Tree of Savior Forum

Magic is just... Ugh

Okay so I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that magic attacks are incredibly unfair and unbalanced both in PvE and PvP. They can’t miss or be blocked and a lot of magic attacks are homing and don’t seem to have a maximum range.

In PvE, your effectiveness is based on how well you can handle fighting multiple enemies at once. So it’s incredibly frustrating when you’re surrounded by mage enemies all spamming either their basic attacks that can’t miss or their attack that not only can’t miss sometimes, but knocks you down, thus CC-locking you until you get an opportunity to kill them or run away; and if you’re not too invested in HP when that happens, it’s essentially a death sentence or very close to it.

PvP is even worse as it creates an atmosphere of one class completely dominating the PvP scene. Magic attacks have insanely high base damage, which makes sense as a lot of spells have cast times so they compensate the caster for their time with a lot of damage. However, it also makes it so Wizards don’t necessarily have to invest in INT or SPR too much, giving them the option of investing most of their points into CON. By doing this, they increase their longevity substantially while still dealing good damage. That longevity combined with never being able to miss makes Wizards extremely overpowered in PvP. Wizards (especially Cryomancers and Psychokinos) have amazing CC options that completely immobilize opponents for long periods of time. This allows them to easily gain the upper hand and freeze/stun-lock the opponent. Even if they don’t deal a lot of damage, they can still chip away incredibly effectively with their naturally high DPS while also taking a good deal of hits thanks to their CON investment. I just want to repeat that I don’t think the damage is the issue. It’s the fact that magic attacks can’t miss that makes the Wizard class overpowered and makes the damage they deal seem overpowered by extension.

Lastly, I think this can all be summed up in a bigger problem. That problem being that the options for good Magic Defense are incredibly scarce throughout the game. Most people don’t use bracelets and necklaces for their Magic Defense, but for the extra effects they give them. That being said, the only armor that gives extra Magic Defense is Cloth, which is only useful on magic classes or tanks if they REALLY want to defend well against magic. I think more defensive options as well as making magic attacks somewhat avoidable will help balance things out.

Thank you for reading

Hi, I made a suggestion that i think would help with this. Its under the skill scaling and damage mitigation sections.

let me know what you think if you want…

False.

Grynas top/bottom and Virtov Leather Bottom all give M.Def. Lolopanther Plate top also gives a healthy M.def bonus.

Yes, high level cloth gloves and boots give bonus M def…but at least we are getting options on other types of gear.

I see people complaining about magic in this game and am sitting here playing Secret of Mana :smirk:

3 Likes

Think about how many pieces of armor are in this game. Think about how many are viable to use. Now count how many pieces of armor you just named off. Surely you can’t think that’s enough.

I never said it “Was enough”. :stuck_out_tongue: I just said there were other pieces besides cloth.

I’m seriously thinking of joining the bandwagon and making a kino myself.

Just putting all stats in CON, not worrying about STR and DEX like other classes, is INCREDIBLY UNFAIR.

Bandwagon here we go!

i wonder if a crykino can out DPS a broadhead arrow attribute level 100 , right now…assuming that it does 50k damage in 10 seconds