Tree of Savior Forum

Attribute learning time delay

I believe this mechanic could be twisted around to make a bit more sense AND provide a sense of accomplishment:

• Pay for learning the skill level;
  • Use the skill;
  • After N successful uses (e.g. Plate spec - damage soaked, healing - amount healed), learning is complete. You can now buy the next level.

That would be neat. What if you removed the payment from the process altogether and had individual skill XP? Use Ice Bolt xx times and its attribute would level up (obviously it would be scaled), it would make it more like your character is gaining experience with the skill instead of paying someone to make it stronger :open_mouth:

2 Likes

That sounds even better, I agree!

Not really. I’m personally against instant gratification. I think I value it more if I actually work for it.

1 Like

I don’t mind the 30 minute waits. I can stop in town, sell crap, buy a few enhance and then one 30 minute attribute and head back out to the field. What I really hate are the 4 minute waits, because by the time I’ve started fighting again, I’m back to not training an attribute again and I’m torn between continuing fighting or going back to town to start training another attribute.

So how about this as an idea. You can pay the training to increase your max rank in town, but while you’re in town the rank does not increase. Now you go out to the field and while using type of armor, or using skill, you gain experience that eventually procs the rank up of that attribute, up to the maximum rank that you’ve purchased.

Now you maintain the silver sink while making the time you spend out of the field feel worthwhile instead of penalizing you for not constantly having an attribute in training.

1 Like

It’s likely built this way for future cash shop mechanics – ie buying time boosters to learn attributes faster.

If that is the case then I am fine with it staying the way it is; not game breaking for non-paying players and a nice bonus for those who do.

I am fully for being able to level a skill as you use it, but there’d have to be some sort of limit to it so people dont just stand near a mob spawn point while having a macro running to use the skill every so often in a low level area.

As for skills with multiple attributes, perhaps they’d be more “hidden” and require you to use the skill in a specific way for the attribute to unlock. It would fit the whole exploration thing the game has going too.

For example, Highlander’s Cartar Stroke has the additional knockback attribute, but what if it wasn’t mentioned until you knocked back enemies with it X amount of times? So using it for bossing wouldn’t unlock it, as they can’t be knocked back. Instead, that would build towards unlocking the “No knockback” attribute.

I dislike paying for skill-related things in any game. I much prefer systems where skill upgrades are something you need materials or experience for.

3 Likes

In agreement here. Ice Bolt from Cryromancer has a chance to freeze, and an attribute that increases freeze chance. So maybe it only appears or gains xp after mobs have been successfully frozen many times.

+1

I really like the idea of gaining attribute levels based on how often you use a skill. However, I feel that the attribute system is going to be a good money sink, so I am opposed to removing the silver fee for that reason.

What about if you had to pay silver to ‘unlock’ the attributes, and then the attribute levelled up as you used the skill? Attributes with many levels could allow you to unlock 10 attribute levels at a time.

2 Likes

That definitely seems like a solid idea. It could also be done in the form of Mastery Books (you buy the books to use, that way you don’t have to be in town to unlock your next level) so that there’s still a silver fee and whatnot.

How about this?

Going off of my previous idea, when you “discover” an attribute, you need to tell your class master about your discovery. He will then allow you to train that attribute, for a fee, and you need to pay him every 10 levels you gain in that attribute.

The attack % attributes would be unlocked from the start, and require a fee every 10 levels, with the first 10 being free of charge (that still leaves however many attribute levels till cap / 10 for them to put a silver fee on along with “hidden” attributes)

Edit: They can even capitalize on a system like this by adding cash shop items that increase skill experience gain and reduce training fees, or “Skill Books” that unlock a hidden attribute right away. Quality of life stuff that speeds things up. Cashers love that kind of thing.

3 Likes

I’m in agreement with all that’s said here. :open_mouth:

1 Like

The only real problem is this:

I somewhat agree, but that just brings into question the type of morals that IMC wants to foster from Tree of Savior. We’ve already seen that there isn’t a dedicated moderator online to dish out punishment to those that abuse the shout chat… -shakes head- Any kind of system can be abused, but it’s the ones that keep the majority of players entertained while allowing them to progress that’re the good ones.

Unfortunately bad players with that kind of mindset will always follow the easy, unethical path. But we can always hope that they’ll be shadow-banned and only play with themselves.

1 Like

Or find wandering/extremely rare/seasonal NPCs that’ll teach ‘ultimate’ (e.g. different colors, added effects) versions of certain skills.

And he/she only takes 2-3 apprentices.

Per year. :wink:

While I don’t think the player cap per server should be implemented, some kind of bonus for maxing out attributes on a particular skill would be a bonus for players to look forward too.

I also kind-of wish that IMC would have a big “Attribute Suggestion” topic where players could discuss different attributes they feel certain skills should possess.

All I really want is the ability to learn multiple attributes at once or at the very least queue them.

Maybe they can arrange it so the number of attributes you can learn at once goes up with rank or something but anything would be better than the whole learning one attribute locks you from learning anything else as its quite tedious in my experience.

There is not really any point for having both price and a long wait time. It does not add any difficulty to the game, just annoyance. Really what purpose does it serve? People in this thread already came up with way more appropriate ideas that deny instant gratification, take away annoyance, and add a cool mechanic.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree with you more. I would think that as “Revelators” there’s some divine being within us that allows us to learn quickly if taught properly by a “Master”. It’s starting to get absurd with waiting over 30 minutes to get a +2 damage buff on my Blessing, and this is a HUGE pain point to me as a priest leveling.

1 Like