Tree of Savior Forum

Make the game difficult

Not the same feel though, Just look at all the skills they invented they are for action combat, it’s diablo where ingenuity is prioritized. If this game is just another clicker IMC is going to loose a lot of potential players.

faster movement and reactions would be swaggie. I would hate having to fight a huge, scary boss and they’re just so stupid…

bosses that require some level of skill to know the mechanics and whatnot…when to dodge, when you can heal, etc :horse:
I don’t want to be able to cheese bosses by spamming skills at them :weary:

I’d like them to adress the difficulty issue…but not like they did it this CBT2, like adding random objects on the field and cheap shmup patterns for some bosses. If they only reduced the delay between attacks and the startup frames for some of them, it’d be perfect.

Indeed. The bosses of CBT2 were mostly too easy because they were too sluggish and had long gaps of inactivity between phases/attacks.

I wasn’t talking about Dark Cloud one, i was talking about two. It is being called dark cloud 2 / dark chronicle, depending on country.

I have a few good examples of how to use immunitys skillfully. First, we have the barrier changing boss. Obvious enough. Second, we have the flunky variation. For example, a boss summons dangerous enemies, which however - for example - are succeptible to death magic. Or you need to silence the boss (or a flunky) permantly, because his spells are extremely deadly.

“Skillfull”, as you guys think it is, can esily become “who has the better internet”. Reaction time and hand-eye coordination aren’t the only skills. Management of stats or equips, party management, enemy knowlegde… the list goes on.

Sorry. They were called different in different countries, yes. I thought you were talking about the one starring Maxwell.

The best boss is one that takes the mechanics of a game and pushes them to a new level. I haven’t played ToS personally but it seems that a lot of the bosses are about positioning and teamwork, rather than precise equipment tweaking.

Games that involve specific equipment tweaking in terms of resistances, etc. have been phased out of relegated to the label of ‘hardcore’ in recent times since they aren’t really… fun, for most people.

Also, that is what ‘skillful’ is, having good hand-eye coordination and mechanical knowledge. You’re talking about being smart or knowledgeable about playing. A skillful players reacts to things, wheras a smart one plans ahead by learning mechanics and having correct gear. This is tangential though.

And I think difficulty should justify people’s class choices such as a boss that is more difficult if you don’t have a certain class. Also bosses that utilizes some classes skills like a boss that starts combat by Linking the party, this waty having knowledge of the mechanics gives you an advantage.

1 Like

Boss monsters needs a “auto-attack”, is the basic characteristic of a 2D MMORPG. I dont play either, but, I noticed the most of strong monsters just conjure spells or do random traps.

I’d like to see some Dark Souls feelings in this game, although highly unlikely to happen. : p

I did mean Dark Cloud 2 / Dark Chronicle (aka with max), but you wrote Dark Cloud (one).

A single mechanic can only go so far. Using multiple mechanics dramatically multiplies the amount of possible things you can do, and increases fun and difficulty likewise.

Yes, “hardcore”. Isn’t that what we are talking about here ?

I dunno about you, but being knowledgeable is a skill in my book. Shrug
I guess it is a personal thing.

ToS has a lot of areas, maps, dungeons to access. 149 fields, 39 dungeons, maybe there’ll be more in the future. So there’s always a chance that you’ll visit a place with similar atmosphere like Dark Souls. :grin:

In my country, it went Dark Chronicle -> Dark Chronicle 2! Language barriers are a wonderful thing.

Of course, never argued against that. However, a blanket mechanic like “Immune to X” is not a good mechanic unless it’s conditional. IE: Boss is immune to a certain type of attack unless you take out a minion or flip a switch.

Hardcore means different things to different people, which is why difficulty is such a hard thing to balance in games.

I guess it could be, it’s just semantics. It really depends on the time of game. In an action RPG like ToS, i’d expect skill to be based around being competent at fighting in real-time using character skills. Less focus on equipment, but at a higher level of play equipment could come into the picture with greater emphasis.

Equipment: Problem is, with MMO’s, is that handling multiple sets of equipment for different situations isn’t fun. I remember doing vanilla raids in World of Warcraft and needing sets of equipment with Fire Resistance, Frost Resistance, etcetera. On paper it seems like something that is involving, but just ends up as an annoying gimmick that gates people out of content.

Party Management: Yes, this is a given, since ToS is a very team-focused game. However, you can’t create a boss that requires X class, since that’ll bar certain groups from doing certain content, especially since class choices in ToS seem to be permanent. If you mean employing use of the triumvirate (Tank/Healer/Dps) then yeah, this is fine, since many classes can fill those roles.

Enemy Knowledge: Of course, this is important. However, in many MMO’s, it just ends up being “Watch a tutorial video on Youtube”, which really isn’t fun.

SCREAMS THIS

Like honestly. If a boss is going to move that slowly. And tell you where it’s going to attack. And you still manage to stand in the way. You better get severely punished. The fact that they do all that and then take like 10% of your HP is ludicrous.

Not to mention that hard bosses is like the #1 reason to party with other people. Game companies are constantly trying to figure out ways to encourage party play. But, uh, SPOILER: MAKE THE GAME MORE DIFFICULT.

Also PS I love love love Dark Cloud I hope it’s available on PlayStation eShop at some point in the future… @Skendya @NoElement

@Erokhi A location with similar atmosphere would be nice, but I was talking about the feeling that comes whenever you overcome that difficult boss that was giving you headaches.
I know that ToS won’t be a hardcore game like Dark Souls, but I’d appreciate if they design their bosses to require pure player skill (dodging, positioning and tactics) to be beaten, instead of just raw stats numbers and bunny-hoping auto attacks from affair. Yet there are so many bosses in the game that must be almost impossible to balance all of them. : p

I just feel like there were little focus on combining skills, I mean they told us 'bout combos and all but, did they ever encourage us to do so? cuz every party video I saw, the players didn’t even try to combo

The combos I saw in CBT2 seemed very gimmicky, although I think they planned to add more in future.

this is not gonna happen. they are making the game smartphone and tablet friendly, which means it’s gonna be easy as hell and most likely gonna get old fast.

Yeah, I understand that feeling. It’s very rewarding to defeat those extremely hard bosses because it takes a lot of effort just to survive 1 attack. :joy:
As for the future updates, I think we shall find some challenging bosses that can make us cry for hours, especially boss fights in the middle of hidden quests. Btw maybe there will be some bosses that aren’t hard enough to beat, but don’t forget that the large amount of hidden quests themselves have made the game harder.

1 Like

I saw some videos and I think enemies need to be faster, maybe less damage for bosses. Story bosses are soloable too easily for certains classes.

I hope there’s a balance between challenging and people spamming “nerf pls” on the forums :elephant: