Tree of Savior Forum

My feedback on linear progression and other stuff

It’s not about bad content, it’s about not giving a choice. In this game, you just felt that you are mindlessly follow what the game asked you to do, which is like a single player RPG.

1 Like

No its not.you bo understand that you geting way mor exp in the bate that it will ni in the full game?you will have alot of grind there just how you want.
The moment you will stop forcing on your sell the idea that somthing is forced on you here you start having fun.if having 100+ build is not fun for you then sory but its not your game.the team doing the game is not big and dont have money for more.so most of the time go into the classes.

Having 100 classes, even 1000, will not change the single player like gameplay. It’s not like you don’t have to grind in single player rpg.

Seriously? It’s the job of developer to let us have fun, a player shouldn’t force himself to believe the game is fun.

1 Like

So you dont have fun in the as it is.the game will be like this after the beta as well.i am sorry and dont take it the wrong way but why are you here?when did any one from the development did say its will be open world?go in a game not looking it up befor thinking it will be like ro but fined its not is on you not the developers.they cant make it fun for 100% of people.the can onllyhope that alot wil like it and pay for it.

That’s the point of this post, isn’t it. The open world lover is fighting for more open world feels. Even the ToS developer agreed that they will improve it in some topic.

Also, you should attack the point, not the speaker during argument. Attacking the people makes your argument felt immature.

2 Likes

While I don’t completely disagree with you, I dont completely agree with you either. Some people like myself actually enjoy the linear progression at least at the beginning. For the very same reasons you love RO, I didn’t. For me RO felt boring since I had no idea what to do and honestly I dont wanna be confused and in need of exploration right at the beginning of the game. My first goal in mmo’s usually is to get some of the nice skills the build has to offer so that the combat becomes much more enjoyable. Also I’m not a big fan of grinding personally and I like the fact that I can continue questing to progress well.

All in all this type of topic is very difficult to deal with considering there is a lot of different type of players with different needs and things they appreciate and like in games. The reason why linear progression is so popular in mmo’s is the fact that it’s helpful for new players to get in the game, it’s helpful for those who don’t have that much time to invest for the game and want to reach some higher levels without taking too much time to get there. It’s impossible to make everyone happy which is why it’s so difficult. Then again I’m certain IMC wants to also make your kind of player base happy but they most likely don’t want to hurt other types of players while doing so. The game is currently only in closed beta and we still lack a lot of content to come, also being in closed beta it’s only natural that it follows a linear progression so you actually progress pretty fast to test many parts of the game, many things can change for the better for you in oben beta/live.

Hopefully you people aren’t completely turned off by the games linearity by now and keep an open mind for the game when it will hit obt/live and will try to hit a bit higher levels to see if the game will offer you some freedom you desire. I don’t think that changing grinding to be more efficient than questing would solve the problem as people would just grind then mostly cause it’s faster, whats the point of questing then right? (Sure there’s achievements but not everyone cares for them lets be honest.) Not everyone wants to grind even if it was better.
The game won’t be what you want it to be but hopefully it will be enjoyable enough for you at its “final” state. Another good reason for the cbt to be very quest based is to actually test the questing system, give feedback on it so they can improve it, grinding doesn’t need that much testing as it’s pretty much the same everywhere - kill as much as possible as fast as possible.

I personally enjoy the questing system as it has many elements you don’t find in other games, sure it has a lot of those elements that are similar as well but then again MMORPG’s in a sense are very similar. I like the fact that there’s a lot of different type of bosses to be fought since the beginning. If they seem easy now, well this is testing they are trying to find a good balance.

Anyways we can’t know yet how the game will be on obt/live so just stay hopeful until then, it’s a good thing that you gave your feedback. (Which was noticed!) Hopefully they will address the linear problem so that both, those that enjoy it and those who don’t will be happy.
We’ll see! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I didnt attack no one.i just saying want open world in a game that from the start was not build for one is not smart.you can and need 2 ask for it if you fell you must 2 have one.2 make this game more “open” tou need 2 take rebuild it from 0.will they do it?dont think so.

The problem is we have no problem with linearity until we had completed it the first time. Then, we are done with the game.

1 Like

You are already attacking when you asked someone to leave the game.

1 Like

I agree when you start over again you gonna redo all the quest and thats pretty boring and theres 100% possibility that we’re gonna make a new character to explore the class system.

2 Likes

The linearity is the number one reason why I, and my party of 4 people, will probably drop the game once it goes live. It really kills the game for us

2 Likes

Ok hope you fined you perfect open world game one day.that if any one will make games like this in the first place.

I am not asking nothing from you .just say that if you dont like the game maye its not a game for you.imc cant make a game for all

I agree with TS, on the linearity of the game.
but give me a game that released in the past year or two that aren’t linear?
Wildstar? the game is too deserted that it had to switch to F2P,
BDO? P2P in NA,
WoW already became somewhat linear and annoying to deal with.
Archeage flopped after 2 months being released
ToS yes gives us a linear quest line, where you can’t go to Zone C without going through zones A-B
but when you’re done with the quest, you can go back and do what you want.
you can farm for what you want, you can see and feel what you want.
I can’t say for sure if they’d change it, but they’re keeping you in that zone for a reason.
and that reason is because the next zone is higher leveled and possibly impossible for you to clear,
if you’ve done the quest line up to around lvl80, you’ll find that there are 3 zones that you missed,
you can go there and get extra exp cards and lvls, and possibly more items to equip.
but the main quest line never brought you there. there are several maps like this in my current adventure that’s brought me to lvl100, and there will probably be more when you get to higher levels.

I totally understand how you feel, but let’s be honest, tree of savior is probably one of the best games that released in the past year or so.
so I guess my advice is, bear with it? until you actually get to see the what end game or higher end gaming feels like, and if it’s not for you, then you can always go to other mmo’s.

props for the good points TS! props to IMC for taking the time to read them!

5 Likes

Lol, liked for attacking a Linear game in a roundabout way.

2 Likes

lel, I know how the TS is feeling, but nothing can be done about it.
most games being released these days are the same.
I was even checking out Dragomon hunter, but when I saw the review on MMOhuts,
I was underwhelmed and saddened. same thing, instance based, auto walk, 0 freedom, linear quests, linear crafting
BDO, just announced it’s B2P, so that’s even worse.

Bdo is the same as tos nut have one big map.the 5 first classes are not so fun there.in korea bdo not doing so good rhat fast.bdo have no rpg end game.the end game there is a merchant sim.
If ros will not have good end game it will not do so good as well.good end game is dungeons ,raids,pvp,new things to do.

I don’t know why you are so hardass about people who love the game’s potential and want it to be different than every other MMO out there. If your argument is “don’t like it don’t play it”, then you are contribute nothing from both the developers’ view and players’ view, aside from the cash that’s going to IMC’s wallet.

Usually it will be you people who will drop the game after 1 year because you will move to another game with the same linear path with different skins.

6 Likes

You don’t have to limit yourself by just following main quest. In fact you don’t have to follow it at all if you’re enjoying grinding and unguided exploration. World map is huge, especially for Beta version of the game, so there are quite a few location for each level range which you can try to find yourself without being guided by main quest.

You have to visit a certain location or find an entrance into it in order for it to appear on your map. Klapedia is boring, I agree, but so was Prontera. There are other towns in ToS and they do seem more interesting and atmospheric. Maybe actual issue is that there aren’t enough towns that’d be accessible even to low level characters and there’d be something for them to do around there. In this aspect RO’s world map design was much better indeed.

Times change, new generation of players is too used to be guided through everything like kids. Although some sort of smart mixture of guidance and free exploration even for not very high level characters indeed would be a great thing.

With that being said, ToS does feel like spiritual successor of RO to me, mostly because of amazing art, ability to choose your skills and stats manually, plus a variety of other small things. I mean, it’s not as close to RO as many people imagined it would be (especially exploration and variety of towns vise), but there are no other good games that are any closer to RO than ToS is. So enjoy it and wait for more interesting places to explore and things to do in the future. As I said, it is just a Beta after all.

3 Likes

lol not this one again… You are LIMITED by the main quest you cant access high lvl maps if you’re not gonna do the quest.For example tenet chapel is closed if you’re not gonna do the main quest that means you’re stuck on lvl 30 maps and prolly wont reach lvl 50 coz the monsters you need to grind are inside. same goes with crystal mine, passage of recluse and a lot more. And have you tried making multiple characters to test their classes? if you did how does it feel to do the same quest again?

1 Like