Tree of Savior Forum

Advancement / Promotion is Underwhelming

My main issue with this game is that advancement / promotion is underwhelming. I advanced to rank 2 / 3 on several characters, trying out different classes. Not once when I advanced did I feel empowered, it was more or less disappointing every time.

In RO when you advanced, you had to work for it. Like the thief class quest, where you had to go into the pyramid. That was tough as a low level novice! It took some time! But it was memorable. In this game, you go talk to an npc and kill some trivial mobs and that’s it.

Then, when you become your new class, you don’t have enough skill points to do anything. And I think this is a crucial problem: it takes forever to grind out skill points on your new class. It’s not like RO, where when you promote you could kill one monster and get like 5 skill points really fast. The lower job levels in RO were easy to grind, so you could get your first skill points really fast.

In this game, each time I advanced, I was excited for a few seconds when I put the costume on, and then I was like… meh, now I have to grind for 5 hours to even try this class out. Pyromancer was so underwhelming and disappointing I straight up deleted my character. When you promote into a class and your new skills are worse than your old skills, it’s kind of discouraging. Barbarian didn’t seem like much of a jump up from Highlander (although the XP rates were so slow I didnt get a proper chance to try barbarian out).

Granted it only takes an hour or so to get to class level 15 and promote, but I mean people play games and they want to feel rewarded and powerful when they promote to a better class. It should be a boost of power right when you promote. When I promoted, nothing really seemed different. I had a different costume and that was it.

TL;DR: Make players feel powerful when they promote, make it easy to gain the first 5 skill points after you promote. Advancement / promotion is REALLY underwhelming.