Tree of Savior Forum

Is being a tanker viable?

Cataphract skill Impaler is evil in pvp~

Not really sure if a full tanker is workable or not but on paper, it seems viable.
Swordsman C1 > Peltasta C3 > Rodelero C2 or Swordsman C1 > Peltasta C2 > Rodelero C3

But there’s no way anyone could leech to Rank 6 job or higher in this grindy game without some solo fighting abilities. So let just say if, a level 200 shield bearer should be around…
STR invest 49; Final incl. bonus 100 (Attack 300)
CON invest 90; Final incl. bonus 120 (HP 21363) ; if CON invest 199; Final 261 (HP 33348)
INT invest 0; Final incl. bonus 3
SPR invest 31; Final incl. bonus 40 (SP 1586)
DEX invest 29; Final incl. bonus 40

Your PvP skills would be High Guard(Atk -50%) + Umbo Blow(125%-165%dmg on high guard) & Rim Blow(125%-165%dmg on high guard); Shield Push(Unbalanced opp 5sec- 255 def), High Kick(enemy temp weak to strike dmg), Shield Shoving(enemy unable to take action for next 1.5secs).
Grinding, look for some solo Monk DPS as they could Heal & DPS while sux at gathering mobs.
Soloing wise, try to keep the mobs around 3-4 at times since you don’t really have powerful AOE skills.

@shyangyuan

you cant use your CC Rodelero skills in PvP if you cant touch any of them, as swordsmen are CCed and kited to death.

You need Squire and Corsair because of their ranged CC, Arrest and Iron Hook respectively.

Can move with High guard activated rite?

As @Karjalainen said., Rodelero skills are VERY GOOD in paper but if you can’t catch your opponents, those disables are useless. With that said it is not advisable to go Rodelero C3 as Shooting Star and High Kick are mostly for damage and SS doesn’t deal that much. Also every disable except Shield Bash have their CC duration fixed so a level or two will not make any significant difference.

To answer this glaring weaknesses, you will need to use a class who has both good mobility and sustaining DPS such Cataphract or Fencer.
Cataphracts gives you the ability to ride a mount that will greatly boost your mobility enough to catch an enemy, deal some decent damage, and run-away; Thus giving you a class which is good for kiting enemies.
Fencers gives you a kit with sustained DPS with its low cooldown skills and relentless attacks beating the damaging skills of Rodelero C3 and also adding a huge amount of block and evasion rate to greatly increase your survivability.

Note: Please take not that when you’re mounted, some skills will not be available such as Targe Smash from Rodelero and other skills.

so, rodelero > cataphract is the way to go for those crowd control skills to be useful?

how about the Karjalainen’s corsair or squire suggestion?..

any pros and cons for them in actual gameplay? since all i could do atm while waiting for the next beta testing is tinkering the skill simulator… all i can do is ask for actual game experience from others. there are things that i find good in paper but not sure if it’s good in practice…

oh man, i really want to play this game and test each builds to see what i’m comfortable with and what are actually good that is not just on paper. so in the actual release i already know what path to pursue.

just take cataphract if your going swordie, jack of all trade yet best pvp swordsmen

-Move Speed
-AoE
-Damage
-Tanking (take peltast1 at rank2 and hoplite1 at rank3)

so how about the population of those who pursue that path? because based on experience… popular ones are prone to being hit by the nerf hammer. and i must say, they don’t usually get a second shot getting back to the summit.

barbarians 3 months ago

As @Karjalainen mentioned:

just take cataphract if your going swordie, jack of all trade yet best pvp swordsmen

-Move Speed
-AoE
-Damage
-Tanking (take peltast1 at rank2 and hoplite1 at rank3)

Cataphract is your all-rounder swordie and arguably the best PvP class for the said tree as its mobility is very high.

To answer your question above which is the topic on corsairs and squires; Take Corsair if you want to be an Auto-hit DPS or take Squire if you want to be a Full Tank support but consider the fact that this two build paths are so different that you can place them at one end to another.

