Tree of Savior Forum

[SUBMIT] A Comprehensive Monk Guide: Enter The Fist!

Server: [SEA] Telsiai
Team Name: 4lkruzeth

A Comprehensive Monk Guide: Enter The Fist!

[Table of Contents]

• Disclaimer
  • Introduction
  • Monk: The Class
  • Stats
  • Skills
    - Cleric Skills
    - Monk Skills
  • Rotation
  • Class Builds
    - Choosing Monk as a Main Class
    - Choosing Monk as a Complement Class
    - Choosing Monk as a Utility Class
    - Class Build Breakdown
    - Notes of Class Interactions outside Monk
    - Example of Class Builds
  • Gear and Equipment
  • Gems
  • Cards
  • In Closing

Introduction

[Introduction]

Hi! I am 4lkruzeth, a player from [SEA] Telsiai, and I have main-ed the Monk class since the game’s release as a Founder during Closed Beta. I’ve been with the class since its beginnings and saw how the Monk class has changed through its time in ToS. With that said, I mainly do PvE content, and only do PvP for fun. I do not claim to be best Monk in ToS, though I believe I can help out players, new and old, who need help about the Monk class. Having done most endgame content and playing the Monk class, I believe I am informed and experienced enough to write this guide.

Enjoy the read, and I hope you enjoy playing the Monk class!

Disclaimer

Monk has drastically changed since the advent of the Re:Build patch in Tree of Savior (ToS), be it playstyle, how skill rotations, class builds and even the skills themselves work, and the class has found itself in a rather neglected, poor state to the point of almost-irrelevance due to the competition it has with other classes in the Cleric Tree. It is important to get out the fact that Monk is not a META class that players would want to get to steamroll through content in ToS, and its underpowered to the point where in any point of time a build may want to consider Monk, there are always better options that give significant benefits and trade-offs compared to Monk.

With that said, some players, new or old, may want to play Monk for fun, not for a “Best-Class-Best-DPS” clear-all. This guide aims to help such players, and those taking Monk hoping for top-tier damage may want to stop reading and find another class. I may reference certain things from before the Re:Build patch to help old players relate to the changes to skills now, but I will do my best to limit such referencing or explain such references properly so new players won’t feel too left out.

The purpose of this guide is not meant to be an optimal min-max DPS guide of sorts, but to be a guide compiling everything there is to know about the Monk class and its role in ToS. Monk is an unpopular class in ToS, and there is a severe lack of Monk players (even to the point where it is even said that there are no Monk players in Korean ToS and certain International ToS servers) to help out anyone who might have wanted to try out Monk at some point. This guide serves as a beacon of reference for players, new and old, on wanting to try out Monk to read about the class and its quirks.

I do not claim to be a player of absolute, all-encompassing knowledge about Monk and Tree of Savior, so my guide may have some discrepancies here and there. With that said, I’ve compiled as much as I could to the best of my knowledge in this guide and try my best to make sure that my information is correct and accurate. Feel free to correct, point out and criticize this guide should there be such discrepancies, and I will correct them out.

[Monk: The Class]

• “Monks are special clerics who worship the Goddess’ through physical training. They serve the Goddess’ and provide their services through their physical prowess, acting of their own free will other than doing the Goddess’ bidding by following the Goddess’ prophecies.”
  • “Monks are clerics who train in martial arts through the blessing of the goddess.”

The Monk class, at its core, is a close-range physical DPS class that utilizes their fists to deal damage instead of other classes who uses their weapons to channel spells or hit enemies with. While one may misunderstand that the Monk class does not require a weapon to deal damage, a weapon is still required as a Monk’s skills still base its damage from their equipped weapon.

While a Monk’s damage is lackluster compared to most DPS classes, Monks make up for it with skills featuring CC such as Knockdown, Knockback, HP/SP Drain and Silence while having a lot of Overheats with decently short cooldowns for spamming glory. As a close-combat class, Monks do not have the best range, and is a class more suited towards Boss fights due to this, or PvP due to the plethora of CC it has. Most of the Monk’s skill set are affected by Attack Speed, and with all the Overheats those skills have, stacking Attack Speed becomes an essential for Monks to chain their skills properly, attack rapidly for faster DPS, and play comfortably in general. The faster a Monk uses their skills, the more time they have to do damage with skills from other classes before their skills go off cooldown. Not having enough Attack Speed can result in a Monk only having enough time to ONLY Monk skills before they go off cooldown (Monk skills are rather slow and clunky with little to no Attack Speed). This results in Monks either using less skills/adding points in less skills to have time to use skills from other classes, or becoming detrimental, less-used, and a hindrance in builds as compared to taking other classes, so be careful this when choosing Monk in a build. It is also because of this, that Monk is a class that is a bit ping-reliant in order to spam all the skills Monk has to offer (although not as ping-reliant as before Re:Build, Double Punch spam days). Its because of this importance that Attack Speed (and DEX) will often be talked about and will be a recurring topic in this guide.

The Monk class is not restricted to any weapon-type and armor-type. With that said, a Monk is recommended to use 2h-Maces due to its higher attack values and some attributes that gives further offensive boosts when equipping a 2h-Mace. As a DPS class, offensive stats are preferred over defensive stats (defensive stats are still important though, a dead DPS does no DPS after all), and Leather armor are recommended due to the buffs it gives towards Critical Rate and Critical Chance.

[Stats]

Every character in the game has base stats (STR, CON, INT, SPR, DEX), and the amount of stats from each category changes depending factors such as:

• Class Stat Growths
  • Equipment
  • Quests and Hidden Quests
  • Collections
  • Titles
  • Statue of Zemyna

I will be explaining what stats are important for a Monk, but its important to know that whatever stats are important may differ according to each individual class build, not just Monk. With that said:

image STR:

• Physical Attack: +2 per 1 STR, +5% per 10 STR

Monk is a Physical DPS class. It’s a no-brainer to get a lot of STR to increase your Physical Attack to as much as you possibly can. Try to get as much STR as you can from equipment. With that said, nothing compares to getting a good weapon damage-wise, stats won’t carry you through damage that much. Still, the more STR the better.

image CON:

• Max HP: +0.3% of max HP per level, +1% of max HP per 10 levels
  • Physical + Magic Defense: +2 per 1 CON, +5% per 10 CON

A dead DPS deals no DPS, enough said. CON is a great stat to have alongside having good armor to protect yourself and have more survivability so as not to get one-shot and die in vain. Try to get as much CON as you can from equipment.

image INT:

• Magic Attack: +2 per 1 INT, +5% per 10 INT

Monks do not have Magic Attacks to make use of this stat, and is a Physical DPS class in general. INT is not really that great of a stat for a Monk to be worth getting INT from equipment etc. While players are free to choose any build, including those that may mix both Physical and Magic damage, I still strongly believe that there are other ways to go about with such builds. Do not bother with this stat.

image SPR:

• Summon Damage: ((SPR / (level + 1)) * 100)%
  • Healing: +1 per 1 SPR, +3% per approx. 10 SPR
  • Buff Factor: (Depends on the buff)
  • Magic Critical Attack: +2 per 1 SPR, +5% per 10 SPR

Looking at SPR as a DPS class, SPR may seem like a mundane stat to take note of. However, Monks may want to take notice of SPR due to its Healing stat. Monks do not have much SPR due to the Stat Growth of a Monk, and will benefit a lot even from half-decent amounts of SPR from equipment. Monks that take classes with healing skills and relevant buffs greatly appreciate this stat.

Monks who want to delve into a build with mixed damage (Physical and Magic) may also be interested in SPR over INT. DPS classes prefer investing in ways to deal critical hits, be it stronger or more frequently, and Magic Attacks can benefit from SPR in general. In the overall picture of Magic Attacks, Monks will benefit from SPR more so than INT due to it generally giving more general useful stats as compared to INT with only Magic Attack that Monks don’t really use.

Basically, SPR is a nice stat to look out for. While not a priority, its nice to have if you do get it on your armor, even more so if you choose a build that needs SPR.

image DEX:

• Attack Speed: (DEX / 1000) ^ 0.5
  • Physical Critical Attack: +2 per 1 DEX, +5% per 10 DEX

In my honest opinion, DEX, or rather, Attack Speed, is the most important stat for Monks. As I have said before, the skills that Monks use are mostly affected by Attack Speed, have a lot of Overheats, and have decent cooldowns. It is imperative to Monks that have a good amount of Attack Speed to be able to spam them out to make way for skills from other Classes to be used before Monk skills go off cooldown. Additionally, one of Monk’s skills requires a long time dedicated to the skill to use it (11+ seconds), making this much more important down the road for Monks. Throughout this guide, Attack Speed will be talked about a lot, and this relates greatly towards DEX, being the only stat out of the 5 that gives Attack Speed.

Skills that are affected by Attack Speed are usually slow and sluggish by nature unless a certain amount of Attack Speed is invested. Referring to the graph above, such skills start getting comfortable to use with at least +160 DEX worth of Attack Speed (with reference to comfortable old Attack Speed).

With that said, nothing’s stopping Monks from getting more DEX than that to spam out skills faster, though Attack Speed per DEX do start diminishing a bit with increasing levels of DEX. For old players to reference from, before ~420 DEX, Attack Speed Scales better than the old Attack Speed scaling, but after 420 DEX, Attack Speed scaling starts scaling worse than the old Attack Speed scaling. With that said, the scaling is not severe enough that the diminishing returns to DEX and Attack Speed is not worth it, and Monks should aim to get as much DEX as they can from equipment.

Increasing investments in DEX also gives more Physical Critical Attack, a stat Monks are happy to get as a Physical DPS class. This becomes all the better with equipment and Monk builds that are geared towards dealing critical hits more strongly and frequently. DPS classes usually gear towards critical rate and critical damage for maximum damage, and DEX is a welcome stat for physical DPS builds. If you have free stat points, I recommend that you throw all those points into DEX. However, should you feel comfortable with the amount of DEX you have from +160 DEX onwards, feel free to put those points into other skill points.

[Stat Growth]

Monks have a good STR and DEX stat growths with a decent CON stat growth, with no stat growth in INT and SPR whatsoever.

• In a class build, taking Monk with another class with good DEX stat growths alone is enough to reach more than 160 DEX. As a Monk, I highly recommend that 160 DEX be a minimum requirement for Attack Speed and that Monks choose at least 1 such class in their class builds to play comfortably, or get enough DEX from equipment, or both.

• As said before, having more STR and CON is always good.

• While Monks aren’t affected by having no INT stat growths, having no SPR stat growth is a little downside mainly due to not being able to heal parties reliably, especially as a Healer role. A Monk typically does not support parties via heals, but rather use that heal on themselves for self-sustain, but if a Monk wants to gain supportive capabilities with heals for the party, it is important to at least get more SPR, be it from a class with good SPR stat growths or equipment. Clerics also have skills to boost the Healing stat, so please allocate skill points accordingly assuming you are thinking of going the supportive route.

Stat Priorities for most builds in Tree of Savior depends on the build due to their priorities in Stats:

• DEX usually takes priority for builds with skills affected by Attack Speed to spam skills faster. Scout buffs also scale from DEX. Builds that can deal critical hits reliably may also think about this stat.
  • SPR is a vital stat for builds pertaining to summons, heals and buffs scaling from SPR. Builds that can deal critical hits reliably may also think about this stat.
  • CON has great general uses for survivability as a stat giving quite a bit of defensive benefits
  • STR and INT gives damage increases for physical and magic attack respectively, but weapons usually carry damage mostly, and is usually regarded last.

Certain gameplay only becomes viable with enough DEX/SPR, thus those stats usually take priority in builds affected by them. Following that, builds not affected much by them can have a choice of getting more damage or defensive benefits. With that, the general Stat Priority for most builds goes as follows:

• DEX or SPR >> STR and/or INT = CON

Monks benefit a lot from DEX due to its Attack Speed reliant skills with loads of Overheats. Following that, CON is always useful, and is generally a stat sought after in equipment. As a Cleric, SPR is great for healing, though party support healing requires a priest, so SPR is usually not much of a priority once you are able to heal yourself reliably (Cleric has a good single target heal too). Any STR you can get is great, though weapon can carry damage, and INT is usually unneeded for a Monk unless a magic class is included into the build.

In terms of Stat Priorities for these 5 stats for Monks:

• DEX (at least 160+ DEX) > CON > SPR (get enough for self-healing) > STR, no INT

[Skills]

Before looking into Monk skills, every Monk has the Cleric Base class. Let’s take a short look at the Cleric Base class with regards to Monk.

[Cleric Skills]

Every Monk has access to the base Cleric class and skills which are relevant, even in endgame, thus making it important to take a look at first. Whatever skills one takes in the Cleric skill tree may differ according to preferences and build, and can be game-changing even in endgame. If you have already decided on the Cleric Tree Skill Distribution, feel free to skip this tidbit. With that said:

Class Special Costume (Obtainable from TP Shop)

*Changes Heal visual effects.

• Cleric Special Costume (M)

• Cleric Special Costume (F)

image [Heal]

Description

[Buff] - [Magic] - [Holy]

Restores the HP of a selected target. The amount of HP restored depends on the caster’s Healing stat.

• Heal Factor: [588 + (Skill Level - 1) * 103]%
    Cooldown: 10 seconds
    2 Overheats
    137 SP

Attributes

[Heal: Enhance] image
(Max level 100)

• Increases the heal factor of [Heal] by 0.5% per attribute level
  • +10% added increase at maximum level​
  • Heal Lv 1 and above
  • Get this attribute up to Lvl 60 first when you’re funded enough, optional to max

[Heal: Linger] image
(Max level 10)

• Applies a buff that continuously restores the HP of allies healed with Heal or Mass Heal
  • The buff lasts 10 sec and restores HP in a value equal to [attribute level x 5]% of your Healing stat
  • Increases SP consumption by 30%​
  • Max this attribute, especially if you are a Monk taking a Priest class

Explanation

Every Cleric’s basic healing skill, using this skill opens up a wheel UI displaying the names of your party members (positioned Up, Down, Left, Right of the wheel).

(Normal Heal)

(Cleric Special Costume Effect)

• To heal your team mates, tap the heal skill first, followed by pressing Up, Down, Left or Right depending on the team mate you want to heal.

• Players are placed on the wheel in the order they are listed on your party
    1 - Up
    2 - Left
    3 - Down
    4 - Right

• If someone goes offline, the order shifts up accordingly (Example, Player 3 goes off, Player 4 takes the position of Player 3 at Down position)

• To heal yourself, simply double-tap the [Heal] skill.

• You do not have to be close to your teammates to heal them, and can heal them from quite a distance (even far off outside your screen) as long as their name appears on your wheel.

• To cancel the skill, press ESC or press Jump

[Heal] is strong in single-target healing skill with attributes to increase the heal amount and give a Heal-over-Time buff based on that value. Even builds without much SPR and Healing Stat can find good use out of this skill, and in any cleric build, this skill is usually given first priority to max. While this skill excels in single-target healing, this skill is quite cumbersome to use as a party heal skill unless you get used to the controls. This skill isn’t suited at all in healing party members, so please do not join a party as a Healer if you only have [Heal] as your healing skill.

Monks do not usually have a lot of SPR, but the huge skill factor of [Heal] allows Monks to use this skill to top themselves up properly with SPR from equipment alone.

• Point Distribution: (5/5)
    Even if you plan to heal solely from HP potions alone, please max this. Out of all the skills in the Cleric Skill Tree, I would say this is the most useful and important one.

image [Cure]

Description

Cure allies with a Lv. 1 status ailment or inflict damage on enemies.

• ​Skill Factor: [76 + 2.6 * (Skill Level - 1)]% (3 hits)
    Cooldown: 20 seconds
    2 Overheats
    174 SP

Attributes

[Cure: Enhance] image
(Max level 100)

• Increases the skill factor of [Cure] by 0.5% per attribute level
  • Cure Lvl 1 and above
  • No one takes [Cure] for the damage, skip this Attribute]

Explanation

A Cleric’s basic debuff cleanse that removes Lvl 1 status ailments and does 3 hits of Holy Damage to enemies around you. The damage of [Cure], combined with the time taken to cast it makes this skill very undesirable to use as a DPS skill, and is used much better as a debuff cleanse.

• Simply press this skill to activate [Cure]. As long as party members/enemies are not at the edges of your screen, party members/enemies will get debuff-cleased/damaged by [Cure].

[Cure] only increases in damage per level, and fulfills its purpose at Lvl 1 already. As a Monk, this skill’s only purpose is to cleanse Lvl 1 debuffs, and even then there are items in-game to cleanse debuffs (Antidotes, Omamori, Dispellers etc). This skill is of secondary priority for a Monk, and if there are other skills that need maxing over [Cure], feel free to leave this skill at 0.

• Point Distribution: (0 - 1/5)

The purpose of this skill is easily replaced by many other means in the game, so feel free to leave it at 0, or put 1 point if you have points left.

image [Fade]

Description

Erases the threat of monsters making them stop any attacks on you.

• ​Duration: [ 10 + (Skill Level) * 2] seconds
    Cooldown: 30 seconds
    200 SP

Explanation

[Fade] allows you to sneak up to monsters without getting attacked/getting aggro from monsters (buff also affects party members). While this skill looks plain, its quite useful in solo and party play if used right (For example, sneaking up on bosses and re-positioning/setting up before attacking, sneaking through places with aggressive monsters).

• Press the skill [Fade] to get a buff where, for the duration of the buff, you do not gain aggro nor get targetted by monsters.

• The buff ends if you attack a monster, when an attack hits you or when the timer of the skill ends. Using damage skills will not end the buff AS LONG AS the attack does not hit yet. A note of caution not to use [Fade] when there are tons of mobs attacking you, since a mob may hit you as soon as you get [Fade] up, thus removing the buff. Make some distance before using this skill.

This skill is rather situational at best, and may be detrimental if used wrongly (accidentally using it when a tank in your party gets maximum aggro, using it when the party wants to group up monsters, etc). There are also skills in ToS that allows players to seek and find players hiding, which limits the use of this skill in PvP. With that said, it still has its uses, though not really important. Anyone can appreciate an aggro kill switch, not just Monks, and how much use this skill gets depends on the players themselves.

• Point Distribution: (0 - Remaining points/5)

Beauty is in the eyes of its beholder, and this skill may be trash to some players or treasure to others. With that said, this skill is of secondary priority compared to the other skills in the Cleric Skill Distribution, so feel free to skip this skill if needed.

image [Smite]

Description

​[Strike] - [Physical] - [ATK speed]

Strike down enemies with a powerful attack. Deals additional damage to Mutant and Demon-type enemies.

• Skill Factor: [257 + 8.5 * (Skill Level - 1)]%
    AoE Attack Ratio: [+4, depends on character’s AoE Attack Ratio]
    Cooldown: 12 seconds
    5 Overheats
    72 SP

Attributes

[Smite: Enhance] image
(Max level 100)

• Increases the skill factor of [Smite] by 0.5% per attribute level
  • Smite Lvl 1 and above
  • Get this attribute up to Lvl 60 first when you’re funded enough, optional to max

Explanation

[Smite] is this base class’s best damage skill. Simply put, using this skill allows a Cleric to do some decent physical damage until advancement.

• Pressing this skill makes the character strike enemies in front (rather decent range and AoE Attack Ratio). Best used on enemies debuffed by Monk’s strike damage debuff.

• This skill does an additional 200% damage on Mutant and Demon-type enemies.

• [Synergy] Paladin’s Conviction: When using [Smite] on a target debuffed by [Conviction], the skill’s damage is modified from 100% of the skill’s damage, to 80% x 3 (fake multi-hit).

As a [Physical] - [Strike] skill that is affected Attack Speed (also affected by Cleric’s 2h-Mace Attribute for increased damage), this skill is actually quite decent as a filler, especially with a good amount of Attack Speed to spam all 5 Overheats fast. Monks have a skill to apply a 50% additional Strike damage debuff where this skill can benefit from. Furthermore, this skill gets additional damage on Demon/Mutant-type monsters and those under [Conviction] debuff, which is nice especially on builds that have the Paladin or Inquisitor class.

With that said, this skill may find minimal use on builds that already have a lot of better damage skills to not use [Smite], making it a waste of skill points on certain builds. From a Monk’s perspective, the Cleric Skill Tree distribution is stretched between [Smite] and [Guardian Saint], and this skill is top priority to consider along with [Guardian Saint], that is after maxing [Heal]. A Monk’s Cleric Skill Tree Distribution usually considers both skills after [Heal], whether to max [Smite] or [Guardian Saint] and split the rest of the points between [Fade] and [Cure], or simply max both [Smite] and [Guardian Saint], abandoning the remaining 2 skills due to the fact that both [Smite] and [Guardian Saint] works much better maxed.

• Point Distribution: (0 - 5/5)

For players who already have better damage skills to spam with no space for any other skill, this skill is probably just a waste of skill points. With that said, some builds lacking in damage skills or can benefit significantly with [Smite] will get good use out of this skill, which by all means please add points or even max this skill.

image [Guardian Saint]

Description

Increases the caster’s Healing ability.

• ​Guardian Saint Duration: 60 sec
    Healing: + [Skill Level * 5]%

Attributes

[Guardian Saint: Enhance] image
(Max level 100)

• Increases [Guardian Saint]'s healing increasing effects by 0.5% per attribute level
  • Guardian Saint Lvl 1 and above

Explanation

This skill basically increases your Healing Stat which, in turn, allows healing skills to heal more.

• Simply press the button to receive a buff that gives increased Healing Stats. A mandatory skill for Healers in ToS.

• [Synergy] Paladin’s Restoration: The amount of HP recovered increases by 10% when the Guardian Saint buff is active.

• [Synergy] Pardoner’s Indulgentia: The amount of HP recovered increases by 10% when the Guardian Saint buff is active.

More healing is always useful, especially on a class that does not stack on Healing Stats and SPR. This skill is usually maxed for support classes, but with that said, the extra healing helps and is significant for self-healing due to the huge skill factor of [Heal]. With regards to Monks, Monks will always prioritize maxing [Heal], followed by allocating points between [Smite] and/or [Guardian Saint], finally redistributing the remaining points into [Cure] and [Fade], if any points still remain.

With that said, there is an equipment from Boruta’s Raid (GvG content) that increases healing and damage while under [Guardian Saint]. Worth noting to take the skill for that equipment alone, along with the benefits of this skill.

• Point Distribution: (1 or 5/5)

More healing is great, and maxing this skill is great for better survival. Even when not needing the healing, having an equipment that gives more damage/healing when using the buff is also a plus, so get at least 1 point in the skill.

Still would recommend this skill though. Only put less than 5 points if you really, really need the points in other skills.

[Overall Skill Point Distribution for Base Class]

A player can choose to allocate skill points up to personal preferences, and should not be limited to my recommendations should they find some use in a different skill point allocation. From a Monk’s standpoint, here are some recommendations.

• First Priority: [Heal] is always maxed (5/5) as the most useful skill in the Base Class.

• Second Priority: Go with one of these options (up to personal preferences),

• Max [Guardian Saint] [5/5] for a boost in healing power and if its not optimal to spam [Smite] (better skills in the arsenal to spam, more than enough skills to not use [Smite], etc). Especially useful on builds that have other healing skills. Add some points in [Smite] or leave it at 0 for other skills.

• Max [Smite] [5/5] if you have skills that synergize with this skill, have no more damage skills and/or in need of more to fill during DPS duration downtime and/or have no need for healing/no intention of stacking SPR. It is not worth putting points in [Guradian Saint] if there is no intention to max it as it has little impact otherwise, so save those skill points for other skills.

• Max both [Smite] and [Guardian Saint] at [5/5] to get best of both worlds, leaving no points for remaining skills.

• Last Priority: Add 1 point to [Cure] to gain the full benefits of its utility at (1/5) and place the remaining points into [Fade] at (~4/5) (1 point into [Guardian Saint] if you didn’t add even a single point in it)

• Note: If you don’t mind using HP potions as your main source of healing, its possible to remove a few points off heal to max out certain skills.

Class Attributes

[Two-handed Blunt Mastery: Strike] image
(Max level 1)

• Strike damage +10% when equipping a [Two-handed Blunt] weapon​
  • Lvl 1 and above
  • Max this attribute as soon as possible

[One-handed Blunt Mastery: Healing] image
(Max level 5)

​- Increases Healing by 2% per attribute level when equipping a one-handed blunt weapon.​

• Character Lvl 1 and above
  • It’s ok to take this attribute, though as a Monk, you will use 2h-Maces mainly

Finally, lets go through the Monk class …

[Monk Skills]

For Monk skills, it is important to know that there is no One-Build-Fits-All Monk Skill Distribution as different Clas Builds have different ways to maximize Monk’s and the Build’s overall damage. While there are a few core skills (will be explained further down), a lot of points still remain after adding such core skills, so there is plenty to play around with for a Skill Build that suits you.

If you are familiar with the inner workings of Monk skills in Re:Build, feel free to scroll down towards [Overall Skill Point Distribution for Monk]. Otherwise:

Class Special Costume (Obtainable from TP Shop)

*Changes Double Punch visual effects.

• Monk Special Costume (M)

• Monk Special Costume (F)

image [Iron Skin]

Description

​[Buff] - [Magic]

Temper your skin to become hard as steel and momentarily reduce the damage you receive from enemy physical attacks.

• ​Physical Damage Taken: - [Skill Level * 0.5]%
    Duration: [300] seconds
    Cooldown: 1 minute
    250 SP

Explanation

Basically, a buff that reduces ONLY physical damage received by a small amount.

• Simply put, press the skill to gain a buff where, for the duration of the buff, you will receive less Physical Damage. This is a self buff, not a party buff.

[Iron Skin] is a skill riddled with numerous problems, really. For the amount of skill points that can be placed in this skill, the amount of damage (note, only Physical damage) mitigated is far too little (0.5% per skill level, 7.5% at level 15). On top of that, this skill cannot be enhanced with Enhance Attributes. 7.5% is a bit too little and unnoticeable for players to notice in terms of damage mitigation. With the amount of skills in the Monk Skill Tree, there is too little points to bother prioritizing this skill over other more important skills. In the context of practicality, this skill is probably the least important skill in the whole Monk Skill Tree. Besides, Monks are a DPS-focused class, and this skill is only considered as a Skill Point dump when there are no other skills that would benefit the whole build in general (this depends very largely on the type and purpose of respective class builds.

• Point Distribution: (0 - Remaining points/15)

In my honest opinion, this skill is last priority in most Monk builds (other than certain builds, for example Auto-Attack builds with Chaplain who only needs Monk for CC, Attack Speed and have not much need for such damage over their Auto-Attack damage, defensive class builds in general, etc).

15 points, little returns, can’t be enhanced, only affects physical damage, this skill is just overall a bad defensive skill for a DPS class like Monk. ONLY add points into this skill if it fulfills any sort of purpose you might need, or if there is REALLY nothing else to put points into (unlikely).

image [Double Punch]

Description

[Buff] - [Physical]

Use your trained fists to attack an enemy in quick succession. Basic attacks apply as two-handed.

• ​Basic Attack Speed: + [Skill Level * 20]
    Cooldown: No Cooldown
    0 SP
    *Skill Factor: 100% divided into two fake multi-hits

Attributes

[Double Punch: Enhance] image
(Max level 100)

• Increases the skill factor of [Double Punch] by 0.5% per attribute level
  • Double Punch Lvl 1 and above

Explanation

One of the major changes to Monk are the changes towards the skill [Double Punch]. What used to be a spammable, 0 cooldown, Bread-and-Butter main DPS skill has now taken the furthest back seat and is reworked to be a stance that converts your Auto-Attack into a [Double Punch] animation. While in this stance, Monks gained increased Basic Attack Speed (ONLY affects Auto-Attack Attack Speed). Simply put, [Double Punch] is now an Auto-Attack speed buff.

(Normal [Double Punch])

(Monk Special Costume Effect)

• The skill works as an ON/OFF trigger. Tap the skill once to enter a [Double Punch] stance where your Auto-Attack is changed into a [Double Punch] animation. While in this stance, your Basic Attack Speed is increased, only affecting Auto-attacks.

• In this stance, your [Double Punch] Auto-Attack deals 2 fake multi-hits that totals up into 100% ([Physical] - [Strike] - [ATK speed]). Increasing skill points in [Double Punch] does not increase [Double Punch] damage.

• During this stance, your [Double Punch] Auto-Attacks also procs Auto-Attack buffs.

• You can [Double Punch] while jumping.

• [Double Punch] is not affected by [Golden Bell Shield] (NOTE: This may be a bug. While I have tested and seen no damage increase, I’ve been told it MAY be a bug)

Discussing this skill takes some time due to how [Double Punch] now works in an Auto-Attack setting, inevitably tying its discussion to another class well-known for Auto-Attacking, Chaplain. Because of that, a proper discussion about Auto-Attack is needed to determine [Double Punch]'s place in the Auto-Attack combo, which I will discuss further down in [Overall Skill Point Distribution for Monk]

In a nutshell, the breakdown basically serves to show that [Double Punch] offers little in terms of Auto-Attack DPS, Its not recommended to take Monk solely for Auto-Attack DPS. [Double Punch] does provides a few benefits though, such as:

• [Double Punch] normalizes the speed of Auto-Attacks to the speed of 1H-Mace Auto-Attacks. Auto-Attacks with 2H-Maces are slower than other Auto-Attacks in general, and 1H-Maces are usually desired for Auto-Attacking builds. [Double Punch] allows such builds to use 2H-Maces and gain access to 2H- Mace attributes without facing its slow Auto-Attack speed.

• [Double Punch] allows enhancing Auto-Attack damage (only the base 100% Auto-Attack damage, not any buffs that come with it).

• [Double Punch] helps in breaking structures as it hits twice.

• A Chaplain may be lacking points to max Binatio, a skill that increases Attack Speed, and may want to max [Double Punch] to get enough Attack Speed while letting Chaplains have more skill points to move around.

With that said, [Double Punch] makes the hitbox of Auto-Attacks smaller horizontally (fixed with Inquisitor’s Breaking Wheel), as compared to Auto-Attacks from a 2H- Mace or 1H-Mace. Furthermore, it is a very worth trade-off to take a different class and use a 1H-Mace with its desirable Auto-Attack speed over taking Monk for [Double Punch] as different classes usually have skills to make up for the lack of taking a 2H-Mace and damage (from 2H-Mace and Double Punch: Enhances,which isn’t that much compared to the whole picture).

Increasing points into [Double Punch] merely increases Basic Attack Speed (only affects Auto-Attacks), which is easily remedied with getting DEX from armor and having at least 2 classes, including Monk, that has good DEX stat growths, in order to get optimal Auto-Attack speed of dealing 2.5 - 3 Auto-Attacks per second. In reality, maxing [Double Punch] is only for Monks who want to rely on [Double Punch] to do damage, and does not have a single class other than Monk that has good DEX stat growths to increase Auto-Attack speed. Even with that, [Double Punch] is a weak skill as it is technically just an Auto-Attack reskin that can be powered up a little bit at the cost of 100,000+ attribute points (1 attribute point is 1000 silver, mind you).

While [Double Punch] used to be the main damage skill of Monks before Re:Build, [Double Punch]'s damage is simply too lackluster to use, and Monks have been reworked so their main damage is derived from other skills instead.

• Point Distribution: (1 - Remaining points/15)

[Double Punch]'s main worth is now simply to be an Attack Speed buff for Auto-Attacks, and as such, has no place in the grand scheme of dealing DPS unless an Auto-Attack build is considered that needs some Auto-Attack speed (unlikely, Monk + Chaplain gives 2 classes with good DEX stat growths) and for some damage, by which [Double Punch]'s impact is minor at best in the grand scheme of Auto-Attack damage. Feel free to add more points into this skill IF you lack the Attack Speed for your Auto-Attacks.

With that said, its nice to take this skill at 1 point just to get a 0 SP cost 2-hit attack that can help break structures. With enough DEX and Attack Speed, one can enjoy the same benefits of having [Double Punch] at a high Level even at Level 1 due to certain limitations making diminishing returns to investing in Attack Speed for Auto-Attacks. Increasing levels in [Double Punch] only increases Basic Attack Speed, so there’s no need to add any more once you are able to hit 2.5 - 3 Auto-Attacks per second (can be achieved even with [Double Punch] Level 1 with the right equipment and build). Besides, being able to enhance your Auto-Attack is nice for filler … right?

Give this skill a skip if you have no interest in such things though.

image [Palm Strike]

Description

Use your trained fingertips to attack the enemy by inflicting an internal injury. Ignores part of the enemy’s defense.

• Skill Factor: [346 + (Skil Level - 1) * 11.5]%
    AoE Attack Ratio: [+6, depends on character’s AoE Attack Ratio]
    Ignores [ 0.5 * Skill Level]% of enemy defense
    4 Overheat
    95 SP

Attributes

[Palm Strike: Enhance] image
(Max level 100)

• Increases the skill factor of [Palm Strike] by 0.5% per attribute level
  • Palm Strike Lvl 1 and above
  • Get this attribute up to Lvl 60 first when you’re funded enough, please max this if well-funded enough

Explanation

One of the Monk’s strongest DPS skill, this skill basically makes a Monk perform a forward hand strike, enough said.

• Press this skill to deal [Strike] - [Physical] damage to enemies in front of you that ignores a portion of an enemy’s defense

• One of Monk’s main DPS skills that is affected by Attack Speed. The skill needs sufficient DEX and Attack Speed, by which otherwise it feels sluggish to use (usually happens when a class build only consists of 1 class with good DEX stat growths AKA only Monk).

• [Palm Strike] combos into another skill, [Hand Knife]. This skill combo will be explained later with the [Hand Knife] skill.

• You can [Palm Strike] while jumping. This skill can also be animation-cancelled

For Monks, [Palm Strike] is a Monk’s hardest hitting and most reliable skill DPS-wise in Monk’s entire skill-set. Good simple damage, 4 Overheats, [Physical] - [Strike], this skill should be prioritized during Buff/Debuff phases in fights, solo and party, with any Monk build. Increasing skill levels in [Palm Strike] also increases the amount of defense ignored with this skill (0.5% at level 1, 7.5% at max level). While this amount isn’t much, any boost in [Palm Strike] is always welcomed. In most Monk builds, this skill should be maxed for optimal DPS. Keep in mind though, that the armor ignore of this skill only specifically applies to this skill only.

With that said, this skill is affected by Attack Speed. A Monk lacking in DEX can see themselves taking about 0.6-0.7 seconds using this skill (even longer with bad ping), as compared to 0.3 seconds with good Attack Speed. This becomes all the more important, not only to make time for other skills, but to be able to squeeze all Overheats [Palm Strike] fast enough in Buff/Debuff phases. This skill also combos into [Hand Knife], and the combo mechanics behind this is also another reason behind the importance of Attack Speed with [Palm Strike].

• Point Distribution: (1 or 15/15)

There’s no question that a DPS class exists to deal strong DPS, and any way to maximize DPS is always welcomed. [Palm Strike] is one of your main DPS skills (also the most reliable one too), and in my opinion, this skill is of first priority to max. There aren’t a lot of builds that require Monks to allocate points elsewhere to the point of not being able to max [Palm Strike].

A small reminder, 1 level in [Palm Strike] is also a requirement for adding points in and using [Hand Knife].

image [Hand Knife]

Description

Strike with a powerful hand knife to deal damage on an enemy. Hand Knife can be used after Palm Strike. Deals additional damage proportional to the enemy’s SPR (additional damage does not exceed your character’s maximum attack).

• Skill Factor: [428 + (Skill Level - 1) * 14.2]%
    AoE Attack Ratio: [+10, depends on character’s AoE Attack Ratio]
    Cooldown: 0 seconds
    123 SP
    *Additional damage based on enemy’s SPR up to 100% maximum attack

Attributes

[Hand Knife: Enhance] image
(Max level 100)

• Increases the skill factor of [Hand Knife] by 0.5% per attribute level
  • Hand Knife Lvl 1 and above
  • Get this attribute up to Lvl 60 first when you’re funded enough, please max this if well-funded enough

[Hand Knife: Armor Break] image
(Max level 5)

• [Hand Knife] attacks ignore the enemy’s defense by 1.5% per attribute level
  • Increases SP consumption by 30%​
  • Character Lv 300 and above
  • Get this attribute maxed as soon as possible

Explanation

[Hand Knife] is another one of a Monk’s best DPS skill, though a bit troublesome to use due to its CC.

• [Hand Knife] can only be used after [Palm Strike]. No other skill can combo into this skill.

• After [Palm Strike] is used, a 1 second buff is applied to you where [Hand Knife] can be used in that duration.

• The buff disappears after the duration ends or after [Hand Knife] is used, meaning that [Hand Knife] can only be used once after every [Palm Strike], totaling up to 4 “Overheats” of [Hand Knife] with every 4 Overheats of [Palm Strike].

• You are free to use any skill after [Palm Strike] and before [Hand Knife] as long as [Hand Knife] is used within the 1 second buff window.

• You can simply spam [Palm Strike] and ignore using [Hand Knife] if you wish to.

• This skill does additional damage based on enemy’s SPR up to 100% of your maximum attack. This additional damage is not affected by skill factor and enhance attributes.

• This skill has a huge Knockdown CC effect.

• You can [Hand Knife] while jumping, though it is ill-advised to do so since this skill requires using [Palm Strike] first, so there’s not much time to use it. This skill can also be animation-cancelled

[Hand Knife] received one of the biggest changes in Re:Build, being a strong DPS skill that requires only 1 skill point to max and is only usable after using [Palm Strike]. While this skill is in-line with [Palm Strike] as one of a Monk’s main DPS skill, the CC from this skill requires some careful use, otherwise gaining the hatred of fellow party members in the process. This skill is one of a Monk’s best mobbing skill given its AoE Attack Ratio and its range too, though its Knockdown CC needs some careful use. In most cases, this skill should be used in tandem with [Palm Strike] during Buff/Debuff phases to deal maximum damage.

This skill also benefits greatly from increased Attack Speed, not only due being affected by it, but also due to the combo mechanic behind [Palm Strike] and [Hand Knife]. The 1 second buff window starts counting down the moment BEFORE [Palm Strike] starts hitting. Depending on how slow one uses [Palm Strike] be it because of low Attack Speed, bad ping or even getting CC-ed, it is entirely possible to miss the buff window, thus not being able to use [Hand Knife]. Getting some Attack Speed fixes this problem, though bad ping players may need to watch out or get more Attack Speed.

The Knockdown of [Hand Knife] causes monsters to get knocked high up from [Hand Knife] before coming back down and bouncing a bit into a Knockdown state. During the Knockdown motion of getting knocked high up to when enemies fall, monsters can’t be hit properly by Melee DPS players, particularly Swordsmen, due to them being that high up and away from the reaches of Melee DPS characters, leaving only Magic Skills and Ranged target skills to be able to hit them. The only reliable time to hit monsters after this CC is after they reach the floor from falling down, which takes about 1 second. With that said, it becomes a bit troublesome to combo [Palm Strike] and [Hand Knife].

This combo is very simple in a Boss fight where they can’t be Knocked down. Just spam the combo as fast as possible any time, especially in Buff/Debuff phases. However, with mobs this becomes a bit different. Choices are as follows:

1. Use only [Palm Strike] and avoid using [Hand Knife]
  2. Use [Palm Strike] and [Hand Knife], and repeat using [Palm Strike] only until mobs fall before using [Hand Knife]
  3. Use [Palm Strike] and [Hand Knife] timely so [Hand Knife] hits monsters just as they’re landing.
  4. Use [Palm Strike] and [Hand Knife], jump and [Palm Strike] enemies in the air and [Hand Knife] enemies at when both you and the enemy falls, and repeat.

Monks should be careful and decide on which choice to go for depending on the situation. The first option may be the most party-friendly option, but you lose out on not using one of your main DPS skills. The second option is a bit less of a compromise, though you lose out on an “Overheat” of [Hand Knife] or two. The third option seems like the best, but I’ve seen countless times players who just stop and stare and the mob juggling (along with Monk’s [Energy Blast]) since they can’t hit anything while you do so (sometimes I’ve seen players who even call out not to use that skill in Challenge Mode at times). The fourth one is quite tricky especially with high ping and low Attack Speed. Having less Attack Speed will not allow you to jump in time to [Palm Strike] enemies in the air after [Hand Knife] and fall in time to use [Hand Knife] when landing. Furthermore, its quite irritating to do, jumping and hitting things.

The best suggestion I can give though, is to use this skill with the best intentions of not annoying your party members as much, or just be geared enough to solo mobs and kill them by yourself/before your party members come. With all that said, [Hand Knife] is still one of Monk’s strongest skills to DPS with. Just use in moderation and with caution.

• Point Distribution: (1/1)

Another one of Monk’s DPS main DPS skills to max, and it only needs 1 point to max. Despite how tedious the Knockdown CC of this skill, the Knockdown also serves as a powerful mob CC when it gets too chaotic to manage mobs. In any case, a 1-point wonder for the things it does. There is no reason to not add this skill. Keep in mind that [Palm Strike] must be learned at level 1 at least in order to put a skill point into [Hand Knife]. Just another one of Monk’s skills that is first priority to max.

image [Energy Blast]

Description

​ [Physical] - [Holy]

Harness energy and release it in front of you, dealing damage and pushing back all enemies in your path. Enemies under the Divine Stigma debuff receive twice the hits from Energy Blast.

• Skill Factor: [150 + (Skill Level - 1) * 7.5]% per hit
    [ 35 + (Skill Level) * 1] SP per second
    *4 hits at Level 1, 17 hits at Level 10 (about ~1.3 hits per second, rounded up)

Attributes

[Energy Blast: Enhance] image
(Max level 100)

• Increases the skill factor of [Energy Blast] by 0.5% per attribute level
  • Energy Blast Lvl 1 and above
  • If you are getting this skill at Level 1 for the Knockback and Knockdown, don’t bother with this. Otherwise, get this attribute up to Lvl 60 first when you’re funded enough, optional to max

Ktest Notes: Will be introducing an attribute to remove Knockback and Knockdown for the skill. Will add when the attribute goes live on iToS

Explanation

[Energy Blast] is a charge-and-channel skill, quite different from all the Attack-Speed reliant skills that have been introduced in the Monk skill tree as of now.

• To use this skill, press and hold [Energy Blast]. The power of [Energy Blast] depends on how long you hold the skill and how many skill points have been added to [Energy Blast] (0.5 seconds added per skill level). After reaching a sufficient charge, face the enemy and stop holding [Energy Blast] to channel a holy beam (1 hit every 0.3 second, last hit takes 1 second).

• [Energy Blast] takes 5 seconds to charge fully no matter how many skill points added into the skill. For example, if you only added 1 point, it takes 5 seconds to charge level 1. If you added 5 points, it takes 1 second to charge level 1, and 5 seconds to charge fully (5 seconds / skill level).

• The amount of hits this skill does is separately affected by how long you take to charge this skill. For example, unleashing a level 1 [Energy Blast] after charging for 5 seconds (if you only add 1 point in the skill) does more hits than charging a level 1 [Energy Blast] after charging for 0.5 seconds (if you max the skill).

• This skill deals Knockback and Knockdown CC.

• During the charging of this skill, the user gains a “Surespell” effect that allows uninterrupted charging even when getting hit by mobs

• [Energy Blast] has a rather long vertical hitbox, but doesn’t have that great of a horizontal hitbox.

• You can cancel charging [Energy Blast] by jumping while moving and holding [Energy Blast], then releasing [Energy Blast] while in the air.

• It is possible to run while charging this skill, but it is impossible to move at all once this skill is used. You are only able to move after the end of this skill.

• [Synergy] Krivis’ Divine Stigma: Enemies under the Divine Stigma debuff receive twice the hits from Energy Blast

• [Synergy] Cryomancer’s Ice Wall: You can use this skill to trigger all Ice Walls as long as they are within [Energy Blast]'s range (there are better skills to fulfill this role though)

[Energy Blast] is a bit of a controversial skill. At max level, this skill requires at least 11 seconds (5 seconds from charging up, 6 seconds of using the skill) not counting in time needed to re-position to use this skill effectively. Most of a Monk’s skill set are affected by Attack Speed and a lot of Overheats, and their best use is via spamming them out fast enough to make way for other skills before Monk skills go off cooldown. [Energy Blast] is by far the worst culprit in the overall picture of what skills take the most time (11+ seconds used in a 20 second DPS rotation window). With that said, Energy Blast has quite a few quirks, being a Knockdown skill with one of the strongest Knockbacks in the game, and not really dealing much damage in exchange for the amount of time allocated for the skill. Due to this, some Monks have skipped this skill to make way for other skills and have more skill points to throw around with.

This skill requires 11+ seconds to use at max level, and deals 217% damage every 0.3 seconds. In terms of DPS, this skill is worse than Auto-Attacking with Chaplain buffs and proper Attack Speed (hits about the same rate, Auto-Attack with Aspergillum alone already deals 232% with no charging needed). While this skill may feel like a mobbing skill with its huge vertical hitbox, the horizontal hitbox of this skill leaves much to be desired, and proper positioning is needed when using this on mobs. With that said, this skill’s insane Knockback is enough to even send monsters out of your screen and out of the attack’s range, thus losing damage on such monsters.

In a mobbing situation, the only way to use this skill as a DPS is to lure mobs near a wall and fire [Energy Blast] such that they get knocked back towards the wall so they get the full brunt of the skill’s damage, basically calling the need of a wall to utilize [Energy Blast] as a mobbing skill. Furthermore, the amount of time needed to get this skill ready (max charge is a must with this skill’s lack of damage) guarantees that it is impossible to set up certain buffs and debuffs to fully maximize use of skill, especially in Buff/Debuff phases, making this rather lackluster skill a bit limited to boost.

The only time where this skill may find decent use in terms of DPS is in accordance with 3 skills:

• Deploy Cappella

Deploy Cappella increases holy damage by 100% (160%) maxed, which is a nice boost for [Energy Blast]. However, the duration and cooldown of the skill when paired with [Energy Blast] leaves a weird mismatch in timing with both skills. Furthermore, only one [Energy Blast] can be used per Deploy Cappella (this costs money) if you’re the only one with the skill (1 out of 3 [Energy Blast] benefits from Deploy Cappella if spammed off cooldown, or 1 [Energy Blast] used only with Deploy Cappella, making its DPS do more or less the same as without Deploy Cappella). Other builds are better at using Deploy Cappella’s holy damage compared to [Energy Blast].

• Death Sentence

Death Sentence applies a debuff to enemies that increases the amount of damage applied to them (80% at max enhance), thus boosting damage not only from yourself, but from everyone attacking those debuffed enemies. With that said, [Energy Blast]'s damage is still lackluster in general to make the best use out of Death Sentence. Death Sentence’s uptime and effect is also halved on bosses from 80% for 25 seconds to 40% for 12.5 seconds, which is a tight timeframe to use [Energy Blast] and a huge damage loss. With the cooldown reset attribute on Death Sentence, the skill’s use with [Energy Blast] is only best used with mobs.

• Divine Stigma

Divine Stigma applies a Damage-over-Time debuff onto enemies that also increases the amount of damage applied to them, just like Death Sentence (50%). It also has a synergy with [Energy Blast] where its hits are doubled on monsters debuffed by Divine Stigma. With the increased damage effect and double hit effect of Divine Stigma, [Energy Blast] actually becomes one of Monk’s strongest DPS skill. Divine Stigma only affects 5 mobs at a time, however, which makes this increase in damage limited for mobbing and more of a Bossing skill which is weird considering [Energy Blast]'s mobbing potential.

While these 3 skills provide some boosts for [Energy Blast] (Divine Stigma being the most desirable), each of these skills have their own downsides and also forces Monks to take certain classes to make use of it. The time required to use [Energy Blast], its damage, the amount of skill points needed, the damage it has in comparison to the time spent charging it, the inability to use other skills while charging [Energy Blast], how most of a Monk’s skill rotation time is taken up by this skill, how its damage is only remotely worth on Holy-Weak opponents, etc etc … the list goes on and on with regards to this skill’s downsides. Unless this skill gains buffs of any sort, this skill is worth skipping in terms of DPS other than certain situations.

[Energy Blast] works as a fun CC for juggling mobs on walls of solo play if you’re out of skills to use, though 11+ seconds used on this skill is better used on dealing more damage and killing mobs.

• Point Distribution: (0/10) *

In terms of DPS, this skill lacks damage to make up for the time spent on using this skill. In terms of mobbing, this skill is held back by a very linear and narrow hitbox combined with a Knockdown that comes with the worst Knockback in the game, thus requiring this skill to be used to hit monsters against the wall (yes, Monks need a wall) for them to gain the skill’s full damage. 11+ seconds is a very long time to invest in such a skill, and is better off investing in skills from other classes to make better use of the time. All in all, a skill worth skipping over entirely.

*The only exception where this skill is worth maxing is only as a DPS skill with Divine Stigma, especially on a Holy-Weak enemy. Only in this case is [Energy Blast] worth considering to max (10/10). With that said, Divine Stigma’s use in a mobbing scenario is limited at best, and is used more as a bossing debuff skill, thus limiting [Energy Blast]'s viability as such too. Should you have skills from other classes that can make better use of Divine Stigma and have more than enough skills to fill the time, please do not hesitate in leaving [Energy Blast] at (0/10) for those skills.

image [One Inch Punch]

Description

Extend your fist from a close distance to destroy the enemy from the inside. The attacked enemy will steadily lose HP and SP.

• Skill Factor: [177 + (Skill Level - 1) * 8.9]%
    Duration: [5 +(Skill Level * 1)] seconds
    4 Overheat
    93 SP

Attributes

[One Inch Punch: Enhance] image
(Max level 100)

• Increases the skill factor of [One Inch Punch] by 0.5% per attribute level
  • One Inch Punch Lvl 1 and above

[One Inch Punch: Silence] image
(Max level 1)

• Enemies hit by [One Inch Punch] will be afflicted with [Silence] for 5 seconds
  • Increases SP consumption by 20%​
  • Character Lv 100 and above
  • Get this attribute as soon as possible

Explanation

[One Inch Punch] is another one of Monk’s skills that got hit hard by the Re:Build patch. What used to be Monk class’s strongest single-hit burst for Buff/Debuff phases has now taken a hit in its damage, and its uses has now changed slightly in accordance with the Re:Build patch and changes in the game content.

• Simply press this skill to hit enemies in front with punch to deal some damage while inflicting Silence and a HP/SP Drain-over-time.

• While in Silence, enemies cannot attack nor use any skills. This debuff also works on Bosses.

• The HP drain from [One Inch Punch] can crit and increase in damage with buffs on physical attack and strike debuffs. This HP drain is not counted as a Bleeding debuff. The damage from this drain can also crit.

• The HP drain and Silence does not stack with using [One Inch Punch] again. This merely refreshes the timer on said debuffs.

• This skill may look like it has a long vertical range, but it’s actually a bit shorter than it looks. Try to stick a bit closer to enemies when using this skill just in case.

• You can [One Inch Punch] while jumping. This skill can also be animation-cancelled

On its own, [One Inch Punch]'s initial hit is quite weak. [One Inch Punch] is not typically used as a DPS skill, but is used mainly for its debuffs. In a PvE setting, this skill serves as CC to Silence enemies (especially bosses), and in a PvP setting, this skill serves to disable other players via Silence and HP/SP drain. Silence is a powerful CC, rendering an enemy unable to counter-attack, and while the HP portion of the drain isn’t much, the SP portion of the drain quite great in disabling players further by destroying their SP pool before they get out of Silence debuff. In PvP, this skill becomes a very good disable and debuff. In PvE, the damage from the HP drain isn’t really much to be considered proper DPS, though its damage can actually a little decent with buffs and debuffs due to it being a Damage-over-Time requiring very little time to apply. A CC skill more than a damage skill, this is not a skill that’s typically used for mobbing.

The bulk of the damage of this skill (however meager it may be) comes from the HP drain of the skill. Its damage isn’t significant enough to warrant using [One Inch Punch] ONLY after the HP drain debuff ends, over the CC benefits of this skill when in a pinch. Testing out the HP drain shows that it deals about 100% of your physical attack per second, is affected by defense modifiers, isn’t boosted by enhance attributes nor skill level, and can be boosted by buffs and debuffs. With a bit of calculation to compare its usage (assuming enhance attributes are maxed Lvl 100, HP drain at 100% and no damage boosts for the simplicity of calculation):

1. Spamming all 4 Overheats of [One Inch Punch] Lvl 10
    = 4(411%) + 16(100%)
    = 3244% over a period of 21 seconds
    = ~154% damage per second

2. Letting enemies bleed out for the full duration from 4 Overheats of [One Inch Punch] Lvl 1
    = 4(283%) + 24(100%)
    = 3532% over 38 seconds
    = ~92% damage per second

3. Letting enemies bleed out for the full duration from 4 Overheats of [One Inch Punch] Lvl 10
    = 4(411%) + 45(100%)
    = 6144% over 65 seconds
    = ~94% damage per second

4. Spamming [One Inch Punch] Lvl 1 for 20 seconds of Silence continuously
    = 4(283%) + 21(100%)
    = 3232% over 35 seconds
    = ~92% damage per second

5. Spamming [One Inch Punch] Lvl 10 for 20 seconds of Silence continuously
    = 4(411%) + 30(100%)
    = 4644% over 35 seconds
    = ~162% damage per second

From these calculations, using this skill in most scenarios do not really offer much significant differences DPS wise. While 1. and 5. may look like they have increased DPS, this is simply from the increased damage of the skill’s initial hit from maxing [One Inch Punch]. This skill theoretically does the most damage at 3., but keep in mind that 65 seconds is needed to get that much damage, and in the other 4 cases that amount of time is enough for [One Inch Punch] to go off cooldown to fire another 4 Overheats of [One Inch Punch]. All in all, DPS from all 5 cases aren’t really that much different in practice.

Since there is not really much difference in damage and DPS in all 5 cases, there is no need to worry about losing damage in terms of HP drain, and the only thing you need to worry about is how much use you get out of the Silence. While 5. may be the ideal way to use [One Inch Punch], Monks can instead go for using [One Inch Punch] only when enemies are about to attack, thus technically “extending” the amount of time enemies stay disabled.

With all that said, in the min-maxing of things, it is possible to boost the damage from HP drain. The HP drain damage is affected by:

• Buffs that power up your physical attack (Fanaticism, Lycanthrophy, etc)
  • Additional Property Damage (Fire Property etc)
  • Buffs that give additional damage (Aukuras, Blessing etc)
  • Debuffs pertaining to the enemy’s physical defense (Immolation, Coursing, etc)
  • Debuffs pertaining to damage received on enemies (Death Sentence, Divine Stigma, etc)
  • Additional Strike damage Debuff ([God Finger Flick], Headbutt, etc)

All these factors are readily available in the Cleric Class Tree and in other Class Trees to boost its damage to surprising degrees of damage. If stacked right, the damage from [One Inch Punch] can be boosted to decent levels to contribute as a DPS. While [One Inch Punch] isn’t really a skill used for DPS, it is good to know this skill can be boosted as such. In the end, there is little difference in using [One Inch Punch] in most cases, and is better off as a Silence disable CC.

• Point Distribution: (At least 1/10)

For most Monks, the main benefit of getting this skill is its ability to inflict Silence on enemies as a disable, which is obtainable at Lvl 1 already. While increasing levels into [One Inch Punch] increases both the skill’s initial hit damage and duration of HP/SP drain, the damage from its initial hit is nothing noteworthy to care about in terms of damage. The HP drain of this skill may be worth mentioning with certain factors stacked in its favor, but its not something game-changing or powerful enough to be worth considering maxing [One Inch Punch] over. With that said, the SP drain proves to be very useful and even debilitating in a PvP fight, and longer durations of SP drain is always appreciated.

Its general utility is fulfilled at Lvl 1, and I do recommend getting this skill at least at Lvl 1. With that said, some players can find use in its longer SP drain debuff or may have certain factors in their build to make some use out of its HP drain damage, and may want to increase or even this skill out solely for that purpose, which is a fine reason to do so.

image [God Finger Flick]

Description

​[Strike] - [Physical]

Throw a coin by using the tip of your finger to inflict damage on an enemy. The target receives additional Strike damage for a period of time.

• Skill Factor: [309 + (Skill Level - 1) * 15.5]%
    Consumes 1 Silver
    Cooldown: 25 seconds
    4 Overheat
    89 SP
    *Debuff duration lasts 5 seconds (in kTest it is changed to 10 seconds)

Attributes

[God Finger Flick: Enhance] image
(Max level 100)

• Increases the skill factor of [God Finger Flick] by 0.5% per attribute level
  • God Finger Flick Lvl 1 and above

Explanation

[God Finger Flick] is one of Monk’s damage boosting skill that is usually reserved for single targets, or just to chase down fleeing enemies. In terms of damage alone, this skill is one of Monk’s hardest hitting damage skill, though its limited as a DPS skill due to not being affected by Attack Speed, and limited to bossing in PvE due to its single target nature. With that said, this skill is actually used more as a debuff skill instead of a DPS skill, and should be used as such. In PvP, this skill is mostly used to hit enemies away from you. While this skill has gained Overheats since the advent of the Re:Build patch, the debuff uptime has not changed that much.

• Aim at a enemy and press this skill to flick a coin that’s targetted to an enemy, using up 1 Silver (LOL). The enemy hit by this attack is debuffed by a Strike Debuff that increases Strike Damage done to this enemy by 50%.

• The Strike Debuff of this skill lasts 5 seconds. In kTest, this debuff lasts 10 seconds.

• You can [God Finger Flick] while jumping. I prefer to use it this way so I can move while applying Strike Debuffs.

There is nothing extensive that can really be said about this skill as a skill whose main purpose is to boost Strike-Based damage. While its one of Monk’s strongest damage, its limitation of hitting only one target and not being affected by Attack Speed holds it back, thus its role as a debuff skill instead. For Monks, this skill’s utilization is towards upkeeping its Strike Debuff as long as needed to use Monk’s Strike skills, [Palm Strike], [Hand Knife], [One Inch Punch], [Double Punch], Strike-Based skills from other Classes such as [Smite], and even the next Overheat of [God Finger Flick].

When used in a combo in a boss fight:

• Use [God Finger Flick] first to apply the debuff.
  • Spam as many Strike-Based damage skills as possible.
  • If there is not enough time to use all Strike-Based skills, use [God Finger Flick] again before the debuff ends so it benefits from the debuff.
  • If all Strike-Based skills are used up, the combo ends. Save [God Finger Flick] for until those DPS skills are off cooldown.
  • Repeat starting from the top.

As the debuff only lasts 5 seconds, this requires Monks to really squeeze in as much Strike-Based damage skills as possible while making sure to leave time for the next [God Finger Flick] should there be more skills to spam. This weaving of skills makes stacking Attack Speed all the more important when coupled with the fact that most Strike-Based skills in the Cleric Tree are affected by Attack Speed ([God Finger Flick] being one of those skills that aren’t affected by Attack Speed). Having more Attack Speed allows Monks to spam as many skills as possible in the time frame before refreshing its Strike Debuff.

The cooldown of this skill is a bit inconvenient at 25 seconds as compared to most of Monk’s skills at 20 seconds, and depending on how fast you can spam Strike skills, there will be instances where [God Finger Flick] is not available in time for skills such as [Palm Strike] and [Hand Knife]. Being able to spam skills fast allows Monks to save Overheats of [God Finger Flick] for the next rotation of Strike-Based skills, which leads to better DPS overall as compared to using up all 4 Overheats of [God Finger Flick] per Strike-Based skill rotations.

An interesting thing to note is that using this skill on Inquisitor’s Breaking Wheel allows [God Finger Flick] to be applied to enemies around it, this allowing the skill to hit more than 1 enemy making it viable as a mobbing skill

*kTest: The debuff duration of this skill has increased to 10 seconds, giving more leeway for Monk skills, especially for those who do not have enough Attack Speed to spam Monk skills. With that said, its still important to get a lot of Attack Speed to spend less time using [God Finger Flick] so it can be saved for the next DPS rotation. More meaningful uptime on Strike Debuff is always great.

• Point Distribution: (At least 1/10)

[God Finger Flick] is Monk’s Strike Debuff skill to boost Strike-Based damage by 50% as long as the debuff is up (5 seconds, in kTest this is bumped up to 10 seconds), which is huge. While this skill does not benefit from Attack Speed, Attack Speed is really needed to squeeze in as many Strike-Based damage during its debuff period as fast as possible. All in all, this makes the skill a must for increasing damage for bossing, making it a must add for at least 1 point to get its utility.

Beyond that, one can add more skill points into this skill for more single target damage as this skill actually has quite a decent damage assuming players can chain skills during its debuff duration and use [God Finger Flick] before the debuff ends. With an Inquisitor’s Breaking Wheel, [God Finger Flick] can also be used to deal decent AoE damage to everyone around the Wheel while giving them Strike debuffs, and do the same skill chaining on the wheel.

Otherwise, you may leave this skill at Level 1 to leave points for other skills.

image [Golden Bell Shield]

Description

​[Buff] - [Physical]

Use to reset the cooldown time and momentarily increase the damage of Monk skills.

• ​Monk Skill Damage: + [ 10 * Skill Level]%
    Duration: 10 seconds
    Cooldown: 1 minute
    250 SP

Explanation

Monk’s last skill, [Golden Bell Shield], is probably the skill that got hit the hardest with the Re:Build update. What used to be Monk’s invulnerability skill has now turned into a plain old power-up buff and a skill cooldown reset that ONLY affects Monk skills. So much for being a “shield”.

• Press this skill to receive a 10 second buff that increases any Monk skill used by up to 50% during its duration. Using this skill also resets the cooldown of every Monk skill.

• This skill does not increase [Double Punch]'s damage. (NOTE: I’m told this may be a bug, and will update accordingly once I’ve confirmed it being one)

• The buff from this skill cannot be extended with Melstis.

[Golden Bell Shield] is best used in two ways:

• To buff Monk skills and burst down foes during Buff/Debuff phases
  • To reset cooldowns of skills in inconvenient moments

There may be times where Monks do not have their strongest DPS skills, [Palm Strike] and [Hand Knife], or [God Finger Flick] up in time when you are ready to buff yourself/debuff enemies to prepare for your main damage skills, and this skill becomes helpful for that purpose. Even if skills are off cooldown before such situations, this skill can be used to dish out double the amount of [Palm Strike] and [Hand Knife] to burst down foes, or maybe refresh certain CC skills like [One Inch Punch] and [Energy Blast] depending on the situation. Other than that, it can simply be used to buff Monk skills.

[Golden Bell Shield]'s Buff only last 10 seconds, and those 10 seconds are important for Monks to burst down enemies. All Monk skills get buffed, excluding [Double Punch] Auto-Attack, and in this state, Monks are advised to use only Monk skills to burst down enemies. Most Monk skills that are worth spamming in [Golden Bell Shield] is affected by Attack Speed, and being able to squeeze in as much Monk skills as possible depends on how much skills you can fit in during this duration. Due to that, Attack Speed yet again becomes important for Monks to be able to achieve such a feat.

The only Monk skill I would not recommend to use with [Golden Bell Shield] is [Energy Blast]. [Energy Blast] requires at least 5 seconds to charge to full and 6 seconds to channel the skill, totaling to at least +11 seconds not counting in time to reposition. In practice, about half the hits of [Energy Blast] usually does not benefit from [Golden Bell Shield], making [Energy Blast] a bad skill to use with this buff. Besides, there are better skills to prioritize DPS over [Energy Blast].

With that said, the biggest drawback of this skill lies with its long cooldown compared to the duration and damage that this buff gives, especially for an Attack Speed reliant class trying to squeeze all those skills in such short windows. 1 minute is too long for a cooldown for any DPS rotation to depend/benefit much from, and a mere 50% increase for only 10 seconds further dampens this skill’s impact towards DPS rotations. For a damage buff skill, this skill mainly works best as a cooldown reset skill to spam more [Palm Strike] and [Hand Knife].

• Point Distribution: (5/5)

What used to be a Monk’s invulnerability skill is now changed into a trigger to gain a buff to increase Monk’s damage by up to 50%, and also to reset all Monk skill cooldowns. With that said, the long cooldown this skill has, coupled with the duration and damage this skill gives holds it back from making that much of an impact in terms of overall DPS. This skill is mainly used for its cooldown reset on Monk skills to burst down enemies in Buff/Debuff monsters more (particularly with [Palm Strike] and [Hand Knife] on enemies debuffed by [God Finger Flick]), and its damage buff is a bit secondary compared to that

Still, extra damage is great. 50% more damage on [Palm Strike] and [Hand Knife] coupled with being able to reset them right after spamming them for a burst of 8 of them in one go, especially with [God Finger Flick] strike debuff, is a welcomed plus.

[Overall Skill Point Distribution for Monk]

A player can choose to allocate skill points up to personal preferences, and should not be limited to my recommendations should they find some use in a different skill point allocation. With that said, a Monk’s skill build changes depending on the class build and playstyle of each Monk. It is impossible to make a One-Build-Fits-All Point Distribution as players may take Monk for things other than simply DPS, resulting in certain differences in skill build corresponding to their class builds.

A Monk’s core skill build usually starts off as follows:

gqwegqwegqwegqge

*[Double Punch] can be added at 1 point for a bare minimum in every build for helping break structures, but this skill can be skipped from a DPS standpoint. With that said, its just 1 point. No harm taking 1 point unless you really lack points. The only exception for taking more points in [Double Punch] is with Auto-Attack builds. I have written a Break-Down for [Double Punch]'s role in the Double Punch Auto-Attack Break-down, so feel free to read it if you are interested in Auto-Attack Builds with Monk.

Double Punch Auto-Attack Break-down

[About Auto-Attacks]

In a nutshell, Auto-Attacks are every character’s basic attack, dealing 100% of your base attack, be it physical or magic depending on class and weapon. Auto-Attacks are affected by Attack Speed no matter the weapon used, and are special in a sense that only Auto-Attacks can receive certain buffs. With that specialty comes builds that specialize in Auto-Attacks to deal decently-high constant damage mainly from the damage from those buffs, and players in [Double Punch] stance also can consider such builds as [Double Punch] is considered an Auto-Attack, though not as suited to the role as a Chaplain. In the long run, the objective of an Auto-Attack build is to use Auto-Attacks with buffs and hit as fast as possible to deal damage from those buffs.

The stats to consider in such builds are:

• Attack Speed / DEX (the faster you hit, the more damage you deal from buffs)
  • Magic Attack (damage from Auto-Attacks are mainly based buffs using Magic Attack)
  • Physical Attack (you use a physical attack to deal Auto-Attack)
  • SPR (this affects damage to some extent if you are using buffs that require scaling from your SPR)
  • STR / INT (more physical damage/magic damage)

It should be noted that there are different types of Attack Speed:

• Attack Speed affects every skill that has the [ATK speed] tag on it, and hastens its skill animation and hits so skills are used faster, making space for other skills.
  • Basic Attack Speed only affects Auto-Attacks, and does not affect other skills that are usually affected by Attack Speed.

[Weapons for Auto-Attack Builds]

In a Cleric’s Auto-Attack builds, Cleric typically uses melee weapons such as (in order from fastest to slowest Auto-Attack):

Dagger image > 1H-Mace image > 2H-Mace image

• Daggers may have the fastest Auto-Attack, but most of the damage in an Auto-Attack build comes from Auto-Attack buffs. Daggers in a Cleric build are merely stat sticks, and most of the damage of Auto-Attack buffs are derived from the Mainhand weapon. Using Daggers will force you to invest in 2 weapons for “optimal” damage, and may not be worth it over investing in a Shield for its defensive stats.

• 1H-Maces are usually the premier choice for Auto-Attacks due to having a good balance of raw attack, Auto-Attack speed and having certain attributes that benefit equipping it (Increased healing from Cleric attribute, increased magic attack from Kabbalist attribute, etc).

• 2H-Maces may have the highest raw attack out of all the 3 weapons, but a noticeably slow Attack Speed stops it from being a great choice for Auto-Attack Builds.

[Limits of Attack Speed Melee Auto-Attacks]

Melee Auto-Attacks face a delay not seen with other types of Auto-Attacks, causing Auto-Attacks to slow down when hitting enemies, despite being able to hit faster hitting nothing. I refer to this delay as “Hit Delay”, and its this delay that limits the rate on how fast Auto-Attacks can hit. Simply put, stacking Attack Speed for Auto-Attacking has very diminishing returns, and at some point you will not feel any or much benefit from going any further. Before Re:Build, [Double Punch] also received another “Skill Delay” where a 0.05 second delay is added after every [Double Punch]. While it is not confirmed that this is removed in Re:Build, it is still noteworthy to know that such a delay may exist.

After some testing with Auto-Attack and Attack Speed, it’s determined that Melee Auto-Attacks start capping out at 2.5 - 3 Auto-Attacks per second, which at that point there is no or very little reason to increase Auto-Attack Speed any further. This rate also applies to [Double Punch]. Based on experience and number crunching, a Cleric can achieve the minimum Attack Speed necessary for 2.5 Auto-Attacks per second with at least 160+ DEX alone, which is possible to achieve with taking at least 2 classes (Monk is one of those classes) with good DEX stat growths alone. DEX from armor is enough to push that up to 3 Auto-Attacks. Failing to reach that, there are skills available to increase Attack Speed to make up for any lacking factors to reach that rate of Auto-Attack.

[Auto-Attacks and [Double Punch] with other classes]

The components making up Auto-Attack damage in such a build mainly come from:

• Basic Auto-Attack Damage:
    On most Clerics, the skill factor of this is at 100%.
  • Monk
    Monks can use [Double Punch] to increase this to 160% fully enhanced. With a 2H-Mace, this increases further to 176%. Monks also have [God Finger Flick] to boost [Double Punch] damage by 50%.
  • Priest / Pardoner Buffs:
    Buffs from both classes can stack to give additional damage. As the amount varies depending on the Priest and Pardoner, lets assume they give is “P” damage.
  • Additional damage from buffs and property damage:
    Any attack you do can benefit from any additional damage be it from buffs or equipment. For the sake of simplicity, I will group these together with Priest / Pardoner Buffs as P
  • Chaplain Buffs:
    Chaplains make up the main damage of Auto-Attacks, and have 4 skills to contribute damage:
    - Last Rites: Additional damage for Auto-Attacks, but as it overwrites some Priest / Pardoner buffs, this skill is usually not used, thus not calculated in usually.
    - Aspergillum: Adds a [Magic] - [Holy] damage of 132%, 211% when fully enhanced.
    - Deploy Cappella: Increases any [Holy] damage by 100%, up to 160%
    - Visible Talent: Simply applies a 10 second buff where all Auto-Attack damage you do during the buff is accumulated. At the end of 10 seconds, you will receive another buff that allows you to deal the accumulated damage onto a single enemy (capped at 999,999 damage).
  • Zealot Buffs: Immolation gives fire property damage, Fanaticism powers up both physical and magic attack by 80% to boost overall Auto-Attack, and Blind Faith damage is counted into Visible Talent assuming they are triggered using Auto-Attacks. For the simplicity of things, Blind Faith damage will not be included.
  • Inquisitor Skills: Inquisitor has Judgement to turn monsters into Demon types and increase [Holy] damage by 10%, and using Breaking Wheel allows you to hit both enemies and the wheel to do x2 the Auto-Attacks (not including Breaking Wheel for the simplicity of things).

While it is quite unlikely to have all these classes to support Auto-Attacking, lets just assume an extreme situation where the optimal party and class build is in place to bring all these together for the most optimal setting possible (there are more I could add, but I’ll just add the main things for simplicity). With that said, putting these theoretical numbers together, we have:

Auto-Attack Damage (With Monk)
= (160% + [0.1][160%] + [0.5][160] + [0.8][160%] + 211% + [0.8][211%] + [1.6][211%] + [0.1][211%] + P)
= ~1121% + P

Auto-Attack Damage (Without Monk)
= (100% + [0.1][100%] + [0.8][100%] + 211% + [0.8][211%] + [1.6][211%] + [0.1][211%] + P)
= ~927% + P

Monk’s contribution to Auto-Attack Damage (not counting in P)
= 100 ([1121% - 927%] / 1121%)
= ~17%

*For some reason, damage multipliers work additively in Re:Build.

Putting Monk in the Auto-Attack equation in an OPTIMAL setting, Monks contribute 194% skill factor, or less than 17% out of the whole formula while the sheer majority of the damage comes from Chaplain buffs. Visible Talent can be capped rather easily without [Double Punch] and does not need Monk to cap damage. With that said, in the end this is simply calculation on an optimal setting, and various things can change (for example, [God Finger Flick] is a single target debuff skill, and its impractical to use it on mobs, thus reducing Monk’s contribution to the whole formula much further, not taking Zealot, etc). It should be noted that Auto-Attack builds do not simply Auto-Attack, and usually rely on Auto-Attack oriented buffs, skills and utilities that they use to support both themselves and their party members. In a more supportive build, Auto-Attack uptime decreases more from supporting, thus decreasing Auto-Attack DPS and in turn.

It is important to know that while [Double Punch] is shown to hit twice, it is simply a fake multi-hit, meaning that it still only procs 1 buff every two hits / one cast of [Double Punch]. With all that said, Monk role in Auto-Attack DPS is minor in general, and taking Monk solely for Auto-Attacking gives lackluster returns.

From there, the skill build changes depending on individual skill builds. Here are some pointers for your remaining 36 skill points:

• First Priority: [Palm Strike] is your hardest hitting skill. Unless you have a VERY GOOD reason to not put points in this, please max this.

• Second Priority: 3 skills to be considered to max. This is where skill builds start to differ:

• [Energy Blast] should be considered ONLY if you have Krivis’ Divine Stigma and have enough Attack Speed to spam all other Monk skills along with this and have time left to use skills from other Classes. Even then, this skill’s damage is only worth it maxed. Skip this skill otherwise.

• [One Inch Punch] is primarily a CC skill in PvE, but players who do branch out into PvP will find the additional duration of its SP drain useful. The HP drain of this skill also benefits from things like physical attack buffs, armor debuffs and increased damage debuffs too. If you plan on making use of such things, feel free to add more points or even max this skill.

• [God Finger Flick] may be a single-target skill and find limited use dealing damage on mobs, but having an Inquisitor’s Breaking Wheel allows this skill to hit enemies around the wheel and debuff them at the same time. For those who want to make use of Inquisitor’s Breaking Wheel, or simply want more single target damage ([God Finger Flick] is a decent damage skill after all), feel free to add more points or max this skill.

• Last Priority: [Iron Skin] and [Double Punch] are your skill point dumps only if you have no more skills to add points into (probably not that much points too). Feel free to pick either skills as both skills do not give much. I personally recommend [Double Punch] just so you can hit a little faster with Auto-Attacks to break structures or capitalize on [Golden Bell Shield] to some extent.

• Exceptions:

• In an Auto-Attack build where you do more overall DPS spamming or simply prefer Auto-Attacks than using skills, players would probably want to prioritize [Double Punch], maybe even sacrificing points from [Palm Strike] to get enough Attack Speed to hit 3 Auto-Attacks per second. While builds invested in DEX and having 2 classes in the class build with good DEX growths is usually enough for players to reach that hit rate without maxing [Double Punch], different builds may need the extra boost by maxing [Double Punch]. The only way to know how many points to add for [Double Punch] is to personally test point-by-point on a target if you have reached that hit rate before stopping.

• Defensive builds stacking in physical defense buffs may want to pick Monk for [Iron Skin] as priority and max it.

Class Attributes

[Two-handed Blunt Mastery: Monk] image
(Max level 1)

​* Increases block penetration by 85 when equipping a [Two-handed Blunt] weapon​
Character Lv 100 and above

• Max this attribute as soon as possible

[Rotation]

This rotation assumes all skills are learnt and used, and does not include skills from other Classes. Feel free to use this information to create a rotation based on your unique Class build with Class skills from other classes:

(Subject to changes once IMC fixes [Double Punch] not working with [Golden Bell Shield] or if its intended that way)

• [A]: Your main DPS combo, using [God Finger Flick] and [One Inch Punch], then all overheats of [Palm Strike] + [Hand Knife] as fast as possible within [God Finger Flick]'s debuff. If you are unable to do so, repeat the combo starting with [God Finger Flick] before the debuff ends. [One Inch Punch] can be left out and saved to CC enemies. Use this combo off cooldown whenever possible.

• It is alright to skip [God Finger Flick] when fighting mobs and if you do not have an Inquisitor’s Breaking Wheel to spread [God Finger Flick] damage and debuff.
  • [B]: Your second DPS combo, using [God Finger Flick] and [One Inch Punch] to deal Damage-over-Time while CC-ing monsters to use [Energy Blast].

• With that said, [Energy Blast] isn’t the best DPS skill unless you have Krivis’ Divine Stigma. Skip this combo if you do not have [Energy Blast] and/or Krivis’ Divine Stigma
  • [C]: Your filler combo until [Palm Strike] is off cooldown. Simply weave between [One Inch Punch] to CC enemies and [Double Punch] as filler. As the damage from these two skills aren’t really that great, [God Finger Flick] is saved for [Palm Strike] and [Hand Knife].

• This part of the combo is simply filler, and is usually where Monks use skills from other classes (for example, Cleric’s [Smite] before combo [A] is available again
  • [GBS]: Your strongest DPS combo during [Golden Bell Shield] buff. This combo uses combo [A], then [God Finger Flick], followed by spamming all Overheats of [One Inch Punch]. End off the combo with [Energy Blast] since you do not have anymore noteworthy skills to spam. and proceed to [C]

• Its best to use this combo after combo [A] to spam more [Palm Strike] and [Hand Knife] during Buff/Debuff phases to, or when [God Finger Flick]‘s cooldown is way off with the rest of your skills’ cooldown.

• You can of course spam [God Finger Flick] in this combo, but please make sure to leave an Overheat or two for debuffing enemies. This skill serves its purpose best as a debuff and its DPS isn’t that great due to it not having Attack Speed scaling.

• If you are an Auto-Attack build using [Double Punch], there is no need for a rotation, just [Double Punch] and use other Monk skills to debuff and CC accordingly. Your main priority is giving Auto-Attacks as much uptime as possible and spending as little time as possible on skills unless they deal more damage DPS-wise than Auto-Attacks. Ignore [Golden Bell Shield] since it does not boost [Double Punch]'s damage for some reason (could be a bug).

While Monks typically have access to combo [A], Monks may be unable to use combo [B] since [Energy Blast] is usually reserved for Monks who take Krivis in their builds, and combo [C] is simply filler.

The best time for Monks to use skills from other classes is:

• Replacing combo [C] with skills from other Classes, or
  • Replacing combo [B] and combo [C] with skills from other Classes if [Energy Blast] is not used.

During this time, [One Inch Punch] is reserved as CC and [God Finger Flick] is kept for the next use of [Palm Strike] and [Hand Knife].

[Class Builds]

A Class Build usually comprises by 4 types of Classes in general:

• Base Class: All characters start with their respective Base Class, and each Base Class gains access to their respective unique plethora of classes. For Monks, Cleric is the default Base Class.

• Main Class: The Main Class is one by which the whole Class Build is built around. Usually determines the general role of the class, be it DPS, Support or Healer. This Class is the most important Class in the Class Build, being the class whose role and playstyle is being built around on.

• Complement Class: This refers to any class that synergizes best with the Main class, further refining and boosting the role of the Core Class and the whole Class Build’s specialization (or diversification). The Main Class and Complement Class usually makes up most of the general playstyle and skill rotation of the whole Class Build.

• Utility Class: A Class Build usually has most of the sufficient skills it needs to fulfill the criteria and completion of a build’s purpose with its Main Class and Complement Class alone. With that said, the Utility Class is one that’s up to preference depending on the player to give the build further specialization or diversification while not interfering with the Main and Complement Class. This may include more damage, buffs, debuffs, heals, support, survivability and more.

Monks, by nature, are suited as a Main Class or a Complement Class, and depending on whether Monk is taken as a Main or Complement Class. Monk’s Skill Point Distribution may vary differently depending on the whole Class Build.

As a Class, Monk is a Physical DPS class that specializes in bossing, and offers decent CC, debuffs and Strike-Based DPS via skills that are affected by Attack Speed with a lot of Overheats. However, Monks have very little synergy with other classes in the Cleric Tree, nor do they have any useful utility skills that other party members can use. Monk’s damage, buffs and debuffs are rather selfish by nature, only affecting the skill itself or only Monk skills ([Palm Strike] armor ignore, [Golden Bell Shield] etc), and doesn’t offer much that other classes or party members can really utilize. Monks are better off either being boosted by other classes or using its strengths to compliment another class. Because of that, Monk is usually considered as a Main Class or Complement Class.

There are many Classes that players can choose to build around their Monks, or for their Monks to build around. Before starting off, it is vital to know that Monks do not have to ONLY go for a Physical or Magic damage build due to the existence of 2H-Maces with high Physical and Magic Attack to carry through damage for both types. While debuff interactions may vary due to the differences in the types of damage, 2H-Mace gives both damages ample Attack to deal significant damage to offset such things, so do not let things like having ONLY certain types of Attacks hinder you from trying out different classes with Monk to find the Class combination you like. That said, in my honest opinion, Inquisitor and/or Zealot is a MUST for a Class Build with Monk that’s aimed towards the DPS role (explanations for these classes further down).

Just a reminder that choosing 2 classes (including Monk) with good DEX stat growths is recommended, but feel free to choose others if you can build enough DEX otherwise. I have included classes to go with Monk that I recommend or have found other players using, and Class Builds for your reference on getting started with choosing your Monk Class Build. By no means are these classes mandatory, and you’re free to pick any class combination you feel is fun.

[Choosing Monk as a Main Class]

To be honest, due to Monk’s lackluster overall damage, Monk only exists as a viable Main Class with a certain class to fulfill its role as a Main and DPS Class. A Main Class is one where the purpose of fulfilling its role is mostly based on the Main Class’s skills, and as a DPS class, Monks will have to use its whole arsenal to do so. This includes the half-decent and much-discussed [Energy Blast], and as discussed, this means Krivis becomes an instant lock for a Complement Class due to Divine Stigma, though even then, this is still not quite enough. Utility Classes chosen are focused on pushing damage further, though other Utility Classes may be chosen depending on personal preferences.

In any other instances, Monk is usually better off taking a back seat and assuming a Complement Class instead as filler and to boost certain classes and their roles.

[Complement Classes]

image [Krivis]

Details

As mentioned, Krivis is taken to solidify Monk’s role as a DPS class and its role as a Main Class. Krivis offers various offensive utilities that benefit you and your party members. Furthermore, a synergy exists with Krivis’ Divine Stigma, where enemies debuffed by Divine Stigma takes double hits from [Energy Blast]. Divine Stigma only hits 5 enemies though, so this has limited use in mobbing. While there aren’t many offensive skills in the Krivis tree, Monks make up for it with the amount of skills and Overheats they have.

Aukuras: Reduces duration of harmful effects and also gives additional fire property damage based on STR or INT (whichever is higher). Not really that useful unless you have skills that deals a lot of hits fast ([Double Punch] is a fake multi hit and only procs such buffs once per 2 hits.

Zalciai: One of the main perks with taking Krivis. Buff that gives critical chance, critical damage and debuffs enemies with reduced critical resistance. What’s not to love about this skill from a DPS standpoint?

Zaibas: Despite its weak-looking skill factor, the amount of hits make it a surprisingly decent mobbing damage skill.

Daino: An accuracy buff, doesn’t really provide much use in most cases. Worth considering in PvP when dealing with evasion builds.

Divine Stigma: The main purpose in taking Krivis with Monk. Inflicts a debuff that deals decent Damage-over-Time (increased damage on Demon-Type monsters). Enemies under this debuff receives increased damage, and killing monsters debuffed by this skill buffs you and party members nearby with a percentage % increase in STR and INT. All in all, a great skill in general.

Melstis: Basically extends the duration of buffs on you by 100% (not surpassing 20 seconds). Its exceedingly long cooldown coupled with the fact that Monks do not have buffs that can make use of this properly makes this skill useless on a Monk. With that said, Utility Classes may have certain buffs that are worth extending for Buff/Debuff phases.

[Utility Classes]

image [Zealot]

Details

The premier class of choice in terms of power-up buffs belong to the Zealot class. Featuring buffs greatly increasing damage, critical rate, critical damage while coupled with various fire-and-forget skills, this class is perfect for increasing DPS while not hindering anything from Monks. It also goes well with Krivis, being a class full of buffs to extend and both Krivis and Zealot having a focus towards boosting critical hits to boost damage to its limits. With that said, most of these buffs have debilitating effects on the user, and one must be careful when using the Zealot class.

Invulnerable: Buff giving you immunity against Knockback and Knockdown. Always useful especially on a close-range class like Monk.

Immolation: Burns yourself and enemies around you. During this period, you gain additional fire property damage and fire resistance. You and your enemies also get damaged over time and both you and your enemies get their defenses reduced. Very Strong debuff skill to use in Buff/Debuff phases.

Beady Eyed: A low cooldown skill, it basically allows you to teleports behind an enemy and gain critical rate buffs for a short duration. Decent skill to get a few confirmed critical hits out during Buff/Debuff phases.

Fanaticism: The main reason for taking a Zealot, this skill greatly boosts any damage you do in exchange for not being able to heal, a worthy trade-off. Upon death with this buff, you become immortal for a short duration before dying. All in all, a superb skill for damage.

Fanatic Illusion: Surrounds you with a lightning AoE physical attack dealing damage to nearby enemies. A fire-and-forget skill with great damage and range, definitely a strong damage skill. Also increases accuracy.

Blind Faith: Converts half your SP into a buff dealing damage in proportion to the consumed SP. With that said. the resulting damage isn’t that great, and its primary use is to debuff monsters with increased critical damage. A strong buff to use in Buff/Debuff phases.

Emphatic Trust: Debuffs enemies around you to take Holy Damage with every hit they take. A decent fire-and-forget damage skill with its damage and cooldown.

image [Oracle]

Details

Since the Re:Build patch, Oracles have been buffed greatly into one of the best support classes in the game for both offensive, defensive and utility support. The class even comes with farming skills and being able to set-up a shop to provide services for a fee. Best of all, almost all the skills in this class affects your party so they get the same benefits, and has a general One-Build-Fits-All skill distribution to reap the full benefits of the class.

With that said, the duration and effect of the class’s offensive support, Death Sentence, the main reason for taking this class, gets halved with bosses, limiting their usefulness in half towards Bosses. Oracle is usually paired with Priest for a General Healer and Support build.

Arcane Energy: A buff that gives reduced damage, and at the end of the buff it restores SP and Stamina consumed during the buff. A decent buff to have when spamming skills, especially skills with high SP usage.

Clairvoyance: Basically shows you what drops from the monster in front of you in advance. Situational use with other classes for farming certain items.

Counter Spell: Utility skill to remove magic circles nearby and reduce magic damage received. A decent skill whose ability to remove magic circles shines when used right.

Prophecy: A Lvl 1 debuff prevention buff that’s used more for its attribute to increase damage while using this buff. A great skill with no particular downsides for Buff/Debuff phases.

Resetting: Change the item drop from an enemy to a different item. Situational, especially given its long cooldown.

Death Sentence: The main reason for taking Oracle. Applies a debuff to many enemies that slows them and makes the receive increased damage (more than Divine Stigma). It also comes with an attribute to reset cooldown when an enemy with the debuff is killed, making it great for mobbing. With that said, the debuff’s uptime and effect is halved on bosses, limiting its usefulness more towards mobs. Still, a sizeable damage increase when halved.

Divine Might: Applies a buff that increases the level of skills used during this buff by 1. Decently useful for some skills, especially if you plan to set up a Pardoner shop.

Gender Switch: Lets you set up a shop to change another player’s gender. I’ll leave it you to decide what to feel about this skill.

Foretell: Summons a magic circle that makes anyone inside invulnerable to damage and reduces enemy threat. In terms of usability, this is, in essence, CBT [Golden Bell Shield]. A nice support skill for party play if used right.

Twist of Fate: Deal fixed damage to an enemy based on max HP, and the enemy continuously recovers double the amount lost. Attributes need to be maxed so this skill doesn’t become detrimental to you. Even then, this skill’s effect gets halved on bosses, and doesn’t work on field bosses. A rather situational bossing skill that takes a considerable amount of coordination and cooperation to use right.

image [Druid]

Details

A more balanced option as compared to the extreme, offensive-oriented Zealots in terms of powering up. Druids are most notable for a skill, Lycanthrophy, where players transform into werewolves or demi-werewolves and gain various offensive buffs. While it may not be as strong as Zealot’s Fanaticism, it makes up for it with having no particular side effects, a longer uptime and comes with a wide range of useful buffs other than simply damage. Beyond that, Druids have damage skills via summons and skills, Heals-over-Time, Damage-over-Time, critical damage buffs, CC, other forms of transformations and a skill to boost Druid skills even further. Above all, these skills are all fire-and-forget skills with decently fast animation.

With that said, Druid leans a little more towards that of a magic attack class in essence, though a well-invested 2H-Mace easily fixes this problem. All in all, an extremely versatile class to boost your Class Build further.

Carnivory: Defeating enemies debuffed and turned into Plant-types by Chortasmata leaves behind plant summons based on the defeated enemy. The plants are considered a summon, making SPR a necessity. Give this skill a pass if you do not plan on stacking SPR,

Chortasmata: Summons a patch of grass that debuffs monsters, turning them into Plant-types and giving them a Damage-over-Time debuff, while you and party members receive Heal-over-Time whose heal increases with Statue of Goddess Zemyna buff present. A great Damage-over-Time and Heal-over-Time skill, though its Plant-type change property may pose problems in certain party set-ups.

Shape Shifting: One of a Druid’s transformantion skill, you transform into a monster of the Animal-type, Plant-type or Insect-type in front of you for some time. A skill that as versatile as the user and the transformation used, feel free to experiment!!

Seed Bomb: A druid’s strongest hitting skill with the right conditions that’s essentially used as a counter or AoE damage.

Sterea Trofh: A superb critical damage buff, best used to buff damage in Buff/Debuff phases due to its rather short duration.

Transform: Simply allows you to re-use the transformation you last used with [Shape Shifting].

Thorn: A damage skill that’s used less for its damage and more for its nice CC to immobilize enemies. Also has a decent chance to bleed.

Lycanthropy: The main transformation you will use, and also the main reason for taking this class. This skill is usually used in its demi-werewolf form, giving HP regen, physical/magic attack and critical rate to further boost Monk’s DPS. While in this transformation, your basic attacks is changed into a scratching animation with 5% chance to bleed too.Take note that you cannot use [Double Punch] stance while using this transformation.

Henge Stone: Druid’s own class buff increasing skill levels of magic circles and installation skills from the Cleric tree by 1, while also increasing damage of Druid skills and reduce the SP cost of Lycanthropy to 0. What’s not to love about damage buff.

Monk and ASPD questions

[Monk as a Complement Class]

In most cases, players may not like [Energy Blast] due to how the skill works and its requirement with Krivis to fulfill its DPS role as a Main Class. I rate [Palm Strike], [Hand Knife] and [Energy Blast] to be Monk’s main damage skills, and by dropping one of them, Monk alone does not have enough skills otherwise to fulfill the requirements as a DPS, thus becoming a Complement Class that boosts other Main Classes instead. Because of this, Monk is usually used as a Complement Class to better another class as a Main Class for a build.

By nature, Monks are a selfish class whose skills largely benefit themselves or a select few of classes. Other than that, Monk offer increased Auto-Attack Speed, Defense buffs, HP/SP Drain, Silence, Knockback, Knockdown and decent filler Strike-Based skills to the table of Complement Classes. Due to the raw power of 2H-Maces, Monks can be used on magic classes, not just physical classes, though its usability and usefulness will depend on the player and Class Build.

Utility Classes will be picked with relevance to DPS role (this guide is written with a DPS focus for Monk, after all). With that said, the types of Utility Classes that can be chosen can be any class in general, making desirable Utility Classes very diverse and more about personal preference. I’ll try to include classes I’ve seen that are popular and ones I personally recommend, but feel free to pick other Classes as this part is largely from preference.

[Main Class]

image [Inquisitor]

Details

Taking Monk as a Complement Class usually indicates an interest in a DPS build, and Inquisitor is the top choice as a Main Class for a DPS role. Inquisitor is an absurdly strong DPS class, originally designed as an anti-magic class, and is the strongest Physical DPS class in the Cleric Tree in my opinion. Strong DPS Strike-Based skills, great attributes, coupled with utility skills to further increase your damage and other players (particularly Physical DPS classes) boils down into to a solid Physical DPS Main Class that Monks can rely on. Inquisitor is also a class filled with synergies with numerous classes as well, furthering its power and making the combinations of Inquisitor builds with Monk quite diverse.

Its defining feature is its damage skills that ignores enemy defense, and class attribute that allows the reduction of Inquisitor Skill cooldowns when killing monsters with Inquisitor Skills. In fights with a lot of mobs, Inquisitors can even reduce cooldowns to the point of rotating solely on Inquisitor Skills. All in all, a superb class to take for the DPS role, and the premier DPS choice for Monks to take as a Complement Class.

God Smash: One of Inquisitor’s main DPS skills, basically a strong Strike-Based skill with increased damage when equipping 2H-Maces (Monks equip them anyways) and does more damage towards Demon-type targets. Along with the skill ignoring a portion of enemy defense, the skill being affected by Attack Speed, its decent Overheat and its low cooldown, this is a strong skill in general.

Pear of Anguish: A skill more suited for PvP, basically throw traps around dealing damage to enemies touching them. The traps also chases and attacks enemies caught casting magic skills in its vicinity to deal even greater damage. A lackluster skill in in PvE otherwise.

Breaking Wheel: One of the main reasons to take Inquisitor, basically summons a huge wheel that continuously hits anyone nearby. Also, attacking the wheel with physical attacks (including physical attacks from party members) allows the wheel to spread their damage and debuffs, if positioned right, you can attack both the enemy and the wheel, essentially doubling the amount of hits and in turn doubling the damage you can do. Great damage and range, coupled with its ability to double any physical damage on it and Inquisitor’s innate cooldown reduction attribute makes it an overpowered skill for any physical DPS build and physical party composition.

Malleus Maleficarum: Hits enemies with a magic attack that debuffs monsters with halving enemy INT and SPR, while making them receive additional damage in proportion to their own magic attack (doesn’t affect bosses) and doubling SP consumption of magic attacks. In PvP, this skill also reduces enemy SP while in PvE, this skill silences enemies. While an interesting skill, the other skills in the Inquisitor Skill Tree take priority over this skill, and this skill is usually never used nor added (other than for PvP use) in due to prioritizing other skills.

Iron Maiden: A single target CC that traps small/medium-sized enemies (doesn’t work on bosses). On Demon-type enemies, this deals constant damage for the duration of the CC, and enemies under this skill receives double damage from God Smash. A skill reserved for PvP.

Judgment: Basically a debuff that turns any enemy into Demon-type monsters and receive more damage from Holy attacks. This skill can also be attributed to taunt monsters around you. While Inquisitors do not have Holy damage skills at all, most of Inquisitor damage skills deal more damage to Demon-types. Heck, even Cleric’s [Smite] skill does increased damage towards Demon-types. An important debuff for dealing damage in Buff/Debuff phases.

Ripper: Another one of Inquisitor’s main DPS skill, this is Inquisitor’s strong AoE mob clear skill that has a CC effect of bringing anyone within its AoE to directly in front of you while using this skill. This skill also does increased damage to Demon-type enemies, and ignore a portion of enemy armor as well, Proper use of this skill along with other Inquisitor DPS skills when killing mobs can allow you to abuse Inquisitor’s cooldown reduction attribute to the point where you can base your DPS rotation around Inquisitor skills alone. A very strong skill in general.

image [Chaplain]

Details

Auto-Attack builds are often discussed when talking about Monk due to the skill [Double Punch], and the Class that often comes into discussion with regards to Auto-Attack builds is the Chaplain Class. Chaplain is a class whose skills and damage revolve solely around Auto-Attacks by imbuing Auto-Attacks with various buffs and certain skills to boost said Auto-Attacks and buffs. Auto-Attacks are the most constant of damage sources in the game, and have no burst of any sort. With that said, Chaplain also has a skill, Visible Talent, with an interesting mechanic for burst damage based on Auto-Attacks. Above all, Chaplain is a class that’s very light on SP usage due to the nature of Auto-Attacks in ToS, and is a cheap class to use.

A detrimental point about Chaplain comes with problems with Auto-Attacks in general, especially the fact that you Auto-Attack less the more skills you use, and Chaplain’s importance in any build lies in that fact. The usefulness of Chaplain largely depends on the build used, and a Class Build with plenty of skills will simply hinder Chaplain’s usefulness. Monk skills either take a back seat as debuff and CC, or is used as burst damage where a considerable amount of Attack Speed is needed to spam Monk skills as fast as possible for more Auto-Attacks

Last Rites: A skill that works similarly to Priest’s Sacrament. With that said, this skill is usually skipped as this buff replacing Sacrament and the fact that there are much better skills to add over Last Rites.

Aspergillum: The main damage source of Chaplains. Basically adds a Holy additional damage that can get boosted by increasing attack, can crit and hits harder on enemies weak to Holy. The damage may not look like much, but for a damage source that can be spammed anytime with Auto-Attacks at very little cost, the damage is actually quite great DPS-wise. Take note that this damage source is magic damage and is based from magic attack.

Binatio: Chaplain’s Auto-Attack Speed buff. Balance your Skill Points between Binatio and [Double Punch] (preferably [Double Punch]) to find out how much Attack Speed you need to reach 3 Auto-Attacks per second. If you can reach that amount, there may not be a need to level this skill.

Deploy Cappella: Sets up a Cappella that increases any holy damage done by anyone nearby the Cappella. Being a holy attack, Aspergillum really benefits from this skill, especially given how much this skill buffs holy attacks.

Paraclitus Time: A buff to become resistant to Knockdowns and Knockbacks. Very useful especially for a class like Monk and Inquisitor that are close-range damage classes and for the fact that it has no downtime at all.

Visible Talent: One of the most interesting skill mechanics in ToS. Basically, this skill applies a 10-second buff on yourself where, for the duration of this buff, any Auto-Attack damage you do (including anything that is proc-ed by Auto-Attack) is counted and accumulated. At the end of the buff, you will receive another buff that allows you to hit a single enemy with the full, accumulated damage done by Auto-Attacks during those said 10 seconds. While its use may be limited for mobbing, this skill is very powerful in a boss fight.

[Utility Class]

image [Zealot]

Details

The premier class of choice in terms of power-up buffs belong to the Zealot class, making it a little surprise that it gets some mention here as well. Featuring buffs greatly increasing damage, critical rate, critical damage while coupled with various fire-and-forget skills, this class is perfect for increasing DPS while not hindering anything from Monks. Classes like Inquisitor with strong skills, along with Monk skills can really make use of Zealot’s offensive buffs for devastating damage. Add Inquisitor’s skills, including Breaking Wheel, into the mix, and you have what is considered one of the, if not the strongest Physical DPS Class Build in the game. Most of Zealot’s buffs have debilitating effects on the user, and one must be careful when using the Zealot class.

Invulnerable: Buff giving you immunity against Knockback and Knockdown. Always useful especially on a close-range class like Monk.

Immolation: Burns yourself and enemies around you. During this period, you gain additional fire property damage and fire resistance. You and your enemies also get damaged over time and both you and your enemies get their defenses reduced. Very Strong debuff skill to use in Buff/Debuff phases.

Beady Eyed: A low cooldown skill, it basically allows you to teleports behind an enemy and gain critical rate buffs for a short duration. Decent skill to get a few confirmed critical hits out during Buff/Debuff phases.

Fanaticism: The main reason for taking a Zealot, this skill greatly boosts any damage you do in exchange for not being able to heal, a worthy trade-off. Upon death with this buff, you become immortal for a short duration before dying. All in all, a superb skill for damage.

Fanatic Illusion: Surrounds you with a lightning AoE physical attack dealing damage to nearby enemies. A fire-and-forget skill with great damage and range, definitely a strong damage skill. Also increases accuracy.

Blind Faith: Converts half your SP into a buff dealing damage in proportion to the consumed SP. With that said. the resulting damage isn’t that great, and its primary use is to debuff monsters with increased critical damage. A strong buff to use in Buff/Debuff phases.

Emphatic Trust: Debuffs enemies around you to take Holy Damage with every hit they take. A decent fire-and-forget damage skill with its damage and cooldown.

image [Oracle]

Details

Since the Re:Build patch, Oracles have been buffed greatly into one of the best support classes in the game for both offensive, defensive and utility support. The class even comes with farming skills and being able to set-up a shop to provide services for a fee. Best of all, almost all the skills in this class affects your party so they get the same benefits, and has a general One-Build-Fits-All skill distribution to reap the full benefits of the class.

With that said, the duration and effect of the class’s offensive support, Death Sentence, the main reason for taking this class, gets halved with bosses, limiting their usefulness in half towards Bosses. Oracle is usually paired with Priest for a General Healer and Support build.

Arcane Energy: A buff that gives reduced damage, and at the end of the buff it restores SP and Stamina consumed during the buff. A decent buff to have when spamming skills, especially skills with high SP usage.

Clairvoyance: Basically shows you what drops from the monster in front of you in advance. Situational use with other classes for farming certain items.

Counter Spell: Utility skill to remove magic circles nearby and reduce magic damage received. A decent skill whose ability to remove magic circles shines when used right.

Prophecy: A Lvl 1 debuff prevention buff that’s used more for its attribute to increase damage while using this buff. A great skill with no particular downsides for Buff/Debuff phases.

Resetting: Change the item drop from an enemy to a different item. Situational, especially given its long cooldown.

Death Sentence: The main reason for taking Oracle. Applies a debuff to many enemies that slows them and makes the receive increased damage (more than Divine Stigma). It also comes with an attribute to reset cooldown when an enemy with the debuff is killed, making it great for mobbing. With that said, the debuff’s uptime and effect is halved on bosses, limiting its usefulness more towards mobs. Still, a sizeable damage increase when halved.

Divine Might: Applies a buff that increases the level of skills used during this buff by 1. Decently useful for some skills, especially if you plan to set up a Pardoner shop.

Gender Switch: Lets you set up a shop to change another player’s gender. I’ll leave it you to decide what to feel about this skill.

Foretell: Summons a magic circle that makes anyone inside invulnerable to damage and reduces enemy threat. In terms of usability, this is, in essence, CBT [Golden Bell Shield]. A nice support skill for party play if used right.

Twist of Fate: Deal fixed damage to an enemy based on max HP, and the enemy continuously recovers double the amount lost. Attributes need to be maxed so this skill doesn’t become detrimental to you. Even then, this skill’s effect gets halved on bosses, and doesn’t work on field bosses. A rather situational bossing skill that takes a considerable amount of coordination and cooperation to use right.

image [Krivis]

Details

Krivis offers various offensive utilities that benefit you and your party members, especially in terms of critical hits. Even without [Energy Blast], Krivis’ role as a class with lots of offensive utilities has not changed. Besides, when counting in Inquisitor, one usually does not have the time to use [Energy Blast] and prioritizing [Energy Blast] usually leads to not using some Monk or Inquisitor skills, so you aren’t missing out on anything. Still, Divine Stigma, one of the main reasons for taking Krivis, only hits 5 enemies making it more of a bossing skill, and the fact that Inquisitor and Monk has no particular buffs that can really benefit from Melstis. All in all, still a decent pick for damage buffs and debuffs.

Aukuras: Reduces duration of harmful effects and also gives additional fire property damage based on STR or INT (whichever is higher). Not really that useful unless you have skills that deals a lot of hits fast ([Double Punch] is a fake multi hit and only procs such buffs once per 2 hits.

Zalciai: One of the main perks with taking Krivis. Buff that gives critical chance, critical damage and debuffs enemies with reduced critical resistance. What’s not to love about this skill from a DPS standpoint?

Zaibas: Despite its weak-looking skill factor, the amount of hits make it a surprisingly decent mobbing damage skill.

Daino: An accuracy buff, doesn’t really provide much use in most cases. Worth considering in PvP when dealing with evasion builds.

Divine Stigma: The main purpose in taking Krivis with Monk. Inflicts a debuff that deals decent Damage-over-Time (increased damage on Demon-Type monsters). Enemies under this debuff receives increased damage, and killing monsters debuffed by this skill buffs you and party members nearby with a percentage % increase in STR and INT. All in all, a great skill in general.

Melstis: Basically extends the duration of buffs on you by 100% (not surpassing 20 seconds). Its exceedingly long cooldown coupled with the fact that Monks do not have buffs that can make use of this properly makes this skill useless on a Monk. With that said, Utility Classes may have certain buffs that are worth extending for Buff/Debuff phases.

image [Druid]

Details

A more balanced option as compared to the extreme, offensive-oriented Zealots in terms of powering up. Druids are most notable for a skill, Lycanthrophy, where players transform into werewolves or demi-werewolves and gain various offensive buffs. While it may not be as strong as Zealot’s Fanaticism, it makes up for it with having no particular side effects, a longer uptime and comes with a wide range of useful buffs other than simply damage. Beyond that, Druids have damage skills via summons and skills, Heals-over-Time, Damage-over-Time, critical damage buffs, CC, other forms of transformations and a skill to boost Druid skills even further. Above all, these skills are all fire-and-forget skills with decently fast animation.

With that said, Druid leans a little more towards that of a magic attack class in essence, though a well-invested 2H-Mace easily fixes this problem. All in all, an extremely versatile class to boost your Class Build further.

Carnivory: Defeating enemies debuffed and turned into Plant-types by Chortasmata leaves behind plant summons based on the defeated enemy. The plants are considered a summon, making SPR a necessity. Give this skill a pass if you do not plan on stacking SPR,

Chortasmata: Summons a patch of grass that debuffs monsters, turning them into Plant-types and giving them a Damage-over-Time debuff, while you and party members receive Heal-over-Time whose heal increases with Statue of Goddess Zemyna buff present. A great Damage-over-Time and Heal-over-Time skill, though its Plant-type change property may pose problems in certain party set-ups.

Shape Shifting: One of a Druid’s transformantion skill, you transform into a monster of the Animal-type, Plant-type or Insect-type in front of you for some time. A skill that as versatile as the user and the transformation used, feel free to experiment!!

Seed Bomb: A druid’s strongest hitting skill with the right conditions that’s essentially used as a counter or AoE damage.

Sterea Trofh: A superb critical damage buff, best used to buff damage in Buff/Debuff phases due to its rather short duration.

Transform: Simply allows you to re-use the transformation you last used with [Shape Shifting].

Thorn: A damage skill that’s used less for its damage and more for its nice CC to immobilize enemies. Also has a decent chance to bleed.

Lycanthropy: The main transformation you will use, and also the main reason for taking this class. This skill is usually used in its demi-werewolf form, giving HP regen, physical/magic attack and critical rate to further boost Monk’s DPS. While in this transformation, your basic attacks is changed into a scratching animation with 5% chance to bleed too.Take note that you cannot use [Double Punch] stance while using this transformation.

Henge Stone: Druid’s own class buff increasing skill levels of magic circles and installation skills from the Cleric tree by 1, while also increasing damage of Druid skills and reduce the SP cost of Lycanthropy to 0. What’s not to love about damage buff.

image [Chaplain]

Details

Chaplains can also be considered a Utility Class given how great Chaplain and Inquisitor is together. Inquisitor skills have rather long cooldowns, and without enemies dying for cooldown reduction attribute to activate, are rather bad skills for bossing, by which Monks have filler skills to DPS with. Attack Speed needs to be quite high in order to spam those skills out as fast as possible. After that Chaplain can fill the remaining time with Auto-Attacks before Inqusitor Skills go off cooldown.

Last Rites: A skill that works similarly to Priest’s Sacrament. With that said, this skill is usually skipped as this buff replacing Sacrament and the fact that there are much better skills to add over Last Rites.

Aspergillum: The main damage source of Chaplains. Basically adds a Holy additional damage that can get boosted by increasing attack, can crit and hits harder on enemies weak to Holy. The damage may not look like much, but for a damage source that can be spammed anytime with Auto-Attacks at very little cost, the damage is actually quite great DPS-wise. Take note that this damage source is magic damage and is based from magic attack.

Binatio: Chaplain’s Auto-Attack Speed buff. Balance your Skill Points between Binatio and [Double Punch] (preferably [Double Punch]) to find out how much Attack Speed you need to reach 3 Auto-Attacks per second. If you can reach that amount, there may not be a need to level this skill.

Deploy Cappella: Sets up a Cappella that increases any holy damage done by anyone nearby the Cappella. Being a holy attack, Aspergillum really benefits from this skill, especially given how much this skill buffs holy attacks.

Paraclitus Time: A buff to become resistant to Knockdowns and Knockbacks. Very useful especially for a class like Monk and Inquisitor that are close-range damage classes and for the fact that it has no downtime at all.

Visible Talent: One of the most interesting skill mechanics in ToS. Basically, this skill applies a 10-second buff on yourself where, for the duration of this buff, any Auto-Attack damage you do (including anything that is proc-ed by Auto-Attack) is counted and accumulated. At the end of the buff, you will receive another buff that allows you to hit a single enemy with the full, accumulated damage done by Auto-Attacks during those said 10 seconds. While its use may be limited for mobbing, this skill is very powerful in a boss fight.

… and more depending on your needs and preferences.

image image image image . . . . .

[Choosing Monk as a Utility Class]

Monk’s skill set offers too little Utility-wise, and take too long to use (lots of overheats, takes some time to use) to the point of interfering with other class skills. Other classes in the Cleric Tree serves as a better Utility Class than Monk could ever be. Due to that, Monk is mostly never used as a Utility Class.

With that said, the only possible way for Monk to be a Utility Class is in PvP. In the realm of PvP, there is no such thing as a META to follow, and all sorts of quirky, niche builds can be used as long as they kill players. In such PvP situations, Monk can be considered, but due to how diverse PvP is, it is impossible to pinpoint any sort of build with Monk AKA Anything Goes.

[Class Build Breakdown]

From there, Class Builds can generally be simplified (and not limited) into something like:

chart

Monk is only viable with some classes as a Main Class, thus the limited choices. However, as a Complement Class, Monk has a lot of choices as long as Inquisitor or/and Chaplain is picked before choosing other classes.

[Notes of Class Interactions outside Monk]

Just a reminder of class interactions and facts outside the Monk Class that Monks can take note of when choosing classes to go with Monk.

• Paladin-Cleric: Guardian Saint boosts Restoration healing by 10%

• Paladin-Cleric: Conviction increases Smite’s damage from 100% to 80% x 3 of its original value

• Inquisitor-Paladin: Strike-Based Damage classes to benefit from Monk

• Inquisitor-Plague Doctor: Often used together for PvP as both classes are strong PvP classes in general

• Inquisitor-Druid: Chortasmata’s plant type overwrites Judgement’s demon type change

• Inquisitor-Cleric: Judgement increases Smite’s damage by 200% (more like 150% from testing, could be a bug). Damage also gets increased by Judgement’s additional damage to demon types.

• Inquisitor-Exorcist: Judgement doubles the amount of hits Rubric does, though keep in mind that demon types have more magic defense. Damage also gets increased by Judgement’s additional damage to demon types.

• Inquisitor-Priest: Judgement allows Turn Undead to be used on any mob, and Mutant/Demon typs under Malleus Maleficarum debuff becomes stunned for 3 seconds. Damage also gets increased by Judgement’s additional damage to demon types.

• Inquisitor-Krivis: Divine Stigma does more damage to demon types, including those converted by Judgement. Damage also gets increased by Judgement’s additional damage to demon types.

• Chaplain-Exorcist: Deploy Capella boosts Holy Damage greatly, a huge plus for Exorcist’s holy damage skill set.

• Chaplain-Inquisitor: These two classes are usually a set together due to Chaplain’s short range and damage benefiting greatly from Inquisitor’s Breaking Wheel. Auto-Attack damage from Breaking Wheel is also counted into Visible Talent.

• Chaplain-Zealot: Visible Talent also takes in Blind Faith damage in calculation as long as the damage is done using Auto-Attacks

• Zealot-Oracle: Both classes have damage buffs to boost any build. Furthermore, Zealot’s SP-draining skills can easily be remedied with Arcane Energy.

• Krivis-Sadhu-Zealot-Druid-Oracle: Transmit Prana, Fanaticism, Fanatic Illusion, Transform and Prophecy (as long as dispellers are used), are great notable skills to get Melstis duration boost.

• Krivis-Druid-Zealot: These three classes boosts Critical Damage by a lot with Zalciai, Stera Troth and Blind Faith if you need Critical Damage boost.

[Examples of Class Builds]

Simply put, a small list of builds from the information above. For those who want a cookie cutter top DPS build based on Monk, Monk-Zealot-Inquisitor is your build. Other than that, the list isn’t arranged in any particular order, so feel free to change the builds up based on preference.

While Class Builds are important, please note that your equipment and weapon is still paramount in dealing damage. No matter how good your Class Build is, it means nothing without a good weapon and armor to facilitate your build. To put it in another perspective, as long as your weapon and armor are great, any build can be viable in dealing damage.

[Gear and Equipment]

When considering Gears and Equipment as a Monk, a DPS class, it is important to get as many stats that increases Monk’s DPS and boss/mob clear time as possible. With that said, a dead DPS deals no DPS, and defensive stats are also important to stay alive enough to deal DPS. Here are some suggestions as to what stats to look out for as a Monk:

Stats

Attack:

• Physical Attack
  • Physical Critical Attack
  • Attack against certain armor types
  • Attack against certain monster types
  • Additional property damage

Support:

• Accuracy
  • Critical Rate
  • HP
  • SP

Stats:

• STR
  • CON
  • SPR (if you need more healing)
  • DEX (priority to get)

Defense:

• Physical Defense
  • Magic Defense

Others:

• AoE Attack Ratio
  • Movement Speed
  • Special Effects (stats that only exist with certain equipment)

[Armor]

Armor types are also important to consider. Wearing different Armor-types result in different stat boosts as follows:

As a DPS class with an inclination towards stacking DEX for Attack Speed, it is easy to spot that the Leather Armor Type is the best armor that Monks can get. Critical stats are vital for DPS classes, and Leather Armor is the Armor-type that best serves this purpose. With that said, players who have satisfactory critical stats may opt for either Cloth armor or Plate armor. In terms of PvE, I would recommend Plate Armor as most of the game’s content, including Velcoffer’s Nest (where you can get Best-in-Slot equipment), are physical damage. In terms of PvP, its easily up to you to pick whatever you deem is best.

[Recommended Gear and Equipment]

Gear and Equipment only becomes vital and important in endgame, and trying to invest heavily before reaching endgame is a bit of a waste. Players starting out do not really need special equipment to get through content, and will want to get just about enough equipment to reach max level and endgame. With that said, its important to get at least some decent equipment

*New Player events usually happens in this game and it usually comes with helpful equipment that can carry you through to Endgame. Feel free to skip over to the “Progressing towards Best-in-Slot” if you’re one of those players.

Starting Out

There is no need to get any particular equipment before reaching endgame, really. Just get whatever you can get before reaching level 305 (reasons will be explained later), with weapon being the most important equipment to get. Start off with 1H-Maces, and try getting a 2H-Mace as soon as you can. Armor type and grade doesn’t really matter much at this moment, just pick equipment giving you the best defenses for now. There isn’t really much need to look out for stats either, though I would highly recommend getting DEX to make using skills more comfortable. Not a necessity, but a nice stat to have.

Level 305 onwards to Endgame

Players generally start grinding in Challenge Modes on top of Dungeons and Quests to level up at this point. Challenge Modes give more EXP the more stages you can clear, and that depends on how good you are at clearing monsters. Because of that, it is best to keep your weapon and armor up-to-date as fast as possible. Accessories do not really matter that much as the benefits they give aren’t really that significant. Feel free to equip any accessories you can get.

By now you should have Lvl 270 equipment, which are the best equipment you can get for now. Keep using it until you can equip the next gear level at Lvl 315, 350 and 380 and try to enhance them to some extent (armor preferably Leather at +6 and weapon preferably 2H-Mace at +11). The most practical choice of equipment to get are HG equipment, and you can find them at a decent price in the market or dropped from monsters. Equipment grade does not matter that much for now.

Level 315:

• Pevordimas Two-handed Mace image
  • Kaulas Leather image image image image

Level 350:

• Raffye Two-handed Mace image
  • Jevenellis Leather image image image image

Level 380:

• Zvaigzde Two-handed Mace image
  • Ukas Leather image image image image

Level 380+, Progressing towards Best-in-Slot

By now, you have reached Level 380, basically getting access to every equipment a Monk can equip. You also gain access to most of the game’s endgame content, but put that aside first. With that said, attempting such content with half-baked equipment will prove fatal, not only to you, but your whole party in general, thus wasting everyone’s time. With that said, your first objective is to obtain gear and equipment that allows you to do such endgame equipment.

The best equipment you can start off with this is with HG equipment yet again. However, this time you should get the highest grade HG equipment you can get (Primus equipment) as they have the best offensive and defensive stats for you to get. This is the start of your progress towards Best-in-Slot equipment, so you should start looking for desirable stats to use for your Monk. Please try to get all equipment to +11 enhance as fast as possible, and if you have Blessed Gems from dailies, please try to transcend these equipment a bit as well (at least Transcendence Stage 3).

Some accessories also become available to you from the Astral Tower Quest line, so try and do those Quest as well to get those accessories since they are free, after all. There are better accessories for you to get, really, so just go cheap for now.

Level 380+:

• Primus Zvaigzde Two-handed Mace image
  • Primus Ukas Leather image image image image
  • General’s Gift image
  • Himil’s Legacy image image

Best-in-Slot

With enough decent equipment, Monks can finally start to grind for endgame equipment. The Best-in-Slot equipment in the game as of now are Velcoffer Equipment due to its Legendary Grade, great stats, customization in set effects, and a special feature of this armor being able to take in stats from other equipment for the ultimate customization of equipment. With that said, Velcoffer equipment requires you to grind Velcoffer’s Nest plenty of times in order to gain the materials necessary to get such equipment. Furthermore, the equipment’s customization is a real money sink, so it will take a long time to get these equipment.

In the meantime, you also have access to other dungeons, and most of your endgame equipment, either for immediate use or to be used to customize Velcoffer equipment, are located in dungeons called Raids. While you can buy them off players, these equipment are usually extremely expensive, so its worth grinding it out yourself to alleviate some of that burden.

[Weapon]

In terms of stats from Raid Weapons, 2H-Maces do not actually offer much to Monk. The most relevant 2H-Mace a Monk may want to get from Raids is the Asio Two-handed Mace. While the stats are decent, these stats are more geared towards Inquisitors and Paladins, by which you may be interested in if you have Inquisitor or Paladin in your build. The rest of those stats except for AoE Attack Ratio can be obtained from HG Primus Level 380 gear, so for the sake of your time, effort and silver, you may want to stick with what you have for now and spend the time finding a HG Primus Level 380 weapon with the best stats you can find to be used for Velcoffer Two-handed Mace.

• Primus Zvaigzde Two-handed Mace image
  • Asio Two-handed Mace image

[Armor]

To be honest, HG Primus armor with good stats is sufficient enough to be used to customize Velcoffer equipment. With that said, Ignas Leather set is a good armor set to set your eyes on after HG Primus armor. Even if you feel like sticking with HG Primus armor, I would recommend at least getting the Ignas Leather Gloves for its wonderful stats, especially to customize Velcoffer gear. Ignas Leather set can be found in the Astral Tower Raid.

• Primus Ukas Leather image image image image

• Ignas Leather image image image image

[Accessories]

The recommended accessories to get to start off are Nepagristas Accessories due to the useful offensive and critical stats on these Accessories. It also comes with a special set effect to increase critical rate further, thus making it a great choice to go for. These accessories drop from a Raid dungeon called Former Fantasy Library. While great enough as accessories, one can aim for Drakonas Pasiutes Accessories which are probably the best the game has to offer. However, these accessories are from Boruta, which is GvG content, and Nepagristas Accessories already have most of the benefits that Drakonas Pasiutes Accessories can offer. You won’t be able to get it unless you are in a good guild.

• Nepagristas Accessories image image image
  • Drakonas Pasiutes Accessories image image image

[Velcoffer Gear]

With all that said, the current Best-in-Slot Weapon and Armor are Velcoffer Gear. Other equipment are turned into Ichors bearing the equipment’s stats, which can then be applied to Weapon and Armor to receive the stats. This results in gear that can be customized greatly to the preferences of each player.

