Tree of Savior Forum

Buff & Revamp Alchemist's Combustion Skill

Combustion
For those that don’t know what Combustion is, it’s an Alchemist skill that explodes an item on the ground that causes some damage. When there is no item on the ground to explode, there is an attribute that consumes 200 silver in place of an absent item to explode.

Issues with Dig
One may think that Dig would work well with Combustion, but Dig has a long cast time, and whatever item that is produced from Dig is spawned in a random spot around the Alchemist, and is usually vacuumed quickly by one of the party members before there’s a chance to use Combustion.

Broken Attribute?
The attribute that consumes 200 silver in place of an absent item only works sometimes. I’m not sure if it’s a bug, or if there’s an item off screen somewhere that is being exploded which doesn’t activate the attribute’s effect. But, this isn’t a bug report.

Lack of Options and Variety for Alchemists
Combustion is 1 of 2 offensive skills that Alchemists have, and should have the opportunity to be a good skill. There are very few variations for Alchemist builds, since most people choose something like Cryomancer > Psychokino > Alchemist for efficient leveling so that they can make Potions, only to find out that they put too much effort into making something that makes no profit. In the end, almost no one levels up Combustion.

How to Improve Combustion

• Give it Overheat
  • Improve the damage
  • Revamp the skill so that it doesn’t explode an item. Instead, allow it to consume silver for explosions. Or, if you’d like to get “creative,” add explosive bottles at the cost of 200 silver to the Alchemist Master to use for explosions. Or, you can make us work hard to craft the explosives, rewarding us with big damage.
  • Remove how the skill determines whether a target is within range in order to successfully use Combustion with Silver. Allow Combustion to successfully create an explosion, regardless of whether something is in range of the explosion or not.
  • As a bonus, improve the animation since it’s a very small and sad explosion.
2 Likes

Regarding the attribute, I think the combustion without any items has kind of a set distance that you need to be in order for the hit to land. It’s kind of a mid range skill; if you’re too close to the enemy it often doesn’t land a hit.

It’s not about the hit. When the skill is successful, there is an explosion, simultaneously creating a sound effect of an explosion like Fire Ball. What you’re describing, is that the skill(when used without an item to explode), will not create an explosion or consume silver if there’s no target in the correct range. However, I can successfully create an explosion in town without a target sometimes–while other times, it doesn’t work at all in and out of town.

why should a money making circle have good dps?

Everyone have a bad idea about combustion. It’s a good skill with a good dmg. But agree with more overheat for this skill.
If you are using mouse + keyboard, you can choose what target you want to combustion, with “200” silver. And also it does 2k% dmg. My main character is wiz2, kino3, alch3… and i’m focus on PvP. (I have combustion enhence lv 70, and it does 2,6k% dmg)

There is only one bug about dig. When I was in PvP, I raised some people, then casting dig for combustion for more “explosions”, but if you have already died… the dig itens that you harvest will placed on the same place where you died before.

That’s not at all what I’m describing. I’m saying that there’s a set range where you throw the silver and make an explosion, and typically when there are targets in that narrow hitbox, the attack will successfully land. If the target is too close or too far, you’ll either see no explosion, or you’ll see an explosion at that set distance away from your chara and it won’t hit (in this case, it does consume silver).

As for what happens in town, perhaps it has to do with how some objects may be targetted by the game, so explosion successfully happens, idk.

Why should there be 2 skills, meant for damage, not have any good damage?
And to be fair, Alchemists and any money making class hardly makes a profit.
Furthermore, as I explained in my original post:

Thank you so much for the explanation! The skill description is deceiving and so few people use Combustion, so what I know is from experience. This one time, I decided to play with controller rather than keyboard, lol. I’ll try the skill out with keyboard next time!

What a strange bug, lol. I’ll keep this in mind.

Okay, I understand now. That makes Combustion a little too “conditional” when it doesn’t have to be, don’t you think? :disappointed_relieved: