Tree of Savior Forum

[Build] Friend's Shinobi Murmillo | Current highest single-target DPS in the game

Last Updated: December 6, 2017

From unlisted, to 17th most popular build!

Rank 9 Updates soon, patch hasn’t hit but I’ve got everything worked out
Cards Updated
Now updated for World Boss Patch
Now updated for combat balance patch.

日本の方、質問などツイッターとか密談で是非聞かせてください。

Rank 9

Basically, AoE/PvP/Farming : Go Murm2, it’s versatile
More Single Target DPS : Hoplite2, 4 hit pierce, Finestra 10, Spear lunge
Matador1 : Hipsters only

Currently a lot of the changes are volatile for rank 9. We will have to wait until things become more stable, and more importantly, new content to even use the build for.

Introduction

This build was made by me pre-combat rework, and discovered and worked at through the efforts of the Lotus guild, not through kToS or any other sources. I experimented went through the math of the whole build, with the most significant innovation of taking hoplite1 instead of pelt2. At the time Synchro Thrust used to additionally scale with the shield’s defense (5 * Shield def) as base damage, which also got multiplied by Cassis Crista. I was the only competitive Murmillo in the entire server in terms of DPS, which also included being the only competitive Shinobi. The competitive boss at this time was Demon Lord Blut, standing at 433mil HP, but I was also main DPS in our guild’s 1bil HP guild missions.

It was only coincidentally that the build became top DPS following Doppel3 and Fencer3 nerfs through the rework. However, the rework also changed my BiS weapon from 1h sword to 1h spear, so you can see me previously using an Abdochar in older videos. A strike debuff (slithering) got removed, and Shooting star went from 5 to 4 hits. The build stands on top of large multipliers while bunshin is activated, alongside the multitude of melee and strike buffs in the game.

World Boss Update

Following the World Bossing patch, we found it not to be unusual that a single shinobi-murmillo running this build can outdamage a party of 5 DPS without one. The world boss contribution calculation now is party-based. The ideal party, as always did, requires at least 1 Chronomancer in the Shinobi-Murmillo’s party for a proper rotation.

Following the combat rebalance patch, the former uncontested Top DPS swordsman (Doppelsoldner) has dropped significantly from the top. This build has risen to the top due to the buffs to the murmillo helmet attributes, the damage% formulas, and Rodelero’s innate attack multipliers. There is no circle I can recommend changing for top PvE DPS, but I understand if you would like a more stylistic decision.

The build:

https://tos.neet.tv/skill-planner#1134aaadc.253555.152535.253545.11213f4151657a8a91.2555.1121334575

5 Bash or Concentrate is preference but few of us don’t use Bash anymore.

Strengths:

• Massive single-target burst, best paired with Falconer3 and Chrono
  • Solid AoE Damage, best paired with Falconer and Cryo3
  • Reasonably bulkier than other Swordsmen due to shield
  • Attributes are cost effective, offering an extremely significant attack boost (2.5x damage per helmet attribute) for its cost
  • Virtually almost no damage ceiling

Weaknesses:

• Steep learning curve, you can make many mistakes in rotation
  • This build isn’t exactly the best in PvP
  • There will almost always be something to put silver into

Section 1: The Build’s Mechanics

Build Reasoning

The build I will be discussing is:

Swordsman C1-Peltasta C1 - Hoplite C1 - Rodelero C3 - Shinobi - Murmillo

Which I’m currently using myself.

Core: Swordsman C1-Peltasta C1 - Hoplite C1 - Rodelero C3 - Shinobi - Murmillo
Bunshin Copyable Skills: Shooting Star, Kunai, Shield Bash, Synchro Thrust, Umbo Blow, Rim Blow, Thrust, Bash

• The biggest combo is from these three classes.
  • Two Strike debuffs: High Kick, and Headbutt
  • Offers 1H Spear (the best 1H weapon type) and Finestra 5 (100 Crit, 3 AoE attack ratio)
  • Synchro Thrust is the strongest skill available out of all R3 classes
  • Preserving Pelt1 means access to Swash, the 4th helmet attribute, and strong filler skills
  • Umbo and Rim blow additionally have damage modifiers that beat other alternatives

Other weaker variations:
Peltasta2
Bunshin Copyable Skills: Umbo Blow, Rim Blow

• Peltasta skills are very lackluster after rework.
  • No additional copyable skill
  • No access to spear is a big loss to overall DPS in PvE

Highlander2
Bunshin Copyable Skills: Moulinet

• A newer build, where the idea is to get access to the 5-hit slash move Moulinet, a skill that was recently buffed alongside Crown. Additional access to Skyliner, Crosscut and Cartar Stroke. Unfortunately, none of these skills are boosted by Murmillo C1’s Additional Damage attributes, making this build more experimental.
  • Highlander2 is a close second to this build, but ultimately doesn’t scale as hard.
  • I went through the math and this doesn’t ever reach current murmnobi’s level of damage

Swordsman C3:

• The copyable skills (Pommel Beat, Double Slash) don’t scale well and have very low skill factors (attack%s)
  • No access to spear is a big loss to overall DPS in PvE
  • Pain Barrier 15 is ultimately pointless in a proper bossing setup (Chronomancers exist, dummies)
  • A single Gazing Golem card further removes the need of PB15 in PvE settings.

Skill Builds

The rest of the points are optional. Slithering, Montano, Shield Charge, Shield Push also optional.

Refer to:
https://tos.neet.tv/skill-planner#1134aaadc.253555.152535.253545.11213f4151657a8a91.2555.1121334575

Bunshin no Jutsu Mechanics

Bunshin no Jutsu Mechanics:

• Clones will snapshot your weapon on time of creation, always have your weapon and shield on before creating them (shieldless clones can’t use shield-requiring skills)
  • They don’t snapshot attack anymore
  • Clones don’t take buffs, including Cassis Crista (and its damage boost), on time of creation, but will take buffs afterwards (Enchant Fire namely). They will not receive Pass.
  • Damage buffs like Gung Ho, Blessing, and Concentrate (also Swell Left Arm, etc.) are still taken into consideration in the damage calculation
  • Clones have their own HP Bars and can take heals, ausrine charges
  • Summoning new clones replaces the old ones with new and reset cooldown timers
Stats

Stats

Full STR now for maximum DPS in PvE. If you want to be comfy you can add CON to your liking.

Equipment

Equipment:

Disregarding gear to level up, I will only be listing endgame equipment that I recommend. In parenthesis, I list other options. This list excludes Leather Solmiki Gear, which would be BiS if you could get it. That gear choice and setup will be your decision.

Weapon:

• Spears: Pygry Spear, Wingshard Spear + Red Gems

Off-hand: Didel Tower Shield. 2Slot HG Gear, Emengard Shield, Lionhead Shield + Red Gems

Amulet: Max Petamion, Pasiutes Necklace

Bracelets: Sissel Bracelets

Top: Any, Nyx Knight

Bottom: Lolopanther Bottom to get 2set, or any Crit leather or Nyx Knight Bottom

Gloves: Lolopanther Leather Gloves / Swift Oghma / Oghma Gauntlets + Skill Gems or Red Gems

Boots: Lolopanther Leather Boots, Virtov/Newt Leather/Plate, Superior Kovos Greaves, Superior Greytis Greaves + Skill Gems

Cards:
Red: 3x Glass Mole (+★% Physical Attack),
Green: 3x Netherbovine,
Purple: At least 1x Biteregina,
Blue: 3x Nuaele/Zaura

Damage Modifiers post later down the thread

Section 2: Blog (Current Progress, Videos, etc.)

This section is solely focused on my current progress and videos such that you can better gauge the potential of the build.

Old Videos:

12 Likes

What do you mean by that? There IS access to that… you only need lvl 6 umbo blow and 3 high guard… no?

Because I do have a peltasta 2 and it does have that.

I might just not understand what you meant there though.
outside of that nice guide!

Oh I misunderstood, since I was looking at here: https://tos.neet.tv/attributes/102020 and thought High Guard Lv. 6 was needed. I should have checked in-game. Thanks, I will fix that!

Excellent guide, Friend.
Im from Japan so please forgive my poor english.
I just started this game and i love warrior so much no matter how suck my frd tell me dis class in TOS. I just love to be a frontline warrior.
I have read your guide times over times. And i have also check so many youtube video, compare with pel2 vs hop1, i found your build is the quickest burst among all of that.

So May i ask you several question to you Dear friend.
0 ) Even we max murmillo’s attribute into pel’s skills, is dat still not enough compare with hop?

1 ) I have checked database, the only reason u use sword is just because u have a better weapon? So if there is two weapon with same item level, u might use spear and finestra, is dat any other reason why u use sword?

2 ) From the words you mentioned in the first paragraph,you said lots dps is better than murmillo, i dont understand so far because from all the youtube video, your build is really rocks better than those. So wat class is dat good u cant reach them, please list.

3 )I really really love swordsman class, is dat possible a dopple/fencer/dragoon can have so much burst like you.

Thank you very much, i really appreciat what you showed to me.

outdated

Update with new information: In Bossing (Demon Lord Blut), I now think Doppelsoldner is #1, Murmillo #2, Fencer #3 (Venier)

Fencer will scale better when they get their Lolopanther Rapier. It is also much cheaper to fund a Doppel/Fencer over Murmillo, and get more damage.

Thanks for reading my guide, though it’s very incomplete! I’ll try to also write the same thing I wrote in English, in Japanese.

コメントありがとうございます!このガイドはまだ完成ではないですけど、見てもらってありがとうございます!日本語で同じことを書いてみました。自分の日本語力はまだまだですけど、硬い表現を使うのが許してください!

I was going to write this in the guide, but I haven’t had the time recently, to write more detail. このことをガイドに書いたほしいですけど、最近時間がないので、書いてませんでした。

From the formulas:

Umbo Blow Lv 10:
373.88 Base Damage (+400%) (Cassis Crista) = 1869.4

Rim Blow Lv 10:
379.05 (+ 400%) (Cassis Crista) = 1895.25

With High Guard (-7% ATK):
Umbo Blow Lv 10:
(1869.4 + ATK) * 330%

Rim Blow Lv 10:
(1895.25+ ATK) * 330%

Total Damage (Rim + Umbo):
(1869.4 + 1895.25+ 2ATK93%- (2*Monster’s DEF)) * 330%

But, it is very inconvenient to turn off High Guard in the middle of the Shinobi Combo. The cast animation is very long for both skills, so it will take up more time, and may not fit in the Glass Mole card buff. Also, it’s very difficult to use Umbo Blow and Rim Blow’s additional damage bonuses.

でもハイガードのバフを忍びコンボ中で消すのは面倒くさいし、アンボブローとリンブローのアニメーションは長いし、時間がかかります。グラスモールのバフの時間にも入らない場合もあります。それに、アンボブローとリンブローのボーナスダメージが使いにくいです。

Synchro Thrust can be used with a sword, but from its tooltip:

Synchro Thrusting Lv 5:
Spear Damage = 336 * (+280%) (Cassis Crista) = 1276.8
Shield Damage = (336 + (5 * Shield DEF)) (+280%) = 1276.8 + 5*Shield DEF (+280%)

Synchro Thrust is weird, but it has two hits:
1st hit (Pierce): Spear Damage + Shield Damage = 1276.8 + 1276.8 + 5Shield DEF (+280%)
2nd hit(Strike): Shield Damage only: 1276.8 + 5
Shield DEF (+280%)

Total:
(Pierce)(1276.8 + 1276.8+ 5Shield DEF (+280%) + ATK) +(Strike) (940.8 + 5Shield DEF (+280) + ATK)

I'll use my Attack( and shield's DEF (225 DEF) as an example, on Demon Lord Blut (https://tos.neet.tv/npcs/58579)'s defense (1133 DEF) for example: 例で自分のATKと縦のDEFを使います。魔将ブルッド(https://tos.neet.tv/npcs/58579)のDEFも使います。

(MinATK +MaxATK)/2 = (2115 + 3126)/2 =2620.5

Rim Blow + Umbo Blow without High Guard:
(1869.4 + 1895.25+ 2ATK93%- (2Monster’s DEF))
= (1869.4 + 1895.25 + 2
2620.593%- (21133))
= 6387.66

Rim Blow + Umbo Blow with High Guard:
6387.66 * 330%
= 21 079.278 Damage
before CRIT, Attributes, etc.

