Tree of Savior Forum

The Peltasta's Status Quo

No, but it still has its uses especially in high-level party content (e.g. ET, Solmiki). The perma-aggro quest bug alone won’t cut it.

Guardian has been improved recently (IIRC it was implemented on iTOS already) in that the pAtk reduc has been reduced to an acceptable rate. The evasion attribute alone makes your build a pseudo-archer in terms of evasion, and the def boost is always nice.

Yes, but the point of my argument is that, if you’re not using a shield (and for a DPS this is pretty common, a cleric already makes you safe enough) then you’re investing 1 rank only for a buff, as the taunt is not a must. And with the premise that it is not a must, then it makes possible the existence of alternatives. What would they be?

Yeah, the time I stopped this Guardian balance was already applied and was really welcomed. Now the question is 18% evasion really the only option?

Considering a PVE scenario, where a Corsair isn’t THAT needed, a 2 rank investment in anything else could be better than 18% evasion.

(Also, it was that topic, the USB one, that made me create this thread xD so yeah, I already read that.)

EDIT.: One thing I can add is that there are people, mostly casual players like me who hates to keep track of million of buffs and would rather invest more points in active skills (because in the heat of battle, a casual player just smash buttons). This point here is just for public service as it should be obvious that this play style is not optimal.

I’m not trying to exclude peltasta as an option, I’m trying to be certain if there is still no alternatives for other play styles.

If usefulness in party then yes,it’s an unquestionable advantage to have a pel circle. I still see most of the time shout parties looking for “Pelt” haven’t seen shouts looking for “Swordsman/warrior class” for a while now.

No. The reason why Peltasta was needed back then was because Swordsmen weren’t very strong, and they needed to offset that with utility. Now that Swordsmen are very strong, they have become accepted as DPS but Peltasta hasn’t lost its usefulness. Pelts are still in high demand for grinding and still make dungeon runs a lot faster.

Fencer more than makes up for all your button smashing needs

2 Likes

I agree, for that matter, there should be still pelt based builds. But do you understand my perspective? If I already have a peltasta friend and sometimes they are even more better prepared for tanking, after all, I’m a DPS, then I have the possibility of doing something else (also, when you have a DPS and Tank peltastas on the same team, often it is better that only the tank one taunts.)

Although I did a Fencer back then because I love Fencing, I can’t deny that this class fit me perfectly (though I would prefer something like murmillo helmet effect on my rapier, but oh well.)

+1 for fencer button smashing, and IMO going fencer 3 gives you flexibility on your lower ranks. Heck, I even went pelt3cors1fencer3 :slight_smile: still has much to learn and improve on my skill rotation (just realized earlier that umbo blow has stun and thrust has armor break hue).

I feel like peltasta is solid, but may need a slight buff.

I got pelt in my build, and yes, many times I have weighed the pro/con of taking it out of my build, but in the end, PELT makes my build more FUN for me, so that’s what matters. And I have ways of using it in PvP so it doesn’t become a deadweight circle.

2 Likes

Your recent reply also pop’d in my mind, I was guessing you’ll reply with that scenario. The question is your friends availability or other pelt’s availability and team composition, do you really need two swordie?. So is your question in general? in solo mode? in party mode?

Yeah and I still think a swords/melee without provoke is a lil off (since I’m a farmer/PVE player). Less time is needed to gather mobs if you have pel1 and I think it’s undermined at the moment: when you swash the mob (especially non aggro) they will gather close to you thus you will input dmg faster than manually hitting the mobs to get their aggro before doing the damage. Not sure how high will be the “damage per second” difference is, but I favor pressing 1 button and hitting the mob as they are closing in.

2 Likes

Well, considering that the condition of me stopping playing and the returning was the party presence factor, that is, I stopped because I discovered that Fencer needs a party (of course, a hardcore investment can make a solo one, but that is not the case). So yeah, we’re talking party only (mainly questing and occasional instanced missions/hunting grounds).

Well yeah, but when I have both a Pelt3 and a Cryo in my party, my little Swash lv5 kinda do nothing, don’t ya think?

