Tree of Savior Forum

Beta Leveling - The Complete Guide or, "How I learned to stop worrying and love the grind"

Thanks for the comment, I obviously can’t compare because I only played a little archer and wiz this time. If I get in next time beta comes I will play an archer and see how it goes. I still think it will be fast, focusing on the stab weak spots I know of. But I won’t know till I try.

Just as an aside. Sword and AoE melee skills can only hit 3 mobs max, no matter how dense you stack the mobs. So it wouldn’t be 4-5, with ideal hitting/positioning it would be 3 at a time.

I need to sleep now so I will come back to this thread later to reply more.

1 Like

Good work. Your Textwall is op.

That is still way better than archer and wiz, idk about archer but Wiz drain SP like no tomorrow, lvling a pyro at this level grinding is a nightmare. Forget the SP drain you don’t have the skills to grind, fireball has 20s cd and at rank 5 it only hits 5 hits so disappear very fast, and energy ball does way less dmg so takes like 2-3 to kill mobs you need to grind one so after killing say like 10 mobs or less i’m stuck with only auto attack which depend on the mobs i’m fighting would get me killed so i have to sit there waiting on CD and spamming SP pots.

“Knowing thyself also means knowing the game. It means knowing that the EXP you get from any mob higher than 5 levels above you is severely penalized!”

This is wrong actually, sorry. You get normal exp from all mobs except below your level. And yes, that does mean the exp increase is very little throughout the levels. For instance, I got 70k exp from a lv 100 blue mob, being lv 60 myself.

I didn’t find pyro that hard to level actually, the CD on fireball is long yes but running out of SP is only because you don’t pot enough. I never felt that SP potion were expensive, you can easily solo as a pyro because fireball has enough damage. You just need to jump around until you can cast again.

It may (certainly) be different for wiz circle 2 though, I don’t think he has enough damage while his skills are even more SP draining.

I’ve never had this much fun grinding in a game before. The grinding was so fun that I was still grinding when the servers closed ( I couldn’t play for 2 whole days and still managed to get lv 81)

I don’t know what you are talking about, this game makes grind fun.

I’ve met tons of good people while doing it : Hisoka the streamer, stormakov, Heart , Lord and JusticeinField, TheBambi . I added them all on steam. I feel like I want to play with them again , can’t wait. I also met some rude players which added to the experience. I 've been playing mmos for the past decade and this is the first real social interaction I’ve had in a mmo.

So yeah, maybe you are the kind of guy who doesn’t make friends, but either way the rates are great and should stay low.

1 Like

Hey, really helpful guide. I’m a completetionist, but I feel like I may have missed a lot of secrets and quests. Do you know any that are commonly missed?

Really liked it!!

Thanks for the good read :smile:

The guide is great, and it’s good to see someone finally codify a lot of common mistakes and good, functioning strategies that a lot of other people have missed. Too many people ignore the most basic, obvious points of leveling in this game and chalk it up to some baby-eating EXP rate.

For every level 26 party grinding in ChapelB1 and crying about how they’ve spent 30 hours grinding, this is for you.

“And most importantly, ALWAYS join a party”

This is important to me. I like socializing and partying and I want people and strangers to be in efficient way to grind. But I can’t see it as beneficial to everyone unless there’s a bonus…

If I am getting 2 kills per 10 seconds at 100 exp per kill, I’m gaining 200 exp every 10 seconds.
If I party with someone and split exp half and half, and they are killing Once per 10 seconds, but the exp is split in half to 50
We are killing at a rate of 3 per 10 seconds together, both of us gaining 150 exp per 10 seconds.

How can partying be more efficient for every member in these ideal scenerios? A Cleric is useful to cut down resting time, but based on this guide resting time is a negative in the first place. If you could gain exp from going to a higher level area a party could turn a place that is a waste of money into a beneficial experience area, but because exp is penalized, a party of 5 averaging level 20 is better off in a level 20 area than a level 27 one, and based on what I said: Each member may be better off alone, or some members may be sacrificing potential exp to the party.

So how does that work out? Is kill time reduced so greatly by additional party members that partying becomes beneficial to all? I wonder what the answer could be.

Partying is a social activity I want to do either way, but I hope it’s also a viable method of leveling.

2 Likes

“The truth is I feel not just barbarians, but swordies need a nerf on the range of weapons or the dmg output, cause both are outstanding with no sp problems.”

This right here. Swords, particularly Barbarians, are just insanely good for grinding. They haev insane AoE with a melee weapon which makes no sense. Their OPness is likely why I saw more Barbarians than any other class by a huge margin, but it would be good to see some nerfs. Aside from the insane AoE capabilities they also out damage every other class by a huge margin. Barbarians were able to 2 shot mobs 7-10 levels higher than them with ease and using no SP, it was wild.

Compare that to an Archer, Wizard, or Cleric and it’s clear to see that if you want to be “King of the grind” then Swordies are BY FAR the only choice.

If this guide was “How I got top 100 with a Cleric/Wizard/non-AFK Archer” I’d be super impressed. As it is it reads as “How to do everything that’s obvious but be insanely far ahead because I chose this one single class”.

Perhaps next CBT put your guide to the real test and attempt to level a Cleric or Archer.

As others have mentioned, the ease of grind seems to vary depending on class as they all have different restrictions. But I still agree that this is a useful guide as maximizing damage output and minimizing damage taken will help any grind, even a little. In addition, grinding with these things in mind actually force you to play the game even more than you might have usually.

The generic alternative would be having more quests, but in that case, you’d just be spreading the grind so thinly that the only thing you’ll interact with game-wise is NPCs. Grinding might be a chore, but because it’s a chore, you’ll interact with other game elements to get around it. What can be said about just rushing through content? Should just watch a stream of the game then.

I understand that there are theories about why the grind was made this way in the game, but I hope they keep a semblance of it in the future, if just to encourage players to start actually playing the game from the beginning instead of at the end, when they’ll have nothing left to do.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I can’t get to everyone’s comment as I have work all day but I really appreciate your input!

On the topic of archers, like I said I cannot know for sure until I play one. But according to ToS Armory the third highest player (that ToS Armory saw) is a Wugushi, so archer based classes can’t be that bad.

1 Like

Bow - Stab
XBow - Stab

Variety XD

Archers lag behind in midlevels (iCBT average Lv25-45?). Kneeling shot is good for the “Hold Z” grind (I’m not even bored looking at my sexy archer + listening to awesome OST), but damage-wise it can, at most, kill with an average of 2-3 hits (except for super squishy mobs weak to stab). Other skills are SP costly so Kneeling Shot is debatably a god-sent skill for grinding.

1 Like

Great guide, thank you for your effort of doing this, tho I am afraid to agree with some comments…

I am a Wiz > Cryo > Psycho, going for Psycho 2 probably. Making things short, my pet is stronger than me for farming (but I can do bosses better, take that!).

C:

This is incorrect. Archers don’t have a penalty against “almost everyone” they simply don’t get a bonus.

Also you are significantly understating the damage bonus from kneeling shot. For me it was almost double damage. And sure, only one monster at a time, but you don’t have to deal with moving around. Any monster spawns within your shooting radius, which increases in kneeling stance, you get first dibs.

I personally was under the same misconception as you are currently, when I joined a party with 2 archers. They just knelt down in the middle of a high density area and went to work. Sure when 3 mobs spawned and I was right next to them, I could kill them quickly. After all, they were slash weak mobs. However, the vast majority of the time the mobs didn’t spawn next to me. They didn’t spawn in groups of 3. And the archers demolished them before I was even able to dash across the screen and get to them.

Kneeling shot archers are fantastic levelers, you just need to know what you’re doing a little bit more than swordsman who has 2-3 damage type flexibility and significantly better AoE capacity.

I actually learned something from Monster hunter that may help with this conversation.

In Monsterhunter, the highest damage ranged weapon-- Heavy Bow Gun-- is unanimously agreed upon to be the ideal for speed runs. If possible, every member should have one. The reason is simple: Dealing damage from a range means dealing damage literally all the time except when dodging. Others have to chase down monsters. Imagine that the time spent walking between groups of monsters is down time that the Heavy Bow Gunner doesn’t have to deal with.

Perhaps the same can be said of archers in this game, range at no sacrifice to mobility means more consistent kill times with, I’m gonna say 2/3rds more time spent attacking rather than walking to the target of an attack.

This isn’t necessarily true, I’m just guessing. I never picked up an Archer myself…

It’s true, if archers deal the same or greater damage than swordsmen, even with Kneeling Shot. Like people say, swordies can equip different weapons, thus having different attack types. They have strong skills and passives. They can also dash to reach targets faster. Tree Root Crystals are common too so running out of stamina is highly unlikely, unless the player’s always dashing mindlessly.

Peltasta has Swash Buckling, a taunting skill to kite mobs, and Umbo Blow(?) as an AoE(?) skill? I’m not sure about that but I saw a Peltasta killing every taunted mobs around her with ease.

First, I think I misunderstood the damage types chart. I’m sorry, its one better one worse type.

About kneeling shot, I mantain my opinion. I think we had different experiences, maybe different levels. I can’t find any archers that think its viable after the first levels.
That’s fine, we will have more time to play, will see more archers, more swords and whatelse. I hope kneeling shot proves to be good, because I actually like it’s concept and I’ve put 5 points on it (the max I could as I went ranger). It helped me in the first levels.

ps. You didn’t play as archer, right?

Swash Buckling was definitely useful, but the downside is if you’re in a crowded area, everyone will come and KS your mobs. Umbo Blow was good for overkill, but it can be hit-or-miss in terms of AOE damage because of damage type differences. I think the AoE from basic attack for melee-type chars were def the best grind tool since you could just bunny hop to dodge most attacks.

1 Like