Tree of Savior Forum

[Monk] Alot of contradictions, need some help!

Hi everyone!
My character at the moment is lvl 105 and I had some questions regarding the next steps i’m about to make. I’m not going into the class-build at this point because that opens up a whole other discussion.

My questions are about stats. I hear a lot of different advice being thrown around and I would like to ask for myself.

First I heard STR:2 Con/Dex:1
Also heard STR:2 Dex:1
And I heard STR:2 Con:1

So I really have no idea what I need. At the moment I went with con and Dex the same but I’m considering building up DEX some more.

My stats right now:

STR: 118
CON: 36
DEX: 36

If there is anyone with any experience, or theory’s I would greatly apreciate it!

(I know its early in the game and not alot of ppl are there yet)

One of the most reliable answers I’ve heard is…
DEX is for crits and they’re not clear about the crit formula, and STR has higher reliability past lv200.
CON is just - optional, not required, but good. With no CON at all your HP is pretty pathetic, but we don’t hinge on it, just for survivability.

I’m doing 3:1:1 with no logic behind it - we won’t see much of the effects anyway until late game.

I’m a PvE-centric Cleric 2/Priest 2 toon working towards monk currently using 3:1:0.8 and it’s working pretty well. I boost DEX only when I see myself missing mobs.

The thing is, nobody really has the answer you’re/we’re looking for. We can discuss what’s working for us, but until we get a number of folks well into the higher levels it’s difficult to discuss stat min/maxing or efficiency, particularly since the Class choices each person makes while getting to Monk might be different, and that can potentially influence your stat priorities.

Additionally, the answer may vary for you depending on whether you want to focus more on PvE or PvP.

Yea, there seems to be a lot of opinions, but very little fact/theorycraft to back it up.

I also have heard an argument for DEX based on it being more likely to give Overkills, which supposedly give more XP…but then I heard somewhere that this was changed and Overkills no longer grant increased XP (unconfirmed).

Of course, leveling is only part of the journey, so it seems like a waste to build for something that gives you increased XP when the XP doesn’t matter after you hit max level.

P.s. sorry for adding in more contradictions, but hopefully this thread will lead to some more solid answers once everything’s on the table.

Con helps prevent the occasional dmg spike, which is why i do recommend around 50 con at lvl 200 ish for pve just to be safe.

Otherwise that’s pretty much spot on.
As for the discrepancies:

• Dex was favored in icbt2, till we found out it’s performance is tied your level and likely doesn’t scale all that well beyond 200. But we can’t say for sure without proper testing and/or the crit formula.

• Str is pretty straight forward and simply keeps getting better. But it requires a good amount of skill points to get good to begin with so earlier lvl performance had a lot of people convinced int/str were junk stats.

• Str/Dex mixes in theory gets the best use out of both stats, due to str also giving crit attack. But again it’s difficult to tell what ratio is best due to our lack of knowledge on crits.

I think early on you should add DEX to help with the evasion since STR doesn’t scale so well in the beginning and I heard once you get to 100~150 DEX you can stop and start pumping STR and some CON.
I’m currently 3/7 STR/DEX no CON yet since monster misses alot.

Its true that STR doesn’t add all that much early on. I found myself lacking in dmg ALOT. It’s really hard lvling up with a STR build, but once I passed 100STR it seemd to go much better. My dmg started to pick up and overall it started to go decent. (Still pains me to see Archer/Swordsman classes pass by one-shotting everything)

Thanks for participating in the discussion, it’s helping alot. I’m still not really sure what I want to do, but for now I think i’ll raise my Con and Dex to about 40-50 and keep adding STR untill more things are certain.

STR seems to be the only stat people are sure on, which makes sense!

Also had a question about weapons. At the moment I’m using a Slash weapon. [Kozuka] but is there any difference between a Blunt weapon and a 1h sword? Aside from the obvious stats ofcourse.

Edit: Also saw something about not using a Shield but an offhand weapon instead?

Why not use both? I carry a sword and blunt weapon on me at all times and switch between the two based on what I’m fighting. This can make a huge difference…Alt-Z for the win!

As for off-hand weapons, I’ll use one eventually but I haven’t found one yet. For some reason I was thinking that you didn’t even get the ability to use them until around lvl 120, but I could be way off on that.

http://wiki.tosbase.com/wiki/Damage_Type

Need some of the kToS players to really answer you… There is a lot of end game gear with crit on it. So there was a no-dex stack crit gear camp that sounded fairly compelling. This gets brought up a lot… I’d honestly try and read some of the kToS general discussion since it came up several times there: kTOS General Thread (keep all in-game discussion here)

Perhaps if @fitzfeliz is around he would lay out his argument but you could just check his old posts. And then you could do some math to verify or debunk it.

Just sharing… There’s this guy I saw on youtube who made a sudhu-monk build he has 219 dex and with Monstrance boost it to 290+ with OOB boots evasion to 900+ but still get hit 1 out of 3 hits, Crit was good though I think 3 out of 5 attacks with Double Punch were crits

How do people feel about taking away the shield and using a Dagger as dual wield instead? Does it add any decent DPS? Does it even work, or is it already the norm and im just running around with a shield for no reason :stuck_out_tongue: