Tree of Savior Forum

500+ levels is too many for a game with no level sync option! How can we play with new friends?

Here’s the scenario: I’m level 550 or some ridiculous number, and I’ve still got another 50 to go. It took me six months of regular grinding to get that far, and the idea of rolling another character makes me want to go outside. Forever.

So I talk a friend into playing the game, and they want to play with me. What the hell do I tell them? “Sure, see you in six months”?? No, wait, I might be 600 by then. We’ll make that seven months.

Pre-renewal RO, a game about leveling until your fingers were bandaged stumps, never had the problem ToS is about to be crippled by, for a multitude of reasons:

• Character level stopped at 99, so the relative party range was far wider, proportionately
  • You spent most of that leveling period going from 80-99, so your friend could drag their butt into your level range in a couple weeks, concievably, as getting to 80 wasn’t too hard
  • You got full experience from any monster, and
  • When you transed your character level reset, creating a “window” to play with your friend that, when carefully managed, could give you a lot of time to level with a newbie character

In short, Tree of Savior will be completely unable to draw in players who get initially interested in a game because their friends are playing. Take a step back and think about how many MMOs you, the reader, personally gave some time and/or money because your friends had already been playing and liked the game in question. Now imagine never being able to catch them, or play with them, for a many month grind, unless they stop their main characters and level alts they didn’t even want to play.

The only feasible way to play this game with a friend, as things are now, is to shackle your character to theirs, only playing at the exact same times, thereby letting the person with the least time to play dictate the leveling pace.

There are three solutions to this: (EDITED FOR CRYSTAL CLARITY)

1. Remove all level range restrictions on both parties and monsters, and say hello to Powerlevel of Savior. (THIS IS A BAD IDEA. It was included as kind of a joke.)
  2. Allow the high level player to sync their level, stats, circles and available abilities down to their friend’s level, and allow exp gain as normal for both players. FFXIV style level sync. This is wonderful. (I REPEAT: ALLOW EXP GAIN FOR BOTH PLAYERS. As in, you will level from 550 to 551 by the time your friend goes from 1 to 30 or whatever.)
  3. Allow the low level player to be artificially lifted to the high level player’s level, with scaling temporary stats but without new circles or abilities, aka sidekick system from that one.

If nothing is done, the game will suffer greatly. The barrier of entry to new players wishing to enjoy the game with their friends will be insurmountable. It will be a sheer cliff of a height this genre has never seen before. It will hamstring Tree of Savior in an unavoidable and terrible way.

Preemptive response to babbies who don’t think there’s a problem because they didn’t personally experience it during a closed beta cycle: The level cap is level 200 and it’s triple exp, genius. Also, everyone started together. This problem is something that will only spring horribly into being in the retail version.

64 Likes

I agree with your point. I never have any chance to play with my friend that started a week earlier or later than me.

7 Likes

Level sync is a nice option. However, that would be down the road, I think there are far many more pressing issues they have at hand ATM

Very good point (I fell that problem in CBT2),

1 Like

Well you can actually hope for it after the big Patch on 3rd Dez i believe IMC can do everything.

1 Like

Very true, you can’t imagine my WTH face when I first heard about ToS and I read somewhere in the forums that the level cap is 600… LOL

This is badly needed. I can definitely relate to this because I am a hardcore gamer myself and very few of my friends can keep up with my pace.

Absolutely true, an issue pointed out numerous times. Doubt however that IMC is capable to solve this matter, the game is already designed to be a “solo” grindfest till the cap.

And you are right, there is no way i make another character and spen 1 year to get to 600 again. Doubt this game will fly well here in the west with these mechanics.

Ikr. But i kinda likes this… I mean… If I reached this level and enjoying the game, he can do the same as well. And i think on live there will be guilds or anything like that or u can also do voicechat and talk while playing. Yeah, ofc it’s not a level sync, but works pretty well for most of the games with no game sync lol. Could be a feature to work on future, but i think there’s a lot of things to work on first. Good post, i liked! :smile:

1 could work only if monster exp scaled. Or else right now, I would still be at tenet chapel 2f or constructor’s chapel

keep it short like RO 99 lv but with 1000x exp table of RO :joy:

It actually shouldn’t be that hard for a first solution.
This is the moment the linear scaling really shines!

One could make it like this: If there are people in a party with a large level gap and the higher one joins the low level one then on the same map the high one gets tuned down everything accordingly. For example:
Level 50 and Level 500 and the 500 guy gets everything diveded by 10. Stats, Damage, HP, SP.
This is something which could be tested as the game is still in the beta and see how it goes.

I agree BUT actually in Ragnarok works differently. Party can’t share exp if there were more than 10 lvl between the lowest and the higher lvl in the same party. Usually people made 2 party, one team with a tanker or an healer and the other one with a “slave team”, or more complex party with bard and dancer in biolab. As u said lvl cap was 99 prerenewal that means u can go to biolab from lvl 83 to 99.

I don’t like exp reduction because that means that EVERYONE will exp in the same map according with his lvl, lowering the exp/h and make all channel busy. With weapon reduction as an archer i prefer farm in maps with flying monster but i can’t. The market sucks as well because from lvl from 160 to 170 everyone exp in demon prison, so we can find 1,000,000 recipes of skirmish set and 0 maker bow because nobody exp in maps like baron allerno. In the same maps we can find at least ONE TYPE of flying monster for archer class, in low %, a pain for archers and a pain for clerics that can’t hit them with ground skills.

2 Likes

I don’t understand the exp reduction philosophy, is because the bots? Believe me but i see more bots here than in RO, in RO bots were used for dropping card not for exping, only in zenorc map was full of afk alche, but GM knows were bots can “bot” so they banned them 90% of the time.

1 Like

You have a point about the level range being a problem, HOWEVER, ALL THE SOLUTIONS YOU PROPOSED ARE BAD. Sync/Insta levels would obviously be offered by cash shop and make the game P2W. Also players would “sell” this boost service for money, ruining the game economy. It’s fun to create new chars to start over with friends, also by lvl 550 you will be tired of your class/char and even with no friends you’ll want to reroll, i assure you that.

3 Likes

It would be fun if it was like GW2 and have your level being downgraded to a particular level - IE. the partymate’s, in order for you to level together with them.

Of course, your skills and equips would have their damage and efficience highly reduced in order to be in sync with a lowbie’s, and you would get no exp at all from that. It would be purely for enjoying the game with your friend and such.

1 Like

Not agreed, if you want play with a new friend make a new caracter then you’ll help him better in the game progression and he will have the time to discovers the game better than a powerlvling where you do absolutly nothing.
The reroll is the answer

The only thing i need in this game is the shinobi class. Kage bushin no justu and stuff :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Unfortunately, power leveling is what is being avoided by the devs of TOS if you guys hadn’t notice.

Nothing here suggests that powerleveling is being sought after. Instead of criticizing, you guys should offer alternative solutions to a serious problem.

I totally agree with this post, IMC should really look for a soultion for this issue.