Tree of Savior Forum

BOT Information

I’d just like to clear a few things on BOTs and why it is unlikely to eliminate them in any game, despite a developer’s best efforts.

I am not an expert, but I am a computational biologist and I have written several LUA scripts for League, and a couple of aim-‘bots’ for CSGO and other FPS games. I know some much better than I, whom make a VERY decent living off the updating and support of these bots.

The first thing you must understand is that for the people who create these programs, this is their life. This is how they make their money, and feed themselves. They may or may not have any relationship with the gold selling, or power-leveling websites themselves, but they provide the software and capability to provide these types of services. The people who create these programs are … smart. There’s no better way to describe it, but for those of you whom get offended by this, lets stick to the definition that ‘smart’ in this post is in relation to ability to read, and write abstract code in particular computer languages. They are probably smarter than you, and smarter than me, and smarter than even the developers of the game. Because of this … good bots are difficult to detect, and often impossible to rid completely, even if you somehow come into access with the source code.

A bot is a computer program that preforms automated tasks. Generally in order for the bot to function properly, you need to programatically do two things: detect what or gather what is happening ingame, and then provide input into or to the game client. Of the two, detecting what is happening is the more difficult. This can be done a variety of ways, intercepting a game’s data packets which helps with identification of player action, capturing an image and parsing it, looking at text on the screen such as enemy and game messages and game clocks and so on. Monitoring of a game’s memory space by seeing what memory a game updates similar to Game Genie, and so on.

Giving input into a game is easier, we’re all probably familiar with this. Emulation of input via fake keyboard or mouse signals, game scripting, writing data directly into a game’s memory space, and etc.

So just as an example … you could search the screen for the name of an enemy which can be stored as many things, but something simple could be a picture with the game’s font, and then script a small program that clicks a small distance below the name of the enemy to attack it.

So what is the point of this topic? The point is … it’s unrealistic to believe that ToS will be bot-free. I am certain that a large majority of the forums will be in outrage a few months in because bots will most certainly be coming into the game. The severity of the bot problem will depend largely on how successful the game is. Pointing fingers at the developers and saying “your game sucks, you need to fix the bot problem” is pointless. You cannot cure a cancer. At least not without causing damage to the cancer victim. The same can be said for ToS and bots. Bots are the cancer, but in order to remove them completely the developers would need to implement a absolute no trading policy, which hurts the players. This doesn’t stop powerleveling, or similar forms of item grinding.

So what can be done? Technically, there are probably a few things you could do. Having worked for a aim-bot company for a bit, there are probably a few flaws that can be taken advantage of by the developers. But i’d like to dispel a few rumors or ‘suggestions’.

1. Join a bot forum and download the bot and then fix the problem by targeting the source code. You DO NOT want to do this. Many of these sites have fine print in their contracts when you decide to purchase or sign up for their site. You WILL run into legal issues. Whether this is un-lawful, or allowed in a legal setting, only a REAL lawyer could let us know. But I know of a specific case where my old ‘company’ was able to pursue legal action against a FPS developer but it was quietly handled.

2. Give people the power to temporarily ban players they suspect to be bots and then allow the developers to review the ban. This is a horrible idea. The world is ■■■■. You will have players that will abuse that power. The developers have neither the time or the money to go through 300-500 bans a day and review them. How do you even decide someone is a bot? Because they are grinding for hours and not talking? Maybe they don’t want to talk.

3. CAPTCHA or similar. Doesn’t work. Any decent bot can solve a complicated CAPTCHA, or be scripted to run a minigame. This is only an annoyance to the legit players.

Any questions? Let me know.

My suggestions? None that I can offer that are a ‘simple’ solution or that are not technical in nature.

22 Likes

this is what im getting: bots are made by geniuses and should not be dealt with
ppl making a living off illegal activities belong to the prison

1 Like

Bot programs are illegal because it is not part of the game and it needs the effort of all community to eliminate botting.
But even so, there are no absolute method to prevent botting. What we can do, is reduce botting to minimum by not using it and stop being “smart” into those things.
You cheat, you get punished, simple as that. And I believe if we work hark enough with admin and mods, botting won’t be a big issue anymore.
And fish you if you write bot programs to cheat, FISH YOU!
report-- - - - - -report REEEEEEEEEPOOOOORT

Holy crap, for someone like me that know nothing about bots, this post was very enlightening. Well done sir, well done.

I did know, however, that getting rid of these pricks is no easy task so i never give companies a hard time if i see that they are clearly putting efforts to reduce this kind of behavior, somethings just doesn’t work out.

Well… we then need to have ways to identify whats a bot or not.

Bots do complete repeated tasks and will not do other tasks that it’s not assigned with. So, if you see a person failing to respond then it’s likely that it’s a bot.

Bots would also keep repeating the same tasks even if it’s not benificial to it

In the early game, in the earliest version of the game itself, The bot creators wouldn’t be able to create a bot that would be able to handle multitude of situations yet. They might even continue farming when a world boss is around. Bots wouldn’t even move away from the spot even though a different map with better exp is somewhere else.

Like you stated, as of right now, we can’t defeat botting. It’s going to happen and there’s nothing we can do. The only possible way we can stop these people is by identifying them and hoping the IMC moderators to ban them outright.

The change will come from tards who buy their gold. Just don’t interact with them, don’t buy their gold. That’s one part.

3 Likes

If everyone lived by your logic, the world would be doomed, not that it has anything to do with this subject, but just because something is illegal, does not make it bad. Did you know that It is illegal to skateboard without a license in Florida?

It is bad because it is against the law, and there must be a reason for it despite whatever thought you have about it.
And it is bad because that’s cheating, and that goes against the norm of this community, not being alone illegal.
So are you saying, we should allow bots in this game but not in other games? And you don’t think botting (with cheating purposes) is bad at all?
Feel weird now?

How could a bot program solve a captcha that requires mouse input?

Example being 6 digit PIN number on the screen with a random value, and you have to click on the numbered buttons to satisfy the captcha.

The numbers on the screen are also randomized.

1 Like

they can make a program to be able to scan the screen with visual help. That’s why you see some captcha with scribble or fade words on it, but it actually is very annoying to people and it should not be repeat every hours. Or I will burn whoever near me.

Solution? just drop a carpetbomb on their house and their company!

Every problem can fix with explosive! If it’s not working, It’s mean you didn’t use enough explosive!!
KABOOM my friend!! Worship the pillar of Fire!! ヽ(✧ᨓ✧)ノ
That was a joke… (¬.¬)

5 Likes

Yeap. CAPTCHAs can be easily solved by bots. I remember one creator of a bot having thousands of CAPTCHA images to solve all of them using the bot.

basic captcha’s usually have keyboard input though. I am wondering if one could be sophisticated enough to complete it with only mouse clicks, if the button number location was also randomized.

Still can be solved by bots. They just have to waste more time getting more images.

Captcha. That is all.

1 Like

They aren’t made by geniuses. But they are made by people whom are good at what they do. The topic is only meant to help those understand that it’s not as simple as ‘get ride of the bots’. It doesn’t work that way.

1 Like

Great post for the community, I’m quite sure IMC already realized that.

Or somone who speaks a different language and ignoring you. Or a really young player.

Bots are prevalent in these kind of game because the game is fairly repetitive and lack complex problem solving.

The bots are not the problem. It’s merely a symptom of a gameplay that does not include complex problem solving / creativity (what humans are good at).

1 Like

My logic? There is no logic here. I am simply trying to provide information to those that have no idea what bots do or why they cannot be stopped. They can be controlled. Kept to a minimum. But a bot free game is a dead game. That is it. I am not being pessimistic.

1 Like

You have to re-read the post. I am not saying botting should be allowed. I’m saying that any posts with ‘suggestions on how to stop bots’ or angry posts about ‘why aren’t the developers stopping the bots’ are pointless because they are very very difficult to address.