defense from old formula.

Well they have a fair point for endgame. The damage formula works fine until enemies are doing 10-20k per hit, then the max reduction of 1k before multipliers starts to do very little. And that’s super stacking defence too.

However before end game and particularly against multihit moves it definitely has value. The multi hits take quite a reduction because it’s applied to each individually rather than the aggregate total of all of them.

The fake multihits still hurt like hell though.

The problem is that it’s really not an easy thing to solve. I can’t see something that doesn’t break in early game or break horribly at late game. But it’s complicated and difficult to see all the different possibilities.

The formula is:

Damage = ((Aggregate Attack - Aggregate Defense) * Crit factor + Critical Attack + Bonus Elemental Attack + Racial Specific Damage) * T1 * T2 * T3 * Attribute factor + Bonus Damage

T1 T2 T3 are skill multipliers like Quick Cast Cast giving +50%

That why it suck, the current formule make defense nearly useless if you hit by super high base damage 20k +++ which will appear a lot after rank 8 release. Read this thread [Rank 8] This powercreep is absolutely ridiculous
Reduce by percentage will be better.

I think the problem with endgame is moreso the fact that there are so few defense modifiers, and literally no magic defense modifiers.

damage formula?

please

critical chance/damage/resistance formula also needs to be reworked… DEX is garbage stat and CON is big “■■■■ you” to everyone who want to make some kind of crit pvp build (at least now gems and other gear work in PvP… I think)

not to mention dodge and block not protecting from magic even partially

I don’t mind dodge and block at all. It’s part of the overall design and makes sense thematically. It works.

But defence really should scale properly for tanks, and magic defence is in need of a serious buff. Especially if they want anyone to consider SPR as a viable stat and not a complete waste of time. Not enough resist is gained for the loss of other parts of a build and there’s no real way to buff resist with gear or gems like you can buff crit rate, evasion or block. It’s supposed to work similarly, but there isn’t any gear that makes magic resist viable like crit/eva/block.

Theorhetically you could resist a full 80% of all CCs with a SPR build. But to achieve that you do zero damage, have little health and it’s just not very viable. Clerics could pull it off though with their bonus, which kinda makes sense at R8 as they’re obviously the anti-wizard class in the Rock Paper Scissors design of the game.

They should just increase the damage from every point in str or int then instead of getting bonus stat for every rank, it should increase the effectiveness of every point
(ex. before: 1 str = 1 p.atk , to 1 str = x p.atk*(insert really complicated formularank)
The damage coming from skills should also be changed from having an innate base damage value to (somethingsomething
skillvl)% of your current m.atk/p.atk then all the other modifiers.

The thing about the damage in this game is that as the rank progresses the more obsolete your previous ranks become because the damage is stagnant and increasing str or int gives neglibile increase. Meanwhile mob HP are jumping from 50k to 100k to 400k and you’re still sitting with 1.8k base damage on full x stat and your skills have maybe 1k~2k base damage value. Previous ranks are practically only useful if it has some utility or a damage modifier to increase the damage of further ranking skills since higher ranking skills have a better base damage value.
Take a look at what happened with wizard in the r8 patch. Other classes get new damage skills and since it’s higher rank, it’s better. Meanwhile wizards are more on support and utility now instead of the previous ‘best dps class’ because the main damage tree elementalist is an r4-r6 class and their r8 updates mostly provide utility instead of a new damage spell.

Whats happening is here is that what may seem like the best DPS build right now is probably going to be garbage in the future updates because future ranks or class upgrades are going to have better damage than previous ranks.

Oh and defense should also change too.

The formula is ok, the real problem here are flat scalling base damage skills making stats other than con and dex be pretty much useless.

Why am I supposed to stack 600 int to increase my damage by 20% if I can stack 500 con and increase my initial life by 300% while also giving me defense and block rate ( which is so hard to come by).

If I need damage I can just get one of those huge atk damage weapons and do some upgrades ( which contributes more than stacking damage stats) or even better Enhancements which make damage stat scalling even worse.

All they need to do is change skills from flat base vallues to % numbers , that way full con builds will have very little damage even with enhancing attributes and it also lowers the problem with the skills of classes you passed up early to get utility ( since those skills by rank 8 wont matter anymore with bases as high as 8k).

damage stats only really shine when skills have a lot of multihits as demonstrated years ago that this would happen as the game further develops into the later stages.