Synchro Thrust:
(Pierce)(1276.8 + 1276.8 + 5Shield DEF (+280%) + ATK) - MonDEF+(Strike) (1276.8 + 5Shield DEF (+280%) + ATK) - MonDEF
= (Pierce)(1276.8+ 1276.8+ 5225 (+280%) + 2620.5) - 1133 +(Strike) (1276.8+ 5225 (+280%) + 2620.5) - 1133
= (Pierce)(8316.1) - 1133 + (Strike)(6711.3) - 1133
= (Pierce)6519.1 + (Strike)7039.3
before CRIT, Attributes, etc.

Due to the easiness of using of Synchro Thrust’s counter (bonus damage) and speed, it’s likely that Hoplite will do more damage on average than Peltasta C2.
シンクロのほうがボーナスダメージを使いやすいとアニメーションが速いので、ホプライトの平均ダメージがペルタスタ2より高いです。

I use sword because it gives more damage to a single target with the Transcendence system, because it has a higher base damage. If I needed to worry about more AoE, I would have picked Spear, as Finestra will give +3 AoE Attack Ratio, and the additional Critical Rate will allow me to use Gladiator Bands all the time for +2 more AoE Attack Ratio. (Currently I’m using Sword + 2 Gladiator Bands though.) Before Abdochar, I was using the Pygry Spear actually, which is also a good pick.

剣のほうはボスで槍よりダメージが高いです。槍は剣よりAoEダメージが高いです。AoEダメージをほしかったら、槍を使うと思う。理由はFinestraのAoE ATK Ratio+3ボーナスもある、クリもあって、グラディエーターバンドもいつでも使えになります。(今剣とグラディエーターバンドを使いますけど。)アヴドーチャを作った前にフィグロスピアを使いました。フィグロスピアはいい武器だと思います。

It’s true my class has more burst than other classes, but over a longer period of time, such as fighting a Demon Lord (300mil+ HP) with Melstis, my class will rank less than a Fletcher-Mergen or Fencer for example, with the same amount of silver spent. My class also does not have as much AoE damage as a Doppelsoldner in ET either (half the monsters are leather). However, the other classes also have their own weaknesses too. I think without Melstis, this build will actually do more damage.

確かに、忍び・ムルミロのバーストは非常に高いですけど、継続的なダメージは少ないです。
例えば、魔将ボス(300M以上HP) の場合、皆はメルスティスを使いますので、フレッチャー・メルゲンとフェンサーより忍び・ムルミロのほうが弱いです(そのクラスより位が下です)。
大地の塔にドッペルソルドナーより忍び・ムルミロのAoEダメージも少し弱いです(半分のモンスターがレザー属性)。でも、他のクラスが不利もあります。

From my answer in the previous question, Fencer seems to have more single target than Murmillo over a long time with Melstis, and Doppelsoldner has more AoE. Shinobi-Murmillo might not be the strongest in either, but I think it’s #2 in the Swordsman tree for both categories.

I think Shinobi-Murmillo is the strongest in the lower HP bosses. Also If Fencers don’t have Melstis, I they can’t keep up Epee Garde all the time, and Murmillo will be stronger. It’s also much tankier with access to shields.

Despite its weaknesses, this is my favourite class so I will stick with it!

上に書いたけど、高いHPボスでメルスティスを使うフェンサーより忍び・ムルミロが弱いです。大地の塔にドッペルソルドナーより忍び・ムルミロのAoEダメージも少し弱いです。
忍び・ムルミロはボスとAoEダメージにどちも一番強いではないですけど、忍び・ムルミロは2番と思います。

忍び・ムルミロは魔将以外のボスに一番強いと思います。もしフェンサーがメルスティスを使わなくなる、エペ・ギャルドをいつでも使わなくなって、忍び・ムルミロは一番になると思います。忍び・ムルミロは縦を使わなければなりませんので、他のソードマンより丈夫です。

不利もあるけど、忍び・ムルミロは私の一番好きなクラスです!このキャラーが成長を続けると思います!

5 Likes

I’m a bit confused why you are mentioning this. You will never use finestra because you are only using a sword for murmillo.

Seems like you are just including fluff to defend your pelt1 hop1 build reasoning.

I think what he meant is that, if you go hoplite you can use a spear to get the finestra buff.

All murm skills work with spears so you have the option to choose use a spear to get the bonus crit rate and AoE ratio.

1 Like

No? Murmillo is sword or rapier only i thought.

Nevermind. October patch changed it. That’s what I get for taking a break from the game.

We didn’t even get that version of Murmillo in iToS.