A Corsair’s essence is to hit enemies with fast and hard strikes with both main-hand and off-hand relying on high evasion to guard himself/herself, making Corsair an “off-tank”. The only weakness of being an “off-tank” is that you cannot really partake the role of a “true-tank” a absorb as much damage as them, especially against magic damage which cannot be evaded.
While on the other hand; a Squire is a supportive type of tank as with arrest you can group mobs successfully which makes farming dungeons and fields easier but with the cost of very low damage-dealing class. To answer this weakness, it is recommended to take at least 2 circles of Hoplite and get Lv 10 Finestra, and Stabbing which will amplify your overall DPS.

i like the idea of full tank support… :smiley:
so if i go with that path… i would need swordie>peltasta1>hoplite1>hoplite2>squire1>squire2?
will full CON be okay with that?

well doesn’t really have to be full con at start… i mean, if there is a stat/skill reset or something… i could buy those later on…

since your taking hoplite2 seek advice from this thread

Going Full CON is really not recommended… But having a Very High CON rating with support with High STR rating will be ideal.

If you plan to take the path of a Full Tank Support, I suggest you take the first 50 stats points and invest it to STR first then gradually taking in some CON and add some DEX if you happen to Miss enemies often.

The common Path for this was as you mentioned:

SWD 1 > PLT 1 > HOP 2i > SQR 1ii or SQR 2iii or either go RDL1iv or CAT1v or HOP3vi

Note:
i = Taking 2 circles of Hoplite will need you to have atleast a High STR rating as this class relies heavily on auto-attacks as the skill like Pierce and Stabbing have a fairly high Cool Down.
ii = Circle 1 of SQR is enough to fill the sub support role. Just take Lv. 5 Arrest, Weapon and Armor Maintenance. With this you can have an extra rank either for utility of more Damage
iii = Cirlce 2 of SQR will let you have Camp and Foods that will help your whole party farming or grinding in one spot.
iv = Going RDL 1 will give you 5 disables, Shield Charge has knockdown, Montano has paralyze and if upgraded it will gain slow, Targe Smash has Darkness/Blind, Shield Push will give the enemy both Phy Def Reduction and Unbalanced Status, and lastly Shield Shoving will disable your opponent. Taking this path will give you more utility.
v = Taking a Circle 1 of CAT will land your mobility boost like no end with riding mounts and Trot,a buff that increases your running speed in flat amount. Having mobility for a tank will solve its nature of being slow and unresponsive and drastically increase your pressure in the area you playing at the moment.
vi = Upgrading Hoplite to its last Circle will result to an even higher DPS with a max level Finestra and Stabbing and having a decent CC with Throwing Spear which will bind fixing your opponent at the place your spear landed.

guess i’ll take squire c2… because of

just like in the great old days…

question though, does squire skill only affect allies? i mean, squire itself can’t benefit from it? no love for thyself?..
is this path okay with farming solo? in case that no one wanna farm/grind with me as party.

The WHOLE PARTY will benefit with camp and food table, so yes, the squire himself/herself can consume food to receive the buffs accordingly.

If you are planning to go SQR2 and will most of the time play solo, I suggest you to take another path for tanking. Squires are made to be a stalwart support for the whole party by sacrificing necessary DPS for solo leveling. But if you play your stats correctly, you may be successful to solo up to levels 130 and from their you must find a party of at-least three to make it easy for you.

Edit:
The DPS you will need to solo level below levels 130 will come from your high STR rating and Finestra buff of Hoplite. Other than that, you will have a very hard time soloing as you will face High Cool Downs and that Stabbing can be quite ineffective as a mobbing skill.

Going full CON is definitely a mistake, unless you like repairing all the time ( You’ll get hit for small amounts so often your gear will just break ). Since you can dodge any number of enemies without a penalty, taking 60-80 DEX will make you far tankier, and since you won’t actually take all the hits, your armor won’t break.

I’ve made a couple of tank characters, and found having at least 50 CON and ~80 DEX works really well. More CON if you want, but I usually just started putting it into STR since swordsman base HP is high enough anyways, +swash buckling 25% bonus.

Wtf is a tanker? Do you want to be an oil tanker? Or maybe an aircraft tanker. It’s tank not tanker. /endrant

There are a$$holes everywhere in life. Grow some thick skin.

It is a common concept of placing the suffix -er to a noun or verb suggesting that the word is referring to a person.
This is common internet english so its not a big deal.

1 Like

not sure if serious or just joking… but it sure is awkward. :sweat_smile:

there are assholes everywhere… we all know that. but even assholes have better argument/joke than that. maybe grow some sense of humor or brain first mate. serious advice.