Tree of Savior Forum

Are we getting fewer players?

I am an old player who is kinda of returning now. I will expose some of the reasons that make someone like me, who love Tree of Savior for what only such a game can be, to leave months in the past.

One of the reasons I stopped was because I could not see very well how I could build my character. This part specifically is actually being solved with the latest changes, I would say that the main reason for my return would be that they plan to remove transcedence on PVP and for changes on Swordsman plus Rank 10, which will make the combination Fencer3Matador2 possible and give some potential to my plans.

The other reason would be the grind on ToS. I love grind, I was always addicted to things like Etrian Odyssey, Dark Souls and also play some FateGO, which is grindy in its own way. But I have some problems with how it works in this game.

I hate with a passion the limitations on some things like dungeon entry. I never really understood why you can’t grind at your own pace for shards or mats.

The only reason that comes to mind would be to sell Tokens, but even that would not make sense, because the token doesn’t actually make a difference on that matter. If at least the Token had a pay to play experience, like in WoW where you can pretty much grind all day long for whatever you want, things would be understandable (and I would buy the Token more times as well).

IMC made that commercial on japan with the slang “An RPG that is like an RPG” but the truth is that the most important part of that >RPG< genre that they refer is not actually good. I don’t think lots of layers of RNG are bad, the bad is make those layers of grind and at the same time limit how many times you can repeat it, because the only way to fight probability is creating more and more variables.

6 Likes

It’s not like these continuous and obsessive threads are keeping potential new players away since 2016 and annoying the core player base away, nooo.

2 Likes

I think tos can be competitive to other mmorpgs but it has strengths and weaknesses like anything else…

I think tos great side is customizability of builds and anime look which is cute

They should capitalize on those strengths

:grinning:

We still “complain” because we still play the game somehow and in hopes of it getting better. But of course, you and I also dont know how much the game us losing in terms of players that just suddenly stop playing

kinda weird but the game is growing

2 Likes

I wasnt aware of that… Good on you…

Welcome to streamlining. When are we going to reach that sweet tasty carrot? Who knows!

That’s strange. Doom posting (aka, bad/false/exaggerated complaints and etc) has a heavy opposite effect.

1 Like

Clearly

But maybe you mean it’s growing because IMC keeps adding “content”?
In this case you are right, the game content is growing.
Too bad this content is useless in making the population grow.

2 Likes

Another event that benefits those with multiple Steam/TOS accounts will solve any population problem. :wink:

1 Like

To be honest the numbers are quite stable considering they’re banning more bots now.

In practice I’ve been seeing more people coming back to the game as well.

One thing we almost haven’t been getting are too many new players though.

Also, most people who use “alts” doesn’t have them logged all the time and that chart counts CCU (accounts online at same time) so I doubt those people with many alts makes any real difference, they don’t login not even 3+ at once.

11 Likes

I respect your opinion. But let me remind you that this game is free to play. This game does not survive on occassional influx of new/returning players who try updates every now and then. Any mmorpg survives by retaining the players and giving them a reason to spend money on it to maintain running costs.

This is not “doomposting” in my opinion… This is coming from someone who used to buy TP before. I am more than happy to spend my money somewhere else if ToS doesn’t offer anything worth for me.

2 Likes

And this is happening:

Despite IMC using their ban hammer more since last months we’re still at stable numbers.

I meant these:

Not sure if it fits when you “complain” though.

But I answered considering the context Amber_Rei said: that doom posting definitely have the effect of pushing players away and not making the game better. Which then you replied “we still complain in the hope of it getting better”…

The matter is, let’s imagine I’m browsing the internet looking for a time waster game to immerse myself in. Would I play ToS after reading all the players complaining out and about?

4 Likes

Okay, I lost track of the discussion sorta. My bad :slight_smile:

When does ToS have the highest peaks of players lately? when they give rank resets on events…
You have almost 100 classes to choose and probably 1000+ ways to screw up your build
If u waste points on attributes, u can’t retrieve those points to use them on other attritube (unless there is another event)

Conclussion: Make Rank Reset an IN GAME thing, let people play the experimenting game, create even more synergy and hidden interaction between classes, bring the game back to life…

Oh yeah also balance the ■■■■ out of the broke TBL P2W system and fix the god damn Enhacement cap and turn it into a fixed +15 value as max (ofc increasing the difficulty to get to +15). Lowering the overall damage cap will make the game more challenging and enjoyable, people will long for parties instead of just having some whales carring randoms or their entire guild. It will make people share their boss cards summons, etc etc etc and FUN

And imo, we should have way more towns to chill at, making it cheaper to teleport from town to town but a bit more expensive to port to HG or non-town maps.

SET A QUEST LINE FOR EACH CLASS TREE, kinda like Maplestory or old RO, make the first steps of the first 4 main branches to be enjoyable and not something u will repeat with each char despite the class. Reduce the ammount of quests and give better rewards since just dungeoning and doing some HG map is way faster than following the damn quest line

Last idea but would require a lot of work and planning: REALM WARS ORSHA VS KLAIPEDA
Rethink the start point idea, give players the chance to stay neutral but for those who want war and constant PK open world (map*) pvp, will have an increased drop/silver/exp rate on disputed maps
Of Course we’d still keep neutral maps of common grinding (the popular ones past Fedimian idk like HG maps, CM maps, event maps, etc)

Also something that bugged me about how ToS deals with pvp damage… do they have an special formula for players or they just expect that the same formula from fighting mobs, applies to other players? When i player Continent of the Ninth, they made a HUGE improvement on the balance pvp when they made the skills to work differently on players, like a modified formula u could see by clicking End Key ( changes goin from stuff like damage to modified DoT duration) when checking the skills details and damn, made things go smooth (ofc until they ruined it 2 years later by making the game extremely p2w, not as much as ToS ofc but still too much to handle for a pvp focused game)

Well those are my 2 cents, wonder if someone from the @Staff will ever read that

1 Like

But the point of doing this in events is to pick up returning players when there’s some sort of new content, if you leave it as in-game feature you lose the “I’ll go back for Reset Event and keep playing the new content” effect. :<

I didn’t say it would be easy to get em image

Also they lose more players due failbuilds (since they lose both casuals and average players)

And i’d be willing to do some extensive quests (kinda like practo) to get rank resets in order to test everything i have in mind <3

2 Likes

That’s only because the balancing is bad. They have the ability to make Classes more viable easily with the introduction of new attributes and more skill synergies/hidden mechanics with the lower ranked Classes.

That’s actually the easiest thing to do compared to reworking Classes and skills every 6-12 months with huge updates.
I’m wondering why not all Classes and Class Circles have Class attributes. That would be the easiest and most balancing point to start making underdog Classes more viable. Every Class should have 1 Class attribute per Class Circle that reflects the role the Class is supposed to fulfill in the eyes of the developers.

This should be the starting point for overall balance to set the direction the Class is supposed to be headed into.

By the way, the game requires at least 12 or 13 Ranks to open up build options to the player. With the current number of Ranks, the options are too limited to experiment with anything as the endgame content requires at least one Rank 7 or Rank 8 Class at Circle 2/3 (there are exemptions like broken Falconer/Doppelsoeldner who are too strong for their respective Ranks for no reason).

This means that at the current tempo, it will take at least until 2020 to make the game “good” within its own system.

1 Like