Tree of Savior Forum

ToS (Social Interaction) as MMO or MOBA/Co-op?

We are here waiting for a mmorpg, not a moba. Everyone want ToS to be more like X game that already exist (being Ro or being MOBAs). News flash, ToS is ToS, not your other favorite game. If you want to play MOBAs go to dota2, hon, lol or hots. If you want Ro seriusly go to Ro, it’s still alive.

And no, an mmorpg can have a lot of PvP content, but it’ll not turn it into a MOBA.

It can have moba like pvp mode as all the classes in this game are classified as dps,tnk or suport.
Dragon nest is a mmorpg that have a moba like pvp mode.
I dont understand why people like youvare so hateing on MORE things for the game.
As for “its not ro” it is ro 2.

@pascalguenzler MMO

but one of the things that I feel like we’ve potentially lost sight of, and it’s my fault, more than anyone else’s – is the social world aspect of an MMO. Because we’ve made great strides in giving you more personal, meaningful stories to your character, but whenever you do something like that, in the manner that we do things like that, you risk removing the player from the social world.

WOW - Creative director words. ( I know is another game but is the big one and the people are losing what an MMO should be )

@Eretnys
Social interaction cannot be expected to result on its own just because people are involved.
Social interaction is the unique feature that differentiates MMORPGs from single player RPGs as social interaction is impossible in a single-player RPG.
The older MMORPGS were much difficult to survive in and therefore they were more social as a result.

The impacts of social interactions in MMORPGs on older adults

Please, undestand the point of this post. I only wanted to debate current and future the social features on ToS.

[quote=“Arukado, post:19, topic:39788”]
How to manage the char level? The stuff? The roles? Adding monsters wave, what’s the purpose? …But why not after all… If IMC has a great new PvP, we’ll see.
[/quote]Doesn’t need to be a “traditional MOBA”.

Elsword’s Ereda Island system is like a MOBA, but both teams don’t interact with each other, it’s a race to see who destroy the objectives first.
Not all MOBA has minions, or equipments, or levels…

I think what most people want by saying MOBA is a PvP objective centric, rather than just an arena (both are fine by me).

Some might not agree with me, but I would say RO WoE can be related to a MOBA style, even tho kind of one sided, since the winning factor can be achieved even without killing a single player (but it helps anyways).

In fact it would be RO4 as we have two RO2.

It’s not that we hate new stuffs on the game, but i don’t like the idea of turning ToS in other thing that already exist and is, in fact, on other whole genre. I remember some pvp vids of DN and i see PvP content, still no moba, unless you have to actually defend an ancient (you should also note that right now the name “moba” is just another way to call any defense of the ancient game, not the actual name: multiplayer online battles arena).

Of course a full MOBA is out of subject, we’re in a MMORPG.
That’s why I also mentioned a lighter version (means can fit as a “PvP solution”), even if I’ve got no idea of a “suitable MOBA-like feature”.

curious… Can you explain what the Elsword’s Ereda Island is? Just tell me why it can be a suitable version inside ToS…

If you’re just looking for “PvP/GvG options”, then you can add every modes of online games for solution: a capture the flag mode, a labyrinth mode, a Dungeon Defenders-like, an obstacle course, etc…

Basically, MOBA is pretty much destroying the opponents base while leveling up with monster waves, obtain gold from them or from killing the enemies. Things like that and it’s not really suitable to be implemented inside a MMORPG genre.

However, if you’re thinking some kind of battle arena (not MOBA) with objectives such as capturing a checkpoint, it may be a good idea since few MMO’s have done the same. I can’t remember the name of this one game as it was from years ago, already shut down I believe. They have this 10 vs 10 arena where players must capture the opposite team flags as much as they can in a given time. Holding the flag cuts your speed down like a lot and your team must protect you until you can get the flag safely to your base. There are other modes such as checkpoint capture, death match etc. but I don’t play it much.

[quote=“Arukado, post:28, topic:39788”]
curious… Can you explain what the Elsword’s Ereda Island is? Just tell me why it can be a suitable version inside ToS…
[/quote]It’s a “4v4” where you keep your normal level and equips, but special effects are disabled and stats are balaced.
You have to clear the room to move foward. The first room you need to destroy a seal, a boss and then another random monster objective. After the first room there are 2 random jump phases and 1 random monster (a boss or several normal monsters) rooms to clear.
Finally you reach the last room with some more monsters, a “boss” and the final tower/core you have to destroy.
Oh, and every time you reach a new room you can chose to “upgrade” you character damage+ crit, skill level or MP regen.

Here a video to give you an idea:

It’s pretty fun. You get rewards at the end of this mode that can be exchanged for accessories with good effects, itens that help upgrading equipments and some other stuff.