• Velcoffer Two-handed Mace image
  • Velcoffer Leather image image image image

After using the Ichor you want on Velcoffer Gear, there is a second step in customization via adding set effects on these equipment. Here are the following possibilities in which you can apply set effects:

Equipment can be mixed and matched to get an armor and weapon set having effects from different set effects. In particular, Kraujas and Mergaite effect is worth aiming for, but feel free to pick whichever you feel is best.

[Seals]

Seals can only be received from the Boruta raid, a GvG raid. Participating it once gives you the Kaze Seal, so try and get one Kaze Seal - Cleric. From there, do the Boruta raid more often until you can finally Boruta Seal - Cleric, which is your Best-in-Slot for Seals.

• Kaze Seal - Cleric image
  • Boruta Seal - Cleric image

PSA: It is actually fine to stop at Primus Level 380 HG equipment for weapon and armor as you are now viable to do most of this game’s content. The only hardcore aspects of this game lies in PvP, which isn’t a must for anything, and World Bosses. Velcoffer equipment requires a LOT of silver, time, effort and RNG to get, so feel free to stop at your current level of equipment if you so wish to

Notable Equipment:

• Suncus Maul image
    An interesting mace that increases Monk Skills by +2 for testing purposes.

• 5kg Dumbbell image
    A subweapon that gives a buff that provides STR per stack, up to 10 stacks. Free STR buff in a nutshell.

• Frieno Accessories image image image
    A set of accessories that builds dealing lots of hits like to have due to its set effect of having a chance of dealing additional damage to enemies around you. Some Auto-Attack builds like using it due to that, along with its decent stats. Additionally, you can use it to make Drakonas Frieno Accessories too
    imageimageimage.

Enchant Jewels:

Players can also enchant equipment with Enchant Jewels (obtainable from dismantling equipment) to gain additional stats. Some notable stats for Monk includes:

• AoE attack ratio (3)
  • Critical rate (25%)
  • Damage on boss monsters (15%)
  • Damage when critical (15%)
  • Main weapon attack damage (15%)
  • Movement speed (3)

Awakening:

Players can also awaken their equipment with an Alchemist’s Awakening Shop. Try to get as much Critical Rate, Physical Attack and AoE Attack Ratio as possible from Awakening. Other awakenings can also be considered depending on builds (Movement Speed, Critical Attack, etc)

[Gems]

Your Weapon and Armor has sockets where you can equip Gems onto after you open those sockets, gaining additional effects. My recommendations would be:

2H-Mace: Red Gems image
Top/Bottom: Blue or Yellow Gems image image
Glove/Boots: Green Gems image

[Monster Gems]

With that said, there are other gems that should be prioritized over normal Gems, especially Gems equipped on Armor. There are special Gems in the game called Monster Gems that drop from specific monsters depending on the name of the monster on the Monster Gem. The unique thing about these gems is in its ability to increase the level of the skill corresponding to the Monster Gem by 1 (only on skills you at least have Level 1 on). While this may have limited uses for some skills, there are some skills that are worth looking into in terms of taking them up another level. Depending on the Monster Gem used, the benefits can really outweigh using a normal Gem.

It should be noted, however, that placing a Monster Gem into equipment guarantees that you can’t take them out anymore as taking them out destroys the Gem. Consider the equipment you want to place your Monster Gem carefully, especially on Weapon.

With that said, there aren’t much Monster Gems whose skills correspond to Monk that are that particular important to take note of, so I highly recommend looking for Monster Gems whose skills correspond to skills from your OTHER classes instead. With that said, notable Monster Gems include:

Notable Gems

image Siaulamb Warrior Gem | Palm Strike
image Orange Gribaru Gem | Hand Knife
image Goblin Warrior Gem | Energy Blast

[Cards]

Bosses in this game may drop cards called Monster Cards, be it from albums, dungeons or cubes. Monster Cards have various uses, such as being used for Wizard summons and Wugushi Throw Gu Pot, but are generally used for the beneficial effects these cards can give. Players equip them to gain its effects, and can change their equipped cards at any time, though at a silver cost.

slotcard

Monster Cards are divided into 5 categories, Red, Blue, Green, Purple and Legend Cards. You can equip up to 3 cards from each category, with the exception of Legend Cards which you can only equip one. You can use 3 of the same cards from each category, or use a mix of any as long as they are from the same group. Here are my recommendations for Monk (picture listed from left to right):

(Pictures arranged from left to right as the list goes down)

Red Cards

Cards in the Red Group offer offensive choices, and choices change greatly depending on playstyle and preference.

image image image image image

• Glass Mole Card: Gives you increased damage for 6 seconds after drinking SP potions. Sounds gimmicky, but its quite easy to capitalize on, especially with more types of SP potions.
  • Centaurus Card: Gives more AoE Attack Ratio so you can hit more enemies than you normally can. A great card to use should the Glass Mole Card gimmick may be too much.
  • Velnia Monkey Card: Gives you increased damage towards poisoned enemies. You can pair this card with Biteregina Card, a Purple Card, to inflict enemies with poison to get Velnia Monkey’s effect if you have no need for Gazing Golem Card.
  • Prison Cutter Card: Gives you increased damage towards bleeding enemies. You can pair this card with Rajapearl Card, a Purple Card, to inflict enemies with poison to get Prison Cutter’s effect if you have no need for Gazing Golem Card.
  • Tomb Lord Card: Gives more damage towards boss monsters, which is nice, but other cards are better. A low budget option if you can’t get the other cards since they are also expensive.

Recommended: Glass Mole Cards or Centaurus Cards

Blue Cards

Cards in the Blue Group offer defensive choices, and your choice depends on how good your equipment is and what content you are tackling.

image image image

• Zaura Cards: Increases your physical defense. Usually the premier pick as most endgame content revolves around physical damage. With that said, an expensive card to get.
  • Nuaele Cards: Increases your magic defense. While Zaura Card is preferred, players may want to pick Nuaele Card on content that may be helpful with more magic defense, especially PvP. With that said, an expensive card to get.
  • Armaos Cards: Gives you a chance of generating a shield lasting 10 seconds when attacked. An interesting card to consider depending on the situation. A cheap card you can get that doesn’t really do much if your armor is so bad you get too much damage, but on well-geared players who barely get damaged much, this card is up for consideration to mitigate damage further.

Recommendations: Zaura Cards

Green Cards

Cards in the Green Group offer additional stats, and you are really free to pick anything, though I would recommend getting DEX, CON or STR.

• Ellaganos Cards: Increases DEX. Nothing much needs to be said.
  • Abomination Cards: Increases DEX and CON, a little. Can be considered if you want a bit more CON alongside DEX.
  • Blut Cards: Increases CON. If you have no need for extra DEX, this card is great for increasing survivability.
  • Mummyghast Card: Increases DEX and STR a little. An alternative STR variant to Abomination Cards.
  • Netherbovine Cards: Increases STR. Take it if you just want a power-up, though a little in the whole picture.

Recommendations: Ellaganos Cards

Purple Cards

Cards in the Purple Group are full of diverse utility effects, and choices differ greatly depending on class build, playstyle and preferences. With that said, I recommend Gazing Golem Cards for most cases due to Monk’s close-range nature.

• Gazing Golem Card: Gives you a chance of getting Pain Barrier buff when attacked. A premier choice for Monks if you do not have access to any reliable Knockdown and Knockback immunity.
  • Biteregina Card: Gives you a chance to inflict poison to enemies. Typically used with Velnia Monkey Card due to their synergy with poison. Give this card some consideration if you do not need Gazing Golem Cards.
  • Rajapearl Card: Gives you a chance to inflict bleeding to enemies. Typically used with Prison Cutter Card due to their synergy with bleed. Give this card some consideration if you do not need Gazing Golem Cards.
  • Yeti Card: Increases your Max HP. Give this card a shot if you need more HP.
  • Stone Whale Card: Gives you a chance to get a buff to receive less damage. An interesting defensive choice to consider depending on preferences.

Recommendations: Gazing Golem Cards

Legend Cards

Cards in the Legend Group can only be found from World Boss Demon Lords, and give many various effects. While there are cards from the other 4 categories that bears similar names and pictures, they are not Legend Cards. Demon Lord Marnox Card will probably be the card to pick for Monk, but a problem comes before that these cards are extremely hard to get and enhance to proper use.

image image image

• Demon Lord Marnox Card: Gives you a minimum critical chance. A great card for DPS.
  • Demon Lord Zaura Card: Increases physical defense if you need it.
  • Demon Lord Nuaele Card: Increases magic defense if you need it.

Recommendations: Demon Lord Marnox Card.

*Just FYI, it is extremely hard to get a Legend Card and level them up to max where they can do significant differences. Think of these cards as pipe dreams and don’t base builds planning around these cards as no one really bothers with these cards unless they absolutely have nothing else to do. Like, really nothing else to do.

[In Closing]

With all that said, Monk is not a class most people would pick as the premier DPS Physical DPS Cleric class in the game. Other classes simply outshines it in DPS, utility and support, and the trade-off going to Monk is rather bad in general. Fun is the most important factor in ToS, especially when choosing a class to play with, and I urge you to not be too hung up on these things. While Class Build is indeed important, they alone do nothing if equipment is insufficient to bring the build alive and DPS. Putting that into a different perspective, that also means that as long as your equipment is upgraded enough, any Class build can DPS and be viable.

I hope my guide has helped you in some way or another, and maybe interested you to making a Monk, just as I have been liking the class since its beginnings, despite repeated nerfs. Fun is paramount in any game, and I hope you enjoy playing Monk!

[Sources]

Information from this guide is largely from my own testing and from tos.guru, an open-source database for Tree of Savior. Some of these information also come from other players I have talked to, tested with and confirmed with in-game and in discord (particularly ToS Reddit Discord, link to the discord can be found on ToS Reddit).

[Update Log]

[11-2-2019]

• Added a new section for class builds, finalized some points, completed guide.

[27-01-2019]

• Added a few pictures, will update on some more later.

[Self-Notes]

(Just notes to remind myself of things I have to update when changes hit)

• Double Punch does not work with Golden Bell Shield (could be a bug)
  • Energy Blast Knockdown Remove Attribute (kTest)
  • God Finger Flick increased debuff duration (kTest)
  • Sadhu Monk Chaplain synergy
  • Additive/Multiplicative damage changes, if any

Leaving space here just in case I need to fill in more.

flag for ERP

Golden Bell Shield Real life

If only Monk’s Golden Bell Shield gives anything defensive for a “Shield” … :crazy_face:

Bad job, here is mah flag.

Mind giving any details why? I’m interested in improving my guide however I can.

Pretty nice guide.

Really helped me filter down my options, but I still have 2 remaining:

1- Monk > Chaplain > Zealot

2- Monk > Oracle > Zealot

(I know having Inquisitor makes it be superior in damage, but I,ve been playing with it since it came out, and I just don’t like the class that much)

The reasons for each:

Build 1 would be focused on Double Punch + Chaplain buffs to bossing, and Zealot skills to mobing. Lacking in defensive support and healing, but having a way to sinergine better with monk in general.

Build 2 exists just because Oracle is such a strong class now. It has everything; damage buffs, invincibility and SP recovery to compensate for Blind Faith… just lacks a healing skill to be super OP. My fear is that with this build, I would be playing mostly just zealot with Oracle, while Monk doesn’t get to have a role at all.

That why I’m really in doubt between these 2, so I guess I’ll keep thinking.

Depends on your goal with the build.

While lacking Breaking Wheel support, Build 1 will have the better edge due to Chaplain’s constant damage, though mobbing capabilities are not as great. All three classes have great DEX stat growths, and you should be able to get great auto-attack speed even without [Double Punch] and Binatio. Try and gauge how much attack-speed from [Double Punch] and Binatio you need (if you actually need them), and you can have more points to throw around for other Chaplain and Monk skills.

With that said, Monks do need to keep in mind of party play, especially when it comes to Cleric classes. Parties usually don’t have any more than 2 Clerics, and your party members will really appreciate Death Sentence support to bring about greater overall damage. In a mobbing situation you will be busy spamming Zealot Skills and Death Sentence while using Monk skills whenever you can, and in a boss fight you will be spamming Monk and Zealot skills since Oracles do not have any useful damage skills to speak of.

In a Build centered around DPS, Chaplain-Monk-Zealot will probably be the better one with Chaplain’s constant damage while Monk skills are on cooldown (just don’t take [Energy Blast]).

In a Build centered around party support, Oracle-Monk-Zealot will probably be better since Death Sentence is a great debuff for increasing party DPS, usually ending with more overall DPS than you can do alone (unless you’re really that geared and your party members are being carried), though in this instance I would argue that it’ll be better taking other classes over Monk (Chaplain, Druid, Inquisitor, etc).

Its also good to know that Blind Faith’s damage is lacking a lot in Re:Build, so don’t count on Blind Faith as damage (for example, assuming you have 7000 SP, additional property damage is 3500 x 200% for 20 hits so 140 000 property damage that can’t be boosted). With good enough equipment, that damage really falls off (one critical tick of my Fanatic Illusion with Fanaticism alone hits that damage), so try not to build damage around Blind Faith.

Thank you!

I’ll keep your insights in mind when testing and deciding.

Maybe you should put a note to get the Hanaming gem and put it somewhere in your equipment(e.g. gloves or shoes).
Every level of Heal increases the Healing power use by over 150% (if we include enhancement attribute and Linger attribute), which is a lot, especially on a char with low SPR and possibly low- no investment in SPR and/or Guardian Saint.

Unless you have maxed both Heal enhancement and Guardian Saint enhancement, you should pass on the 70-80 crit rate from a green gem in either gloves or boots.
Hanaming gem is cheap and thus not something to cry over when replaced with a green gem once you’ve got your char decently equipped.

That said, maybe you should advise people to max Iron Skin as a precaution until they are geared since the damage growth of skills is usually only ~40% difference between level 1 and max level (with the exception of skills unlocking at Class level 31 which have a max level of 5) and most of the deadly damage in this game comes from physiucal attacks, so every reduction helps in the beginning.

At later levels, one can get free skill reset potions by doing quests and events (e.g. iirc the Mage Tower main quest and the current census event) and even from team growth to get rid of Iron Skin if it’s no longer necessary. If Popolion Shop comes back this year, there’s another option for free skill reset pots.

Btw, I didn’t read all of the guide, but did you mention the extra stat points from quests and Zemyna statues?
Imo all 52 of them should go directly into SPR (unless you’re short just a few points [1-3] to the next 10 point bonus on other stats) as Monks base SPR is abysmal and SPR in Re:build is far more significant for survival than CON. If possible, getting a good stat stick like a skull smasher/Masinios Rod to switch into can help significant with overall survival.
Best bet would be Masinios Rod + Wastrel shield to switch towards to cast Heal.

I usually do it that way, using my two-handed mace for damage and switch back to Skull Smasher + shield with SPR ichor for Healing, boosting my total Healing capacity by 33% just for adding 121 SPR (SPR is somewhere around 300 without them, so a low-no SPR char will probably have a way higher boost).

Just getting a Masinios rod can give you that >33% Heal boost without a problem,so I’d advise to get a weapon to switch in for additional recovery and thus additional survival.

You can also get some free SPR via collections and certain quests and for collecting titles, so on main getting 20 titles and doing some collections & quests for extra stats might be good.

Maybe you should research the extra stat quests that add SPR & DEX and reference them so people can do them while leveling up their Monk.

I didn’t talk about Monster Gems from other classes, including Cleric, since I didn’t feel like an extra level in Heal is of much use/aren’t as important as compared to other Monster Gems, not just ones pertaining to Monk (too many gems and to wide of a scope to include). With that said, thanks for the reminder, I forgot to write a note saying to prioritize Monster Gems over normal Gems in most situations.

I still advise maxing Iron Skin only as a last resort or for defensive builds as I saw that there was unnoticeable difference in damage before and after using Iron Skin (if one uses bad armor, there is little difference, and if one has great armor, the damage is reduced so much that 7.5% doesn’t make any difference). 15 levels for a skill that is that unnoticeable and can’t be enhanced in exchange for extra damage that can be enhanced is really not worth it, better off putting them into damage skills as a DPS class. I rather let players save Vaivora free Skill Reset for major emergency updates, and save Popo points for better things since Popo shop always comes with special items.

I discussed my reasoning for stat allocations on a Monk’s perspective as a DPS class, not a Healer class. Because of that, I chose DEX as priority due to the need for attack speed (DEX gives the biggest impact due to the attack speed needed, along with the changes in attack speed formula to make less DEX give more attack speed). Monks usually aren’t taken into parties as Healers, and the current Cleric’s Heal isn’t that great as for healing parties. A build without Priest is simply unable to properly sustain heals on a party, and SPR from armor is more than enough to heal yourself due to Heal’s Heal Factor. Above all, potions in Re:Build are of good enough efficiency to make up for any difference for any players.

IMO getting a Masinios Rod + Wastrel Shield would be overkill, even a HG 1H-Mace + Offhand with good SPR values would do almost as well for much less cost due to 1H-Maces having the Heal attribute and how calculations done for healing is multiplicative. Even then, SPR from armor is usually more than enough for self-healing. Prioritizing SPR and healing that much just sounds counterproductive as a DPS at times unless supporting the party with a Priest Class in the build.

Thanks for your feedback!

As a physical cleric player, this guide is well-done. Good job! :slight_smile:

make monk nice agin:拥抱:

Finally finished touching up and testing. Guide as of now is completed, at the very least until IMC decides to change anything about Monk.