Fun fact, the skills even work with a Mace.

But to be clear, your current equip is a sword, so finestra is doing nothing for you. Correct?

Edit: Another question - sorry, I’m making this build myself and I want to make sure I didn’t make a huge mistake

5619.85 * 250%

The text from the attribute is

So shouldn’t that be 330% or am I misreading something?

Yeah Finestra does nothing for me, I removed that skill.

I agree, it should be 330% if I understand too. Let me correct it.

1 Like

Thank you for the replies. Still seems like you’re right about Hoplite being better. I went pelta 2. Hopefully I don’t regret it too much.

I am not going to make another shinobi after the hell it was to get that flower.

[details=outdated]The guide is still very incomplete, I could go more in-depth with it.

Synchro Thrust has a much higher damage ceiling, since it scales so hard off Shield Defense. It’s a 2 hit move with the first hit being pierce, that doubly scales off Murmillo’s attributes (for some weird reason it’s both the tooltip spear + shield hit combined), and the second hit move is just the tooltip shield hit.

So if you had a stage 10 transcended shield with 250 base pdef, the shield hit tooltip would be:

Shield Damage = (336 + 5 * Shield DEF)
= (336 + 5 * ((250)*3.75) )
= 5 023.5

With Cassis Crista:
= 5 023.5 (+280%) = 19 089.3

Total Damage with the same numbers as above:

ATK: (MinATK +MaxATK)/2 = (2115 + 3126)/2 =2620.5
Blut Defense: 1133

Synchro Thrust Total Dmg:
(Pierce)(1276.8 + 1276.8 + 5*Shield DEF (+280%)+ ATK) - MonDEF+(Strike) (1276.8 + 19 089.3 + ATK) - MonDEF
= (Pierce)(1276.8 + 1276.8 + 19 089.3 + 2620.5) - 1133 +(Strike) (1276.8 + 19 089.3 + 2620.5) - 1133
= (Pierce) 23 130.4 + (Strike) 21 853.6

Ok I’m actually making lots of mistakes with Cassis Crista Attributes, I’ll go revise it now. I often get lost in the numbers with Shinobi Clones active.[/details]

1 Like

[details=outdated]More details on Bunshin Mechanics updated:

I also have a 9 minute blut video I’m uploading soon.

Bunshin no Jutsu Mechanics:

• Clones will snapshot your weapon on time of creation, always have your weapon and shield on before creating them (shieldless clones can’t use shield-requiring skills)
  • Clones don’t take buffs, including Cassis Crista (and its damage boost), Sacrament, Enchant Fire, Pass, Quicken, etc.
  • Damage buffs like Gung Ho, Blessing, and Concentrate (also Swell Left Arm, etc.) are still taken into consideration in the damage calculation
  • Clones have their own HP Bars and can take heals, ausrine charges
  • Summoning new clones replaces the old ones

Ideal Bunshin Rotation:

1. Use SP Potion (Proc Glass mole)
  2. Bunshin no Jutsu (snapshot attack)
  3. Kunai x2
  4. Apply Strike Debuffs (Slithering, High Kick, Headbutt)
  5. Shooting Star, Synchro Thrust, Shield Bash in any order
  6. Umbo Blow / Rim Blow / Thrust (filler until Kunai comes back up)
  7. Kunai x2
  8. (Clones disappear)[/details]
1 Like

If I remember correctly, someone told me that bunshin snapshots gmoles. Wouldn’t you want to proc glassmole at the very last 0.5 sec before your bunshin channeling finish? I could be wrong

Interesting, I’ll try this out and let you know if it works!

It works, thanks for the correction! It definitely should be more attack overall than using it in the middle of rotation.

I also uploaded a Demon Lord Blut hunting video:

Most of the white numbers are Kagura while my damage is yellow.

2 Likes

Can I get your advice on something? As a pelta2 version of this build, what’s the better attribute to max first, Enhanced Peltasta or Enhanced Rodelero.

I won’t have enough silver for both after headbutt additional damage and repeated hits attack boost.

In my case, I did Enhanced Rodelero before Hoplite, for a better off-Shinobi rotation with Targe Smash. I think either is fine though, just which skills you like more.

1 Like

synchro thrust damage (pierce), no debuffs, only glassmole

synchro thrust sucks, can’t even hit cap dude

2 Likes