I actually love the normal PvP arena from Elsword more than Ereda, it’s really dynamic and skilled… except that the developers are shitheads and now it’s super pay2win. :frowning:
(So much that I will probably never play it again after ToS release, unless they fix their mess).

What is grinding in order to win a Castle, is the same but slowly? o.O

Here’s a quote from wikipedia about MOBA:

There are two opposing teams whose goal collectively as a team is generally to destroy their enemy’s base to win, though some games have the option of different victory conditions. Typically, there is one main structure which must be destroyed to win, though destroying other structures within the opposing team’s base may confer other benefits. Defensive structures are in place to prevent this, as well as relatively weak computer-controlled units which periodically spawn at each base and travel down predefined paths toward the opposing team’s base. There are typically 3 “lanes” that are the main ways of getting from one base to another. There are also specific type of roles, the names of which vary from game to game (typically a damage role, a support role, and a tanking role).

Heck I’m not even sure if the term MOBA fits into this since it’s always sticks to DoTA 2/LoL mechanics. Doing the same to ToS might not be the best idea but as I mentioned earlier, there’s the battle arena mode in few MMO’s such as the flag capture, point capture, death match etc. To me, it fits quite nicely into the MMO genre. Of course without the monster waves, without the gold, power ups and such like you’ve seen in MOBAs, mostly it’s just your team vs another while trying to complete the objectives.

Not sure if I’m not making myself clear over that point.

Seems great! And +/- applyable for ToS. Especially the jumping phase, it can be tricky. :+1:

Speaking of jumping, the ability to jump was also supposed to be a way to reach hidden chest, a platforming feature. I hope it will still be the case.

When i say moba i say a map that have 2 temes of 5 people.each team have half of the map.the map have 2 or 3 lsnes.in each lane the teams have 1 or 2 torets.at the and of the lanes there the base of each team.there some random monster on the map thst give something if you kill them.and i think you know how 2 win.

Question! In your opinion, what is better, solo lvling or Party lvling? (thinking on how fast you can grind and stuff)

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote=“FreeMan, post:20, topic:39788”]
Seriously? If you put 200 people alone in a empty room, they will socialize how they want until they get bored. Then what?..
[/quote]Just because you put a board game in front of two people does not mean that they will be willing to play it. It is the same with social interaction; putting 200 people in the same room does not mean that they will be willing to socialize with each other.

This quote from your own article also explains this. And If someone personally prefers not to interact with others, what makes you expect that they will be more likely to do so if a new social feature/tool is implemented?

[quote=“FreeMan, post:20, topic:39788”]
They can chose, but what they can chose on ToS? I mean what tools do we have?
[/quote]A “tool” does not necessarily drive socialization. The community does. There will always be those who prefer to cooperate in parties, but there are also those who will prefer to do things solo. You can’t change that, with or without mechanics.

Sure it is possible to increase potential for interactions within the game, but once again, it all comes down to the players themselves, and whether they would choose to initiate an interaction or not. Allowing one the freedom and comfort to socialize on their own accord is the best possible approach, as genuine social interactions are formed naturally, whereas a forced interaction due to an incentive can only remain superficial.

Isn’t guild wars, like woe, pretty much a moba? I’d be totally fine with that.

If there is a MOBA which 2 alliances with 3 guilds each(70+ players per guild) fight over a castle, sign me in.

Yup, i’m not talking about to force people to socialize in order to advance on the game (or maybe just a little). Just giving them an option to do other kind of things and that doesn’t mean that you have to stablish a relationship with them, just an interaction that involve 2 or more players.

Sure, that’s the reason of my post. If you put 5000 people on the server and less things to do together or lack of social interaction systems, can you expect more or less socialization? That’s my point.

I don’t know, for example: facebook exists and can be called a social interaction tool and some people don’t like it (included me). But that doesn’t make us anti-social.

Of course, following freedom and comfort.

I think that the reason why doesn’t exist a MOBA with 300+ people per match is organization. Imagine the match with trolls, feeders, afk, etc… a whole disaster. And also is very expensive and hard to programing. Don’t forget about hardware limitations (yours i mean), your PC will be able to handle big map and 300+ people casting and hitting?

Well, that was pure especulation. I’m not sure about the real reason.

You can do that on a FPS or a game like mount and blade.

@Anasu Honestly depends on a couple things:

1. Your class + skill choices.
  2. Your current level (some level ranges, it can be more efficient to solo if you want, though partying won’t really slow you down too much).
  3. The weapons you have available.
  4. The map/monsters you choose to level on, different classes can kill different monsters much faster than others.

You may find that at different level ranges, soloing may be better than partying or vice versa. But you can do either if you want, without slowing down too much.

1 Like