Tree of Savior Forum

Peltasta C2 or C3 for tank build?

Hello guys, i started playing ToS with friends and i decided to be the tank of the group, so i read guides and saw that Peltasta it´s really good because of the taunt.
Now, i have a few question:

1. Should i go for Peltasta C3 for the maximum quantity of mobs? (Im going to play ALWAYS in party)
  2. After Peltasta (Regardless C2 or C3), what class should i choose to keep tanking focusing on the late game? Hoplite? Or what?
  3. Whichs skills should i maximize on Peltasta? (Without counting Swash Buckling)

Ty very much for the time and the help that you can give me, have a good day.

P.D: Im doing an almost full CON build.

C2 is perfect if you want High Guard for the blocking, and if you plan to tank hard then max that at C2. C3 is really good for Umbro Thrust, but other than the only real reason to get C3 is to improve your attacking skills. Swashbuckling lvl 10 already pulls in a lot of mobs, so getting armor break is about the only real justification to get C3 for tanking.
After peltasta, hoplite can tank since Finestra does boost your blocking. Other than that, it’s mainly an offensive class so I don’t know if that’s what you’re looking for. Alternatively, Cataphract is a good choice for kiting with mobility as well as having some CC. Rodelero can inflict a lot of status, though a few don’t work on bosses unfortunately. Finally, Squire can help CC with Arrest as well as provide support for your party’s equips. Peltasta is technically the only tanking class atm, so anything beyond that is all preference in playstyle.
Max Umbo Blow for sure. It gets bonus damage after a successful block and can actually kill quite well. Never get guardian, the defense boost is too minimal for such a drastic drop in attack. Rim Blow should only be maxed if you have a Cryo or Ele in your party, otherwise leave it at 6 for the High Guard bonus. High Guard can be maxed for tanking, otherwise I personally would leave it at 3 for the attribute. If you go C3, max Umbro Thrust for the damage. I don’t know how Langhort works, so we’re both in the dark about that.
I played Peltasta up to C3 in ICBT2, so hopefully my information is still relevant.

Does umbo thrust work on bosses? and how much butterfly and high guard would you get?

The “tank” dilemma

Every Swordsman is a tank. It doesn’t matter what class you choose, by simply being a Swordsman you are naturally a tank.

You don’t need to be a Peltasta C3 or a Rodelero C3 to be a tank.
This is mostly because Swordsman gets as much as up to 3 times the amount of HP other classes get.

However, this game is unlike others where the role of a “tank” is heavily enforced and it is a requirement for clearing content.

There is no real “tank” role in this game. The only responsibility of a “tank” in Tree of Savior is to get and keep aggro on mobs, as well as deal as much damage as possible.

Some party compositions are even able to get by without using a “tank” for their dungeon runs.

Tree of Savior is a game where dealing the most damage as possible is the most efficient way to get through content. Because of this, every person in a party is responsible for bringing some sort of damage to help clear mobs and bosses faster.

Also, the protection for a “tank” doesn’t come from the Swordsman tree, it comes from other classes on the Cleric tree.

The Swordsman’s job is only to get aggro, and the Cleric will provide all the protection for the party.

As a final, personal, note: You might see videos of people using Swash Buckling to aggro mobs, then just stand there pressing C (Blocking) all the time to “tank” the damage.

This is highly unnecessary and in my opinion you are just wasting your party’s time. Just taunt and help clear the mobs faster. There is no need to do this at all.

Of course, I am not saying that you should blindly charge into the mobs every time, just be smart about it and when the situation is under control just deal damage instead.

That is a quote from a big swordsman guide here in the forums

Guide Here

Umbro thrust works on bosses. Depending on how much damage you intend to do, I’d put only 3 points into High Guard to get its attributes for Umbo and Rim Blow.
Again, depending on how much damage you intend to do, it’s either max Butterfly or don’t. Feli linked to Cathexis’s swordsman guide (very insightful reading, be sure to check it out) and it’s true there isn’t a need for a dedicated tank in this game. Still, Peltastas can do very decent damage with smart play and aren’t relegated to standing there and blocking. As long as you actually contribute to damage through smart use of High Guard stance and other skills during its CD, then you’ll find the Peltasta class isn’t exactly a slouch in terms of damage.

What I’m thinking is max umbo, sw, 1 in guard, 3 high guard, 5 butterfly, 1 into umbo thrust, and max langort.

But that depends on how much damage langort and butterfly does =\ Also how does the passive on high guard works? I’m really confused by the description.

I’ll start with High Guard, as that’s the most technical aspect:
High Guard halves your damage for its duration. With the attribute, Umbo and Rim get a base 250% damage bonus while HG is active. These effects are cumulative, and you’ll be doing 125% more damage with those skills specifically (the attributes are applied to Umbo and Rim, with the prereq lvl being 6 to those skills). My math may be off here, but generally speaking your damage will be higher when using those skills.
Butterfly hits 3 times, though at least in iCBT the damage was also divided by 3 for each of those hits so it was pretty weak. I don’t know if this was a bug with damage calculations, but the extra damage because of the calculations was basically 3x your basic attacks. Hopefully this was changed, but back in ICBT2 the damage was underwhelming but it still helped contribute to DPS since it has a fairly low 22s cd.
Umbro Thrust deceptively powerful because the armor break is calculated for its own hit, and so the hit you do with Umbro Thrust will be stronger accordingly. Only use this skill when the enemy’s not armor broken.
Langort was a new skill added to kTOS so I don’t have any information on it.

I’m like suck on what to do for my squire tank, like I’m going squire C3 no matter what and because of that going full tank as you only need peltasta to be good tank and nothing else. So I’m stuck with peltasta C3 or go C2 then pick up cataphract for movement and bonus hp/def from mount.

But I’m thinking the armor break is totally worth it coz would increase boss fight by alot. but then its like what skill to pick up at C3 lol

If you don’t think butterfly may be worth picking up, then maxing High Guard is always an option. You do want Umbo Blow to be maxed, as it will be the bulk of your damage while you’re stuck at pelt. Armor Break is totally worth, as it helps your damage for mobs and then gives a significant damage boost vs bosses.

Well I’m suck with picking up rim blow or get butterfly and/or langort. All depend on how good langort is.

Peltasta C3 Rank 88 here, FULL CON (Swords > Peltasta C3 > Squire C2 > Templar : I’m a guild leader)

I maxed:

Swashbuckler = 21 Mobs is entire screen, on party/dungeons the clear time is awesome.

Langort = The new skill, High Piercing Damage, Has Blind Effect on Attributes.

Umbo Thrust = lvl 1 is enough for the Debuff, but the base damage from lvl 5 is really good, The Def Break is GOD on Bosses.

Butterfly = Just Slash + Strike Damage, for soloing bosses and doing quests.

• Im going to max : High Guard, its a “PANIC BUTTON” against a lot of Physical Damage mobs, I want to test it on PvP but i like to have high block chance + moving (Don’t need to hold C to guard). (Probaly will be a good skill to use on PVP / Wars.

I’ll go have lvl 1 on:
Umbo Blow = Its passive Attributes of Stun and Knockdown is really good.

Rim Blow = Knockback is a good CC to get rid of players/mob from your DPS. Good do Peel.

I was full Tank on Closed Beta and I think that the Peltasta got really buffed into the Open Beta. Keep Going.

So low on Umbo blow? wouldn’t you damage be really bad? Is butterfly better than having higher level umbo blow?

I don’t use Umbo Blow as main damage source. When i need to do Strike damage I use Umbo Thrust and if the mob survive umbo blow 1 is enough to kill.

Butterfly got buffed from Closed Beta, Its base damage is 661 wich is really good.

Just need to adapt the skill rotation Rex.

The low cooldown on umbo blow is good, but i really preffer Thrust and Butterfly

I would max butterfly to use when High Guard is in CD. Max Umbo Blow, because when used properly it can do enough damage to OHKO just about any mob around lvl 90-110 (in my experience). @er_abrantes might know whether Butterfly got better or not, but if you want damage a filler is a filler and you should max it.

I don’t like to use High Guard > Umbo blow combo :frowning:
It get my damage low on other skills, and need 6 points on Umbo Blow to be good :frowning:
Its a situational use of this Combo, Yep it rules but I don’t like to have only “2 skill of high damage” then wait for the High Guard goes down to keep smashing things :stuck_out_tongue:

Both are good, But I like my actual Skill Rotation and don’t feel the need to have this Combo.

The way I played was use High Guard while Butterfly and Umbro thrust were in CD. They have a 22s CD and High Guard’s duration is 30s, so it’s really only 8 seconds where you have low damage skills. So long as you only use your C3 and other class skills during High Guard’s CD, the damage penalty shouldn’t affect anything beyond your auto attacks. That and your C1 skills have a 12s CD with 2 charges each, so you can use them as many as 4 times during HG’s duration.

Yep, This is just vary to player to player but both ways are fine =)

Basically, if you plan on using high guard solely for the blocking, then lvl 6 Umbo and Rim Blow are just fine and you should focus your points toward maxing all the C3 abilities.

1 Like

does Umbo Thrusts debuff duration increases when you level it?

does Umbo Thrusts debuff duration increases when you level it?

No and it’s not a guaranteed debuff either. The skill only has a chance to place the debuff.

Also, when using [High Guard] and you block an enemy, if you have the [High Guard: Umbo Blow Specialty] attribute maxed(350% increase) it’s damage will be over 150% of normal along side if you use [Umbo Blow] immediately before the 3 second stagger debuff expires(that’s enough time for both charges) the skill will do a multi-hit adding on even more damage.