And if the focus is farming, frankly, I would leave it for other characters like my PeltHop3, which I use a shield with.

You have to look at the circle as a whole to appreciate it.

I think people go for the Sw3 Pel Sair Fencer3 build because of its well-roundedness. Besides clerics, there not a lot of builds in other classes that can cover almost if not all kinds of content in the game.

Regarding buffs, there’s really not a lot that you get from this build. To list:

1. P. Barrier
  2. Concentrate
  3. Gung Ho / Guardian
  4. (Situational) Swashbuckling for HP boost
  5. E. Garde

Just 4 really if you don’t include SB, and most of these last for more than 30 secs before needing a recast.

If I am to consider other alternatives - there’s Hop2 which gives Spear Lunge and Long Stride (there’s a Youtube video of one player rocking this build) but the switching is a PIA especially for low-ping players and the Medium-sized Hunter class attribute is limited to 1h spears. This also gives up the PVP utility of Corsair for you.

There’s Barb2 (PVE) and Rod2 (PVP), but you give up the well-roundedness of the original build and ends up being focused on either. Then there’s also the problem of having excess skills in the rotation. As @tampon and @redisdarkisred said, Flan or Composee becomes your default filler.

I’ve never met a Sw3 Pel1 Sair1 Fencer3 who has regretted their build. I’m even looking to build one when I feel like getting back to the game.

1 Like

Since you mentioned these three: mainly questing and occasional instanced missions/hunting grounds, as a farmer, yes , pel1 will be a great advantage. It’s usually a notion that swash is only for partying but the logic of having a 1 hit button skill to attract and deal damage to the mobs immediately “can” output “higher overall damage/second” than chasing mobs 1 by 1 to get aggro prior dealing the damage via your aoe skills unless you want/prefer/it is faster to kill mobs 1 by 1 then scrap my logic.

If you want non pelt Fencer there’s always the meta Sw3-x-x-Fencer3 build. I’m not sure about HL, but barb2/3 seems okayish too.

You may want to refer on this thread: Guide to Fencer / Doppel [PVE]

by the way @migliole Welcome back! lol XD

1 Like

But one could value those alternatives (Barb, Hop,etc) as fast leveling options (considering a casual player that might stop after some time) over 18% evasion.

Also, I prefer swapping than buffs. Yes right, it is only 4, but swapping is only one button, not 4. Of course it is a matter of preference, but my point is, there are people who have nice ping and would prefer a simplified gameplay, the ones who play MOBA and alikes understand my point. Taking more actives is actually better for those people, believe me.

I have one and do not regret it. Just studying on the matter.

I actually have some history on that thread myself, and look the irony, defended the Sw3>Pelt formation there (kek).

Also, because of that, I already know what each combination on the pre-Fencer gives, so don’t worry about that.

You all already answered well and my conclusion is that if you’re a DPS and already have nice CC and aggro controllers on your daily friend list, focus on the DPS.
Of course, if you’re a forever alone or just want some bread and butter, take Peltasta. Actually, as a solo Fencer veteran, I don’t recommend Fencer for soloing. Go make a Hoplite (which has perfect synergy with Peltasta) or Chaplain, in the case of you wanting melee gameplay only.

1 Like

i’ve got sw3 pel hop fencer

i’m already addict to stabbing due bigger hitbox

i love how restrain+prep+stabbing do

it’s save me from mana drained

attribute cost is very cheap, i keep using stabbing over sept till the day i have more silver to invest

i played sw3 barb cor before sw3 pel hop

and i’m stuck at cor1 lol…

Someone has a good build of squire 3? I mean squire 3 does not leave much space in the build, a pre murmilo peltasta must be very difficult to level, But a highlander is left without what to pick up on the r8 …

pel3 is easiest

swash buckling then hold c botton

You want a squire only for opening a shop?

If yes, choose what is faster.

If you happen to want to party support, take everything that makes you have more tankiness and CC. An example can be Sw>Pelt3>Squi3>Murmillo (or anything that adds some CC)

That hasnt worked since since r8 lol

1 Like

it’s still work here

even better since r8 aoe is stronger than lower rank

stack 30mob > pd kill them all in 1 rotation